PDA

View Full Version : Do you CO/shampoo hair every time you have a shower/bath?

xladolcevitax
September 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I was just wondering how many of you who CO, CWC or just plain old wash with shampoo then condition do so every time you have a shower or bath?

I CO every time I shower or bath, and shampoo & condition once every week or 2 weeks... Ive just always done this and didnt think until the other day that maybe it would be better for my hair if i just let it get wet without putting anything on it sometimes and only CO once a week instead?

Or is it a good idea to use a shower cap int he shower/tie hair up in the bath to not let your hair get wet and then only wet it when youre actually conditioning or washing it?

I know many people only use water/sebum to wash their hair, but if you hair is very dry and damaged like mine is, is it drying to just use water only on it a few times a week?

Sorry for all the questions i realise that the only way to find out what works for my hair is to experiment/change my routine a bit which i will do, but was interested to see what others do and have to say about this!:)

sibiryachka
September 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM
My hair has never responded well to being wetted without washing; it goes limp or frizzy, depending. If I want a quick rinse-off without washing my hair, I just keep my hair out of the water. That doesn't happen often, though. Usually I just shower when my hair is ready to wash.

spidermom
September 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I only wash my hair twice a week (on average) and use a shower cap between washings. Having wet hair is a hassle for me; it takes forever to dry and gets my clothes all wet (which is not bad on a hot day, not so nice on a cool/cold day).

Carolyn
September 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
If I don't want to wash (any method) when I take a bath/shower I put it up in a claw clip to keep it out of the way. I'm not fond of using shower caps for anything other then deep conditioning treatments. If I get my hair wet and don't do some kind of a wash, it ends up lank and stringy. I wash 3-4 times a week and a bath 5-6 times a week. If I'm away from home I usually shower and wash my hair every day. I like to look my best when I'm away.

If your ends are dry maybe wetting or CO'ing more often would moisturize them? The longer I go without washing my hair, the drier it gets.

LoversLullaby
September 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
No, I don't. Sometimes I'll run it under water, but most of the time I just slap on a shower cap. :)

mellie89
September 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I wash my hair every other day, and on the off days I just put my hair in a bun on the top of my head for my shower. If I rinse my hair without doing anything to it, it dries stringy and lank.

Suze334
September 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I co everyday- my hair loves the moisture and dries fairly fast because it is very fine. I cwc about once every week to ten days.

ravenreed
September 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I am another one who cannot just wet my hair without it looking horrible. I do shower without CO-ing it. I just stick my hair up in my aquapearls and it is fine.

FrizzFighter
September 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I CWC every third day (sometimes less). The days in between I put my hair up high in a bun or clip during my shower. My hair takes a long time to dry and I leave it down while it's drying, so it's too much of a hassle to wash it more often. My hair stays in better condition with less washing.

JenniferNoel
September 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Depends on why I'm in the shower. If I just washed my hair the day before and I needed to get something off of my skin like dirt or sunscreen then probably not unless whatever was on my skin got on my hair.

slz
September 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Just like spidermom, wetting my hair everyday would mean 24/24, 7/7 wet hair on my head shudder: .

Cinnamoon
September 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I wash twice a week, and just put my hair up in a bun for non-wash days.

Spike
September 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
< raises hand >

I wet it every morning in the shower. I CO every day, CWC every other day. (edited to add-- I wear my hair up all day, so no drippies and no wet. I also live in Arizona--no humidity to speak of, and hot, hot hot. My hair is just barely dampish when I take it down at night.) Oil the length with Nightblooming's Triple Anointing Oil, oil the scalp with castor.

Have added 1/2 inch to my thickness and ELIMINATED the stubborn dandruff that plagued me for years.

All I can say is YMMV. I know some folks find washing (even CO) this often damages their hair. Give it a shot for a week/month and see how your own personal hair reacts.

Henrietta
September 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
No. I wash my hair every 3 days, sometimes it has nothing to do with bath because I wash it in the middle of the day. My hair stays dry, I mean not only I don't use shampoo. I don't make it wet at all between washes. I clip it up when I sit in the bathtub or I use shower cap when I am in a shower.

vintersaga
September 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
No, I CO once a week but I shower every day in the summer and every other day in the winter. :)

MissManda
September 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I prefer to wash my hair on an as-needed basis, so I don't wash my hair every time I shower. I just put it up in a shower cap so it doesn't get wet and call it good.

There is an advantage to doing this for me, however, which makes me very happy. I find that if I put it in a fully-rolled sock bun or a braid/braids and leave them in for several hours after my shower, the moisture and heat help curls and waves stay in my hair (my hair won't hold wave/curl unless it is completely dry, which is annoying).

Arianwen
September 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Nope. I keep my hair dry (mostly) in the shower on my non-wash days or if I'm too lazy to wash it.

virgo75
September 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, I wash my hair everytime I shower.
I've been trying to cut down out of laziness, but I'm failing. :lol:
No matter how lazy I am, I can't take my hair feeling dry.

Like Carolyn, my hair feels drier the longer I go without water.
I've tried tons of leave-ins, oils, etc. and nothing keeps my hair feeling moisturized as well as water+shampoo+conditioner. :shrug:

Though honestly, if I found something that made my hair feel good for days, I would probably wash a bit less often. And I plan on trying to cut down in the Winter. If I can't I'll just switch to washing in the evenings instead of in the a.m. when I shower.

slythwolf
September 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I don't have the patience to be dealing with drying hair every day, and I don't find it gets too greasy between washings when I wash once or twice a week, so I have m'self a shower cap.

xladolcevitax
September 5th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, its been interesting!

I'm not sure that my hair would respond well to COing it less often because it is so dry but i will give it a try for a week or so.

I recently destroyed it with sun-in :( (yes i know very very stupid thing to do) and im trying to let it recover as much as possible which is why im going to try COing less.

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure that my hair would respond well to COing it less often because it is so dry but i will give it a try for a week or so.

I recently destroyed it with sun-in :( (yes i know very very stupid thing to do) and im trying to let it recover as much as possible which is why im going to try COing less.I would think that conditioning/co'ing more often would help your hair more. I have had some experience with Sun In. Hair that is wrecked by Sun In needs moisture. CO is quite moisturizing. So don't be afraid to do it often. You could oil the night before too. CO is great at getting out oil.

xladolcevitax
September 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I have been using lots of jojoba oil, which has really helped and have been leaving lots of it in all over my head over night too.

My hair still seems to be breaking/snapping off so easily though, and i just realised that maybe it has been getting too much protien and not enough moisture as im currently using 2 deep conditioners that contain protien..

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have been using lots of jojoba oil, which has really helped and have been leaving lots of it in all over my head over night too.

My hair still seems to be breaking/snapping off so easily though, and i just realised that maybe it has been getting too much protien and not enough moisture as im currently using 2 deep conditioners that contain protien..I've had the same thing happen to me. I'd back off the protein and up the moisture and see what happens. When I cut out the protein for a while my hair stopped snapping off. Maybe that would work for you too.

Honey39
September 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I CO_wash my hair every morning when I have my daily shower. I've been doing that for over two years, with a shampoo thrown in every two or three months. I love it, that feeling of freshness and damp hair! I usually leave it in a turbie for about half an hour, then wear it in a bun for a few hours, and then let down to dry at work. It's such low maintenance, suits me down to the grounds to be honest.

xladolcevitax
September 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I've had the same thing happen to me. I'd back off the protein and up the moisture and see what happens. When I cut out the protein for a while my hair stopped snapping off. Maybe that would work for you too.

I'm going to go CO all the time now which should hopefully improve its condition, and I discovered Martix Biolage Conditioning balm, have used it twice now and my hair feels AMAZING! It must be the best conditioner I have ever used.. and no cones! My hair now feels like there was no sun-in mishap at all!:cheese:

pepperminttea
September 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Nope. I wash my hair every 5-7 days but I shower most days. I usually clip up the sleep braid and don't worry about the frizzies that get a bit damp round the edges.

Deborah
September 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
No. I wash my hair once a week, but bathe or shower at least once a day. I slap my hair up into a sloppy bun, then put on something that looks like a shower cap, but is just made of loosely woven fabric. I suppose it's meant to be a sleep cap. That works well for me.

Capybara
September 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I don't wash my hair every shower/bath. I use a cute reusable fabric shower cap to keep my hair from getting wet, both during showers and baths. :)

Lianna
September 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, I do, at least CO. Unless I need to take more than two showers a day.

eamane
September 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
No, I shower pretty much every morning but I don't wash (CO) my hair more than once a week.

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
My hair has never responded well to being wetted without washing; it goes limp or frizzy, depending. If I want a quick rinse-off without washing my hair, I just keep my hair out of the water. That doesn't happen often, though. Usually I just shower when my hair is ready to wash.

Me too! My hair is so weird. It can be freshly washed and looking great...but then if enough rain drops get on it, it will look horrid no matter what I do unless I shampoo it. The same with getting it wet through swimming at the pool, with the water hose when washing the car, the beach.... my hair just doesn't like being wet without cleaned. :poot: It also doesn't respond well to not having any shampoo. My hair apparently just likes shampoo. :o

dfotw
September 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, I CO every day, unless it's CWC-day (twice a week, more or less). I can't get decent second-day curls, so I prefer to wet my hair and get new ones every day... :D