PDA

View Full Version : Curl spirals and direction

Just_Isabel
May 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I noticed that all of my hair curls counterclockwise the other day, so now I'm curious about everyone else's curls. :D

I hope I didn't forget anything important in my poll. :o :cheese:

Kiraela
May 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
All of my little baby hairs, nape hairs, etc are spirally, but they spiral in differing directions depending on what side of my head they're on - it's a pretty even split down the middle.

spidermom
May 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM
I've never paid attention so haven't voted yet. My guess is that they go all over the place. I've seen shed hairs that sort of zig-zag in a tight wave then spiral but finish relatively straight with maybe a weird bend or two.

DecafJane
May 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Different directions, overall. Hair from the same area of my head tends to go in the same direction, but it varies. (I felt obliged to put a curly picture of me with longer hair in my album, as I have been feeling like a bit of a fraud with my brushed-out-and-dried-in-an-updo length shots. :P )

harley mama
May 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
It depends on the cheese. :cheese:

My hair is wild and does what it wants.

nappywomyn
May 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
One strand of my hair curls in different directions... :lol:

girlcat36
May 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
My hair is just.....wonky.

sapphire-o
May 22nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
My waves aren't curly enough to tell. All I know is twisting my hair clockwise is 10 times easier than the other way around.

Just_Isabel
May 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Interesting.
Now I have to wonder what determines this... And I wonder if each hair (or segment of hair ;)) always turns in the same direction if it's allowed to dry without manipulation... :lol:

florenonite
May 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
I only have a couple of spirals on wash day on either side of my face, so I said in both directions equally.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I washed and air-dried without combing or anything else this morning. My guess was right; my spirals go all over the place. I've even got strands that start out spiraling in one direction, then have sort of a straight area, then finish up spiraling in the opposite direction.

Medvssa
May 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Counter-clockwise

Cichelle
May 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
My hair only really spirals at the bottom. The rest is more like waves. From the pictures I just looked at, the ends seem to spiral counter clockwise. But the more I looked, the more confused I got about the direction. So, I'm going with...I can't really tell.

Just_Isabel
May 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
My hair only really spirals at the bottom. The rest is more like waves. From the pictures I just looked at, the ends seem to spiral counter clockwise. But the more I looked, the more confused I got about the direction. So, I'm going with...I can't really tell.

:lol: I'm horrible at all things spacial, and I also can't tell from pictures what direction is which. - I can't even tell left from right without thinking about which hand I write with or looking to see where my watch is!

Just wanted to "report" that yesterday I dried my hair differently and today I do have some clockwise turning lose spirals.

Sofoulee
May 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
I just checked it out in front of the computer in a dark room.. they spin both directions. If I grab a handfull of curls I can see both ways in each handful, they have to be equal! lol

Rain
May 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Counterclockwise. Just noticed that for the first time this morning, actually. :blushing:

mugglemomof3
May 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Gee Spidermom - your hair and mine must be first cousins!!!

Exactly what she said.

Dulci
May 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Interesting. Mostly counterclockwise, but a few ropes start out counterclockwise, then get straightish, then turn clockwise.

freznow
May 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Oooh but the real question is... In comparison with which side of the equator you are on, what direction do they curl? The same way the toilet flushes? hmmm!?!?

Just_Isabel
May 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Oooh but the real question is... In comparison with which side of the equator you are on, what direction do they curl? The same way the toilet flushes? hmmm!?!?

Bwahaha! I thought about that, too, but I do believe (keyword here is believe :lol: I have no proof or anything) that the direction hair curls has more to do with its molecular structure than with which hemisphere you're on.

But maybe... maybe the water spins around the hair as it falls from the shower head to the floor, and the direction the water spirals around the strands influences how the hair will curl? :D That would be fun, and it would depend on the hemisphere. :eyebrows:

rhubarbarin
May 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Mine is wurly.. it starts out as s-waves, then spirals counter-clockwise, but some of the curls bend and swirl the other way, then back (so there's a long curl with a big bendy S in the middle of it). Then the ends are all counter-clockwise for the last 6-8" or so. Weird!

lilalong
May 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have any spirals, that stay in after drying, but this is an interesting question.

goldilocks
May 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Mine go mostly clockwise, but occasionally I have a rebel curl or 2 that just won't conform. LOL But then there are times when they most go counter-clockwise but that does not normally happen.

DotDotDot
May 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think they go in different directions, but a bunch of them don't even go in regular spirals. They'll kind of spiral and make a shape similar to a c-clamp, then keep going, if you get what I'm saying.

ZaBasDa
May 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Uhm. My hair doesn't behave very nice, but the majority curls in a counter-clockwise motion. All of the clockwise or otherwise weird curls exist, I think, because they dried with a straight-ish section or I squashed them while I was sleeping.

Flibbertigibbet
May 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM
My hair generally curls counter-clockwise. I wish that I could eat cheese and change its direction! :D

eadwine
May 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I have LOOOONG spirals and a curl or two, the spirals go counter clockwise, the curls I believe clockwise, but I haven't paid too much attention to their direction though.

orangeeyecrayon
June 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
my hair tends to curl all weird. like the front always curls away from my face, the back i cant really tell and the bottom is to short to do anything but curl under (than and my colars tend to work out any curls i get there)

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I can't really tell--my curls are a bit flat today, but I'd say counterclockwise.

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Theyre wild they do what they want

CircesButterfly
January 25th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I have both types of curls but mainly on the ends of my hair I have counterclockwise curls.