PDA

View Full Version : Reputable donation programs

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
I hope this okay to post this here. I have a friend from another forum (horse) whose daughter likes to donate her hair (I cringe, because her she has this stunning red hair :o). I told her about LoL because not-so-reputable, and she asked me if I had any other suggestions.

I know some of you have suggested Pantene, but is there any others that I can suggest to her?

Riot Crrl
May 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
She could sell it herself and donate the money.

akurah
May 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Pantene, also a company makes mats from hair to soak up oil spills in the ocean. If I were to donate hair, my hair would go for the latter.

PseudoScot
May 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
You might find some great info on this thread, I sure did!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=547

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
She did say that her daughter had donated to Wigs for Kids. http://www.wigsforkids.org/ Anybody know anything about them?

Ursula
May 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
To figure out if a company will use the hair to make wigs, as promised, you can easily figure it out, with a few numbers.

You want to know:

1. The number of hair donations they recieve in a year. (d)
2. The number of donations needed to make a wig. (n)
3. The number of wigs made in a year. (w)

From this, you can calculate the percent of hair made into wigs.

Divide donations (d) by the number of donations needed (n), to get the potential number of wigs made. (p)

d/n=p

Take the actual number of wigs made, and divide by the potential number of wigs, then multipy by 100. This gives you the percent of hair used in wigs.

w/p *100 = Percent of hair used

A reputable agency will have all of these numbers available, and will have a high percentage of hair used in wigs. An unreliable agency will hide these numbers, or use only a small proportion of the hair.

You may need to calculate some of the orignal numbers. For example, they may tell you the number of donations per week, or per month, instead of per year - just multiply to get the right number.