PDA

View Full Version : Radiation question!

Mirsha
September 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
I start college next week and I realized I'm going to be working with gamma rays. I'm kind of worried about how stray radiation will affect my health, specifically my hair (this IS LHC).

I realize that in a perfect situation I shouldn't be worried at all, but the equipment at the college is pretty old.. and nothing's perfect. Stray radiation is different than intentional radiation of course, but since I'm aiming to work at a hospital with nuclear medicine maybe over time it will affect me?

Sorry for this I feel like I should know this after years of physics at school LOL

Tuntenut
September 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
I found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning) on wikipedia. The "Exposure Levels" section has a chart that, from what I can read, lists amounts of annual exposure to radiation and the associated symptoms. My knowledge of physics is very limited at best, so the numbers probably make a lot more sense to you. :) But as far as I understand, it takes a pretty heavy dose to cause direct hair loss.

Anje
September 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I'd be more worried about you if you're going to be exposed to enough radiation to affect your hair. There are fairly tight protocols about this sort of thing in the US, at least.

Frankly, I'd suggest that you run screaming if they don't pass out radiation badges (which monitor your exposure) beforehand.

Mirsha
September 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
They have radiation badges, those are tightly monitored. The bucky chambers (I'm sure they're named different in English but I can't find it atm) are free to use without supervision after initial training. They're wired so they don't work when the door's not closed, no proper student has logged into the system and you're blocked if you start work without calculating dosages first (system controlled). They haven't explained any of the other protocols yet.

Still though I'm kind of worried! It's probably just anxiety from starting something new.. Maybe over time there will be side effects? I guess what has me worried most is that I didn't see any of the female teachers with hair longer than pixie! lol!

Konstifik
September 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Mm, apart from the other replies from here, I have another good news. This is quite new research and has as far as I know not been tested and observed in humans yet. But tests on mice in the radioactive grounds of tjernobyl showed that their bodies quickly became resistant to non-lethal doses. And I guess that even if something goes wrong at your college, you won't be sprayed with lethal/carciogenic doses for a long time. :)

young&reckless
September 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
If your aiming to work in nuclear medicine you will over time get a lot of radiation yourself. Start researching safety and exposer now, before you make and career choices.

Upside my friend who is a nuclear med tech has thud worthy hair.

Shany
September 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
I start college next week and I realized I'm going to be working with gamma rays. I'm kind of worried about how stray radiation will affect my health, specifically my hair (this IS LHC).

I realize that in a perfect situation I shouldn't be worried at all, but the equipment at the college is pretty old.. and nothing's perfect. Stray radiation is different than intentional radiation of course, but since I'm aiming to work at a hospital with nuclear medicine maybe over time it will affect me?

Sorry for this I feel like I should know this after years of physics at school LOL

I work with X-Rays, it's much less harmful than gamma (in roengten equivalent man), but the protection is similar. You wear a radiation exposure badge(dosimeter) that is verified every 3 months (I live in Canada) just in case there's something wrong with the devices (it almost never happens). Also, (I'm not sure about gamma though), the room has a ''shield'' of lead to absorb the radiations and you don't stay in the room when you press the button. Approximatively 100 years ago, radiologists didn't have any radioprotection and weren't aware of radiation dangers. They mostly died of leucemia at a very young age ( around 45). Here, the law about radioprotection is very strict. At my school (it's an old school, but they had to renovate to meet the requirements), the lead shields(doors, door windows, walls, cieiling and floor of the X-Ray rooms) are about twice thicker than the requirements. I don't know where you live, but there must be a radioprotection security code.

Radiations can damage your healthy cells or kill them. They can cause chromosomal damage that can be hereditary transmitted. You can lose your hair if the machine sends rays through your head (high dose or on a regular basis). Usually, it happens when someone has brain radiotherapy. Don't worry...unless you have a brain tumor (and I hope not).

I don't know if it's called radioprotection in English...maybe it's radiation protection? Sorry if I used the wrong word.

julliams
September 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Take a peek at the 3rd years. If they are all thinning or bald, run for the hills. LOL! Just joking. I'm sure it will be fine. There would be strict rules about what is safe and what isn't and if you are at all concerned I'm sure you could ask a supervisor to put your mind at rest. Just make sure you follow all the protocol and wear all the necessary gear ALL the time.

Bast
September 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
All the professors may have pixie cuts because that's what's expected of them fashon-wise...after all, look at what hairstylists say!