PDA

View Full Version : Mixing oils in spray - How?

Konstifik
September 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hi!

I'm thinking of making my own rose water spray, using dried roses and various oils like lavender, jasmine, ylang ylang or whatever I find.
But, as far as I know, oils tend to float pretty good. If so, how could I make them mixed in the rose water instead of just floating at the top?

Ursula
September 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
For my detangler spray (aloe gel and broccoli seed oil in water, sometimes with a bit of esential oil for scent) I just shake the spray bottle well before each use, which temporarily suspends the oils in the water.

Konstifik
September 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Ah, and the oils mix well? Not in big drops inside the water? :)

Mirsha
September 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Well the harder you shake the smaller the little drops of oil get in the water. The oils should mix without a problem :D

Konstifik
September 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Oh good! :D

ChloeDharma
September 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Ah, and the oils mix well? Not in big drops inside the water? :)

I often add essential oils to water in a spray bottle for hair, the dogs. spraying furniture etc to scent it. Like Ursula i just give it a good shake and it seems to work fine.

Carolyn
September 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
You need to shake the bottle each time you use it and after a few sprays to re mix it. I use one of those mister things for spraying things in the kitchen. I got it at Williams Sonoma. Works great.

Konstifik
September 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm glad I didn't have to add anything that makes the oils more soluble. :D

PeonyGarden
September 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
If you wanted, you could also add a little alcohol to your mix - the oils should bind to the alcohol, and the alcohol will interact with the water. However, I still think mixing might be easier :p!

OhMyCurlz
September 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
The only thing best for that would be polysorbate (which you can get from a supplier). Oils and water dont naturally mix, if you are using essential oils just shake well before usage and it should do well. Dont add carrier oils to your water unless you intend to refrigerate as this will cause mold/bactera over a very short period of time.