PDA

View Full Version : Diuretics and hair loss

Nevada Rose
September 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well, I have been battling with diuretics and was losing some hair while on them. It's been a year, and I have suspected that they are the culprit. I am on high powered vitamins and take krill oil, and have now decided to go entirely holistic. Even dandelions are a natural diuretic, but I don't especially like the taste.
I thought something was strange about diuretics because I felt totally imbalanced, and lo and behold, of course, I was depleted of electrolytes. Diuretics make you go often....,and everything else seems to go with it, like vitamins and nutrients and electrolytes, etc. Yeh, everything we need to keep our hair growing and to keep it healthy. I always had a beautiful head of hair, and this past year has freaked me out with the hair loss.

I will now take it up with my new doctor......,Mother Nature.:guns:

Purdy Bear
September 3rd, 2010, 03:21 AM
I agree the diuretics maybe the culprit. The gut contains lots stuff that can control your nutrition and also your immunity, so anything that effects it will effect the rest of the body.

In a programme I watched they highly recommended natural yoghurt, garlic (and the rest of the onion family), globe artichokes to help the gut grow better flora. They infact work quicker then the tablet form of acidophilus. Pineapple contains a natural stomache enzyme, so that might help as well. You may wish to watch your banana intake as these reverse diarrhoea so could be causing constipation etc.

The only thing about vitamins is if the gut isnt working well then the nutrients wont be taken on board properly. Maybe your Dr could recommend a diet/eating plan change that would work better then the Diuretics.

Nevada Rose
September 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I agree the diuretics maybe the culprit. The gut contains lots stuff that can control your nutrition and also your immunity, so anything that effects it will effect the rest of the body.

In a programme I watched they highly recommended natural yoghurt, garlic (and the rest of the onion family), globe artichokes to help the gut grow better flora. They infact work quicker then the tablet form of acidophilus. Pineapple contains a natural stomache enzyme, so that might help as well. You may wish to watch your banana intake as these reverse diarrhoea so could be causing constipation etc.

The only thing about vitamins is if the gut isnt working well then the nutrients wont be taken on board properly. Maybe your Dr could recommend a diet/eating plan change that would work better then the Diuretics.

Thank you Purdy Bear. I have been working on my diet to help, but also have a hard time sticking to it. I bought some Greek yogurt. I don't like plain yogurt, but this one I really enjoy. The taste is outstanding. And you're right about the garlic. I make a sandwich spread which is very simple. Mashed avocadoes, a dab of mayo, salt and pepper, and a LOT of crushed garlic. I go overboard, 3 or 4 large cloves. I have been eating what you recommended, your post reininforced what I had heard. I will take your advice about the onions also. I love chives:) I will also check on a diet plan as you pointed out. If there is a way to control this without diuretics, I am willing to pursue it, you bet. Again, thank you for your help.:poot: