PDA

View Full Version : International redhead day

Igor
September 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to point out that Saturday is International redhead day (http://www.roodharigen.nl/en/) :eyebrows:

MsBubbles
September 2nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have never heard of this! Thanks for posting. I told my son about it. Now he wants to go. :)

Aevra
September 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Oh! That is super awesome!

It's very exciting.

akuamoonmaui
September 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Woo hoo! Anyone know the origins of the day?

akuamoonmaui
September 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Redheadday is the name of a Dutch summer festival that takes place each first weekend of September in the city of Breda, in the Netherlands. The two-day festival is a gathering of people with natural red hair, but is also focused on art related to the colour red. Activities during the festival are lectures, workshops and demonstrations which are aimed specifically at red-haired people. The festival attracts attendance from 30 countries and is free due to sponsorship of the local government.

estherbeth
September 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I've actually heard of this! I think it would be such fun to go the Netherlands in time for Redheadday, someday. I'm sad that, outside of relatives, I don't actually know that many natural redheads.

JenniferNoel
September 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
That's fantastic! I wish I could attend, but I live a little... err... far away. :p
I have a mad appreciation of red hair (not to mention I have tawny-ginger hair by nature, so I'm biased :eyebrows:) and the event sounds like fun.

PrincessBob
September 2nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
I love this holiday, but I'm excited for TLAPD (Talk Like a :pirate: Day) (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html) on the 19th as well. We have awesome holidays in the world.

Yay for Red heads and Pirates!

Dreams_in_Pink
September 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
Oh god, i'd like to sneak inside wearing a red wig! :D I loooove red hair!!

Stine
September 3rd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Made me think of this video, so funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo46jknMFTc

I love red hair, too...would have loved to be a red-head...

jackiesjottings
September 3rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Yay :))) I always see myself as a red as I was born with red hair and there is still a lot of red in it so.. yayyyness :)))

*Rose Red*
September 4th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I follow this event on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=47541282961
I can´t be there this year, but I hope I will join next year!

PiroskaCicu
September 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I guess my dyed red doesn't count... :( but I have a close friend who is a redhead! He used to have long hair but he buzzed it all off, sadly...

princessp
September 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hooray sounds fun!

deko
September 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm SO celebrating this redhead-day :)

akuamoonmaui
September 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
IIRC the redhead population is decreasing. Naturally redhair is 25% chance genetically, so 25% of 25% etc...

Igor
September 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
IIRC the redhead population is decreasing. Naturally redhair is 25% chance genetically, so 25% of 25% etc...

Uhm no. Just no.

estherbeth
September 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I don't buy the whole 'redheads are dying out' theory at all. There have been too many born just into my family in the last decade. Not just redheads beget redheads, either.

My mother and father both had red hair. My maternal grandfather had red hair, as did his father and mother (though my maternal grandmother had jet black hair). My paternal grandfather had red hair. One of my father's sisters had red hair. I have two cousins - a brother and sister - on my father's side who have red hair (their parents both have brown hair), and the boy's daughter has red hair. Another of my cousins on my father's side has a young daughter with fiery red hair (his hair is black, his wife's is blonde). On my mother's side of the family, I have a cousin whose son has red hair (her hair is blonde, her husband's is dark brown). Another cousin on that side has a daughter with carrot red hair (both his and his wife's hair is medium brown). A second cousin, very blonde, has toddler twins with heads full of red hair, though their father has blonde hair, too. Those are all I can come up with offhand, and there are relatives living around the country whose kids and grandkids I've never met. Though, judging by how it spreads like wildfire in our gene pool, I'm sure there are plenty of reds among them, too. :laugh:

So, I'm pretty convinced that red hair doesn't dwindle down percentage-wise just through redheaded children of redheads themselves. I don't think we're going anywhere anytime soon. :cheese:

akuamoonmaui
September 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Oh! I hope it's true! The thought was depressing. Unfortunately, my daughter has dark brown hair that fades to blond. In my immediate family it tends to skip a generation or two.

JenniferNoel
September 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Noooooo! I hope that's not true. I mean, I definitely don't see how that could possibly be, other than the illusion of more reds dying their hair for some reason, but really, I don't believe that theory.
There are a lot of crazy myths out there, never believe something just because someone has made up a convincing story with a bunch of big words and numbers. ;)

Igor
September 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
It’s simply not true. Same with that stupid myth that blondes will die out. And blue eyes. And left-handedness. And all those other stupid myths :rolleyes: