PDA

View Full Version : Flattering hairdos for a bit of a double chin

MissySue
September 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the most flattering hairstyles for the dreaded double chin or turkey waddle? I'm finding a bit more flesh under my chin these days, and I don't like it! My weight is within healthy range, albeit at the higher end, but still fine and I'm 41, so I've still got a lot of aging to do but I'm getting my moms turkey waddle. Anyone else dealing with this affliction? What styles do you prefer or do you avoid? I'm finding that the higher my updo the better! Maybe it counteracts the droop below the chin.

My favorites right now (my hair is only somewhere between SL and APL) : high peacock, high peacock with the ends tucked under with sort of a loop left on top (is there a name for that?), high sock bun, a really pathetic version of a cinnamon bun.

I avoid the chignon, and as much as I love the Gibson tuck I avoid that one too. I also don't look good in low buns. All of these styles put volume at the lower part of my head and make the flesh under my chin more pronounced.

Please tell me I'm not alone. :o

What do you do or don't do about it?

MissySue
September 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Bump... am I the only one with this issue?

Annushka
September 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
I've got the same issue, I just don't have the answer! :)
A high bun sounds like a good idea, and I think bangs/sideswept bangs/wispies on the sides might distract from my waddle.

FrizzFighter
September 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I hear you! I am 42 and ever since I turned 40 this has been an issue for me. I feel like my chin is disproportionately loose on my face, if that makes sense. I hate having my picture taken now because that is all I see. Arghh. I try not to care, but...I do. A friend of mine who is in her late 40's just got liposuction for her double chin and she looks great. I am not into surgery unless absolutely medically necessary but I have to say that when I saw her I was seriously tempted. But, I am going to try embracing the aging process. Sigh.
I actually find that two softly braided english braids (started just below each ear) looks good on me. Maybe because it's a youthful hairstyle. I can't wear braids to work though, so for work I wear a peacock or loose high bun of some type, or on wash day I wear it down and loose around my face which maybe isn't most flattering but I love feeling my hair around my face. If you find a great style, please post!