PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolized Wheat Protein = 'Cone?

rhosyn_du
May 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
This is probably as much a chemistry question as a hair care one, but I'm hoping someone can help ease my confusion.

I noticed that "hydrolized wheat protein" is on the 'cones list on the archived forums, and I'm rather confused. I thought hydrolizing proteins was to make them water soluble, and I'm completely baffled as to how the process would produce a silicone. And if hydrolized wheat protein really is somehow magically a silicone, what's so special about wheat that its protein becomes a silicone when hydrolized, but other proteins don't? :ponder:

DrkAngel
May 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Whoa. Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein is NOT a cone. What you saw on that list is this:

Hydrolyzed wheat protein/hydroxypropyl polysiloxane and cystine/silicone co-polymers- A combination of protein and silicones that posses a complex polymeric structure which cross-links on drying to form a conditioning and protective network providing protection against blow drying and heating. They also protect the hair against environmental pollutants as well as mechanical damage and can aid temporary repair of split ends.

See that the protein is listed together with silicones? that is to indicate that this particular combination of ingredients acts the way that is described below. That does not mean that Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein is a cone. It's not. You'll notice there's many other "formulas" of cones that act differently according to what other ingredients they are mixed with (like being water soluble or not). Those ingredients are not always other cones. They just happen to alter the way that particular silicone works.

ETA: I know very little to nothing about chemistry, but that's how I understand that list. Hope I could help clear that out.:)

rhosyn_du
May 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Okay, that makes much more sense. I interpreted the slashes as "or" rather than "in combination with."