PDA

View Full Version : my thin strands(pic)

evampr18
September 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E

littlenvy
September 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
OH you are able to get two? I only get one that size out of my entire hair. (I will post pics later)
Yes. Some of us have very thin braids too. That's why I only braid my hair at night to go to sleep in and never to wear outside. I feel like everyone is going to look at it and go "OMG!! WHAT ever happened to make her hair THAT THIN" :rolleyes:
oh well.
Genetics sometimes can be hard. But take heart. Its not the end of the world to have thin braids.
At least with a thin braid you can have braided Chinese bun at APL instead of BSL like everyone else ;):)

Othala
September 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I think your braids look charming and pretty, just right at BSL. How long have you been growing for evampr18?

The first year that I grew my hair out from a short, back and sides, that's how my braids looked too. It took years for some of the short hairs at ear length to grow past my shoulders, whereas others sped past. I too thought I had thin hair, but in time the volume filled out.

It all depends on your individual hair type, what length you are growing out from and a host of other factors. Please do not think you have the thinnest hair, because I have seen hair much thinner.

Also, are you helping your hair growth by eating well?

evampr18
September 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E

lilalong
September 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
It looks like you have some significant taper. Your braids are thin at the ends, but the base looks actually quite thick. Do you have layers? Once they grow out, your braids should look much thicker.

Anje
September 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
It looks like they're decently thick a bit further up, so I wouldn't simply assume that you have particularly thin hair. Mine are roughly as thick as yours are up near the top, but they take a lot longer to taper.

I'm guessing that you haven't trimmed your hair much for a few years, right?

There are a few possibilities for what's going on....
1) You've been growing your hair out without any trims for quite a while, so the last 10 inches or so has ends all through it and tapers significantly.
2) You've been accumulating damage enough to keep hairs from growing much longer and thicker than this. Or have something going on (what you're washing with, health, who knows) that is encouraging the hair to shed.
3) You have hair in perfect condition and this is the longest and thickest it will ever grow. <-- While this is possible, I rather doubt it, and I'd recommend spending at least 3 years ruling out the first two.

Hang in there. If you haven't tried some different washing methods, give them a chance. Same with oiling your hair and wearing it in gentle updos practically every day. Use a comb without seams and comb slowly, so you can find knots before you pull through them and break hairs.

ETA: I see you've posted since I started writing this... Are you making sure you're getting enough protein, iron, and supplementing vitamin B12?

LouLaLa
September 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
I have skinny braids too. I read in a magazine like in 2005 that they were the hot new thing, so I wore them then for the breif time it was considered the desireable look :p

sadly yeah its just life, but not having layers helps and I do five strand braids and make them flat which makes my hair look thicker. However I prefer sock buns etc and braids wouldnt do at work so I dont really worll about it.

ps I love the 2005 colour its very cool!
I think skinny braids can look very cool!

spidermom
September 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
One thing you can do to even out the appearance of your braids is to make the upper part as snug as you can tolerate, then more loose toward the ends. Then the braids will appear to be about the same width from top to ends.

serious
September 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Once you grow out the layers, your braids will become much thicker, so don't worry, your hair is not thin at all!

And, I must say, I love the 2005 pic, beautiful hair!

BlueMuse
September 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
You hair looks a good deal like mine as far as thickness goes. I too used to have some layers and that does effect the thickness of the braids, especially at the ends. Mine still taper quite a bit, but since I'm nearly past tailbone it's not very noticeable. In fact, I like the tapering look. On the plus side, a taper does make wrapping chinese buns easier and since my hair is not super thick, it's not quite as heavy nor do I need monster sticks to put it up. I like that I can still comfortably put all of my hair up using a 4" fork even at my length.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you don't want to grow you hair any longer. But since your goal is where my hair is now, I think all will be well. If you're like me, your hair will braid better once you are past BSL and closer to waist.

littlenvy
September 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
:) I totally agree with everyone else, you DO have beautiful hair.
Never mind the braids. They are thin not because your hair is very thin, they are thinner because you have layers and left over bangs. Once you have them all grown in and you give yourself a blunt trim they will be nice and thick looking :) (if that is what you desire ;))

DarkChocolate
September 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I think that your hair just needs to catch up to itself. Are the tops of your braids alot thicker than the bottom? I cannot really tell from the picture. The middle 20 to 30 strands of my hair grow alot faster than the sides and this has resulted in braids that were much thinner at the bottom than they are now two years later.

Are you allergic to eggs? If not try eating them because they have B12,protein and biotin which are all good for hair:)

RitaPG
September 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I used to have thin braids when I started to grow my hair too. I trimmed it a lot for several years, eventually my hemline straightened and my braids got thicker, they barely taper now.
Layers don't help either.
As long as your hair is healthy, there's nothing wrong =)

rags
September 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Um, if I do two braids mine look like the bottom of yours at their thickest point. :( Mine is not layers or anything though, just thin hair due to medical problems. Yours is so much thicker up top that I'm sure you just need to let the rest of your hair catch up to your ends! I think yours are cute!

christine1989
September 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
They look pretty typical. The top is nice and thick the issue is really that you have quite a bit of taper. It will get better as your hair gets longer and if you do small trims once in a while to thicken the hemline. In the meantime you could do shorter braids with a longer tassel so they won't be as skinny near the bottom.

LaurelSpring
September 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have an extreme taper in my braids because of layers. It is getting better as the layers grow out more but I still have very tapered ends and I wonder if the fairytale ends from not cutting are also one of the reasons. I have been tying my braid ends off with ribbon. They are still thin but you dont notice so much with the ribbon bows I think.

xoxophelia
September 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I would suggest ending the braids further up and also "fluffing" them. This means kinda pulling them apart so they look a little messier but also thicker. It is more in style generally so it will even look cute. :)

evampr18
September 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your input, it's all great. I know it also needs to grow, but I am seriously hoping it won't be that thin forever.

Juneii
September 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
I think you just got some extreme taper at the ends (like everyone else is saying). Thin hair is cute too, looks better in braids IMO. My thick braids make me look like a man (which is a bad thing for me since I like looking feminine, not to insult anyone who likes it that way).

ETA: Fishbone/herringbone braids work wonderfully for making thinner braids look thicker!

Capybara
September 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
One thing you can do to even out the appearance of your braids is to make the upper part as snug as you can tolerate, then more loose toward the ends. Then the braids will appear to be about the same width from top to ends.

This, exactly! I have taper in my hair, so I make the ends of my braids looser than the top and it looks even all the way down :)

annarose
September 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm with littlenvy..."you get two?"

Lol, this is ALL my hair!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/justdoinit/IMG_3215.jpg

I think also that you just have alot of taper, you've got great thickness at the top. And you are very pretty too! Enjoy the thinness while you have it, soon enough you'll have that (enviable to me ) hair that is almost too heavy to put up.

mellie89
September 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I think they look very cute! :)

If you think your hair has thinned, I'd start with nutrition, since it's a relatively easy thing to fix. Have you gotten your iron levels checked? You could be anemic from cutting meat from your diet. Anemia is definitely associated with hairloss, so it's definitely something to look into! Like others said, protein and B-12 are also important.

littlenvy
September 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
lol .. ok since you still want to know. My hair is less than 2".
But I do keep it all the same length and I trim every 4 months to a very blunt edge.
This gives me a little bit of what looks like "thinkness", but if you look at the base of my head where the first band is you will see that its quite thin.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/CIMG1270-1.jpg

and then I do the "loosen" method. LOL, were I make sure I loosen the strands of the braid to make it look fuller. And it looks like this:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/CIMG1271-1.jpg

jackiesjottings
September 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Another skinny braid person. Mine are fairly thick near the top but taper a lot. But I do have very fine hair- a lot of it but just doesn't have much volume.