PDA

View Full Version : Volume without heat??

emsahib
September 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
I've been without a hairdryer for a few months now and its done my hair so much good especially the ends which don't look dry or damaged. However I did used to like the volume that blow drying could give to my hair, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for creating volume without heat. The only thing I can think of doing is putting it up when wet then letting it down but that might put a weird kink in it. Oo or rollers. Now I'm answering my own question lol. Are rollers damaging for her at all? Any more ideas anyone? Maybe we should all let our hair dry naturally upside down :eyebrows:

torrilin
September 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
We-ell... my hair basically doesn't do volume. Even if I blow dry it upside down (which I would have to do back when I used one, due to the way my hair falls and the way it retains moisture) the volume is gone in a few hours. Didn't matter how much gel or mousse I used either.

Braid waves and bun waves and rag curls last longer, maybe as much as 3-4 hours.

I have long since given up arguing with my hair about this. It wants to be long and silky. I just go with what it wants.

Henrietta
September 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I suggest making a top knot on damp hair. Not totaly wet because it would took ages to dry:) But, let's say, when it's 50% dry you can make a really high bun. There would be no kinks if you put the elastic carefully;)
I was considering letting my hair airdry with my head upside down too:D

emsahib
September 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I suggest making a top knot on damp hair. Not totaly wet because it would took ages to dry:) But, let's say, when it's 50% dry you can make a really high bun. There would be no kinks if you put the elastic carefully;)
I was considering letting my hair airdry with my head upside down too:D

how long does your hair take to dry. I reckon it'd be quite funny to air dry upside down might just have to give it a try just for the experience of it :) Shall give the bun a go

emsahib
September 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
We-ell... my hair basically doesn't do volume. Even if I blow dry it upside down (which I would have to do back when I used one, due to the way my hair falls and the way it retains moisture) the volume is gone in a few hours. Didn't matter how much gel or mousse I used either.

Braid waves and bun waves and rag curls last longer, maybe as much as 3-4 hours.

I have long since given up arguing with my hair about this. It wants to be long and silky. I just go with what it wants.

I guess on the plus side your hair's nice and shiny and healthy :)

beez1717
September 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
hmm... Dare I mention a bump it in this thread? Just don't use a bump it whatever you do. it makes you look terrible. I would suggest instead of going for volume that you could go for a cool bun that works well enough to mean you don't need volume. That's my suggestion.

kittensoupnrice
September 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
When I'm going for natural volume, I go to sleep with damp hair and fling the hair up over my pillow so it drapes over the front of the bed. Gives a nice root-lift when I wake up! :cheese:

emsahib
September 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
hmm... Dare I mention a bump it in this thread? Just don't use a bump it whatever you do. it makes you look terrible. I would suggest instead of going for volume that you could go for a cool bun that works well enough to mean you don't need volume. That's my suggestion.

Huh what's a bump it?

jera
September 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Can I add some good news. Yor hair should gain volume over time as you eliminate the blowfryer. Mine took about a year of going heat free before it thickened up. :) The hair shafts become more dense and healthy when you stop heat styling.

Danaus plexippu
September 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
When I started LHC, it was determined to give up all my heating tools...but, after about a week or so I realized I just didn't like my hair air-dried. So here's what I did. I put a defuser attachment on, put it on low heat and low air. I section my hair and dry it with the diffuser from underneath which gives it loads of volume. I can even get my hair to look like I had a high-heat blow out with this technique. I keep my hand on top of the hair, right next to the dryer and my hand never gets too hot. It takes a little longer this way than high heat-high air. I haven't noticed any damage from this and even got loads of shine by putting in a little coconut oil and then warm-diffuse drying.

Also, I only CO wash and dry my hair every 3-4 days...don't think it would be so good to do this everyday.

beez1717
September 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Huh what's a bump it?

A bumpit is a horrible invention made to make it look like one spot of your hair has more volume. It literally just lifts up the hair and it's very hard to keep in place and keep it hidden. Remember those hair styles people had where the back of their hair looked like it had a bump in the back? That's what bump it gives you. SHUDDER SHUDDER...

kitten1986
September 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
I put my hair up in a pony/bun at the VERYTOP of my head for about 30-60 mins before I want huge volume, it can be damp or dry ( I usually do it on dry hair)then when you take it down voila! volume :D

emsahib
September 3rd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Can I add some good news. Yor hair should gain volume over time as you eliminate the blowfryer. Mine took about a year of going heat free before it thickened up. :) The hair shafts become more dense and healthy when you stop heat styling.

Ooo that is good news :) shall look forward to that fingers crossed

emsahib
September 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
A bumpit is a horrible invention made to make it look like one spot of your hair has more volume. It literally just lifts up the hair and it's very hard to keep in place and keep it hidden. Remember those hair styles people had where the back of their hair looked like it had a bump in the back? That's what bump it gives you. SHUDDER SHUDDER...

Oh i get it something that you put in your hair that the hair goes over? Yeah I know the style you mean. I think it looks good on some people but maybe not everybody