PDA

View Full Version : S&D - Search and destroy

Back_To_Basics
September 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I tried to find a thread on this..but no luck.
Sorry if it's a 1000 timed repeat :o

How do you do a S&D? Also, to trim your own hair..
what is the best way to do it.
Thanks for any help.

lajsa
September 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've not really gotten the hang of S&Ds yet, but I did trim my own hair using this tutorial (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/). :D

lpsqt60
September 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ok, so I'll admit that I'm a little obsessed, is it wrong to carry scissors in your purse for nothing other than to snip at the split ens that you found that is immediately annoying you?
If I see a split end while driving, reading or just lounging I will find scissors and cut it off, just cut a little above the split, no need to cut an inch off, and voila you are done.
S&D is when you are on a mission and can't stop snipping at just one split, this can carry on for as long as you need it to.

Ravenne
September 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
I need to sit down and do a thorough S&D.. it's been a while. Basically you just go through your hair, chunk by chunk and look at the ends. If they're split, or damaged in some way, snip'em off (with good, sharp, hair scissors of course ;))

And yeah, the link that lajsa posted is what I use to trim my hair. Very easy to follow guide.

kittensoupnrice
September 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
When I S&D, I do it one of two ways. If I have a LOT of splits, I'll go ahead and section into chunks. Twirl into a "rod", and snip white dotted ends of frayed hairs that escape from it.

Otherwise, I like the hunt and snip method. I just grab a fistful of hair and sort of "paw" through it looking for white dots (frayed ends or ruptured hairs) or light patches near the ends of hairs that usually mean an O split.

Henrietta
September 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I like to divide my hair into small sections. At first I focus on the ends. I am looking for them into a bunch of hair and when I see one I am trying to reach if with scissors. If I can't I just leave it as I don't want to cut it with 20 ends around. My ends are thin enough now.
Then I twist the strand and I cut split ends that stick out. I have layers, that's why I have to do this part.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I get under a strong light, then bend a skinny section of hair over one finger and slowly slide my finger toward the ends. The hairs pop up and I snip off the split ones. I will also hold a skinny section of hair in front of a directed lamp beam and look for damage that way. But most of the time I put my hair up and forget it, figuring my time is better spent preventing damage than trying to evaluate 100,000+ hairs.

Jenn of Pence
September 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Ok, so I'll admit that I'm a little obsessed, is it wrong to carry scissors in your purse for nothing other than to snip at the split ens that you found that is immediately annoying you?
If I see a split end while driving, reading or just lounging I will find scissors and cut it off, just cut a little above the split, no need to cut an inch off, and voila you are done.
S&D is when you are on a mission and can't stop snipping at just one split, this can carry on for as long as you need it to.

NO! It is not wrong! There is nothing wrong with this!!..... I sure hope not at least; this is what I do. :eyebrows:

When I S&D, I do it one of two ways. If I have a LOT of splits, I'll go ahead and section into chunks. Twirl into a "rod", and snip white dotted ends of frayed hairs that escape from it.

Otherwise, I like the hunt and snip method. I just grab a fistful of hair and sort of "paw" through it looking for white dots (frayed ends or ruptured hairs) or light patches near the ends of hairs that usually mean an O split.

I hunt and paw as well. Never could quite get the hang of the twisting method.

SpinDance
September 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
I use the same self-trim as previously posted. Very simple and works well.

I S&D on a random, regular basis, when I have good light. Riding in the car, talking on the phone, whatever. I take a very small section of hair randomly, slowly slide my fingers down it watching as the short ends pop up and trim off any that are split or damaged. If I'm finger combing and there is a place that wants to snag that is often caused by a loose hair, knot or split, so I'll look for that and trim it out if needed.

I consider it an easy way to gently entertain myself while helping my hair be healthier overall.

jennyjb
September 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
What Spidermom said. Sometimes the twisty thing as well.

PrincessBob
September 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
I like to s&d in front of a lamp. Sometimes, just sitting around, I'll notice one split. I grasp the hair gently and go to get my sharp scissors :cheese: It is fun for the whole family!

My spouse generally takes care of my trims, and I take care of his.:pumpkin:

Back_To_Basics
September 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for helping me with this.
Last night I had a dream, and this women was cutting this girls
hair...and she was S&D.
I think reading these posts has had an effect by sinking into my sub concious mind... that is a good thing :) :cheese:

Thanks again.

Back_To_Basics
September 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Today I did my first S&D :coolblue:
I did it while hair was wet.I found a few,and I think I did it right.
I sectioned out hair then held hair up to window where light comes in the most I spoted the little tiny ball looking things and cut above it.
I hope that's right? I will do more when it drys.
Thanks again for the help with this.

Juneii
September 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM

no! I've been trying to find a small pair of scissors just for that purpose!

suffer-cait
September 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
it is definitly high time for me to S&D. i used to do it all through school, 6th grade and up, about senior year i bought a proper pair of sheers, but i haven't S&D in over a year now.

Igor
September 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I do my majority of S&D in from of the computer with LHC up :oops:
Usually I just grab my braid and hold it up against the contrasting monitor and snips what sticks out of the braid and looks damaged

Inchworm
September 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm a newie so I'm sorry if these are idiotic questions.
(1) Do you still need to trim your hair if you S and D or is it like instead of?
(2) Can you both trim and S/D?
(3) Does it thin your hair becuase my hair is med. thick and I want to keep the nonfrizzy circumference?
inch by inch:)

Othala
September 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I never used to S&D but have started after a disaster with NW which left me with splits. I've found, because I have both black and white strands, that I have to contrast the black hairs against a white background and the white hairs against a black background in order to see the splits.

Curiously, I have found it quite therapeutic to S&D, especially as I followed it up with a DC and baggy.

eezepeeze
September 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I like to S and D while sitting in front of the computer. The lighting is just so good against the screen! I only do a serious s&d once in a while to avoid getting thin ends. Once a month I do a microtrim to keep the damage down.

eamane
September 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I do my majority of S&D in from of the computer with LHC up :oops:
Usually I just grab my braid and hold it up against the contrasting monitor and snips what sticks out of the braid and looks damaged
Me too :P A few snips here, read a thread, a few snips there, and read another thread ;)

ZoeSophia8
September 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm a newie so I'm sorry if these are idiotic questions.
(1) Do you still need to trim your hair if you S and D or is it like instead of?
(2) Can you both trim and S/D?
(3) Does it thin your hair becuase my hair is med. thick and I want to keep the nonfrizzy circumference?
inch by inch:)

Hey! I'm new here, too. :D But I thought I might be able to help with your questions.

1. I think this is a personal choice. S&D isn't necessarily a replacement for trimming, though I suppose it could be and probably is for some individuals; it's just another method for getting rid of split ends. I've started doing some S&D since I have a lot of layers in my hair from breakage -- so that a simple trim off the ends won't necessarily get all my splits. S&D, for me, might get anything that I missed with a trim, or help keep splits down between trims.

2. Yes :)

3. I think not, but :cool: I'm not an expert. Just be sure to use sharp scissors.

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I do a lot of my S & D in front of the computer too. I've used all of the methods mentioned above. I use Spidermom's method the most often. S & D isn't a replacement for trims. They both have their special benefits. S & D gets rid of the split ends and small dusting trims keeps my hemline neat and thick. A half inch trims isn't going to get many split ends. My hair has splits up the length. Even if I cut off 6" I wouldn't get them all. It's a never ending battle.

proo
September 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Since I began fingercombing only i have many many less splits, like almost none.

Lorz
November 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm new here, too and have a question for those of you that do S$D or self trimming. Is it alright to buy $10 hair cutting scissors from the grocery store? Are those cheap scissors very low quality? If so, do you have any brand suggestions?

sibiryachka
November 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'm new here, too and have a question for those of you that do S$D or self trimming. Is it alright to buy $10 hair cutting scissors from the grocery store? Are those cheap scissors very low quality? If so, do you have any brand suggestions?

My Scunci hair scissors from the supermarket didn't even cost $10, and they have been working just fine. I use them *only* for hair, and keep a scissors sharpener on hand, but so far I haven't needed to sharpen these ones.

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
hi everyone!! first time commenter here!
I just completed cosmetology school, so in reference to if the 10 dollar scissors are good the answer is YES, they are made with a softer metal than "expensive" brands (though just as sharp), but are PERFECT for S&Ding because they aren't going to be worn out by clipping large chunks of hair (like a hairstylist would)... also just saw that some people in this thread use scissors meant for other purposes (sewing, household, kitchen)... this is a VERY bad idea because there is a (microscopic) gap between scissors meant for other purposes that will bend rip and break the hair instead of 'slicing'... so keep that in mind

love this place, can't wait to share my knowledge and gain some!!
xxooo

christine1989
December 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm never sure if I should snip off the taipered ends of the new hairs or just leave them :confused:. Are they better off if I just let them be since the taiper is not really a result of damage?

Alvrodul
December 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I really felt I had the perfect setup for S&D. Then a main light source went belly up on me. :confused: I have been scrambling to put up new lamps, but I have not really found a substitute. :confused: I will still be on the lookout, though.

Capybara
December 7th, 2010, 06:18 PM
hi everyone!! first time commenter here!
I just completed cosmetology school, so in reference to if the 10 dollar scissors are good the answer is YES, they are made with a softer metal than "expensive" brands (though just as sharp), but are PERFECT for S&Ding because they aren't going to be worn out by clipping large chunks of hair (like a hairstylist would)... also just saw that some people in this thread use scissors meant for other purposes (sewing, household, kitchen)... this is a VERY bad idea because there is a (microscopic) gap between scissors meant for other purposes that will bend rip and break the hair instead of 'slicing'... so keep that in mind

love this place, can't wait to share my knowledge and gain some!!
xxooo

That makes sense! Thanks for this :) I always use hair scissors, but often wondered if they were a waste of money, compared to regular scissors. Now I know why it's worth it.

curlylocks85
December 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
also just saw that some people in this thread use scissors meant for other purposes (sewing, household, kitchen)... this is a VERY bad idea because there is a (microscopic) gap between scissors meant for other purposes that will bend rip and break the hair instead of 'slicing'... so keep that in mind

I never knew this bit of information. Thank you for the tip!

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
capybara & curlylocks85... your welcome! I love to share this tidbit with people because it is VERY important that the scissors are sharp enough to slice perpendicularly from the hair shaft... the more even the cuticle is cut the longer it will take to wear down (aka need a trimming)... that's why razor cutting is a HUGE no-no (you might as well just rip your hair off... literally).... as someone with fragile hair this is ESPECIALLY important. It's so fun to talk about this!! ahh haha but seriously some people don't understand the care and attention to detail it takes to have a beautiful & HEALTHY head of hair

musicallberrii
December 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Thanks for posting this! I am about to try this right now :p

Henrietta
February 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I have taken my hair scissors to my parent's house on purpose. I've been waiting for that occasion for a long time, since I don't have good lightening in my flat. So:

I officially promise to do GOOD, long (hint: Henri, listen to music if you feel bored and become less and less patient!) S&D session tomorrow.
Hold me to my promise, people. Write me a profile visitor's message and shout on me if I'll say I haven't done it.