PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie who needs a new routine, starting from scratch!

helwa
September 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Hey guys! :waving:

I would love some advice regarding all the really basic things, since I'm about to start over from scratch when it comes to my hair. I've been doing the mainstream thing for years (trimming too much to gain any length what so ever, and using super expensive salon products!) When that didn't work I moved on to completely ignoring my hair instead, which of course made it longer... but it could have been in better shape. I'm also growing out chemical dye that has been dealing with lots of sun i.e my hair is somehow dry and orange. And I never really learned how to deal with my wurly (2c/3a depending on condition) hair without using lots of drying products and styling tools on it! I need you to share your knowledge with me.

Right now I'm still using very random shampoos and conditioners, brush my hair with one of those awful brushes with plastic pins (I know, it's just so hard to stop! And the ones I've tried that are supposed to be better only brushes my hair on the surface), try to sort out the hair accessories that I know arent very kind to my hair... but I'm still using some of the hairbands with metal pieces on them, these decorated bobby pins that tend to get stuck etc... I do, however, oil my hair a lot (with Amla, that is cheap and easy to find in Egypt!) and I have gotten a lot better at wearing my hair up when it's windy, braiding it before going to bed and things like that. I've also stopped straightening and blowdrying my hair, and I'm trying to get used to not dying it. Oh, and I trimmed almost 2 inches to get rid of damage. So at least I'm getting somewhere. :wannabe:

I need to come up with a completely new everyday routine... preferably consisting of products that are quite cheap and easy to find/make or bring with me since I will be staying in Egypt, where it might be hard to find the same things as in Europe. I need your recommendations regarding everything from washing, brushing and styling to leave ins, deep treatments and hair accessories. What works for you? And what should I avoid; what's the deal with SLS and cones for example? And does anyone have any good advice when it comes to protecting your hair from the sun?

Super excited to get a fresh start, I hope that I can get some good advice here. I would really appreciate your help. :flower:

Viechen
September 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
There is a thread on here somewhere that is labeled 'basic advice for newbies' or something. I found it very helpfull as I am new on here as well :) I will try to find it and then post the link for you :)

Viechen
September 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
Found it! It is called "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" :) I think she gives some great pointers on how to start from scratch, not to do too many things at once and too fast, etc...

helwa
September 2nd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Ahh, that's perfect! Thank you so much. I've been looking for something like that but I didn't find anything to sum everything up in one place. I will check it out right now! :)

Phexlyn
September 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Glad you already found Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice. Stick with that for a while, and read through other articles on haircare as well, there are great tips on keeping splits at bay and avoiding everyday damage to your hair.

You can also use the search function (it's at the top of the page), there is a thread on wurly hair which might help you.

Welcome to LHC! :flower:

Arianwen
September 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hey guys! :waving:

I would love some advice regarding all the really basic things, since I'm about to start over from scratch when it comes to my hair. I've been doing the mainstream thing for years (trimming too much to gain any length what so ever, and using super expensive salon products!) When that didn't work I moved on to completely ignoring my hair instead, which of course made it longer... but it could have been in better shape. I'm also growing out chemical dye that has been dealing with lots of sun i.e my hair is somehow dry and orange. And I never really learned how to deal with my wurly (2c/3a depending on condition) hair without using lots of drying products and styling tools on it! I need you to share your knowledge with me.

Right now I'm still using very random shampoos and conditioners, brush my hair with one of those awful brushes with plastic pins (I know, it's just so hard to stop! And the ones I've tried that are supposed to be better only brushes my hair on the surface), try to sort out the hair accessories that I know arent very kind to my hair... but I'm still using some of the hairbands with metal pieces on them, these decorated bobby pins that tend to get stuck etc... I do, however, oil my hair a lot (with Amla, that is cheap and easy to find in Egypt!) and I have gotten a lot better at wearing my hair up when it's windy, braiding it before going to bed and things like that. I've also stopped straightening and blowdrying my hair, and I'm trying to get used to not dying it. Oh, and I trimmed almost 2 inches to get rid of damage. So at least I'm getting somewhere. :wannabe:

I need to come up with a completely new everyday routine... preferably consisting of products that are quite cheap and easy to find/make or bring with me since I will be staying in Egypt, where it might be hard to find the same things as in Europe. I need your recommendations regarding everything from washing, brushing and styling to leave ins, deep treatments and hair accessories. What works for you? And what should I avoid; what's the deal with SLS and cones for example? And does anyone have any good advice when it comes to protecting your hair from the sun?

Super excited to get a fresh start, I hope that I can get some good advice here. I would really appreciate your help. :flower:

Find the CO washing thread, read, repeat. :) CO washing makes my hair :D and we have similar hairtypes, eh?

SpinDance
September 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
I definitely recommend Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice, and keep a simple journal so you have actual records of how well/badly something works. I find it hard, but following the 2-week rule really helps you identify what something new added to your routine is actually doing. Make changes slowly, no need to go get a bunch of new stuff. Just using things differently, in different proportions can have a definite impact (CO & CWC for example).

Going slow with changes means you have more time to read and learn more stuff. ;) This site is a gold mine, and everyone is so helpful!

helwa
September 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks again everyone.

I will try to take your advice but I might have to make some exceptions to the 2 week rule, there are simply too many things that I want to change at once! I think my first plan will be to start out with the CWC for a month, continue with the stuff I already started (oils, microtrims etc.), learn some protective up-dos... I think the only stuff I will rush out and buy will be some basic hair toys and some vitamins to boost my hair. Not too much, right? :D

Find the CO washing thread, read, repeat. :) CO washing makes my hair :D and we have similar hairtypes, eh?

Yes, I think we do! I just looked in your album which makes me quite confident that I might have gotten my hairtype right. :cheer:

CO washing seems interesting, I will have to make myself read through it. Maybe I should give it a shot! Do you use any kind of oil, shea butter or something like that on your hair? Is the CO method enough to get it all out?

bumblebums
September 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
What everyone else said--but also, don't brush your hair. Brushing is only for straight-haired people. Curly hair should be left alone while it's drying; that allows curls to form and reduces frizz. If you really must comb it, get a wide-tooth comb and comb it out in the shower while you have conditioner on, or else comb it dry right before you wash it.

helwa
September 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
What everyone else said--but also, don't brush your hair. Brushing is only for straight-haired people. Curly hair should be left alone while it's drying; that allows curls to form and reduces frizz. If you really must comb it, get a wide-tooth comb and comb it out in the shower while you have conditioner on, or else comb it dry right before you wash it.

I will try a wide tooth comb!

Right now I actually do brush my hair, but only because I still tend to pull out my curls. I do this because I'm at a really awkward length right now, especially the shorter layers and what used to be my bangs will turn into crazy spiral curls pointing straight towards the sides... hehe.. anyway, then I put it up with duck clips and let it dry in a bun. This makes it wavy rather than curly and then I feel like it's ok to brush it.

When I do wear my hair curly, however, I try not to brush it at all. That's not completely ideal either cause it leaves my hair a bit "out of control" and I have to wash it every single day to save myself from tangles. Maybe a wide tooth comb would be part of the solution to that. It goes on the shopping list.