PDA

View Full Version : PICS! What is this hairstyle?

eezepeeze
September 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi, guys! I came up with this hairdo this morning, but don't know what it is called. Any ideas?
ETA: I am uploading the tutorial as we speak, so when I get the link, I'll post it.

Here it is!! www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMcmyCzBq7c

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0077.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0078.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0076.jpg

Gumball
September 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
If the length remains two rope braids, and both of them are bunned up into one big bun, then you've got yourself a rope classic there!

eezepeeze
September 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Yep, I rope braided the length on each side, bunned one in one direction and then wrapped the other around the first one in the opposite direction. A rope classic...cool...one to add to my can-do hairdo list :-)

Gumball
September 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Excellent! It's so great having more to add to the list. You get to feel all skilled and masterful. :gabigrin: Nicely done!

sarah061
September 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Ooh, it's called gorgeous as far as I'm concerned - that's amazing! Now come over and braid mine pretty please, hehe <3

Fairlight63
September 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Oh, I like that hairstyle! Got to give it a try.

SpinDance
September 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
That is beautiful! Very nicely done. I definitely need to practice rope braiding.

luluj
September 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
WOW! Your hair is so long and lovely and the braids are so thick! I don't know what it is called, but "gorgeous" comes to mind!LOL!!

hmmm
September 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Wait, what? How do you do two braids without a part in the middle?

DarkChocolate
September 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
It reminds me of a rose bun:)
How about calling it a climbing rose bun since the side pieces remind me of vines:)

eezepeeze
September 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
It reminds me of a rose bun:)
How about calling it a climbing rose bun since the side pieces remind me of vines:)

Ooooohhh, I LIKE that!!! Very romantic :)

Wait, what? How do you do two braids without a part in the middle?

I braided two strands together down the sides, picking up more hair from the bottom at every twist, all the way to the center of the nape of my neck, then rope braided what was left of the length. I did that on both sides, then coiled one rope braid around itself for the center of the bun, then wrapped the other braid around the center.

It's sort of like doing a crown braid down both sides of my head, but not all the way around. The fact that you only take from the bottom prevents you from causing a part.

Yikes! What a rambling description! I hope that helped somewhat!!:)

tanya222
September 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I braided two strands together down the sides, picking up more hair from the bottom at every twist, all the way to the center of the nape of my neck, then rope braided what was left of the length. I did that on both sides, then coiled one rope braid around itself for the center of the bun, then wrapped the other braid around the center.

It's sort of like doing a crown braid down both sides of my head, but not all the way around. The fact that you only take from the bottom prevents you from causing a part.

Yikes! What a rambling description! I hope that helped somewhat!!:)

Ok, I must be pretty dumb because I still don't get it! What do you mean "from the bottom"?? :confused:

ChayahSaahene
September 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Beautiful!

eezepeeze
September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Imagine you're holding the two strands in one hand at the front of your head where you're starting. You have hair loose hair hanging down the back of your head. Instead of adding hair from the crown of your head (the top), you're going to add the hair to the strand closest to your ear (the bottom) and then cross it over the strand closest to the crown of your head.

You know what? I will make a tutorial on it and post it to my YouTube channel and imbed the link in the OP. I think this requires a visual.

Thanks for all the nice compliments!! :-)

beez1717
September 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
That's beautiful. I can't wait to do that to MY hair!

tanya222
September 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Imagine you're holding the two strands in one hand at the front of your head where you're starting. You have hair loose hair hanging down the back of your head. Instead of adding hair from the crown of your head (the top), you're going to add the hair to the strand closest to your ear (the bottom) and then cross it over the strand closest to the crown of your head.

You know what? I will make a tutorial on it and post it to my YouTube channel and imbed the link in the OP. I think this requires a visual.

Thanks for all the nice compliments!! :-)

Ahhh I think I get it, thanks eezepeeze! Looking forward to the tutorial! And it is a gorgeous updo!

eezepeeze
September 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hey, guys, I posted the tutorial in the OP. Let me know if you have questions!! :-)

tinti
September 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Nice hairdo and great tutorial! It's so easy to understand what you're doing :)

Kelli Kat
September 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
That's beautiful. I really need my hair to grooooooowwwww so I can do cool stuff like that with it.

eezepeeze
September 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Nice hairdo and great tutorial! It's so easy to understand what you're doing :)

Good! I'm glad it was helpful. I wasn't sure how well you'd be able to see since I have such dark hair. Sometimes the sections don't show up very well.

Let me know if you try it. I love seeing other peoples' pics :)

jackie75
September 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
The video was very well done! Excellent explanation on how to do this....I want to try this, it is beautiful!

Thanks for taking the time to teach us this. :D

eezepeeze
September 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The video was very well done! Excellent explanation on how to do this....I want to try this, it is beautiful!

Thanks for taking the time to teach us this. :D

Sure! My pleasure!

UltraBella
September 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Really pretty ! I enjoyed watching the video. I am curious how this would work with my super thick hair and what I would secure the buns with. Bobby pins do not hold my hair and neither do the goody hair pins you were using. They snap in two when I use them. I have difficulty with buns in general because of the volume of my hair, but I would like to be able to do something like this.
Nice job :)

eezepeeze
September 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Really pretty ! I enjoyed watching the video. I am curious how this would work with my super thick hair and what I would secure the buns with. Bobby pins do not hold my hair and neither do the goody hair pins you were using. They snap in two when I use them. I have difficulty with buns in general because of the volume of my hair, but I would like to be able to do something like this.
Nice job :)

I usually use the big Amish-style hairpins to do big buns, but I seem to have lost all of my mine. You can get them at Sally Beauty Supply where the bobby pins are. Those hold a lot more hair than bobby pins do. I had to use a whole bunch of bobbies. You might be able to hold it with a hair stick or a hair fork, if you like using those. Or you might be albe to use little jaw clips around the perimeter of the bun. It seems like we have similar hair thickness. I actually snapped a hair stick in two the other day trying to get it through a cinnabun. At least it was a cheapie. I hope you try it:)

ETA: have you tried the Goody Spin Pins? I can hold a cinnabun with 2, but I sometimes need four for bigger buns that have been braided. you can get them at the drugstore. They come 2 to a box. They are really easy to use.

UltraBella
September 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Eezepeeze, I mean no disrespect AT ALL, but from viewing your photos I would guess that I have twice as much hair as you do, maybe more. Your hair just looks quite different than mine and I know it is hard to tell from pictures, but I am generally a pretty good guess since I own two salons and stare at heads of hair all day long :) I seriously do not mean it in any negative way, just an observation. And the reason I have so many difficulties with buns and updos.
Thank you for the suggestions, I bet those jaw clips would work, but I just hate how they look. I will have to check out the Amish type pins and see if they will work better.

Fairlight63
September 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you for the video! It was very well done. I got to try it. Your hair is so pretty & thick. Much thicker than mine is.

UltraBella
September 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I didn't want to hijack your thread so I started a new one asking for advice :)

Goody Spin Pins : I have six of these but I can't hold any type of bun with them. They work on my daughter's hair if I use four of them, but she does not have as much hair as I do in length or thickness, although her's is still quite thick. ( thank goodness, because her dad's side of the family is practically bald ! )

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Beautiful!

Phexlyn
September 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM
That looks so beautiful, eezepeeze, just lovely! :)

PS: I love the colour of your nail polish in the vid!

sipp10
September 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Beautiful! Can't wait til my hair is long enough to do this.

eezepeeze
September 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
UltraBella,

Don't worry about it! I posted on your new thread with some tricks I use on my hair. My avatar and siggy pics don't really show how thick my hair is since one is oiled and the other is wet. My pony circumference is 5 inches, but your hair looks like it might be even thicker, and it's certainly longer.

Also, thanks, thanks, thanks, to everyone for all of your sweet compliments. Post pics if you try it and share any variations on it. I love seeing other peoples' buns and updos and stuff.

:-)

That looks so beautiful, eezepeeze, just lovely! :)

PS: I love the colour of your nail polish in the vid!

Thanks! I love funky colors :)

Ludde
September 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Very nice updo! As well as beautiful hair!

Bluegrass Babe
September 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Here's mine! Thanks eezepeeze for a great vid. The instructions were really easy to follow. I'll put it in my album once the upload problem is fixed. (My hair is oiled in this pic.) http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/th_viningrosebun.jpg (http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/viningrosebun.jpg) It's a clicky!

I have tried the Goody Spin Pins. They're great! I just wish they gave you 2 more pins for the price! I usually use the U-shaped pins, bobby pins slide out and pull 2-3 hairs by the roots. I only use them if the hairstyle has to have them. (HATE EM!)

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
that is a really nice hair style!

eezepeeze
September 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Here's mine! Thanks eezepeeze for a great vid. The instructions were really easy to follow. I'll put it in my album once the upload problem is fixed. (My hair is oiled in this pic.) http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/th_viningrosebun.jpg (http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/viningrosebun.jpg) It's a clicky!

Hey, that looks great!! I love the definition you've got in your braids. Glad you tried it and posted a picture!!

I use Good Hairdays pins most of the time to hold my buns, or I'll use the spinpins. I generally just use bobbies to refine my look or secure small sections. I need something heavier duty to really hold, though. Although, I don't care for the Amish style pins because they dont have enough tension in them to secure my hair. To each his own, right?

Bluegrass Babe
September 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks! I got my "vines" a little too low trying to concentrate on keeping them close to the scalp but it turned out great anyway. I'll definitely put this in my rotation.

I had completely forgotten that I have some Good Days pins until you mentioned them in the video. They hold even better than the Spin Pins!

Where are everybody's pics? Post pics! I love looking at how people put their own little touches into a style.

I think I'll add this to the hairstyle of the month thread.

Intransigentia
September 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Wow, that's pretty! I was experimenting with a pair of dutch lace braids yesterday and couldn't think what to do with the lengths, and the bun would work perfectly for those too. I think this would probably even work for people with a lot less hair than you, so I'm going to have to try it.

paperwhite
September 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
That's really very pretty! I'll have to brush up on rope braiding and give it a go :) My rope braiding skills are not so great :o

pepperminttea
September 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, I bet those jaw clips would work, but I just hate how they look. I will have to check out the Amish type pins and see if they will work better.

It wouldn't be 'hidden' like pins, but what about an XL flexi-8?

To the OP: Thanks for this hairstyle - the vid was really clear! I've just smothered my hair in a DT, but definitely going to try this style after I've washed it out. :)