PDA

View Full Version : Awkard stages of growth

Brenda714
September 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Help! I am in the very awkard stages of growing APL with tons of layers. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it is growing. How did all of you with gorgeous long hair get through those stages? What attitude did you take? I try to tell myself I've been there before with it long and beautiful and I'll get there again, but sometimes I get so discouraged by it cause at 1/2 inch a month it is so slow. Thanks for listening, any encouragement will be greatly welcomed!

chelseamichelle
September 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
All I did was ignore it! Of course i didn't know LHC back then and I wasn't totally hair obssesed like I am now :p
Maybe you could try wearing it up for a while?

Sorry I can't be more help, but I know your pain and believe me It will get better! In a few months you'll be at bsl and things are less awkward from then on :) stay strong and happy growing! :)

kdaniels8811
September 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hey, I am jealous, my hair is 1/2" and I am eagerly awaiting APL and layers to grow out! Patience, my dear, patience...

Flossy
September 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM
I am watching my little boy go through this! We just want his hair a little longer, his hair texture needs a little length to sit nicely, but he's getting frustrated with it.

You'll both get there, and think how beautiful and healthy your goal length hair will be from visiting LHC!

ArienEllariel
September 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I don't have any advice for you but I can sympathize.. I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in the Arm Pit Length Abyss somewhere between shoulder and midback). Usually my hair doesn't like to sit well. I was surprised the other day though when my braid fell over my shoulder and stayed for the first time ever. :P Random mini goal of mine.. Now if I can get a side braid that's long enough that it looks descent, I'll be happy. :)

Joliebaby
September 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Put in a ponytail and forget about it! Works like a charm :D

christine1989
September 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
My hair has no layers but going from APL to BSL is akward anyway. I doubt it will feel right until it hits waist so I'm just wearing it up a lot.

Brenda714
September 2nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Thank you all so much, it really helps put things into perspective. Thanks Joliebaby "put it in a pony tail and forget about it. I like that. And kdaniels, I'm sorry to be such a dork to complain about my length when yours is only 1/2 inch. You truly inspire me, thank you. And ChelseaMichelle, to be patient that in a few months it will be BSL I do have no patience, bout time I get some :)

julliams
September 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
At APL my layers were kind of all over the place and I hated how the shortest layer was shoulder length. It made my hair appear way shorter than it was and I hated it.

Now that I have hit BSL it has made a huge difference. My layers are blending alot better now and it appears much longer and just "hangs" better. I had been contemplating cutting all to one length when I was APL which would have taken me to shoulder length but I'm so glad that I didn't because now I would be at APL instead at below BSL (which I am now). The time you are talking about here is around 6 months - a short amount of time in the big picture. Try to find some styles athat you can only do with APL hair - like tails up and just enjoy them. When you can do your first lazy wrap, things will be looking up and you will be on your way to BSL.

helwa
September 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'm in the same awkward stage and I know exactly what you mean. I just got my first trim in over 2 years and now my longest layers are just barely APL. This stage is so slooow, I feel like it's never gonna grow past this length! I'm sure it will though, so I guess we should both try to be patient and focus on something else in the meantime. Hang in there... :flower:

squiggyflop
September 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
my attitude when i was at the exact same stage was that it was going to grow and not to worry or fuss over it.. but i had practice ignoring awkward stages because my pixicut looked like a mullet growing out..

um i second putting it into a pony and forgetting..

or better yet a french braid thats tucked at the ends.. i cant do that at my current length but you can do it at yours
oh but my advice might not be worth much since i went from shoulder to bsl in like 2 months.. so its not like i made a huge commitment to forgetting about my hair

redneckprincess
September 2nd, 2010, 06:36 AM
taking pics every couple months gives me encouragement that its growing, and right now i am in a wear it up challange with myself till October (maybe longer, if it goes well)

JayLee
September 2nd, 2010, 07:02 AM
I am in the same boat. This is the time where I always get frustrated and CUT. But this time I will, for sure, get past this. I have never had hair longer than BSL, so this is soon to be new territory for me.
Keep it ponied up and forget about it for the next few months.

Henrietta
September 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Try to ignore the length. Just don't look back into the mirror. And the trick-how to avoid boredom: try to focus on condition of your hair. Try coconut oil mixed with olive oil and olive oil mixed with castor oil, and honey, and new conditioners... There's a lot of things to do to stop thinking about length ;)