PDA

View Full Version : I'm 21 and on Rogaine...

SlightlySoprano
September 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
So I finally got my blood test results back, everything came back normal, so my dermatologist had me go buy men's 5% rogaine to use once a day every single day pretty much for the rest of my life...

I'm so depressed:(:(:(

kwaniesiam
September 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Find a new doctor and get a second opinion. I'm sorry you're going through this :grouphug:

Luckysock
September 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Don't despair. I agree with Kwaniesam, get a second opinion.

And for what its worth - in the mean time, rogaine really works.

Centaur
September 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rogaine works to varying degrees for different people.

For me, I grew more hairs on my face than I did on my head.

Also, Rogaine was very irritating to my scalp.

I hope you have better results with it. And I agree with the above poster - go ahead and get a second opinion.

ETA: Not a lot of dematologists are very knowledgeable about hair loss. But, every once in a while you can find one that is or is at least interested in working with you to find out the problem and a workable solution.

Shany
September 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Another dermatologist may suggest you something else. It looks like your doctor doesn't know the cause of your hair loss. Have you done some researches about it? There is an interesting link:
http://www.newhair.com/resources/hair-loss-in-women.asp

Common or "hereditary" baldness in women appears to be related to the same major factors that cause hair loss in men:
Genes
Hormones (e.g. Testosterone converted to DHT)
Other Causes of Diffuse Hair Loss in Women
A number of "non-androgenetic" factors may be responsible for hair loss in women. [...]
Among the many medical conditions that can cause hair loss, the most common ones are:

anemia
thyroid disease
other endocrine problems (especially those that produce excess androgens)
gynecological conditions - such as ovarian tumors
connective tissue disease (such as Lupus)
surgical procedures and general anesthesia
rapid weight loss or crash diets that are not nutritionally balanced
severe emotional stress

It is also important to review the use of medications that can cause hair loss. The more common ones are:
oral contraceptives
thyroid medication
blood pressure medication (such as beta-blockers or water pills)
"mood" medication such as lithium, Prozac, or tri-cyclic antidepressants
blood thinners such as heparin or coumadin
cholesterol lowering medication
medication for gout, such as Zyloprim
anti-inflammatory drugs such as cortisone
vitamin A or tryptophan in high doses
street drugs (such as cocaine)

christine1989
September 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
I second the second opinion :). I got a blood test and it came back "normal". Then I went to another doctor who gave me an expensive but far more detailed blood test that showed that I had very low iron (although it came up as "normal" on the first one). All I needed was an iron suppliment to fix my shedding problem and start my hair re growing. I would ask for a test that checks thyroid, iron, kidney function and b vitamin levels specifically. You might have more luck going to an endrocrinologist than a general physician since they have more experiance with hair loss problems. Whatever you do don't resign yourself to the fact that you can't find the cause of your hair loss. I have had multiple health problems that have taken me years and visits to multiple doctors in order to find a solution but the persistence has always paid off. Once you find the right doctor (one who is persistent and takes you seriously) you will find what is causing your hair loss so you can start fixing it. :)

Good luck and don't give up!

lastnite
September 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM

same here. I used it when I was 17 or 18 and worse yet, the hair that grew on my face never went away even after I stopped using the Rogaine. :(

SlightlySoprano, have you tried other things? Indian herbs, foti, vitamins, monistat... I'd use the Rogaine as a last resort, especially the 5%

SlightlySoprano
September 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
My Derm ran a very extensive blood test, checked EVERY level (took 7 vials of blood to do it!!!) and she said the only thing that was slightly abnormal was that I had low testosterone, which would not cause hair loss, but it was not so low that she would be worried. My iron, vitamin levels, estrogen, and biotin levels all came back normal.

triumphator!
September 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Ahhh SS, you never told me that you were having thinning problems! Maybe you're just going through a hormonal thing? BC can make your hair fall out, just a thought. Or maybe just a weird phase?

...You could always try Monistat.... OR make a witches' brew of Monistat AND Rogaine? Sounds like a potent combination to me.

Anje
September 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I know it's sad, but Rogaine works pretty well for a lot of people. My DH had slowly thinning hair that's come back thicker than he remembers it ever being since he started using it. I do suggest keeping it far, far away from any cats you may have, though. It's really toxic to them.

Rogaine works to varying degrees for different people.

I believe this is why a less concentrated version (2.5% instead of 5%, I think) tends to be marketed as Rogaine for women. I think most folks get stronger results from the 5%, but the lower dose is good to cut back to if it encourages too much facial hair or has side effects.

SlightlySoprano
September 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
My derm recommended the 5% once a day instead of the directed twice a day, and specifically warned me not to get any on my face at all

This is so embarrassing, I'm going away with my girl friends this weekend for a last hoorah before the semester gets really busy and i have to bring men's hair growth treatment. Wonderful. :(

SlightlySoprano
September 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Ahhh SS, you never told me that you were having thinning problems! Maybe you're just going through a hormonal thing? BC can make your hair fall out, just a thought. Or maybe just a weird phase?

...You could always try Monistat.... OR make a witches' brew of Monistat AND Rogaine? Sounds like a potent combination to me.

I've been on BC since i was 16 and the thinning started about 2 years ago... but hormonally, everything checked out OK

Centaur
September 1st, 2010, 09:54 PM
I know it's sad, but Rogaine works pretty well for a lot of people. My DH had slowly thinning hair that's come back thicker than he remembers it ever being since he started using it. I do suggest keeping it far, far away from any cats you may have, though. It's really toxic to them.

I believe this is why a less concentrated version (2.5% instead of 5%, I think) tends to be marketed as Rogaine for women. I think most folks get stronger results from the 5%, but the lower dose is good to cut back to if it encourages too much facial hair or has side effects.

Actually, it was the 2% that I was on, and I grew more hair on my face than I did my head. I am sorry to say, but that is NOT an uncommon side effect of Rogaine.

Also, some other things to think about when starting Rogaine:
1. If a person does respond positively to the treatment by growing new hairs (on the head), the hairs are often not of good quality - thinner, sparser hairs that never become permanent.

2. Once stopping treatment, most of the benefits of the treatment will be lost.

3. Even if someone does respond positively to the treatment by growing new hairs (on the head), it is not uncommon for the treatment to hit a wall and stop working after a couple of years.

These are just a few things to be aware of and think about. Most doctors will not go into this detail about the treatment.

urara12
September 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
My Derm ran a very extensive blood test, checked EVERY level (took 7 vials of blood to do it!!!) and she said the only thing that was slightly abnormal was that I had low testosterone, which would not cause hair loss, but it was not so low that she would be worried. My iron, vitamin levels, estrogen, and biotin levels all came back normal.

did you had ferritin? I am having lot of shedding, and
I also had many blood test include SLE, tyroid etc
I did almost more than 25 vial blood.
all my blood test back in normal range ( folic acid is high) however the ferritin is low of normal range which 26 .
( all other 3 iron test was normal) the ferritin lavel is way too low to grow healthy hair. I am going to see Dermatologost again.

RadiantNeedle
September 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
Eek! I'd alternate days with these two products rather than mixing. You don't know what sort of chemical fireworks you could set off!

Hotrox
September 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering, here's a big hug and :blossom: for you

As for being embarrassed in front of your friends, I'm so sure that is not necessary.

They love you regardless of what you need to rub on your head, and I'm sure will feel nothing but empathy for you and the current situation, and we all suffer with embarrassing and unpleasant ailments every now and then, - that is why we have friends, to share the good and the bad times.

I hope you get some help with the rogaine and wish you luck if you decide to pursue other avenues and 2nd opinions.

Hotrox

Purdy Bear
September 2nd, 2010, 02:11 AM
Did the Dermatologist actually give you a diagnosis?

There has to be a reason why he told you to use Regaine, even if the blood tests came back normal.

If its Alopecia, the medical profession pretty much brush it under the carpet as untreatable, which is so not true. They can give you lots of things that work for some (injections, steriods etc).

There is also a lot of proven alternatives that work for alopecia, you just have to try them all out and see if they work for you.

Whatever the Dermatologist said was wrong, do a lot of research into it, and find out for yourself, there is a lot of infomation out there, and they quite frankly dont pass it on because it isnt scientifically proven or tested.

I have Alopecai Univarlis/Areata so I know exactly what your going through.

redheadlynn
September 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I hope you find something that works! My hair thins, breaks, and falls out unless I stay far, far away from gluten.:(

SlightlySoprano
September 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Did the Dermatologist actually give you a diagnosis?

There has to be a reason why he told you to use Rogaine, even if the blood tests came back normal.

She thinks it might have been stress related, but the fact that it never game back totally stumps her. She just said use Rogaine. There is no official diagnosis other than your hair is thinning and we need to control the hair loss.

Gypsygirl
September 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Awww, sweetie, I had no idea you were going through this! Do get a second opinion, just to be sure. Here's tight hug for you... :grouphug:

SlightlySoprano
September 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Guys I'm super skeptical about getting a second opinion... I mean...

If EVERYTHING came back normal.... what could it be?:(:(:(