PDA

View Full Version : Big Cut- YIKES

cdmorefield
September 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have not had my hair cut in over 4 years, after giving it some thought I decided I needed to get a cut.

I went to my hair guy I used when I kept shorter styles because I was always pleased with my cut. I knew from past experience he would cut it shorter than I asked him to so I asked him to take off 3" and assumed he would take about 6". Well when it was all said and done he took 12" and it looks like 14" because magically without the length my hair turned curly!

The cut is really nice and looks good, but it is not what I wanted at all I was at tailbone and hoping for classic. I am just a little miffed that he cut so much hair. Now I am not only trying to figure out how to put up with APL hair, I also have to figure out these curls. The curls are really curly spiral curls, whats up with that?!?!

I should also apologize to all the other posters who said that their trims turned into major chops.....When I read others posts about this I would think maybe people were exaggerating and couldn't believe that a hair dresser would do that, but apparently they do.

spidermom
September 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
How alarming!

Arianwen
September 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
That's like my worst nightmare...go back, DEMAND A REFUND! he did not deliver what you asked for!

Luna Lavender
September 1st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Wow, I'm so happy my hairdresser just takes off what I tell her to take off.

I think it's strange though, I mean, if they to that to all their clients (ignoring what they ask for), how do they keep getting away with it? I would definitely never go back there anymore.

I'm glad you are still kind of okay with it (at least, it sounds like you are?).

christine1989
September 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Its so shocking to me to hear these stories about people getting so much chopped off and being so upset. That's awful that this happened to you but way to go handling it so well! It sounds like you are taking it better than most people who this happens to. I have read some hairdresser horror stories where people sound almost suicidal at the loss of their hair. At the very least I bet your hemline looks really thick and nice :).

DakarNick
September 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
That sucks. But, I have to ask. Why didn't you have him show you where he was cutting? And how did you not feel the scissors at your armpits rather than your waist?

I've never had long hair, and therefore never a haircut of more than a few inches, but I would think one would notice the difference between 3 and 12 inches.

cdmorefield
September 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am ok, my hair looks really nice and I've had it short before. I am just trying to focus on the positive. My hair dries really fast now, I have no split ends.... I am sure there are more good things I just can't think of any more.

I am just disappointed to have such a set back when I was getting closer to my goal. My poor hubby and son (4 years old) are more upset than I am, they really loved my hair. DS keeps asking me how I'm going to make a bun "I weally woved you bun mamma", that makes me sad.

I really was shocked to see it though. When I got there we talked about what I wanted done and he said "ok I'm going to take the length right now though so you can't back out" and he chopped about 4". Then he started with the cut and styling. I asked a few times if he was taking more length and he just kept assuring me he was only cleaning up the ends.

He blow dried and styled it and when I left it was just above BSL, after I washed it the curls just appeared and took up so much more length that it looks like APL.

tinti
September 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Oh god! If someone had cut my hair to eye lenght when I wanted just to chop a few inches to bsl I would've cried.

cdmorefield
September 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM
That sucks. But, I have to ask. Why didn't you have him show you where he was cutting? And how did you not feel the scissors at your armpits rather than your waist?

I've never had long hair, and therefore never a haircut of more than a few inches, but I would think one would notice the difference between 3 and 12 inches.

We agreed on the first cut, mostly I asked him to take about 3" and he took about 4" in one big chop. He showed me that.

The rest he did with me facing away from the mirror him working on the back of my hair. I did not fee the scissors near my armpits or any where near my back for reference because he was pulling my hair out and away from my head to cut it. When he started working on the front I did see how short he was cutting my hair but by then the whole back was already cut so I figure It was too late to start complaining.

I'm telling you in the past when I would read about this happening to other people I found it hard to believe too, hence the apology, but by the time I knew how much he was cutting it was too late.

farewell_nancy
September 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
That's insane. Did he think you wouldn't notice, that you couldn't tell the difference between three inches and twelve?

cdmorefield
September 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have before and after pics I just don't know how to post them. If I put them up on my FB could I put a link to them?

Arianwen
September 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
www.photobucket.com make account, upload, click "share" get the IMG code. :)

LadyLongLocks
September 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
That is really sad!I am so sorry that happened! I once got 8" when I wanted 3".
Maybe find a long hair salon next trim.There is a list of them here at LHC.
At least you have healthy ends now. Try some different styles with your new length.
Just remember that your hair is growing right now and before you know it, you will have some of your length back. Focus on keeping your hair as healthy as possible for the moment and enjoy your healthy thick ends.Hopefully you can make some new styles that your family will love.

PrincessBob
September 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear that this happened with a hairdresser you thought you could trust, having been a previous customer. I suppose he, being a certified hairdresser thought he new better than you did, what was best for your hair. The fact that he turned you away from the mirror t o"clean up" the ends (conspiracy theories aside) makes it seem like he didn't care for your input anymore.

But, hey, silver lining. Your partner loves you very much and will get to watch the reset of your growing process, which might be fun for him in the long run (let him take monthly pictures, like they do for pregnant women, and at the 12 month mark you can make a nifty color shifted collage. As for your Bun, I am really sorry. You can probably still do double buns, which I find quite attractive and your little guy might like as well. I like to part my hair vertically and place the buns high and to the side a little for the cat-ear effect, but you can place them further back on your head, or part horizontally for a classy unobtrusive look.
You are a fine lady and I would like to echo the others in appreciating the aplomb with which you are handling the situation.

HikerTrash
September 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM
You sound a lot less upset than I would be.

One thing I really like about having long hair is I can cut it myself. I would never trust anyone at a hair salon to cut it.

xoxophelia
September 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I would have passed out.

I think if you want to grow your hair long it is a good idea to learn to do it yourself. That is what I have been doing and it is nice being able to get frequent small trims and none of the worry.

paperwhite
September 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Wow, that's really, really unfortunate. I'll admit, I do get suspicious every time the stylist turns me away from the mirror. That's never ended well for me. I'm sorry you ended up with such a drastic change--is there any way you'd go back and at least tell someone about it (like the stylist and the manager)? I'd ask for every cent back and never go there again. It's not like this was a tiny, easily fixed mistake :(

Carolyn
September 1st, 2010, 06:00 PM
I went to my hair guy I used when I kept shorter styles because I was always pleased with my cut. I knew from past experience he would cut it shorter than I asked him to so I asked him to take off 3" and assumed he would take about 6". Well when it was all said and done he took 12" and it looks like 14" because magically without the length my hair turned curly!
This should have been your first clue here. The guy is scissor happy. How clear did you make it to him that you are growing your hair and you want to keep it long?

I really was shocked to see it though. When I got there we talked about what I wanted done and he said "ok I'm going to take the length right now though so you can't back out" and he chopped about 4". Then he started with the cut and styling. I asked a few times if he was taking more length and he just kept assuring me he was only cleaning up the ends.
This should have been your cue to get out of the chair and run. Not wanting you to back out is something someone who plans to cut a lot off would say. He didn't care if you got the cut you wanted. He wanted to do what he wanted, your wishes be damned. He saw long hair and wanted to get creative.

Wow, that's really, really unfortunate. I'll admit, I do get suspicious every time the stylist turns me away from the mirror. That's never ended well for me. I'm sorry you ended up with such a drastic change--is there any way you'd go back and at least tell someone about it (like the stylist and the manager)? I'd ask for every cent back and never go there again. It's not like this was a tiny, easily fixed mistake :(This. Go back and raise hell with him and the manager. Get your money back and do not darken the door of that salon ever again. Tell your friends what happened. Tell everyone you know. A little bad publicity might be a slight revenge for what he did to you. There are wonderful stylists out there but there are a bunch of really bad ones like this guy. It's a shame as they give the good stylists a bad rap. Yes your hair will grow again but you shouldn't have to do grow it again because of his arrogance.

Bolding above mine.

Luckysock
September 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
seriously, who takes a foot of hair off and doesn't expect the client to be upset!? :s

Unless you are going in saying I NEED A BIG CHANGE, which you weren't - 12 inches would be a shock to anyone.

You would think he would want to make you happy and would anticipate that such a chop would be upsetting. Anyone who grows their hair to tailbone, obviously likes long hair - I think what he did was disrespectful of your wishes and he should loose you as a client for that...

MissManda
September 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
I am so sorry that this happened to you. :grouphug: I remember when I was a child with long hair, I dreaded getting to my hair trimmed (I'd hide from my parents in protest) because I knew the hairstylists would always take off more than was necessary. It's a shame that this hairdresser did not respect your wishes because he gives a lot of hairstylists a bad name.

Even my most trusted hairdresser took off more than I would have liked and ever since I moved into a new town/state, I find it really hair to find a trustworthy hairdresser. I have taken matters into my own hands and have begun a self-trimming regimen. Now I feel very empowered because I know I don't have to worry about taking too much off because I am completely i control of my hair now.

At least you don't have any split ends and your hemline probably looks nice and even. :) Your hair will grow back even better and more beautiful this time, I'm sure.

You seem to be handling the situation quite well. If that had been me, I would have probably burst into tears and would have refused to pay.

Luckysock
September 1st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Maybe find a long hair salon next trim.There is a list of them here at LHC.

Sorry to Hijack - does anyone know how I can find this list? my search didn't work...

tanya222
September 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM
Totally agree with Carolyn and Luckysock ~ he did not do what you asked him to do. I actually know a bit of how you feel, years ago (when I was younger and less assertive than I am now) I had a lady take off 6" when I only asked for a 1" trim (she did it crooked and had to fix it) In retrospect I should not have even paid. I was mad for weeks. And from 3" to 12" is inexcusable. I would be livid. Please go back and complain, or something. It won't help you much but if they realize this guy's doing this to people it might help the next client, maybe the manager doesn't realize he's not respecting people's wishes. And if he still doesn't he shouldn't be a hairstylist.

Drarra
September 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
I agree with everyone above who suggests that you go back and complain. He did not perform the service you requested of him, and that should be brought to his manager's attention. Just plain poor service on his part!

I'm glad that you're able to like the new length.

silverjen
September 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'm so sorry!
The more stylist horror stories I read here, the more convinced I become that self-trim is the only safe option. O_o

boomtownrat
September 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
I agree that you should go back and complain. Even if you don't get a refund, you shouldn't go back to that stylist again.

Angeletti
September 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm so sorry!
The more stylist horror stories I read here, the more convinced I become that self-trim is the only safe option. O_o
My thoughts exactly!

cdmorefield
September 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe I should have been more assertive I just paid and said thank you :rolleyes:. He is the owner of the salon so complaining will do no good. I really did think I could trust him, like I said I knew he would go shorter than what I requested, but in my wildest dreams I never imagined he would chop that much off.

Thank you all so much for the support, I feel better just getting my story out, I laid up quite a bit of last night ruminating over it.

My hemline is very thick and nice and now I have a chance to baby my hair while it grows. I did not baby it the first time around.

JCFantasy23
September 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Okay, seriously?

Four inches to 12? He had to know he was doing that on purpose and just disagreed with you keeping it long and wanted to completely change it all. I would be OUTRAGED.

LisaButz2001
September 1st, 2010, 09:28 PM
I agree with FCFantasy23, when he initially cut the 4 inches and you were OK with the results, he knew, "OK job's done, tidy up." An additional 8 inches was a deliberate act of malice, not the typical miscommunication we ordinarily have.

DecafJane
September 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Oh no. I'm so sorry! That is really nasty. Usually hairdressers are extra cautious when trimming very long hair as they know how much it means to people.

Loreley
September 2nd, 2010, 03:34 AM
This is terrible! :( The same happened to me a few years ago. I have trimmed my own hair since then.

wvgemini
September 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
I agree with FCFantasy23, when he initially cut the 4 inches and you were OK with the results, he knew, "OK job's done, tidy up." An additional 8 inches was a deliberate act of malice, not the typical miscommunication we ordinarily have.

This. I have a few friends who are stylists and I HIGHLY doubt they would ever just "oops, I accidentally cut off 8 inches of hair!" That is a LOT.

jennyjb
September 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
That's awful! I'm feeling angry on your behalf.

And I sympathise - I haven't had a hairdresser do exactly what I wanted since I was a teenager (and that was a friend who was a trainee hairdresser) and I was never assertive enough to say anything to them. For the last 12 years or so I've trimmed my own, including fringe/bangs. Not perfectly, but at least I'm in control.

Best of luck with your future growing!

Night_Kitten
September 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
I am so sorry this happened to you! :grouphug:
That stylist obviously did it on purpose, he definitely does not deserve to have you as a client! I can't believe some people are capable of doing things like that, that's just nasty!

I haven't gone to the hairdresser's without my mom with me ever sinse I started growing my hair - I'm just too afraid something like this would happen... :uhh:
It's a stylist I know for about 6 years, and my mom goes to her too, but I still don't trust her 100%...

Chrissy
September 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
I have not had my hair cut in over 4 years, after giving it some thought I decided I needed to get a cut.

The cut is really nice and looks good, but it is not what I wanted at all I was at tailbone and hoping for classic. I am just a little miffed that he cut so much hair. Now I am not only trying to figure out how to put up with APL hair, I also have to figure out these curls. The curls are really curly spiral curls, whats up with that?!?!

I should also apologize to all the other posters who said that their trims turned into major chops.....When I read others posts about this I would think maybe people were exaggerating and couldn't believe that a hair dresser would do that, but apparently they do.

I haven't read the whole thread but............I guess I'm confused why you would go to him knowing that he doesn't listen to you. I think that is so rude. I don't get why you say your "miffed" if you know it's what he does. I think I would not have gone back to him. I'm actually fearful of hairdressers because they many times don't listen. They do what they feel is the best thing. Uughh.

I do have a stylist I like and she does listen. I haven't had a trim in forever however. Again I'm really sorry this happened to you but feel you went into in with the knowledge of who he is and what he does. I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Chrissy
September 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Also just because he's the manager is not a reason not to complain. I would complain big time!!! I would also tell him you know a lot of people and will be letting them know not to go to his salon. This sounds mean but.....no one should do this EVER!!! I don't care who they are.

Henrietta
September 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
What?! From TBL to APL? Is he insane?!
Of course he is.
The curls may disappear in few days. Hair aways behaves weird just after a cut. There is hope.

luluj
September 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I need a trim, it has been 16 months since I had my pixie cut to get out the last of the remaining hair color, and my ends are showing their age. I asked for the pixie, of course, but the "sting" of having such a short crop has stayed with me. I am so, so apprehensive to go for a trim, and stories like this are the reason why!

Bianca
September 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm very sorry this happend to you, you are taking it a lot better than I would have though :)

That said, I dont think I ever dare going to the hairdresser again. In some months time when I have to get the last dyed hair cut of, and tell them, "just one lenght please, no layers or anything fancy" i'm sure I would get just that.

emsahib
September 2nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm so annoyed with hairdresses not listening, some of them seem to think they're in control becuase they're the ones with the scissors, they don't realise its not their hair! Luckily I've never had any hairdresser say they were going to chop only x amount and chop more. I did have a lot cut off in the past when I didn't want much off but the hairdresser suggested to me before hand that I should have more off becuase it was damaged. This I don't mind as it's only advice and you can choose to do what you want. Did he really not tell you how much he was going to cut off?

ArienEllariel
September 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
That's insane. Did he think you wouldn't notice, that you couldn't tell the difference between three inches and twelve?

I know, right? I would have cried.. well, mostly cause my hair is just about APL and it's a pain to deal with now. There aren't many updos I can do. 12 inches is like... *counts on fingers* 2 years worth of growth for the average person. :mad:

Mexibeach
September 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
I would have cried.. well, mostly cause my hair is just about APL and it's a pain to deal with now. There aren't many updos I can do. 12 inches is like... *counts on fingers* 2 years worth of growth for the average person. :mad:

:sad:wail::cry: I cried!!! I'm sorry this happened to you!!! Well, if it helps, at least yours is longer than mine!!!! I have learned so much since my cut; never ever ever let them turn you from the mirror........... but I think I am also ditto'ing others who said they only self-trim. That's my future now...

pinchbeck
September 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
You're not the only one this happens to! It has happened to me and just did in the past two months. My hair was mbl and it magically ended up being at bsl when I was VERY specific that I did not want my length cut. I wanted layers put into my hair. The back of my hair looks very strange to say the least.

I am sorry this happened to you, too. It is surprising, though, that your hairdresser took it upon himself to take off way more than you asked. Maybe in his mind he was doing the right thing. But no matter what his intentions were he was obligated as your stylist to listing to your preferences.

I would never go to him again.

Unofficial_Rose
September 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Gosh, that is a horrible thing to happen, and you are taking it so well.

By the way, it's nice to see no 'smug ****' replies from people insisting that this never happens to them, because they were clear about what they asked for. :) You can be perfectly clear, and they can still ignore you.

ArienEllariel
September 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Gosh, that is a horrible thing to happen, and you are taking it so well.

By the way, it's nice to see no 'smug ****' replies from people insisting that this never happens to them, because they were clear about what they asked for. :) You can be perfectly clear, and they can still ignore you.

Long before I started growing my hair out a hairdresser ignored what I told them and cut my hair full of layers when I specifically said I wanted a blunt cut. I don't get it.. you come into a salon and specify what you want and you're ignored. It's like the stylist thinks you're a canvas and they should paint whatever they feel like when in reality you're the person commisioning the piece.

LaurelSpring
September 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM

I've had this experience before. When you have the cape on and towel draped over you and your hair is hanging behind the chair you cant really tell what they are doing back there. If it was someone that you use to go to and trusted then you might be more inclined to relax and believe that they would do what you wanted. Because I have been through this, the last couple of times I did go to a salon I was obnoxiously obsessive about seeing everything and scrutinizing the amount of hair being cut. Its a shame to have to do that but can be necessary. Once burned....

PrincessBob
September 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but............I guess I'm confused why you would go to him knowing that he doesn't listen to you. I think that is so rude. I don't get why you say your "miffed" if you know it's what he does. I think I would not have gone back to him. I'm actually fearful of hairdressers because they many times don't listen. They do what they feel is the best thing. Uughh.

I do have a stylist I like and she does listen. I haven't had a trim in forever however. Again I'm really sorry this happened to you but feel you went into in with the knowledge of who he is and what he does. I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I am afraid I, too am guilty of telling a hairdresser to take 2" when I totally expect them to take 4". Dealing with my aunt ( a professional stylist, goodness knows) taught me that a number of stylists have poor depth perception and 1" can easily become 5" whilst they even out their trim. :confused:

Beyond that we are taught, societally, to trust professionals, so even our historical knowledge can fall by the wayside, or we think of ways to avoid the problem... Like asking for less of a trim than you expect.

Peggy E.
September 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I just don't understand this sort of thing. What's the point of willfully, blatantly disregarding the explicit request made by your customer makes absolutely no sense.

Would that not guarantee you are driving away any further business with this customer, as well as the warnings to avoid - instead of recommendations - these ignored customers will now be passing along to friends, relatives and acquaintances?

You can't run a business this way. Not when you live or die based upon the services you provide your customers.

Why do we hear so many of these horror stories? Is it because the good and valued hairdressers, who follow their customers' requests, don't merit our mention because they simply do it right, so there's nothing to complain about to the group?!

Maybe we should have a "Highly Recommended Hairdresser" list! I don't have anyone to add!!!

beez1717
September 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oh no (cries). There should be a code of ethics for barbers. It would say something like "I shall not over cut a customers hair and will do what i'm told so they come back"

Coffeebug
September 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I can't believe he lied to you like that!! That's just wrong... I'm so sorry to hear that.

Don't worry too much about the curls though, when I was 16 I had a similar length taken off mine and it went all curly, but the curls dropped after around 4 weeks. Random!