PDA

View Full Version : very thin hair styles?

wadawas
September 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hi everyone :)

I've been watching Torrin Paige's hair style tutorials & love them, but... I have 1/10th the amount of hair. So many of the fun updos just end up looking like a small bun on me.

So, any suggestions of updos that look great for long, thin hair?
Thanks!

aksown
September 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
I really like Spidermom's bun. Really, any buns that are wrapped will have more volume than a twisted one, ie Lazy Wrap, Nautilus (sort of), Cowry Shell, Chinese and Japanese, Karen Lynn, Celtic Knot, etc. A bun that quadruples your hair is a Sock Bun, or a Rolled Sock Bun. It uses a sock to give volume to the bun. I have hair on the thin side of normal and I very rarely do a twisted bun cause it ends up teeny-tiny. Hope this helps!

RitaPG
September 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM
LOL the same happens to me.
I always think of this girl when I want to make an updo, she has the most elegant buns. My hair is way shorter, but it gives me some great ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18xKY5ZDG4s&feature=related

pinkbunny
September 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I have thin long hair! I post updo pics here in my LHC profile albums, and I've also got a couple hair tutorials on youtube with more on the way (as soon as I find the time). http://www.youtube.com/user/pinkbunnyjrocker

patience
September 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM
I have just learned to manipulate the hair more. Fanning it out here, poofing it there. :)

I do plenty of styles. Feel free to check out my albums.

btw, I'm just at 2" circumference pony if that helps.

ETA- just realized you don't have enough posts to see albums. Keep posting and a whole new world of styling ideas will open up once you can check out albums. :D

OtiggerificO
September 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Cheers for posting this up.
I enjoy trying all the different buns I'm learning about but it's nice to find style that maximise thin hair :)

Arianwen
September 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM
LOL the same happens to me.
I always think of this girl when I want to make an updo, she has the most elegant buns. My hair is way shorter, but it gives me some great ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18xKY5ZDG4s&feature=related

That's Emichee *sp* a member on this board! wow!

wadawas
September 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was hoping to find ideas that were not bun related. I tired of them :(

The circumference of my pony is less then 1"

I don't have the time to visit forums i'm a part of often, so my posts are usually low. So i'm going to post a few ohh's & awe's to be able to view albums. Please forgive me for my lack on intelligent content posts!

rags
September 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
My hair is only BSL at the moment but has been tailbone, and I have a 1.5 or 1.75 inch pony. (it varies, I swear! Or else I'm just a horrible measurer! :p) Anyway, I love French and Dutch braids. If you take smaller sections, they end up looking very intricate and you can bun the bottom and that looks really good. Or leave it down! I just almost never do two because they look pitiful on me.

I do usually wear buns mostly, but other than that, a very small sectioned Dutch braid is my go-to style. Good luck!

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I understand 100% about the thin-hair-updos not looking like other people's thick-hair-updos.

My best advice would be to keep trying all the hairstyles out until you find a handful that work. I have about three so far. LOL! I think I am finally at the point of being able to do a french braid, and those are bumpy enough to be an improvement over the flat-hair tiny-headed bun look.

haibane
September 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I like a faux crown braid, wrapping a braid around the head, which looks cute imo even if the braid isn't so thick. It takes really long hair to reach all the way around with one braid (though I think this is one of the instances where thinner hair makes it easier!)
Maybe for not so long hair milkmaid braids or heidi braids where you wrap two braids would work.

Anyone try hair taping with thinner hair? I want to try it, but I think I'd need to get a thin band. I fear a thicker, velvet type band would end up looking bulky.

jackiesjottings
September 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Totally understand too :(( I usually end up just sticking it all up with a claw clip :((But the video for the renaissance bun looks really easy so I might give that a go.

Babyfine
September 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I do sock buns, wrapped buns, and french twists where I poof up the front. That's about it for now. I just don't have enough volume for other buns to make them look good, IMO. I need more length as well to get a "bigger" look to my buns.
I also don't like to do cinnabuns as the buns look too teeny tiny on me, like the size of a quarter.
I'm hoping to get more length so that I can make my styles look like more.

littlenvy
September 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I really like the Chignon :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=132

Its simple yet classy with the right toys ;) And you can do it with shorter hair as well.
I'm under 2" and mine looks something like this:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/fakech.jpg

PS .. I can't even do sock buns becasue my hair is so thin the sock shows through. LOL

irishlady
September 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm so glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing :)

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

I don't have the time to visit forums i'm a part of often, so my posts are usually low. So i'm going to post a few ohh's & awe's to be able to view albums. Please forgive me for my lack on intelligent content posts!

It is more limiting with styles when you don't want a smaller bun. I wish my hair was thicker too! Try styles that puff out like some have said. To my mind I thought of for you maybe to try the puff out braid bun, the directions are on this forum here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=93). Or try some experiments with sock buns maybe? I know you said you are tired of buns, and I understand that too.

lajsa
September 10th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I like sock buns. My hair isn't as thin as yours perhaps, but I do feel I don't have the thickest hair around, if we put it that way :p But my sock bun (I do them fully rolled) problem is that the sock pokes through because a) I'm not good at rolling yet and b) my hair is too thin to cover like I want it to. My solution? I decided once again I want longer hair so I can roll it enough times to cover everything properly. :D

lesbia
September 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Very helpful this tread! I found nice ideas for my updos :) thanks!

YesitsReal
September 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have really fine hair, which means my buns & braids lack thickness, too. If I want my bun to be bigger, I'll divide it in half and use one strand to make the center of the bun and the other strand to wrap around the outside. For example, if I want to do a braided bun, I just divide my ponytail in half and braid each half. Then, using the braid on the right, I wrap it around my ponytail base and pin. Next, I use the other braid and wrap it around the bun I just made and pin (hope that was clear!). It makes the bun look like I have more hair in it than I do.

I also really like sock (I have a huge hair rat, not a sock) buns. They're GIGANTIC, and for some reason everybody buys that it's your hair in there! :cheese:

Babyfine
September 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I really like the Chignon :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=132

Its simple yet classy with the right toys ;) And you can do it with shorter hair as well.
I'm under 2" and mine looks something like this:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/fakech.jpg

PS .. I can't even do sock buns becasue my hair is so thin the sock shows through. LOL

My hair shows through, too. but I managed to find a bun rat or donut at a Claire's hair accesories that was small (probably meant for a child) and is a dark brown so I arrange my hair and the parts that show through aren't noticable at all.

wadawas
September 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone, there have been a lot of great suggestions. Even if some don't work for me, it gets me into a creative mood :)

I thought of a need idea wile falling asleep the other night. When i get around to trying it & if it works, i'll take a pic.

I want to try to avoid updos that rely on a single pony (i've lost a lot of hair due to hormonal problems & don't want to stress out newer hair with the pulling). So i thought: 6 ponies spread out, twist a bit around each base for fullness, then loop the end & secure. Somehow. LOL...
A la Phoebe Buffay.

Hey, yeah... has anyone found a tutorial for phoebe buffay styles? I love her odd hairdo's & can't figure them out...

ETA:

sorry for typos, i was doing too many things at once while typing.... I wish i could edit!

Immera
September 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I felt the same way when I found Torrin's videos. She is how I learned about the TLC. I think the nautilus bun has been the most comfortable.

I came across these hair forks (http://www.etsy.com/listing/55407610/vintage-tortoise-color-made-in-france) They are smaller and don't over shadow the bun.

Genne
May 27th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone.

Hi there,
I see this is an older post I'm replying to but, still relevant.

This is about how thick/thin my hair is also.

I just tried a nautilus bun but, no matter how I tried, it just slipped right out. I think I need to get a fork or a nice holder with a stick that goes through it, because I'd really like to get away from scrunchies and bobby pins.
Jen

Cg
May 27th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Yes, try a fork, that's what I use with thin slick hair. Jeters get my vote.

Genne
May 27th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Yes, try a fork, that's what I use with thin slick hair. Jeters get my vote.

A fork is in my future! :)
Jen
p.s. I will try to be cautiously optimistic.

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM
One other thing to try, something I do every day: start with a French braid (I usually braid only to about APL or maybe BSL). That gives your fork something to anchor to besides thin slippery vertical hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2019, 11:07 AM
I know you said you're not keen on buns but have you thought of a Nessa bun? They can make it look like you have lots of hair, also a Spock bun.

You could also try braiding your hair with a paranda to add thickness and length, colour also if you wish! :)

Ergh, I see it's an old thread.

Proverbs31
May 28th, 2019, 11:34 AM
I have very thin hair as well, and I like to do faux braids - the faux fishtail and pull-through are two of my favorites =) It adds the illusion of thickness, and both are pretty quick and easy styles (especially the faux fishtail). Going back and 'pancaking' the braid is helpful too, and, at least in my experience, it hasn't hurt or broken my hair.

CosmoCat
May 28th, 2019, 04:29 PM
I haven’t measured recently, but around 2013, I was “ii”...2 or 3 inches. I struggle with doing my hair, would love to learn easy protective styles that work for thinner hair.