PDA

View Full Version : Extra shine while you sleep

dianehair
September 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
A quick tip passed to me from my grandmother.

To get extra shiny hair without any effort, make yourself a pillowcase from an old silk headscarf. I myself used the back panel from a silk shirt that had gone out of fashion in purple paisley! I simply hand stitched the cut out back panel off the shirt onto my pillowcase.

You wake from your beauty sleep with no static and extra shiny hair.

:)

little_cherry
September 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yes!! :D
I actually made myself a sleep cap with a silk scarf. It's awesome! ^_^

naereid
September 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
That definitely sounds like a good idea.

I tried asking my grandmother for some hair and styling tips, and she just said "oh, I'd just go to the hairdresser once a week and get it done". :p

Anje
September 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Silk and satin pillowcases are also excellent for folks with curly hair. In general, the hair just slides across silky materials, so it prevents breakage for anyone. For curly-haired folks and those who have a style (like braids) that they want to keep for a while without it getting fuzzy, having a material that doesn't catch hair as much as cotton means that hair is less frizzy in the morning.

emsahib
September 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
That definitely sounds like a good idea.

I tried asking my grandmother for some hair and styling tips, and she just said "oh, I'd just go to the hairdresser once a week and get it done". :p

once a week! thats loads I haven't been in 4 or 5 months

Feng-Shui
September 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Yes!! :D
I actually made myself a sleep cap with a silk scarf. It's awesome! ^_^

I did the same.:bottomsup:

It is very pleasantly to carry in the night.:inlove:

Arianwen
September 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
My great-gramma brushed her hair 100 strokes every night...uh no thanks. :)

naereid
September 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
once a week! thats loads I haven't been in 4 or 5 months
Yeah, it was common back in the 50s and 60s to get your hair done profesionally every week because it was such a time-consuming process. Then they just hairsprayed it every morning until the next appointment. :grnbiggri

Carolyn
September 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
once a week! thats loads I haven't been in 4 or 5 monthsOh yeah :rolleyes: A lot of women in my mom's generation go/went once a week. They have what my mom called a "standing appointment". A certain day of the week was "hair day". Nothing and I mean NOTHING interferes with hair day. When I was growing up, I used to be afraid I'd have to do that someday. I had it in my mind that somehow I'd lose my ability to do my own hair and I'd have to get it done every week like my mom. Silly me :D

Yes that's a good tip to recycle a scarf. I've used a polyester or acetate satin nightgown over a pillow too. If you'd like a really nice satin pillowcase, check out LisaJaney's pillowcases. They are wonderful.

breezefaerie
September 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM
I swear by my silk pillowcase. Everything, including my face, just glides on it. I don't wake up with a sleep creased face!

sparkle'n'bling
September 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
Good timing for me seeing this thread - I've just bought a couple of satin pillowcases. Hope they work - both on the hair and on the 'sleep-creased face'.

christine1989
September 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
I can't immagine going to the hairdresser once a week! Were people made of money back then or something?

ArienEllariel
September 1st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah :rolleyes: A lot of women in my mom's generation go/went once a week. They have what my mom called a "standing appointment". A certain day of the week was "hair day". Nothing and I mean NOTHING interferes with hair day. When I was growing up, I used to be afraid I'd have to do that someday. I had it in my mind that somehow I'd lose my ability to do my own hair and I'd have to get it done every week like my mom. Silly me :D

:laugh: That's hysterical!

CrowningGlory
September 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
You can just rub a silk scarf over your hair to get the same effect - or so I've read. I tried it once but didn't notice any difference but it is meant to give you shiny hair.

little_cherry
September 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
You can just rub a silk scarf over your hair to get the same effect - or so I've read. I tried it once but didn't notice any difference but it is meant to give you shiny hair.
I think the OP means that there is a difference in sleeping on a silk pillow case as there is less friction than you'd get with a cotton pillowcase. It keeps the hair neater= less tangles= less damage. :)

Loreley
September 2nd, 2010, 01:51 AM
I usually tie a silk scarf on my bun (actually, I secure the bun with the scarf). :) My mum found a satin blouse in the wardrobe a few days ago and she wanted to throw it out but I told her to give it to me. I want to make a sleep cap of it. :D

dianehair
September 2nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
Agree that silk sleep caps are just as good but not all of us can sleep with a cap on not to mention the typical crease lines on the forehead made by most of the sleep caps.

Silk is much better than satin for this purpose.

Silk also will not absorb any of your hair's moisture which is the biggest difference between it and cotton, as cotton wicks away hair's natural moisture thus drying it out.

Another benefit as many have said is the anti wrinkle benefit for the face, as silk allegedly helps in the fight against facial wrinkles.

growing2shine
September 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
:joy:God bless the silk!!!:joy:

Night_Kitten
September 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hmmm... I think I had an old silk nightgown somewhere... *runs off to rummage through the closit*

Henrietta
September 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Do you think satin will work too? ;)

Jenn of Pence
September 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
DH's grandma gets her hair done every Saturday. ;)
It is IMPOSSIBLE to find real silk or satin fabric locally. I've looked, even at the fancy shops. So I've been checking out silk scarves at stores; if I find one that floats my boat that's on sale, I might pick one up. Henrietta, I think satin will work, as long as it's soft and not the cheap, scratchy polyester kind. Actually, doesn't "satin" just refer to the weave of the fiber, not just the fiber itself?

Superfine
September 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, satin describes the weave of the fabric. So you can have:cotton satin, polyester satin, silk satin, etc. I have a polyester satin pillowcase & find it quite slick & good. A few nights I slept with a "regular weave" cotton pillowcase & found that my nape hairs tangled which they don't with the satin.