PDA

View Full Version : Wella Viva mouse or Surya and BAQ henna ?

RaeAndrews
September 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hello henna hair bods.

A quick question for you henna experts. I've been reading the forums for a while now but can't find any info pertaining exactly to my question so I hope you'll bear with me.

I have some root growth I need to cover until my next batch of henna arrives (my lengths have been henna-ed for the last year or so). If I do it with a temp job like Wella Viva Mousse (sorry, I can't find any ingredient info on the net about it other than it has no ammonia and is a 6 to 8 washes mousse job, so I'm hoping someone may have prior experience) or a Surya creme henna (http://www.ecohamster.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8866), will it fry my hair, make it explode, turn it green, make it turn against me in any way ? How about when I come to re-henna my roots over this temp fix ? Any potential nasties there ?

My hair is henna-ed lengths with white / grey roots. I am out of BAQ henna awaiting a delivery and my band has a gig tomorrow night. I'd rather not look like a bi coloured grey haired old rocker girl :) so a temp fix would be great if I can get away with it. Which would be better, the Wella Viva or the Surya ? Or none of those and just brazen it out ? I can't wear a hat on stage, I'll cook. ;)

Many thanks for any advice, even if it consists of "Don't do it !!!"

kwaniesiam
September 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Can you wear a bandanna or headband to cover the portion of roots while on stage? I wouldn't mess with either of those, especially since you have a shipment of henna arriving soon and you might not be able to match the color well.

marisa
September 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM
I recently started touching up my roots with surya and am quite happy with the results. I am finding it a quick and easy way to maintain my color in between hennas.
I henna 1-2 times a month and touch up with surya in between.

I have dark brown hair with streaks of grey around my face.

I have used the dark brown which was a bit orange at first, then greenish, then settled in a rich dark brown after a couple of hours.
Last time I used Chocolate Brown, which was very orange at first then turned a very nice reddish brown.

I use Karishma brand henna from the Indian grocery and my experience has been good alternating between the two. Nothing bad has happened to my hair.

I also have a root touch up stick (like a hair crayon from the beauty supply shop) for when I don't have time to dye. I expect the mousse would be a quick easy fix as well.

Most of my grey is concentrated around my hairline and my hair grows fairly quickly, I see tiny dots of sparkley white popping out just 2-3 days after a henna. That's the area I concentrate on, just not ready to transition to natural yet, I am loving henna too much at the moment.

RaeAndrews
September 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Can you wear a bandanna or headband to cover the portion of roots while on stage? I wouldn't mess with either of those, especially since you have a shipment of henna arriving soon and you might not be able to match the color well.

I'm not too worried about matching the colour as it goes as to be honest I can't really tell the difference between shades of colour anymore (I've been severely sight impaired for twelve years), more just interested in it not being white. People tell me my roots are really bad right now. Argh.
I am not the bandana sort but a headband could be an idea - thanks for that ! I don't usually wear one because due to my eyesight I am terrible at placing them. But I'd give it a go, I'm sure I've got quite a wide one somewhere.
Why didn't I think of that ? Doh. ;)

Isilme
September 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have used Wella mousse to temporary cover my roots and to add a different hue to my hennaed lengths and I have had no problems at all. Not fun waking around with roots!
I have no experience with the henna creme.

RaeAndrews
September 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
I recently started touching up my roots with surya and am quite happy with the results. I am finding it a quick and easy way to maintain my color in between hennas.
I henna 1-2 times a month and touch up with surya in between.

I have dark brown hair with streaks of grey around my face.

I have used the dark brown which was a bit orange at first, then greenish, then settled in a rich dark brown after a couple of hours.
Last time I used Chocolate Brown, which was very orange at first then turned a very nice reddish brown.

I use Karishma brand henna from the Indian grocery and my experience has been good alternating between the two. Nothing bad has happened to my hair.

I also have a root touch up stick (like a hair crayon from the beauty supply shop) for when I don't have time to dye. I expect the mousse would be a quick easy fix as well.

Most of my grey is concentrated around my hairline and my hair grows fairly quickly, I see tiny dots of sparkley white popping out just 2-3 days after a henna. That's the area I concentrate on, just not ready to transition to natural yet, I am loving henna too much at the moment.

I think my Surya is a brown one. It probably wouldn't be a good colour match (who knows, as I said in the above post I can't really tell) but it would be better than white as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want it frying or splitting or any nasties like that. Good to know you've had no problems though. I may try it later on and report back if I can't get the hang of the hairband idea !
Thanks to both of you.

RaeAndrews
September 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
I have used Wella mousse to temporary cover my roots and to add a different hue to my hennaed lengths and I have had no problems at all. Not fun waking around with roots!
I have no experience with the henna creme.

Even more good news ! Thanks !!

little_cherry
September 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'd be worried about using the surya creme if you're into natural..the powder on the other hand should be ok....

I agree with kwaniesiam; I wouldn't worry about your roots if you have a shipment arriving soon. I have many silvers with medium ash brown and I don't mind when my roots come in. Whenever I oil, it makes my length and roots match somehow and I just don't care because no one in the street is going to get in my face to look at my roots. :) Updos and headbands are fantastic for hiding roots if you're worried. :)

Gvnagitlvgei
September 1st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Surya comes in many colors and you might be able to mix two to get the exact match. It does not fry hair at all. In fact, it's very moisturizing and gentle, made of natural ingredients with no peroxides or metallic salts at all.

little_cherry
September 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
There are the ingredients list on the Ash blond creme:

Water/Aqua, Ethoxydiglycol(and)Methylpyrrolidone, Tall Oil Acid(and)Ethylene Glycol(and)Cocamide Dea (and) Diethanolamine (and) Monoethanolamine (and) Oleamide Mipa, Acrylates Copolymer(and) PPG-1 Trideceth-6 (and) Mineral Oil,Lawsonia Inermis(Henna)Leaves Extract, Arnica Montana Extract, Phyllanthus
Emblica(Amla),Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana(Guarana), Fruit Extract, Honey Extract, Chamomilla Recutita(Matricaria)Extract, Achillea Millefollum(Yarrow)Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow)Extract, Coryhis Rostrata (Hazel), Seed Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Euterpe Oleracea(Acal) Fruit Extract, Ziziphus joaseiro (jua) Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Berttholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Extract

May contain: HC Yellow 2, HC Yellow 4, HC Yellow 5, Disperse Blue 3, Disperse Blue 7 HC Red 1, HC Red 3, Disperse Black 9, Disperse Violet 1, HC Blue 2

Most of the ingredients listed are great, but the artificial colour additives and solvents listed here worry me and others (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ioXQPMQGKAkJ:www.longhaircommunity. com/archive/showthread.php%3Ft%3D76952+Ethoxydiglcol+surya&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca).

Ethoxydiglycol (http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=702287), Methylpyrrolidone (solvent- used to strip paint) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylpyrrolidone), Ethylene glycol (found in anti freeze) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol), Diethanolamine (skin irritant) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethanolamine), Ethanolamine (a toxic, flammable and corrosive liquid) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanolamine).

Use if you'd like, but those ingredients don't sound friendly to me at all...

mamaherrera
May 19th, 2011, 12:45 AM
OK finally found someone with my issue exactly. I die those roots with henna that surround my forehead, and within 2-3 days white pricklies are out and about again . Seems like so much time invested in henna for so short results Yes they bother me like you wouldn't believe. I am very tempted to see if permanent dye would last longer on those unsightly roots. I feel ya, if anyone has a great realist and safe option besides hats and updos, let us know Because updos will make it more visible, theyre right on the temples!

Anje
May 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I imagine your issue isn't the sort of thing that will be solved by a different dye, because from the sound of it, the grays are just growing really fast.

Between hennas, what about Fancifull rinses (http://www.haircareusa.com/roux_fanci_full_rinse.htm)? Totally impermanent, but you can use something like that as much as you want, and it's quick.

Unofficial_Rose
May 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've used Surya Henna Cream in golden brown and it's perfectly nice. It washes out in about 1 month. Haven't tried Viva. I agree the Surya ingredients concern me a little for long-term use, though, but once or twice shouldn't hurt.

Mesmerise
May 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
OK finally found someone with my issue exactly. I die those roots with henna that surround my forehead, and within 2-3 days white pricklies are out and about again . Seems like so much time invested in henna for so short results Yes they bother me like you wouldn't believe. I am very tempted to see if permanent dye would last longer on those unsightly roots. I feel ya, if anyone has a great realist and safe option besides hats and updos, let us know Because updos will make it more visible, theyre right on the temples!

The problem is your hair grows fast! A permanent color would make no difference at all, because your hair would STILL grow that fast.

Have you considered cutting in a fringe? I have a friend whose hair is colored and grows fast (and her hair is literally 100% gray/white under it), and with a fringe it's much less noticeable that she's got regrowth.

I seem to be fortunate that for some reason, my grey/white/silver hairs don't seem to start at the hairline at the top, so my regrowth isn't quite as obvious (although the sides are a bit).