PDA

View Full Version : aside from damage, why/when to trim

BrianaFineHair
May 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Aside from damaged ends, i.e. splits, is there any other reason to trim/dusting?

My hair hem is blunt and I want to keep it blunt. As long as I don't notice splits, is there ever a need to trim/dusting?

I know it's a strange question, but I honestly don't know since for as long as I can remember (before deciding to grow long) I've been a frequent visitor to the hair stylist.

I'd be happy to never go again. I'm getting "protective" of my hair. :D

Shorty89
May 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
I prefer a blunt hemline on myself so I self trim every couple of months or so when I notice it's getting really uneven. I don't trim much though, it's just a dusting to even up the ends. Depending on how your hair grows, it may grow and keep the blunt shape for a while.

jel
May 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
My hair hem is blunt and I want to keep it blunt. As long as I don't notice splits, is there ever a need to trim/dusting?

Only if/when you notice that your hemline is not blunt any more! Some people have very even growth and their hemline can stay blunt for more than a year - others get fairytaling and uneven ends within a couple of months. It's very individual.

chelles2kids
May 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Other than what you have already mentioned and then if you want to keep your blunt ends thick.
This is what I'm getting ready to do once I reach tailbone. I haven't trimmed since Nov. '07 and am not planning on trimming again until this upcoming November (if I can last that long) so that I can gain as much length as possible and then once I reach a bit past tailbone, I plan on "stalling" for a year to continue small self-trims to help thicken up my ends.
I've noticed them getting a bit thinner than I like. I personally prefer thick, blunt ends.

But other than thos two reasons, no, I can't think of any reason to trim. I know there are alot of no-trimmers here that go for extended periods of time without trimming and their hair is beautiful.

I should also add that some people's hair naturally "fairytales" without trims and some don't.
So if you don't feel the need for a trim, I say go without, you'll get to your goal length that much quicker.;)

As for visiting your hair stylist, you might be interested in learing about Feye's self-trimming method.
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

I for one use it (when I'm not going through a "no-trimming" phase) and it works really well.
I don't have to deal with an appointment, being unhappy with my trim and also not having to put out the added expense.

Michelle

BrianaFineHair
May 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
So for now, for me, it's a wait and see. Yes, I need to keep the blunt hem since I have fine hair and I prefer the blunt since it makes it look fuller.

I'll read up on Feye's method, but I must admit doing a self trim is as scarey as going to my stylist. I may have to change stylist though because the lady I've seen for years has fine thin hair and ultra pixie short. Something tells me she may be too aggressive even if I tell her I'm growing it out.

At the gym I go to a lady I know has waist length hair. I asked her about trimming and she says when her ends start looking bad she goes to someone she trust that does only a dusting. I got the salon and name; I'll go there when ever the time comes for a dusting and I've decided there are two reasons only:

splits or uneven growth at the hemline.

Thanks everyone! :)

Islandgrrl
May 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Aside from damaged ends, i.e. splits, is there any other reason to trim/dusting?

It really depends on how your hair grows. If your growth is even, you might be able to maintain a blunt hemline for a really long time without trimming. If your growth isn't particularly even, you may need more frequent trims to keep your hemline looking good.

spidermom
May 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
And then of course if you've reached your desired length, you would trim to keep it there.

Tap Dancer
May 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM

Changing the hemline, removing layers, removing grown-out color or perms, or keeping your hair at a certain length are good reasons to trim.

talula_fairie
May 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm going to be trimming the very back of my hair so that I don't have a mullet while I am growing out my pixie hair.

Nynaeve
May 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Changing the hemline, removing layers, removing grown-out color or perms, or keeping your hair at a certain length are good reasons to trim.

Agreed.

I don't really plan to ever trim again at this point, personally (if you don't count S&D as a trim, which I don't). I hate blunt hemlines on me, and I want my hair to get to term, so I don't personally have a desired length at which I would begin trimming.

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
i was one who didnt trim for 2 years but with my hair (i like a blunt hemline too) it gets tapers after a few months, so despite the fact i started an annual cutting club:o
I have already broken it! i intend to do dusting's but no trims every couple of months as i want my hair to look tidy, when its longer like waist i may let the fairy's take over but at just over apl fairytale endings dont have the same effect! I also do monthly s&d's

Teacherbear
May 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM

When you want to.

I've grown my hair to my finger-tip length, but prefer it between BSL and waist, so I am keeping it between these two.

julya
May 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
I just trimmed two inches about a month ago for the first time in three years. I am not really sure exactly why I decided to, but I was feeling really frustrated with my hair, and it helped me to feel better.