PDA

View Full Version : A Glossary of LHC Terms and Abbreviations

PrincessBob
August 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
While the posting policies are avid about keeping difficult slang off the boards, people will always, for the sake of expediency use some level of code or shorthand in writing. I don’t think this is a problem; in fact it really identifies us as a community. However, I think my head exploded when I first saw all these abbreviations. For the most part, I understand them now but I thought a glossary of common terms would be helpful to some LHCers. Feel free to correct my definitions and to add to the glossary.

Miscellaneous Abbreviations:

OP: Original Poster. A pronoun used to refer to the person who started a thread (however far back), when the person writing the response can not read (or remember) the name.
ETA: Edited to Add. When the OP has something they have remembered or decided to add in the aftermath that is important to the post and they want to be sure it is not lost in the series of responses that follow they will often add this as a post script to the original message.
LHC: Long Hair Community! You’re here ;) LHC may refer to the website as a whole or to its members.

For privacy purposes and expediency, the following abbreviations are used to explain the relationships of people in posts that include the retelling of events:

DGF: Dear Girlfriend as in “my dear Girlfriend”
DBF: Dear Boyfriend as in “my dear Boyfriend”, OR Dear Best Friend as in “my dear Best Friend”
DS: Dear Son as in “my dear Son”, OR Dear Sister as in “my dear Sister”
DB: Dear Brother as in “my dear Brother”
DD: Dear Daughter as in “my dear Daughter”, OR Dear Dad as in “my dear Dad”
DF: Dear Father as in “my dear Father” or Dear Friend as in "my dear friend"
DH: Dear Husband/Hubby/Honey as in “my dear Husband/Hubby/Honey”
DM: Dear Mother/Mom as in “my dear Mother/Mom”
DW: Dear Wife/Wifey as in “my dear Wife/Wifey”
BIL: Brother-in-law
FIL: Father-in-law
MIL: Mother-in-law
SIL: Sister-in-law

Hair Care terms that may have you tearing your hair out:

ACV: Apple Cider Vinegar. Vinegars made from apples (not apple cider “Flavored” vinegar—read labels). This is often an ingredient in many home-brewed concoctions from drinks to natural cleaning products. Often this abbreviation refers to a dilution of Apple Cider Vinegar used as a rinse after washing your hair (as in the shampoo is rinsed out and the ACV rinse is poured over the scalp and hair, different schools of thought exist as to how to dilute and whether or not to rinse the ACV dilution out).
Bangs: Hair from the front section of the head that is cut to frame the face as with a curtain valance. Can be long, or short, even or angle styled up, curled or left to its own devices. This often requires upkeep of regular or frequent trims. Commonly used as a North American term.
BBB: Boar Bristle Brush. A hair brush featuring natural bristles made from boar (wild male pig) hair. Creates less static than Nylon Bristle Brushes and is useful for distributing the natural oils and sebum of your scalp down the length of your hair.
BS: Baking Soda --not the other BS. Used as a non-poo cleanser by some (That is: mixed into a paste using water and massaged onto the scalp in the shower and rinsed thoroughly.)
Canopy: The hair that is immediately above your scalp, or “the ears and up on your hair.”
CO: Conditioner only washing (that is: no shampoo used on hair except occasional clarifying washes, conditioner is applied and massaged into scalp and rinsed in place of shampoo)
CO: Coconut Oil. The fatty oil pressed from the meat of coconuts. A common ingredient in hair oiling, 'poos and conditioners. Solid at most temperatures below body heat.
‘Cones/ ‘Coney: A hair product (Styling gel, Detangler, Shampoo, Conditioner, et cetera) that contains ingredients derived from silicones (a slippery artificial lubricant compound), generally recognizable by the scientific-sounding name ending in “cone” or "xane" appearing in the ingredients list. This ingredient set increases shine, slip, and artificially staves off or seals damaged hair, but can build up in hair and suffocate it from moisture eventually making it more prone to damage… I think.
CWC: Condition, wash, condition (that is: wash with conditioner first, leaving it on as you normally would, rinsing with water, shampooing, rinsing again, and conditioning again, leaving on as usual, and rinsing it all out again)
DT: Deep Treatment
EVOO: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (used as an ingredient in hair oils, facial oils, soaps, shampoos, lotions, et cetera)
FSG: Flax seed Gel
Fringe: Hair from the front section of the head that is cut to frame the face as with a curtain valance. Can be long, or short, even or angle styled up, curled or left to its own devices. This often requires upkeep of regular or frequent trims. Commonly used as a European Term… I think.
Length: The part of your hair that hangs off your head, I think about it as the “ears and down”, but hair on the back of my head is till scalp, so, do your best to understand.
LOC/LCO: Leave-in Oil Cream http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167
MO: Mineral Oil
OCM: Oil Cleansing Method (that is: Steam-open pores and apply oil, massage and remove oil, yuckies, and bacterial stuff with it, then cool water refine the pores for less breakouts… I think)
‘Poo: Shampoo
‘Poo Bar: A solid shampoo, in bar form used to suds up your scalp (that is: Wet hair thoroughly and massage to loosen whatever grime, rub bar in hands to lather or along scalp, separating hair in multiple points to get sufficient suds, set bar aside— away from water—and use resulting lather to shampoo as usual)
ROO: Rinse Out Oil http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191
SO: Sebum Only Grooming (no “wet washing,” of the hair but rather a grooming routine.)
SO: Also stands for Scalp Only washes (That is: when wet washing in the method of your choice, you do not over dry the length with repeated washings and soap applications, but you still chemically/wetly clear away the oily production in your canopy)
S&D: Search and destroy! An active method of minimizing split ends (That is using sharp scissors, preferably small and only used for hair, to cut away individual split ends, routinely)
SMT: Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...read.php?t=128 (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...read.php/?t=128)
Virgin: Hair that has not been altered by dyes, lightening, or chemical straitening/curls.
WCC: Wash Condition Condition http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314
WO: Water Only washing (that is: No shampoo, no conditioner, just water on your scalp to rinse away sweat and grime, massaging your scalp and mermaid soaking [laying in a tub for a while to loosen oil and dead skin] as needed)
WTC: Wide-toothed comb
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary - hair is quite different from one head to the next and not all methods or products work for all people. You may have a different experience than the poster.

PrincessBob
August 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
(Continued)
We love our body parts on LHC, they give us definable locales for hair without a measuring tape. These are less universal measurements because everybody is built in different shapes and sizes, but give everybody a pretty accurate visual. Hair typing is handy to find people dealing with similar hair and allows us to imagine what they have even if we can’t see the most up-to-date pictures. Some measuring systems are more inexact than others.

Long Hair: What counts as Long Hair varies in the minds of the people. Face it—if you consider it long, someone else will probably agree and some others might disagree. Hair type also makes a difference, thick or curlier hair may appear shorter when dry and longer when wet.
Long Hair: A person with long hair, self identifying notion.
Long-ish: As with Long Hair, personal definitions vary. Arbitrarily I will say from Shoulder to Bra-Strap Length.
Short hair: As inexact as Long Hair. Arbitrarily above the shoulders. Could be styled as a bob, or any number of other styles.
Scalp: The skin from which your head’s hair grows.
Buzz: An amusing way of denoting baldness or shavedness of one’s head. AKA: Scalp Length
Ear Length: Short, maybe styled as an ultra short bob, pixie cut or a grown-out high and tight, or any number of other styles. The point is their ears are being brushed by their longer hairs, and nothing else really is.
Chin Length: Short, often a bob, but many other styles result in hair which, at its longer points, is even with the chin.
SL: Shoulder Length. Intro to what the world calls “long hair,” hair that brushes their shoulders and can often be styled and or pulled back in some way.
APL: Arm Pit Length. This indicates that your hair is below your sternum, and equal or longer than the point where your arms meet your body.
MBL: Mid Back Length. Locate MBL by wrapping a towel, measuring tape, bra, etc around your torso just below your pectoral muscles/above your diaphragm (which ever is easier to identify), this will show you where MBL lands on your back.
BSL: Bra-Strap Length. Same location as MBL.
WL: Waist Length. Your hair is somewhere mid-back where your middle dips in at its smallest, often around or a little above the location of your belly button on the front.
HL: Hip Length ETA: pretty self explanatory... I think. ETA: great debates persist whether this is the top of the hip bone (iliac crest) or the wide part of the hips. The top of the hip bone is used to measure hair, the wide part of the hips is used for clothing measurements.
BCL: Butt Crack Length - the top of the crack
TBL: Tail Bone Length Not all that different from hip length. I think of it as slightly longer, about mid-bottom.
Classic: Hair is level or longer than the point where your legs meet your tuchus/bum/ backside. You would sit on your hair if you sat straight down and or scooted back.
CICT: Can I call this _____? When a person is unsure if they qualify for a given hair length or hair type they may describe themselves using this question.

Hair typing: You can find plenty on this, all around, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to add.

Roman Numerals regarding the thickness of a person’s hair. When all hair is pulled into a ponytail the circumference (area around the outside of the bunched hair) is measured.
i: Less than 2 inches, or less than 5cm. Thin hair, but may be the result of fine hair, not necessarily sparse.
ii: 2”-4” circumference, or between 5 cm and 10 cm. Average or expected thickness for hair.
iii: 4” plus, or more than 10 cm. This is considered thick hair.

Number/letter combinations regarding the straightness/waviness/curliness of one’s hair.
1a: Stick straight
1b: Straight with some body and curve
1c: Straight that waves lightly.
2a: Soft waves
2b: S waves
2c: Swirly waves
3a: Soft curls
3b: Ringlets
3c: Wild curls
4a: Corkscrew curls
4b: Kinky tight curling hairs
4c: Kinky Z curls

Initials regarding the texture of one’s hair.
F: Fine. Soft, hard to see individual strands.
FM: Fine to medium. Still fairly hard to distinguish some strands.
M: Medium. Definite hair.
MC: Medium to Coarse Definite with some wiry strands mixed in.
C: Coarse. Wiry thick strands.

Please keep in mind that we are an international organization, so what makes sense to one poster may confuse another. Do not be afraid to ask for clarification on the meaning of a statement. You will open the doors of communication, and you may learn something and or make a friend!

ETA:

Apparently I'm a big freaking dork, and although I had gone in search of a glossary of some type repeatedly, and having found nothing I put together something that was already in existence. Sorry.

ETAii: Fixed wording to reflect measuring a ponytail is done by measuring the circumference, not as previously stated, the diameter.

Ivy~Rose
August 31st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Fantastic job!! :thumbsup: I was looking for this when I joined - finally, here it is :)

Gumball
August 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Just in case, we also have a good amount of that information in the Very Important Threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573) sticky that is on the top of the different portions of the forum. They link to:

Article on Terms and Abbreviations (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10)

Hair Classification System (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954) (hair typing)

Hair Lengths Guide (http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif) (external link)

christine1989
September 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
Great thread! I have been wondering what OCM meant for a while now.

Esya
September 1st, 2010, 01:51 AM
oh, I'd just added this to my fav.s :) THANK YOU!

bte
September 1st, 2010, 03:59 AM
Thank you - very useful - although most of this info is available elsewhere in this site, there is so much here that not everything is easy to find.

frost pattern
September 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks a lot! I've been looking for that kind of overview for some time, didn't find anything (maybe I was blind) and finally figured out some if the terms. This is much better and will save me a lot of time!

OtiggerificO
September 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Cheers muchly for this :)

It's nice to have all the abbreviations in one place.

Sammich
September 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Woot woot, thank you for this. I love all this info in one place, and put in very simple wording too!
Thumbs up to you! :D

eezepeeze
September 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Can somebody post a thread that explains all the acronyms for the different supplements and what they're supposed to do for you? Often, people will say they are taking XYZ and I have no idea what it is.

dreamsofnorns
September 5th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks so much for this thread! It is exactly what i was looking for! I just joined a few days ago and was having some trouble figuring out some of the abbreviations. This is such an awesome list!

junglenavaar
July 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM
ahHH! no longer confused at what ppl r talking abt!! thanks

Leeloo
July 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thank you! I keep searching google for the meanings :)

fairview
July 10th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Would be a great Sticky.

I had all the lengths figured out except APL.

Crimgirl
February 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you for this! I have been searching like crazy. Much appreciated!

walterSCAN
February 7th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Would be a great Sticky.

I had all the lengths figured out except APL.

I wondered why this thread wasn't sticky already when I saw it pop up again...

evelynmosby
May 3rd, 2014, 11:09 AM
Thank you, I've been reading the forum for few days now, and joined a couple days ago and this is very useful! :)

Tall Blond(ish)
May 3rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
Would be a great Sticky.

Technically, it is stickied as it is included within the "Index to Important Threads" Sticky.

allesok
July 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the great post! I'm so happy to finally know what all the acronyms stand for! BSL was driving me crazy, lol. I just couldn't figure it out on my own.

Johannah
July 14th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Yes, love this! I've researched stuff like DH so much in the past, I never totally got that :p

amino
August 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Can I mention that the hair typing actually uses circumfrence (length around the ponytail), instead of diameter, which is the straight part of a semicircle, and is almost impossible to measure in hair?

Otherwise, great guide! Thank you.

amino
August 3rd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Double post, sorry.

Red'N'Curly
August 22nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks so much for this! I'm new and it is pretty overwhelming. I'm especially grateful that you defined "BS" ;)

PrincessBob
August 22nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Can I mention that the hair typing actually uses circumfrence (length around the ponytail), instead of diameter, which is the straight part of a semicircle, and is almost impossible to measure in hair?

Otherwise, great guide! Thank you.
:oops: Thanks amino! Related words are often mistakenly substituted by me. I fixed it!

Manja Sanders
September 30th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Thanks for this, I'm new to the site, and this helps immensely.
Cheers! 😀

Knifegill
September 30th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Don't forget to define BHL. But you do it, I don't want to soil my name.

gustavonut
September 30th, 2014, 08:49 PM
YES thank youuuu

Illryeth
April 22nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you so much, this helps a lot!

Spun gold
May 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the glossary of terms. I've only joined the community today and I think a few basics are going to help me out!
!

Doreen
May 2nd, 2015, 02:40 AM
Thanks for making this! I also want to say that sometimes SO can mean Significant Other, to go under the family/relationships part of the guide! I only mention because it took me a bit to figure that one out.

MoreAutumnForMe
August 20th, 2015, 03:52 AM
I don't know what BCL means. I gather that it's somewhere between HL and TBL??
:bowtome:

missrandie
August 20th, 2015, 04:29 AM
It is the very top of your gluteal cleft (butt crack).

MoreAutumnForMe
August 20th, 2015, 04:32 AM
Now I know!!
Thank you missrandie :P

missrandie
August 20th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Now I know!!
Thank you missrandie :P

And knowing is half the battle!! You are welcome :)

SparrowWings
February 29th, 2016, 08:45 PM
What is the difference between fairytale ends and taper/uneven ends? Perception?

As best I can tell, scritching is a gentle, non-damaging form of scratching. How does preening compare?

ETA:
Also, is there a handy listing of hair toy types somewhere? What is a tusk as compared to a fork? Or a paua versus a stick?

neelgagan16
March 30th, 2016, 11:02 AM
S&D was something i could never figure out. thanks!

Garnetgem
April 4th, 2016, 06:15 PM
S&D was something i could never figure out. thanks!

I used to do S&D years ago before i knew what it was called,i joined here and that's the first i heard of it being called anything!

MariaPon
May 4th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Ah! Been looking for this post for some time now. Thank you very much! Couldn't figure out some of the hair length abbreviations :)

Lavendersugar
May 9th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I don't know what BCL means. I gather that it's somewhere between HL and TBL??
:bowtome:

It is the very top of your gluteal cleft (butt crack).

Oh... I was considering that my tailbone
:doh:

blondebear
June 2nd, 2016, 05:34 PM
This makes more sense. Also per SparrowWings, is there a link for hair toy names? very confusing.

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2016, 10:08 PM
This makes more sense. Also per SparrowWings, is there a link for hair toy names? very confusing.

There are tons of hair toys lol

This may help Links to popular product threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120055)

Welcome ~ happy growing :cheer:

Beachbabydara
June 29th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Thank you very much for this glossary! I am new here and it helps to know some abbreviations at the start. I love the S&D technique, perhaps a little too much. I find that I am a bit obsessive about snipping off the little split ends currently. My DH even mentioned my new habit. :o

truepeacenik
June 29th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Comments in bold.

What is the difference between fairytale ends and taper/uneven ends? Perception?

Fairytale ends are the natural, uncut ends of the hair. Taper is thinning of the overall hair (not each individual hair)

As best I can tell, scritching is a gentle, non-damaging form of scratching. How does preening compare?
Preening is what you do with the stuff you scritch up.

ETA:
Also, is there a handy listing of hair toy types somewhere? What is a tusk as compared to a fork? Or a paua versus a stick?
Fork is two or more tines, usually up to six or so. Beyond can be called a haircomb. Paua is a shell material used by some stick makers. A stick is exactly that. A (usually) pretty stick. That you stick in your updo. It's common for a stick to be defined by its materials: acrylic stick, ebony, holly, maple; or sometimes the decoration: paua shell, abalone shell, inlaid.

Garnetgem
June 30th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Thank you very much for this glossary! I am new here and it helps to know some abbreviations at the start. I love the S&D technique, perhaps a little too much. I find that I am a bit obsessive about snipping off the little split ends currently. My DH even mentioned my new habit. :o

Yeah isn't S&D addictive we can snip away for ages and get lost in time! since i joined here this is my new habit :)

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I'm surprised at all the acronyms for hair lengths. Before I came here it was short, medium and long.

sumirechan
August 1st, 2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks for this! I subscribed to this thread, so I can be guided accordingly. :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 7th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Thank you. I have been trying to figure out who is OP sometimes mentioned in a thread. Now I got it

JustRosy
May 16th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Thank you, this helps so much!

EssentialJo
May 16th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks for this! I thought ETA meant 'Edit to Above', lol

_anya
June 2nd, 2017, 10:42 AM
Thanks for this info! Very useful to a n00b like me! :happydance:

bparnell75
June 5th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I've been seeing BCL for a while now. I do not see it on the listing of Abbreviations.
Could it mean Butt Cheek Length? If so that is my hair goal and I am soooooooo close.
Maybe another 3 months. Definitely by Christmas, if I do not loose all my fairy tail ends.
I want it to touch the chair seat when I sit, but not have to sit on it.

TatsuOni
June 6th, 2017, 02:43 AM
I've been seeing BCL for a while now. I do not see it on the listing of Abbreviations.
Could it mean Butt Cheek Length? If so that is my hair goal and I am soooooooo close.
Maybe another 3 months. Definitely by Christmas, if I do not loose all my fairy tail ends.
I want it to touch the chair seat when I sit, but not have to sit on it.

It means but crack lenght :)

Wannabenymph
June 24th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Thank you that was very useful :)

snowstorm
July 21st, 2017, 08:33 AM
Thank you, this really helped me figure out my accurate hair type, and the descriptions of a lot of the acronyms I wasn't sure of.

_anya
September 26th, 2017, 07:11 PM
(Continued)
We love our body parts on LHC, they give us definable locales for hair without a measuring tape. These are less universal measurements because everybody is built in different shapes and sizes, but give everybody a pretty accurate visual. Hair typing is handy to find people dealing with similar hair and allows us to imagine what they have even if we can’t see the most up-to-date pictures. Some measuring systems are more inexact than others.

Long Hair: What counts as Long Hair varies in the minds of the people. Face it—if you consider it long, someone else will probably agree and some others might disagree. Hair type also makes a difference, thick or curlier hair may appear shorter when dry and longer when wet.
Long Hair: A person with long hair, self identifying notion.
Long-ish: As with Long Hair, personal definitions vary. Arbitrarily I will say from Shoulder to Bra-Strap Length.
Short hair: As inexact as Long Hair. Arbitrarily above the shoulders. Could be styled as a bob, or any number of other styles.
Scalp: The skin from which your head’s hair grows.
Scalp Length: An amusing way of denoting baldness or shavedness of one’s head.
Ear Length: Short, maybe styled as an ultra short bob, pixie cut or a grown-out high and tight, or any number of other styles. The point is their ears are being brushed by their longer hairs, and nothing else really is.
Chin Length: Short, often a bob, but many other styles result in hair which, at its longer points, is even with the chin.
SL: Shoulder Length. Intro to what the world calls “long hair,” hair that brushes their shoulders and can often be styled and or pulled back in some way.
APL: Arm Pit Length. This indicates that your hair is below your sternum, and equal or longer than the point where your arms meet your body.
BSL: Bra-Strap Length: Your hair meets with the base of your bra as it wraps around your back. If you do not wear a Bra, consider it level with your diaphragm in the front. To find your diaphragm take off your shirt and look at your chest as you breathe in and out, then cough watch what happens. The bit that hops is your diagram.
WL: Waist Length. Your hair is somewhere mid-back where your middle dips in at its smallest, often around or a little above the location of your belly button on the front.
HL: Hip Length ETA: pretty self explanatory... I think.
TBL: Tail Bone Length Not all that different from hip length. I think of it as slightly longer, about mid-bottom.
Classic: Hair is level or longer than the point where your legs meet your tuchus/bum/ backside. You would sit on your hair if you sat straight down and or scooted back.
CICT: Can I call this _____? When a person is unsure if they qualify for a given hair length or hair type they may describe themselves using this question.

Hair typing: You can find plenty on this, all around, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to add.

Roman Numerals regarding the thickness of a person’s hair. When all hair is pulled into a ponytail the circumference (area around the outside of the bunched hair) is measured.
i: Less than 2 inches, or less than 5cm. Thin hair, but may be the result of fine hair, not necessarily sparse.
ii: 2”-4” circumference, or between 5 cm and 10 cm. Average or expected thickness for hair.
iii: 4” plus, or more than 10 cm. This is considered thick hair.

Number/letter combinations regarding the straightness/waviness/curliness of one’s hair.
1a: Stick straight
1b: Straight with some body and curve
1c: Straight that waves lightly.
2a: Soft waves
2b: S waves
2c: Swirly waves
3a: Soft curls
3b: Ringlets
3c: Wild curls
4a: Corkscrew curls
4b: Kinky tight curling hairs
4c: Kinky Z curls

Initials regarding the texture of one’s hair.
F: Fine. Soft, hard to see individual strands.
FM: Fine to medium. Still fairly hard to distinguish some strands.
M: Medium. Definite hair.
MC: Medium to Coarse Definite with some wiry strands mixed in.
C: Coarse. Wiry thick strands.

Please keep in mind that we are an international organization, so what makes sense to one poster may confuse another. Do not be afraid to ask for clarification on the meaning of a statement. You will open the doors of communication, and you may learn something and or make a friend!

ETA:

Apparently I'm a big freaking dork, and although I had gone in search of a glossary of some type repeatedly, and having found nothing I put together something that was already in existence. Sorry.

ETAii: Fixed wording to reflect measuring a ponytail is done by measuring the circumference, not as previously stated, the diameter.

Thanks for doing this! By the way, this would make a great sticky, especially for some of us with short-term memories (i.e.myself!).;)

Beeboo123
September 26th, 2017, 07:20 PM
What is the difference between BCL and TBL? Which is shorter?

mira-chan
September 26th, 2017, 08:10 PM
What is the difference between BCL and TBL? Which is shorter?

Varies on the person and how they define it. For some the BCL is shorter than TBL, for others it's the same. Also the TBL definition is variable to whether you measure at the top or bottom of the tailbone. For me BCL and top of TBL is the same, I'm maintaining at bottom of TBL range length.

Conflizzled
June 27th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Really helpful list! Thank you!

BugBear
August 8th, 2018, 06:02 PM
This really helped! Thank you!

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 04:31 PM
This really helped! Thank you!

Yeah, I know it can be a little confusing when you first get here. :flower: But the info is out there. ;)

r3d
September 9th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I was about to post in the "new" section asking for a breakdown of the terminologies used, but then saw this sticky thread...PERFECT :D

Vacurlylady
September 16th, 2018, 08:44 AM
This is such a big help. I think my hair is 3A/3B and cannot wait til it’s longer. I’m staying on here so that I stay the course. 😃

Helenoftroy
October 10th, 2018, 08:28 AM
What does WTC stand for? Regarding hair of course!

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2018, 02:13 PM
What does WTC stand for? Regarding hair of course!

Wide-toothed comb :)

Helyanwee7
December 5th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I've seen people talk about BCL regarding length, what is it?
Thanks 😊

TatsuOni
December 5th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I've seen people talk about BCL regarding length, what is it?
Thanks ��

Butt crack length.

Helyanwee7
December 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Haha what an elegant term! I was thinking more of 'back curve length' or something like that. But, well, 'butt crack' is quite clearer!
Thank you for your answer.

LittleHealthy
December 20th, 2018, 12:28 AM
So I’ve just skimmed the thread, but what is SSS? It’s something to do with measurements or...?

Rosy blossom
January 5th, 2019, 02:39 AM
I'm still a little confused. What is MO rinse and WCC. I'm guessing the WCC is maybe wash and then condition twice but not sure if that's correct. Still not sure about MO maybe Moroccan oil or something lol I'm so bad at guessing stuff. If there was ever a quiz at LHC jargons I'd fail miserably 🤣😂

MusicalSpoons
January 5th, 2019, 08:24 AM
So I’ve just skimmed the thread, but what is SSS? It’s something to do with measurements or...?

SSS is used on the German forum, Langhaarnetzwerk, and stands for Stirn-Scheitel-Spitzen - forehead-crown-tips/ends. It is the measurement of your hair, the usual way we do here (start at the hairline, over the top of the head and down the back along the length of your hair).

I'm still a little confused. What is MO rinse and WCC. I'm guessing the WCC is maybe wash and then condition twice but not sure if that's correct. Still not sure about MO maybe Moroccan oil or something lol I'm so bad at guessing stuff. If there was ever a quiz at LHC jargons I'd fail miserably ����

I think MO is mineral oil, and yup WCC is wash condition condition :)

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 09:38 AM
If you're wondering about more in depth info on WCC or ROO, the informational links are in my signature, Rosy blossom.

Rosy blossom
January 5th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Musicalspoons Thank you! 😁

If you're wondering about more in depth info on WCC or ROO, the informational links are in my signature, Rosy blossom.

Oh thank you very much!

daisy rei
January 5th, 2019, 12:19 PM

So I thought SSS was an abbreviation only used on LHN (LangHaarNetzwerk, the German version of LHC) and that's what they call what we call the George Michael method of measuring your hair from the top of your forehead.

Sam B
July 27th, 2019, 12:36 AM
Thank you! Most grateful for this list 💖💖💖

neko_kawaii
November 22nd, 2019, 10:03 AM
It occurs to me that this list may need to be updated. Take a look and post if you think of anything that is not listed and I'll update. Thanks!

lapushka
November 23rd, 2019, 03:02 PM
It occurs to me that this list may need to be updated. Take a look and post if you think of anything that is not listed and I'll update. Thanks!

I think we'd already mentioned some things, like WCC, ROO, right above your post, neko_kawaii. :)

neko_kawaii
November 26th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Thanks! I didn't read the thread but used the Reply button above the OP.

scaredofspiders
February 20th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I just wanted to add my thanks to everyone else's. I had unsuccessfully searched for a list like this one when I just needed to check the "start here"!

reedtra
January 6th, 2024, 03:23 PM
oh yeah - I needed this thread. Thanks.