PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep my hair healthy

ldc441
August 31st, 2010, 06:53 PM
When I have been growing it out for 3 years now I am at APL then I cut it to my collar bone because it was coverd with dead ends now I want to know how to prevent them from not Being as bad as they were before so I need help

Coriander
August 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
There are so many threads about split ends, how to perform a "search and destroy (S&D)", what types of serums/conditioners/oils might be beneficial, that it would be difficult to tell what might work best for you.

Under the "Search" button at the top of the page, there is an option for searching thread titles. I received a lot of results by typing in "Split ends" into the field.

Several people may suggest letting them go. Others might S&D. Others yet might have trims. Others may use oils or conditioner-only washing in order to keep their ends softer. Some people use aloe gel.

I wish you the best in finding what works for you. It took me awhile to figure that I need to S&D at least once a month, and wear my hair up as much as possible.

little_cherry
August 31st, 2010, 07:03 PM
There are many things you can do such as wearing your hair up in protective hair styles, oiling, deep treatments.

What is your routine now?

ldc441
August 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
My new routine is shampoo everyday and condition every other day

torrilin
August 31st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Any heat used?

And why did you decide on washing daily, but conditioning every other day? That's pretty much the opposite of what I've done most of the time, so it sounds pretty strange to me.

JenniferNoel
August 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Your routine may be a bit on the drying side. I wash every several days and condition every time, with deep oil treatments in between. I usually keep my hair oiled and in a bun/twist, and have no trouble with split ends. There are some people that can't condition/oil as often because their hair gets unacceptably greasy.
Can I ask you, do you use a shampoo or conditioner with silicone ingredients in it? (any ingredient listed ending in cone pretty much) Do you use a shampoo with SLS?
Could you be feeling the need to shampoo more often because of a silicone buildup, i.e. limp, shapeless, flat hair every other day?
Hmm...

ldc441
August 31st, 2010, 10:14 PM
My new routine is shampoo everyday and condition every other day

sunrain
August 31st, 2010, 11:38 PM
I notice you are a pretty new member. It would probably be a good idea for you to read this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) on basic hair care in order to compare your current routine and see where you stand. If you have more questions after, people here are very willing to share their knowledge!

If anything, I would suggest conditioning every day and shampooing every other day (there is a lot of info on washing your hair using only conditioner, if you look around). It sounds like you are drying out your hair with all the shampooing. Which shampoo and conditioner are you using? If you are using products with silicone in it, it would be a good idea to try apple cider vinegar washes, or a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. Just how often would depend on your hair. Also, it might be better for your scalp if you didn't wash your hair every single day. It may take a while for you scalp to adjust to the stretches between washings, but it's usually worth it.

As mentioned above, do you use heat on your hair? Hair dryers, curling irons, and flatirons all damage your hair by boiling the moisture out of hair. Either way, it sounds like you really need to moisturize your hair more than anything else. Oil treatments might be your best bet in this area. SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) tends to be really effective for moisturizing.

I notice you are a pretty new member. It would probably be a good idea for you to read this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) on basic hair care in order to compare your current routine and see where you stand. If you have more questions after, people here are very willing to share their knowledge!

If anything, I would suggest conditioning every day and shampooing every other day (there is a lot of info on washing your hair using only conditioner, if you look around). It sounds like you are drying out your hair with all the shampooing. Which shampoo and conditioner are you using? If you are using products with silicone in it, it would be a good idea to try apple cider vinegar washes, or a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. Just how often would depend on your hair. Also, it might be better for your scalp if you didn't wash your hair every single day. It may take a while for you scalp to adjust to the stretches between washings, but it's usually worth it.

As mentioned above, do you use heat on your hair? Hair dryers, curling irons, and flatirons all damage your hair by boiling the moisture out of hair. Either way, it sounds like you really need to moisturize your hair more than anything else. Oil treatments might be your best bet in this area. SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) tends to be really effective for moisturizing.

ldc441
August 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
I never use heat in my hair

little_cherry
August 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Your routine may be a bit on the drying side. I wash every several days and condition every time, with deep oil treatments in between. I usually keep my hair oiled and in a bun/twist, and have no trouble with split ends. There are some people that can't condition/oil as often because their hair gets unacceptably greasy.
Can I ask you, do you use a shampoo or conditioner with silicone ingredients in it? (any ingredient listed ending in cone pretty much) Do you use a shampoo with SLS?
Could you be feeling the need to shampoo more often because of a silicone buildup, i.e. limp, shapeless, flat hair every other day?
Hmm...

I agree and am asking the same questions... SLS is sulfates...any ingredient with the word 'sulfate' in it is generally a harsh cleanser and will strip the hair of its protective oils that help your hair stay moisturized and split free. I use these cleansers once every 2 weeks as a clarifying wash and all other times I use conditioner without '-cones' (dimethicone, etc) in them to wash my hair with. Every 2 weeks, I use a conditioner with cones in it....no more than that.

Yes, cone free conditioner is amazing at cleaning the hair. :)

Our length is very very close...I oil my wet hair to keep it moisturised. The more I take care of my hair now, the better it will be when it reaches classic length and beyond.