PDA

View Full Version : ? about cone-free and static

white line
August 31st, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've tried a board search but couldn't find anything directly related to this. About 3 months ago I decided to try going cone-free, I have been doing CWC. Ever since then, I have been struggling with static. I don't remember the last time I had to deal with this, even through dry winters. I have clarified. I use a detangler that I make with a cone-free conditioner. I use aloe gel and I air-dry. Using oils help, but once they are absorbed, I have static again. I really would like to figure this out before winter gets here and we have the furnaces running. What am I doing wrong? Is there a leave-in or detangler you guys recommend? I use V05 s/c and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. Should I just give up and go back to cones?

Kristin
August 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
I went cone-free a couple months ago, too. Oil and butter (cocoa, shea) help. I really like NB's Vegan panacea salve. I CO and only shampoo once a week. Maybe the shampoo is drying your hair?

FrannyG
August 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have had the opposite experience. I was cone-free for two years and didn't have any static at all during that time. About two years ago, I started using cones again from the ears down and noticed that the static came back.

I might suggest that you give your hair a really good moisturizing treatment such as an SMT and see if that improves the situation. I always find that the more moisturized I keep my hair, the less staticky it is.

I hope that you find a solution.

Giggy2
August 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Coconut oil actually causes static for me. I love how soft it makes my hair so when I use it I braid it back. I'm also doing CO (VO5) and have noticed more static than usual. I'm going to carry a small spray bottle of water with a dab of conditioner in it to see how well that works. It could weigh down my hair though since it's so fine.

Good luck and thanks for posting. I'm interested in other ideas too!

white line
August 31st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Coconut oil actually causes static for me. I love how soft it makes my hair so when I use it I braid it back. I'm also doing CO (VO5) and have noticed more static than usual. I'm going to carry a small spray bottle of water with a dab of conditioner in it to see how well that works. It could weigh down my hair though since it's so fine.

Good luck and thanks for posting. I'm interested in other ideas too!
Oh that's interesting. I put coconut oil in my hair today and have static again. I'll have to pay closer attention to that. Next week I will try no coconut oil at all and see if that makes a difference.

trinc
September 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
I had the same experience in the winter. now in summer it's ok, because the air is not so dry.

I bought a blowdrier with ionic function - it's said to help with the static ( and it has cold option, so I don't need to use hot!). But I can't report how it works yet, because in summer I don't have static problem.

I also started hennaing with Lush Caca Brun, and I think (hope) that this helps a lot with static thing as well.

torrilin
September 1st, 2010, 06:30 AM
Snap crackle static, or just your hair sticks to everything? Mine does both, pretty much year round.

For actual electric charge... my hair likes the air around it to be over 85% humidity, but not thunderstorming. Raining but not an electrical storm is fine. Otherwise, if I handle it when it has dried out from a bath or shower, it's likely to build up electrical charge. So I handle it as little as possible.

For the sticks to everything... it's not static. It's just the way some hair acts. Silicones don't help, since it's still perfectly happy to glue itself to whatever. Cone-free doesn't help... still tries to be glue. More conditioner doesn't help. Less conditioner, ditto. It's more excitable about this when it is wet, but it's still happy to be velcro when it's dry... despite having a silky texture. The one thing I know that makes it *stop* doing this is damage. Damage makes it velcro to itself and ignore the outside world...

For both, the cure is simple. Handle it as little as I can, and stuff it into an updo while it is wet.

white line
September 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM
[quote=torrilin;1237748]Snap crackle static, or just your hair sticks to everything?

lol, yeah I'm talking about snap, crackle, bottom half of hair sticking straight out rubbed hair with balloon kind of static

Alvrodul
September 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
I have always been plagued with static in my hair. No wonder, it is very fine and light.
I have been much less plagued with it after I started oiling it - but that may partly be the season, since I only started with that this summer. For the real test of static, I have to wait for winter!

torrilin
September 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
lol, yeah I'm talking about snap, crackle, bottom half of hair sticking straight out rubbed hair with balloon kind of static

Well... If my hair is dry it probably likes the balloon without the snap crackle :o

white line
September 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Giggy2-May be on to something with the coconut oil suggestion. I did not wash my hair today but instead of coconut oil I used a different oil that I used to use and have no static. When I think back a couple days, I did not have static on wash day or couple days after til I added the coconut oil. Is is possible that coconut oil could actually dry my hair? My hair does feel better and more like what I'm used to. Will give it a full test next week after I wash but may have to cross coconut oil off the list.