PDA

View Full Version : Who else has a habit of playing with their ends?

irishlady
August 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hey all.

I just thought of this now, when I found myself fiddling with the ends of my braids (I'm wearing my hair in 2 braids right now to sleep).

I always play with the ends of my hair, twirling them in my fingers and pulling on them, whether my hair's in a ponytail, loose, in a braid or even a bun (I'll loosen a piece of hair just to play with it).

lol does anyone else do this?

Sorry if this is on the wrong discussion board, wasn't sure...

TrudieCat
August 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I do! When my hair is in a bun, I play with the shorter hairs along my temples and forehead. Haha, I'm doing it right now. Didn't notice I was doing it just now until I read this thread. :)

JenniferNoel
August 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
This was one of the worst habits to break for me. :rolleyes: It took me a couple months. Every time I found myself picking at the ends of my braids I had to yell at myself in my head. But you're definitely not the only one who does that.

MissManda
August 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I play with my ends, too. I usually try to comb my braid tassel to make it all smooth and I also like to twirl them. I know this isn't a good habit, but I am finding that S&D on my ends helps me cope with the urge to play with my hair and improves my ends. Hee hee. :D

RachelRain
August 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I do if my hair is wet, because the ends keep frizzing out and I hate that.

Fairlight63
August 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I do that also. I put my braids in a crown braid so that I will leave them alone.
If I have it down I will also run my fingers through my hair pulling out the loose hairs, so I try to keep it up so I will not do that bad habit.

christine1989
August 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have a habit of twisting my ends around (not the rest of my hair, just the ends). I also look intenty at them and search them for split ends despite the fact that I can't find anything but taipers.

lpsqt60
August 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I do that too with the tassels of my braids, especially when I'm bored, I also love the way my tassels look all curled up :eyebrows:

TinaDenali
August 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Oh, geez, I always do this! I've always done this. I used to CHEW on my ends as a child. Gah.

ArienEllariel
August 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I do this a lot. If my hair is loose, I am always fiddling with a strand near the front of my face. Always. If I have it in 2 braids, I'm fiddling with the tassels. If I pin the braids up (i.e. heidi braids), I'm messing with my center part... I have absolutely no idea why I do that.. I'm just always touching my hair. It's a nervous habit of mine I guess. I'd rather do that then chew my fingernails, which I used to do. I S & D which seems to help my ends and somehow I find S & D to be rather soothing and relaxing.

RitaPG
August 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I used to bite my hair when I was what... 10, maybe 12. Not just holding it with my mouth, but actually chewing on it. Don't do any of that anymore.

ArienEllariel
August 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, don't get me started.. I used to suck on my hair when I was younger. Now I think back and wonder how I could do that.. especially since I used to use detangling spray on it way back when... I cringe at the chemicals I was probably swallowing.

rapunzelna
August 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, i find myself sometimes sucking on the ends (ok, i know it's gross), when i braid it. So I hardly braid my hair anymore.

estherbeth
August 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes! When I wear my hair in a braid, I constantly play with the tassel, weaving it between my fingers, curling it around one, just running the tassle between them, etc. But I've always had a habit of putting nice-feeling things between my fingers. When I was little, I slept with my pillowcase hem woven between my fingers and called it 'fiddling'. Usually now it's just my shirt hem when I'm nervous. :redgrin:

Masara
August 31st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I do this when my hair is down or in a braid. My mumcame to the conclusion that since I no longer have a teddy bear, I use my hair as a replacement. She may be right. It's one of the reasons that I usually have my hair in a bun of some sort.

luxepiggy
August 31st, 2010, 04:27 AM
I just like to gather up the ends when I'm wearing my hair down and run them across my palm - it feels so nice and soft, just like those brushes for loose powder or blush, only without the inconvenient cosmetics to make a mess

(^(oo)^)v

cindy58
August 31st, 2010, 05:32 AM
I do sometimes if my hair is in a braid.

Henrietta
August 31st, 2010, 06:51 AM
I do. That's why I cannot wear braids. I have to have my hair literelly UP. Otherwise I am still looking at my ends, I am twisting them... which cause more damage of course.

tinti
August 31st, 2010, 07:38 AM
I find myself curling my ends around my finger when I'm bored.

ravensinger13
August 31st, 2010, 07:45 AM
I constantly play with the ends when my hair is braided. Thus the reason I don't do it very often or bun the braid when I'm done. I just can't seem to help myself when I can see it, I must touch it.

Jenn of Pence
August 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
My ends are a bit velcro-y, so I am constantly running my fingers through the ends to see if they've magically become softer. This probably isn't helping matters. ;)

Joliebaby
August 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM
I don't do it if my hair is in a bun, but if it's down I'll do the twirling and smoothing, also sometimes on the braid end. I don't think it's such a terrible habit, and I don't do it all the time (I have a toddler to keep my hands busy elsewhere!)

ETA:

I just like to gather up the ends when I'm wearing my hair down and run them across my palm - it feels so nice and soft, just like those brushes for loose powder or blush, only without the inconvenient cosmetics to make a mess

(^(oo)^)v

I do this too :D

Mexibeach
August 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
OH!! I used to.....

lajsa
August 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM
I play with my hair... a bit :p Even when I have a bun or something, I like to finger it a bit. If it's some sort of cool intricate bun (eh, not that I can do those yet, but whenever I learned a cool new bun I suppose) then I like to feel it beneath my fingers, to sort of admire how nice my hair feels if I get it right. When I had a sock bun yesterday, I was touching it all the time to "control the sock was covered" (excuses, excuses ;)). I really just like touching my hair.

sipp10
August 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't play with them, but I'm constantly holding them up to light (TV, PC screen) to see any splits I can S&D.

charalito
August 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM
I play with my hair... a bit :p Even when I have a bun or something, I like to finger it a bit. If it's some sort of cool intricate bun (eh, not that I can do those yet, but whenever I learned a cool new bun I suppose) then I like to feel it beneath my fingers, to sort of admire how nice my hair feels if I get it right. When I had a sock bun yesterday, I was touching it all the time to "control the sock was covered" (excuses, excuses ;)). I really just like touching my hair.

That's me to! I find a way to play with braids, buns, ponytails and when I'm wearing my hair down. To stop that behavior, I started wearing necklaces or bracelets I can fidget and prevent damaging my locks.

Pierre
August 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I do it all the time. I design my updos so that there's just enough loose to stroke my cheek and sniff the end. If I have my hair totally up, I reach behind and feel it.

krn2891
August 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
I play with my ends all the time. Which is why I have started bunning it most of the time. if its down I play with the ends. I just keep rebraiding the ends over and over again. Not the best thing for them since they are so old.

Armelle
August 31st, 2010, 08:10 PM
ALL the time. It makes my hair look ratty, but I can't seem to stop. I don't even notice when I do it!

Wanderer09
August 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I pet my braid tassel all the time. It gives me something to do with my hands.

Ylesque
September 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I do! If my hair is down, I'm always finger-combing, playing with the ends, or twisting strands. Even if my hair is up, any shorter strands that slip out will invariably end up between my fingers. :oops:
I haven't noticed any increase in splits or damage from my doing so, but it does make my hair get greasier faster, and it's just generally a bad habit, so I try to keep my hair up and out of reach most of the time.

TinaDenali
September 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I just remembered that I had a lady yell at me at one of my previous jobs about this.

I used to always play with my ends when I was talking with people and one day she grabbed my hands and yanked them down and practically yelled, "STOP IT!" right in my face. I was completely caught off guard. She then immediately said, "I'm sorry. But that is just SO annoying!" I was shocked. I told her I did it to help spread the natural oils to my ends because they were (at the time) very dry and damaged. She said something along the lines of, "Well, just don't do it around me. It's really irritating." She was a pretty crazy lady.

chelseamichelle
September 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Oh I do! I never braid my hair because if i do then I can't leave the tassels alone! So it's always up, but even then, I still play with my bangs.. haha

jackiesjottings
September 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Oh yes! I finger comb my hair when it is loose and fiddle with the end when it is in a braid! When it is up I fiddle with my fringe instead. *sits on hands*

Suze334
September 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I pet my braid tassle like a security blanky.

virgo75
September 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I play with all of my hair all day.
It's an obsession.

I can't stop putting it up and taking it down when it's wet. I keep checking to see if it's dry yet(it takes hours to air dry) and then redoing it so that the areas that are wet can get air. What's worse is that I wash every day. I need to learn to cut down on both I think(the washing and the playing). Maybe if I wash less often I'll leave it alone a little more?

bumblebums
September 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I do this, even though I try not to. That's why I usually try to wear my hair in a bun.

Aquamarine
September 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Me!! Me!! If I'm wearing my hair loose or in a braid, I tend to pick up the braid tassel and play with it. I curl it around my fingers, sometimes tickle my friends:p Or I just run my fingers through it. I know it's not good for the ends but hey, I do it anyway :shrug: This is one of the reasons why I wear my hair up 99% of the time. Keeps my ends healthy.