PDA

View Full Version : The longest you've gone between trims is......

whiteisle
August 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM
___________? What's the biggest gap of time between trims for you and how much length did you gain in that time period?

(can you tell my patience level is getting ever lower?) :p

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 06:46 PM
This time, 16 months and counting...

Eire
August 30th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I haven't had my hair trimmed since last December, but I feel like my ends are getting a bit scraggly. Might need a trim soon. I'm not sure exactly how long my hair has grown, but I've surely gained quite a lot more length than when I trimmed more regularly (and my hair got progressively SHORTER)... for some reason hair stylists seem to have difficulties in understanding the concept of "1/2 an inch" lol. They almost always turned that request into 1-2 inches off.

sweetee810
August 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
My longest has been 12 months without a trim. I gained 8in, but couldn't hold out any longer. And had my stylist cut 4 inches off. Now i'm back to holding out again at least for another 2 months.

christine1989
August 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
As of right now I have gone one year and three months without any trims (which is the longest I have ever gone) and I have gained about 12 inches in that time. Granted, my hair is not prone to splits so if your hair damages eaisly then I don't reccomend going too long without a trim.

AstrayStar
August 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think I went about 2 years, not sure exactly, wasn't paying as much attention to details then :)

I am currently at almost 16 months right now

Rennire
August 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't cut my hair (other than the the odd S&D) since May 2008. It was at AP length then and it is at Hip now. My ends are tapered but it doesn't bother me because I wear it up most of the time.

JenniferNoel
August 30th, 2010, 07:09 PM
About six months. I wear my hair down a lot and my ends get a little ratty fast and I can not stand an imperfect hemline at a length above waist. After waist, I like to let it fairytale.

Kristin
August 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM
18 months. I'm not sure how long it was back then...maybe between shoulder and APL? I'm almost waist now (some ends are at waist, but not enough for me to consider it "official").

Carrie Ingalls
August 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I don't know exactly the longest I've gone between trims, because for years I really didn't care. When I was growing up I would go a couple years until I happened to think of getting a trim. Trims were never more than about 2.5 inches. I don't really know how much I length I gained, due to not really caring/paying attention.

I trim "a lot" more now that I am maintaining at ankle length. I trim new growth, about 3" every 6-7 months. I agree that wearing your hair up helps with not really minding tapper. Once you reach the length you are going for you can trim more to maintain and the ends should thicken up nicely. :)

MissManda
August 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Two years. I went from a chin-length bob (gack!) to BSL that might have been brushing on waist. I can't be sure, though because that was a time I'd rather not remember.

TinaDenali
August 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
The longest I went was two years, also. I did a few 'dustings' because I started out with an angled bob that was at chin and once it grew past my shoulders it looked really weird. But, I went from chin to waist in two years and just this week actually did a full 'cut'. I cut my layers because they were getting super scraggly. The hair at my nape, however, is original and hasn't been cut in those two years at all.

LaurelSpring
August 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM
8 months. I dont remember how much I gained. I cut off my taper and was very upset with myself. I have been doing 3 month dustings since then but this time Im going for another long haul. My ends really start to taper after awhile but Im not going to make that mistake again.

forty-two
August 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
It's been 7 years and I've gone from waist to upper calf.

ArienEllariel
August 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
9 months to a year and believe me, it wasn't pretty. Of course, you have to take into account that this was well before I started taking proper care of my hair.

Hotrox
August 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I will be 3 months in 3 day!! And this thread is making me feel so much better :D

It's the longest I can remember ever not having a trim. I was a half inch every 8 weeks kinda gal, and it is a hard habit to break. But I have decided on a minimum of 6 months before the next trim.

SilvraShadows
August 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The longest I have ever gone without a trim was for 18 months, with exception to teeny dustings... by that I mean itty bitty trims, just the racers, as a friend of mine calls them. And I went from bsl to hip length.

After my upcoming trim in a month or so, I plan to try at least for another 12 months of no trimming. I think I am ready to let it go unchecked for awhile and see what comes of it.

estherbeth
August 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Not counting my own dusting, my last trim by a 'professional' was abooout eight years ago plus a few months, I think.

estherbeth
August 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Oops! Forgot to note how much I grew. My hair was at my waist before the so-called trim, an inch or so past my shoulders after it. And it's pretty low on my tailbone now. I'm not sure if that makes me a slow grower or average?

wimsey
August 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I usually trim every year in August to commemorate my LHC anniversary. This year, I didn't need it. Ends are still nice. :) So...a little over a year.

Angeletti
August 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Right around four years. I gave myself a small self trim a couple months ago and that has been it. As soon as I hit goal though I will be trimming every month to thicken up my hemline.

eternallyverdan
August 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM
The longest I've ever gone was about 5 years, but it didn't grow much because I was doing so much mechanical damage and I didn't know any updos. More recently I went without trimming for about 9 months and got from classic to knee, then trimmed again to thicken up my ends.

DecafJane
August 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
It was two years, and I went from pixie length to BSL.

Masara
August 31st, 2010, 12:22 AM
I tried a no trim year in 2009 and I gained 6 inches, but I really didn't like my ends. In a normal year, trimming every 3 months or so, I also gain about 6 inches but I feel happier about my ends.
When I say trims, it's less than half an inch and I do it at home.

julya
August 31st, 2010, 12:37 AM
I have gone about 3.5 years without a trim, and my ends were getting a bit rough feeling. I only need to trim about 2 inches. I think it went from about APL to close to classic during that time. It's been about 2.5 years since the last trim, and my ends still feel fine to me.

Dars
August 31st, 2010, 12:40 AM
1 year, don't measure. My hair still had a fair amount of damage then so I even though it got longer I decided to cut back lots to remove the damage.

motormuffin
August 31st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I cut mine last May. I was thinking to get it trimmed next month.

Joliebaby
August 31st, 2010, 02:57 AM
Well over a year, don't remember how long exactly.. right now it's been about 9 months I think and I have no plans on trimming my hair. I'm thinking after I reach waist I'll trim a little..
I wasn't measuring so I can't tell how much my hair grew.. But before I've had something like 8" inches in a year.

Phexlyn
August 31st, 2010, 03:30 AM
I guess the longest was between a year and a year and a half? I must have gained 6-8 inches during the time if it was around the same growth rate as now. I didn't measure my hair back then, and I've been trimming more often for some years now.

KittyLost
August 31st, 2010, 03:41 AM
6months! And I gained about 3inches, just the average unfortunately :(

growingmyhair
August 31st, 2010, 05:30 AM
5 years at least - I was growing out an ear level bob and I had BSL when wet and APL when dry (hair real curly) by the time I got a trim. it's not that my hair grows that slowly it's just I have small terminal length, now I realize I need to trim regularly to at least avoid TERRIBLE split ends I got from my 5 year break

Tennessee Rose
August 31st, 2010, 05:52 AM
The Maximum I think was a year and eight months I can't tell you how many inches I gained but it was more or less from shaved to almost shoulder lenght.

lesbia
August 31st, 2010, 05:56 AM
The biggest gap of time between trims for me is now...my last cut was in may 2009, one year and two mounths ago :) and I had 15 cm of growt...from bsl to waist :D

redneckprincess
August 31st, 2010, 06:03 AM
i went a year, that I can remember, but it must be true because my hair is longer now i believe then it ever has been

Henrietta
August 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
About a year. Because I wanted to gain length and because I was a bad girl and I didn't care about my hair's condition. All in all I didn't gain length because my ends was so dry thet they crumbled as a hell...

Cheeks1206
August 31st, 2010, 06:53 AM
It's been right around 21 months for me now and it will be another 7-ish months until I get a trim. Even then I might continue growing with no trims.

ETA: I've gone from a pixie cut to approximately BSL (when stretched).

Quahatundightu
August 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM
Haven't trimmed for a year!!! It's amazing for me to go that long :P I gained about 2 inches, which may not sound like much, but the previous year I didn't gain anything at all so it's a wonderful improvement :)

I'm not going to trim until I reach TB - only 2 inches more! I hope it won't take me another year :/

AgnesONutter
August 31st, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think 3 years. I cut my hair to shoulder length when in 9th grade, then didn't cut it until last year in upper secondary school. During that time I went from shoulder length to hipbone.

UltraBella
August 31st, 2010, 07:07 AM
The longest I have ever gone is 4 months, I used to trim every six weeks when I had my roots dyed. Now that I only have color foiled in, so there is my natural color as well, I can go longer. I would usually cut at least an inch or more off. I get a minimum of an inch growth every month and I was trying to maintain at waist. Now I am growing to tailbone. I have been growing since May and I am three inches away, but I had a two inch trim the beginning of July. Sounds counterproductive, but my hemline was slightly uneven and it was bugging me ;)

growing2shine
August 31st, 2010, 07:21 AM
It's really amazing how long people in here can go without trimming and still gain a lot of length and healthy hair.
Well the longets I have been without a trim was when I was very young and my mom only took me to the hairdresser when it got to long (BSL). Then it was cut back to a "long" bob. But between the cuts a year or two could pass.
Now when I really care about my hair the longest I have gone without a trim is six months. And in that time I have gained about 3".

Xi
August 31st, 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm not exactly sure... but I think my last trim was when I was 8 or so... so about 18 years. My hair has grown from earlength to near classic. I do S&D sporadically. I have a fairytale hemline; my ends are soft and smooth. My hair grows so slowly that it seemed pointless to lose length when I don't mind fairytale ends.:shrug:

bte
August 31st, 2010, 07:54 AM
16 years - see previous threads.

katze666
August 31st, 2010, 08:56 AM
I don´t cut my hair since december 2009

XcaliburGirl
August 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM
2 years. I think more than once. If I recall correctly, I went from about APL to about Classic.

ETA: not sure about that, it might have been longer now that I do the math. Like others have said, wasn't paying attention at the time.

kelly-j
August 31st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Last time I hade my hair cut was in September 2008!

Islandgrrl
August 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Five years ish, I guess. But it's not recently. It was before I cut it all off.

RachelRain
August 31st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Five years, and it went from shoulders to about five inches past classic. I'm pretty sure it wasn't quite midthigh yet, but it was probably pretty close. I'm still trying to get back there...

Had I been eating like a normal person, it probably would have grown much longer, but I ended up losing forty pounds that year and it was pretty obvious that everything else was suffering because of it. Good thing hair bounces back pretty easily. :)

Pixna
August 31st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Since January 2009, I believe.

spidermom
August 31st, 2010, 10:55 AM
As an adult, 1 year. Before that, I don't know.

My hair grew 7 inches in that year, but it wasn't worth it. I had so many split and dried out ends that I ended up keeping it the same length with several large trims for the following 9-12 months.

I'm not cutting it this year, however. I last got it trimmed in January and have been doing S&D to get rid of the most visible damage since then. I've been growing with a goal of classic length for 10 long years, and I intend to reach my goal this year, get pictures, then possibly cut to something shorter and easier to manage (maybe hip length with layers). Or who knows - set a new goal and grow toward that. It could go either way.

jel
August 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM
A little under 5 years. The result can be seen in my sig. I have S&Ded but only when I felt like it.

I have trimmed since, but only because I have reached my goal and am happy to maintain at tailbone.

constantki
August 31st, 2010, 11:21 AM
More than 3 years and counting! It started out as mostly laziness but now I just don't see a need to cut it. I do regular S&D so I don't have many splits.

Siava
August 31st, 2010, 11:36 AM
9 months. It'll be another 9 until the next one. :)

Peregrine
August 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM
That I know of? One year and I gained six inches before trimming. Now I'm starting a new no-trimming goal of two years.

torrilin
August 31st, 2010, 11:49 AM
___________? What's the biggest gap of time between trims for you and how much length did you gain in that time period?

(can you tell my patience level is getting ever lower?) :p

I don't do search and destroy missions. Hair is too fine and I'm already legally blind without my glasses. No need to encourage my eyeballs in their mad myopic rush.

I'll typically go something on the order of 6-9 months between trims. No idea on exact length gain since I don't measure my hair. 3 months is about long enough for me to go from APL to BSL, and if I haven't gone from touching shoulders to APL in 9 months, I'm probably not eating right. I don't really worry about whether the stylist chops off a half inch or two inches... I'm paying them to do something that is a huge pain for me, and I'm paying them for their expertise in judging where the split ends are causing problems. I'm also paying them to do a good really basic blunt cut.

The stint from touching shoulders to APL is unholy hell for me since I can't braid it and I can't put it in a ponytail and I am filled with rage. But I am sometimes dumb and cut my hair short anyway, usually due to being mean to my hair so that it acts like it has a case of demonic possession.

I'd guess it'd take me a couple years to get down to waist and have it look good and look like waist to other people. Definitely not something you can do in a hurry!

chelseamichelle
September 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
The longest I have ever gone without a trim is one year, I gained quite a bit of length during that time although I don't know the exact number of inches because I wasn't measuring back then.

I did have to get more cut off though, about three inches. Now that i'm taking care of my hair I think I can easily go more than a year. :)

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
The longest I can remember is 19 months, I think I reached BSL - which considering every cut I used to get took me back up to just above shoulder length, isn't bad. I might have gone longer as a child though, I can't remember.

Tiina
September 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Almost 7 months now and still no need to trim or cut (no splits or crunchiness). In that time it has gone from lower neck to APL. Maybe in a few months I will get rid of one or two inches to even out the layers. I had a heavily layered 'do before I seriously started growing and it's starting to look a little odd.

Stagecoach
September 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
For me the longest was 13 months and a couple weeks.

I gained about 6" of growth, BUT... my ends thinned a great deal. My slower hairs only grow about 3-4" a year so my ends were quite thin by the time I'd gone 3 years with only 3 trims.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
The longest I went without trimming my hair since I started caring about my hair is 10 months. Sadly, 10 months is too long for my fast-growing, straight, fine hair, and it needed more than just a trim after that 10 months.

I have to trim about 1/2 inch off every 3-4 months, or my ends thin out and look uneven.

Blueneko
September 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
9 months. My growth was about 6 inches in that time. It is difficult waiting before BSL. Now I don't care.

meerikal
September 7th, 2010, 02:49 AM
For me it was 2 years and 4 months. I just trimmed up the ends recently to help even up some of the layers.

RachelRose
January 5th, 2015, 10:33 PM
6 months ... But now that I know now to care for my hair I'm waiting about a year with just s&d

yahirwaO.o
January 5th, 2015, 11:46 PM
2 years and I got to almost classic lenght...... hair was so thin at the bottom, still there was almost no split ends! since I put it two braids or a bun!!!

Now I trim every month, thicker hair here we go and so much fun wearin it down!!!!!!! :o:o:o

diddiedaisy
January 6th, 2015, 02:39 AM
I've gone nearly six months this time, which is the longest I've ever been. But once I hit bsl over the next 2-4 months I'm going to start trimming again to thicken up my wispy shed ends. Once I'm happy with my ends I'll start stretching trims again.

Viola88
January 6th, 2015, 02:53 AM
I haven't trimmed or S&D since Jan 2011. I might go in for a small trim later this month. I haven't decided yet :D

M-L-E
January 6th, 2015, 03:06 AM
7 months and counting, always used to get regular trims but now it's all about the growth! I have gained roughly 6 inches in that time but I didn't start measuring until 3 months in. I've gone from SL/CBL to nearly bra strap so far! Did have to micro trim a couple of times though, as my ends were so thin...

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Last one was 2 and a half years. Trimmed about an inch, maybe more at a new year. The maximum without trims I had probably around 4 years and that is when I got a good chop.... :D

purplevickie
January 6th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Probably two years, I wasn't paying attention - I was a student and had no money for haircuts! I have never had my hair trimmed regularly though, for years I used to get it cut into a bob then let it grow out until it reached that annoying length where it flips on your shoulders, then cut it into a bob again. Probably every six to nine months on average?

momschicklets
January 6th, 2015, 06:19 AM
It's been a year and one month since my last trim. :) Never thought I could go this long, but so far my ends are nearly perfect. No splits...so I'll just grow on.

Johannah
January 6th, 2015, 07:15 AM
10 months, I guess.

embee
January 6th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I have not trimmed since July 2005, if I remember right. Some S&D. I think I'm at Terminal length now. :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 7th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I have not trimmed since July 2005, if I remember right. Some S&D. I think I'm at Terminal length now. :)

Well this is a really hard post to live up to hahaha Congrats!!!

My longest time would be around 10-11 months. I usually do six months and just get a cm or under trimmed off... But this year I want to try no trims with some dusting here and there ;)

lunalocks
January 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Embee, I am curious as to how long your longest hairs are and what your taper is like.

It has been not quite 2 years for me. I do S and D. I gain an average of 7 inches per year. My ends are thin but since my hair is up all the time it does not really matter right now. In one year i will be past classic and (but who knows, I may change my goal again) plan to trim off several inches and maintain there for a while to thicken up ends.

Ambrielle
January 7th, 2015, 09:53 AM
the longest i went without a trim was 3,5- 4 years, this was a long, long time ago. I grew from chin to solid waist. my ends were a bit thin and damaged ( from multiple box dyes).

My last trim was sometime in mid November :)

curiouskitty
January 7th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Six months. That's just about as long as the ends of my hair stay 'elastic'. Any long than that, and things quickly turn for the crunchy and dry. :(

Sharysa
January 7th, 2015, 01:36 PM
The official longest time was a year after doing the no-trim challenge, but unofficially it was at least one and a half years.

My hair is pretty tough.

ShDiHa
January 7th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I have no idea what the longest time I've gone without trimming, but the last 'trim' was in August.

jasper
January 7th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I can' t remember my last trim. :confused: I wonder if I posted about it and could figure this out by searching threads. I think it was when someone mentioned using a book to hold hair for a self-trim. I wanted to trim up some fairytale ends and tried the book idea. I don't know if I have trimmed since.

Stray_mind
January 9th, 2015, 11:54 AM
6 months i think... But i'm thinking of not trimming this april, so maybe i'll break that record :)

Ani Ta
January 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM
...right now as I had no trim since autumn 2010. I hope to keep it until autumn 2015 and - if necessary - will trim then and start another five year cycle. The only thing I do is some S&D now and then but not on a regular basis.

TwilightShadow
January 14th, 2015, 05:41 AM
The longest I've gone without trims was about 2 years. I had it cut to a pixie (sort of) and then just let it grow. I'm not sure how long it got, because it was about 10 years ago and I wasn't documenting it, but I assume it reached BSL before I cut it again.