PDA

View Full Version : Stinky scalp

moonkitty
August 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I recently started washing my hair only twice a week but notice that icky smell one gets when their scalp hasn't been washed in days. This smell has always made me sick when I smell it on other's, so the last thing I want is to subject others to the smell from MY hair! How do you all deal with this?

little_cherry
August 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
How about a spritzing/misting spray? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064&highlight=mister+bottle). Adding a few drops of lavender EO to a mister bottle with water is nice if you like lavender, that is.

sweetee810
August 30th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I always use ACV before I wash my hair. That takes the smell out completely for days. I noticed that sometimes shampoo doesn't always take it out completely. But when I use the ACV, I can go for days and I don't get that stinky head smell. I hate that smell on other people. Like I don't see how they don't notice or even notice and not even care.

cindy58
August 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
My first advice is -- if you want to wash it because you don't like the smell, go ahead and do it.

Try a SMT with some great smelling conditioner -- leaving it on your hair longer than when you just shampoo and condition helps keep the scent lingering. You can also blend a couple of conditioners for the SMT.

Every now and then do the lather, rinse, repeat thing. Recently I washed my hair two days in a row (I usually wash 2x a week) and noticed that my hair felt extra clean, and I liked it. I don't need or want to do that all of the time, but occasionally is fine.

ravenreed
August 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
For some reason, when I switched from SLS shampooing to COing I was able to go much longer between washings and the very stinky scalp that I used to get is not noticeable until day 3 or 4. It used to be there the next day.

Cleopatra18
August 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Did you try herbal essence products? I havent washed my hair for a little over a week now (no rinsing of any kind) and it smells like the conditioner,even though i oiled my hair twice.
otherwise,i would also recommend the misting spray with EO of your choice.

moonkitty
August 30th, 2010, 07:13 PM
How do you use ACV BEFORE you wash? I always use an ACV and water mix as a final rinse but that doesn't help the stink after 3 days of not washing.

little_cherry
August 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I used to use ACV, but now I use the lemon juice rinse (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745)- it doesn't get rinsed from the hair and keeps hair feeling and smelling great for days.

sweetee810
August 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE]How do you use ACV BEFORE you wash? I always use an ACV and water mix as a final rinse but that doesn't help the stink after 3 days of not washing[/QUOTE

I do this on the day that I have to wash my hair. Like an hour or two before I wash it. I saturate my hair and scalp with the ACV. I then put my hair up in a bun and wrap a towel or tshirt around it. I wait two hours and then I wash it with SLS free shampoo and a organic conditioner. I can honestly say that this is the only thing that has helped my scalp to stay nice and smelling good for days. I don't do the final rinse because ACV stinks. I don't want to walk around with that smell in my hair. Doing this has made my hair nice and shiny too. Really soft and manageable.

sweetee810
August 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
How do you use ACV BEFORE you wash? I always use an ACV and water mix as a final rinse but that doesn't help the stink after 3 days of not washing.

I replied already to you but I wanted to add that I always use ACV full strength. I never do the final rinse with it because the smell takes a long time to go away. I don't smell the ACV after I shampoo it away and condition. U will notice a difference. :)

wimsey
August 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I put 3-5 drops of thyme essential oil into my diluted shampoo (1:8 dilution in a treatment bottle from Sally's) and it helps to keep the sebum smell minimal. I wash about once every 2 weeks at this point.

HintOfMint
August 30th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I recently started washing my hair only twice a week but notice that icky smell one gets when their scalp hasn't been washed in days. This smell has always made me sick when I smell it on other's, so the last thing I want is to subject others to the smell from MY hair! How do you all deal with this?

Is there any reason why you are stretching washes? Is it to avoid getting your hair wet so often? If so, there are people who scalp wash and are quite successful with it. Also a kind of acidic rinse may improve scalp health in general and stave off the smell.