PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly I can braid!

sparkle'n'bling
August 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've been able to do a basic English braid only on other people's hair before, but that's as far as my braiding ability went. Then recently I decided to just do it, and I can now English, rope, and fishtail braid on myself, and English, French, Dutch, rope, fishtail, and lace braid on other people! I'm going to be able to add in more braiding to my styles now. Can't share any pictures sorry, I just wanted to share my newly discovered ability. My sister often asks me to lace braid her hair, because she likes the style, which I find quite a compliment.

spidermom
August 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
It's kind of funny how something like that can elude you for weeks/months/years and then all of a sudden everything just falls right into place and you can do it! Congratulations.

MissManda
August 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
That is so wonderful! :D Congratulations on your newly-found braid aptitude! You'll be doing the really fancy and complex braids before you know it! :flower: Have fun braiding and I wish you much happy growing!

SpinDance
August 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Congratulations! That is how it seems to be, suddenly it just works. I could make basic English or Dutch braids on my self or someone else, but couldn't do French or any other braid that added in along the head on myself. On others, yes, but not myself. This was in the days before internet video, so I sat with a book in my lap and my hands making knots for a while every evening for about 2 weeks and suddenly my hands 'got it'. I've been able to do them since.

It is such a wonderful feeling to have so many options suddenly open to you.

Adora Belle
August 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Yay! I love when that happens, I've been able to braid my own hair for quite awhile but for the life of my couldn't figure out lace braids. I did the same thing you did, one day I sat down and just did it and it worked :-)

TinaDenali
August 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Oh, I only wish I could suddenly find myself able to do braids. I'm absolutely dreadful at them. Just last night I spend a good 30 minutes trying to do pig-tail braids.

Lucky you!! :)

going gray
August 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Congratulations to you! While my hair is still too short for a decent "anything" I'm ALL thumbs, enjoy your achievements...

eezepeeze
August 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Doesn't it just feel great when you finally get the hang of something that's been eluding you? Congrats :-)

Henrietta
August 31st, 2010, 08:03 AM
It is a real compliment when someone asks you to do their hair for them...:) And you can gain new skills this way! Good luck with braiding on your own hair:)

Alvrodul
August 31st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Congratulations! I can do simple braids for myself, though most of the time they end up rather crooked or lopsided. And don't even bother talking about french or dutch braiding!

I have done rope braids a few times this month, though, and they mostly turned out well. :)

Krentje
September 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
It's kind of funny how something like that can elude you for weeks/months/years and then all of a sudden everything just falls right into place and you can do it!

I hope you are right. I still cannot make simple decent braids on myself, on my sister only simple doubles.

TO: Did you use youtube to teach yourself the braiding, including try-and-fail, or did someone show you?

Atira
September 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
I wish I could braid!!

sparkle'n'bling
September 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
I watched Torrinpaige's videos on youtube to learn the techniques, then I just did it. I managed a lace braid on myself this morning - first ever try on my own hair. It gets easier each time as you get 'muscle memory' for the different braids.

Sagi1982
September 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hey, great!
Congratulations!

sparkle'n'bling
September 11th, 2010, 02:21 AM
And now I can French and Dutch on myself. Both came out looking good on the first try, and even better the second time. :joy:

baaaad_kitty
September 11th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Congratulations! I had the same feeling just last month as well. It feels great! And I'm constantly looking at other people's hair thinking hmmm I wanna do THIS braid on that hair LOL

tinti
September 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Congrats! It's amazing how the braiding skills just appear one day :D And yay you who can do rope braids, I can't for the life of me figure them out :p Good luck on discovering other braids and happy growing!

lajsa
September 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
It's like when I learned how to make a single english braid in the back. I could do decent braids if I did two, one on each side of my head, but when I tried to do a single one in the back it wouldn't turn out like I wanted it to. Then all of a sudden one day I just did it and it worked. :p

Congrats on your new skills ;)