PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a good (inexpensive) microbraiding salon

redneckprincess
August 30th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have decided that wearing my hair up for months at a time isnt going to be enough, I still see my length when i take showers or take it down. i have always wanted micro braids, and even talked to a couple salons, one i looked at was $200 +the hair...not a very clean or nice place in the least, and the other will cost $250 + the hair, the hair I already purchased was $2. a bag and the one salon told me I would need 6 bags. so thats not a problem, infact I already bought it.

I am a caucassion (white) girl and wouldnt know where to begin to look for such a place, let alone one that isnt going to give me a hard time or think im trying to be something that im not for getting such a style...Im going for more of a hippie look...

thanks for any and all help...(if anyone has pics, Id love to see them as well)

Luckysock
August 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Can you post any pictures of what you have in mind? :D

Gvnagitlvgei
August 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Too bad I'm not visiting my family in Michigan, I'd do it myself lol! Whereabouts in Michigan? You should try to find an African braiding shop or check Korean beauty supply stores/African grocers for business cards or word of mouth on braiders. It'll be cheaper than a salon. Good luck and show us a pic when it's done!!!

redneckprincess
August 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Too bad I'm not visiting my family in Michigan, I'd do it myself lol! Whereabouts in Michigan? You should try to find an African braiding shop or check Korean beauty supply stores/African grocers for business cards or word of mouth on braiders. It'll be cheaper than a salon. Good luck and show us a pic when it's done!!!

Lansing/Jackson/AnnArbor-ish area
Lol you planning to come out anytime soon :)

Yes I'll post pics when I get it done and tomorrow I'll post pics of what I'm talking about..

30isthenewblack
August 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
From personal experience of having braids (and adding extensions), it was really damaging to my hair. The braids are generally pulled very tight to create that look and it can even cause alopecia. You would normally get the braids done every two or three months depending on your regrowth so that is also something to think about.

redneckprincess
August 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
From personal experience of having braids (and adding extensions), it was really damaging to my hair. The braids are generally pulled very tight to create that look and it can even cause alopecia. You would normally get the braids done every two or three months depending on your regrowth so that is also something to think about.

mainly because of the cost, I only plan on getting this done once

TinaDenali
August 31st, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have decided that wearing my hair up for months at a time isnt going to be enough, I still see my length when i take showers or take it down.

I'm confused. Do you want to get the braids done because you like the look or because you don't want to see growth (which is also confusing!!)? What's wrong with seeing your length when you take it down? Isn't that a good thing? :)

I'm confused about why it is you want the braids in the first place.

spidermom
August 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM
I can do small braiding on myself, but it's really not worth the time it takes because my hair fluffs out of the braids in all directions right away, and pretty soon I have a cloud of tangled up hairs. This could happen to you!

redneckprincess
August 31st, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm confused. Do you want to get the braids done because you like the look or because you don't want to see growth (which is also confusing!!)? What's wrong with seeing your length when you take it down? Isn't that a good thing? :)

I'm confused about why it is you want the braids in the first place.

both i like the look and id like to hide my length, its not a bad thing to see it but when i take it down, i want to measure it and get obsessive about weather its growing or not

I can do small braiding on myself, but it's really not worth the time it takes because my hair fluffs out of the braids in all directions right away, and pretty soon I have a cloud of tangled up hairs. This could happen to you!
yes it probally would, but i plan to wet down my hair as i take each one down to defer that from happening so much

sarahbrownie
August 31st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm not an extension-hater, I've had some extensions done before, and done properly there is relatively no long-term damage but can be expensive. It also will feel really heavy and you'll get quite a lot of headaches from the additional weight of the added hair. I got synthetics braids once in high school (cotton candy colors) and I learned it's better if you don't get you hair wet at all because after washing they got very dull and smells funky. If I was in your shoes I would take that $200 and invest it in hairtoys, which will last forever, but micro braids will last 2-4 months depending on your hair growth. Did I also mention how much your bum will ache sitting in that chair because it takes so long? Mine took 4-5 hours with a break in between for just regular shoulder length individual braids. I don't know what microbraids will take...:shrug:. It's probably why it cost so much, mine was $300, which is around $30 for a half an hour, which is almost the same cost and time as a hair cut. See, with that type of time being used the stylist has to make up for missing out on other appointments. Don't mean to be a debbie-downer, just telling you the logistics of it so you know what to expect, if you really want to do it, go for it! If it makes you happy that's the most important thing.

Gvnagitlvgei
August 31st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Lansing/Jackson/AnnArbor-ish area
Lol you planning to come out anytime soon :)

Yes I'll post pics when I get it done and tomorrow I'll post pics of what I'm talking about..

LOL. We might but the family lives in Grand Rapids. Darn. Are you good with braiding in general? You could practice little bit at a time and learn to do your own. But with your fine hair type, just use a little gel to kinda stick the weave hair with your own. There are some vids online. If you get on Marquetta Breslin's site, the first YT down below, you can get some training for free. You have to subscribe to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYukkpx6lhA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSbElrx_6Q&feature=related

About the cost, 300 is way too much to pay and if you find an African braider, you can often come out much less. They aren't damaging unless they're not done right. Synthetic hair is heavier and holds oil more but human hair weave is much lighter because you only need about half to a 1/3 of the amount if you use synthetic.

For those not comprehending micros, people often get them to give the hair a rest and stop stressing about it. You generally add length with the braids and when you see the new growth and finally take them down, it's reassuring to see all that growth at once. But be forewarned, you have to gently treat hair once taken down due to all the retained shed hair. Gosh, I really wish I could do them. It's gonna be my side hustle shhhhhhh....case the tax people are listening lol!