PDA

View Full Version : Help please?

AmbrosiaShadows
August 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Okay, so, my sister has the most unruly hair I have ever seen. When brushed, she has the most beautiful chestnut brown S-waves. The problem is that her hair likes to dread-lock itself. She also has a very sensitive scalp which make brushing her hair out painful. We have come to call her hair "the angry wolverine" because of its unruliness.

When she was little, we used to use Infusium 23 as a leave in detangler every morning to help with the knots. Unfortunately, I don't think they make it anymore so no more help from that area.

We have taken to using monthly deposits that cost a pretty penny at our hairstylists but it seems to be working.

Because I'm that hair care freak in my family, my sister has relegated her hair as my task.

I've got her doing CWC with VO5 moisterizing shampoo and co. with Logona Hair Repair - Jojoba as the second condition and that seems to be helping.

Any ideas to save my sisters' hair?

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Only comb it with a seamless rake or seamless showercomb when it is loaded with conditioner. I have unpleasant memories of my mother trying to brush or comb my snarly wurly hair when I was a kid. It made me cry because it hurt, so she forced me cut it all off.

Marjolein
August 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure since I'm only a 1c, but it seems to me that she's trying to treat curly hair as straight or slightly wavy hair. From what I've gathered the hair does not respond nicely :evil:. I hope a few curlies will chime in and tell you that either what I'm saying is complete nonsense, or that this may indeed be the case and they have some pointers for you (well, your sister).

kittensoupnrice
August 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'd try using a very wide-rake plastic comb (tenderheaded has some nice combs like this) and have her comb out her hair in the shower while it's full of conditioner.

I wouldn't try brushing or combing it out while it's dry.

Maybe taking a look at the curlygirl method would work for her?

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Addendum: ditch the 'poo and Conditioner-only wash (there's a giant thread on that method here) I have a GIANT improvement in my hair and I've only been COing for a few days, even my DH noticed!

SpinDance
August 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Your description of the problems combing sound painfully familiar. My hair laughs at brushes and will happily break teeth on a thin toothed comb. Or at least it did 'back in the day' when I was not the one in control of my hair.

This is a link to one of my favorite 'combs': http://www.etsy.com/transaction/16003944

That works perfectly for me, as do most forks. I most often finger comb, always carefully detangle while my hair is in the running water in the shower or with conditioner on it. Using the right combination of conditioners/oils I have no problems keeping my hair mostly tangle free, but it does take attention to keeping it that way. No loose hair in the wind, and if something happens (like hair coming loose from a bun while on a roller coaster) detangle ASAP and get it braided.

Have you tried some deep oil treatments? Heavy application of coconut oil or Shea butter, or some other oil if there is something you know her hair likes? It took me quite a while and some experimentation to figure out which oils/blends my hair likes, but that has sure made it easier to care for it.

Good luck in your experiments to figure out what your sisters hair needs.