PDA

View Full Version : Is your residency here a secret?

LuXious
August 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Nobody knows about me and TLHC. I've mentioned what I've learned here to others and credited the site for the knowledge. I've referred a few people to check it out, but I've hid my involvement. No one knows I have photo albums of hair pics. No one knows I look at other members' albums and comment on their hair. You know? I'm just kind of embarrassed that I'm so into growing my hair out that I take and post pictures of it and look at others' photo albums and discuss hair care and growth. I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's an interest of mine, but it's the tie to vanity (or insecurity) that I don't want others to see. Which is insecure in itself. Whatever. Anyone else hang out at TLHC in the closet?

christine1989
August 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I don't really try to hide the fact that I post here but I don't talk about it with others because they are just not interested in hair. I know they would be bored out of their minds if I started talking about sulfates and oils and how many inches my hair grew so far this year..... If I had any friends who were interested in hair or were growing their hair out I would definatly want to talk about it. Once in a while I do give people tips if they ask. I recently got my aunt hooked on coconut oil and my mom and grandma now take biotin and are really liking it.

Juneii
August 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
mostly, I only mention it in passing if I am in a conversation about hair.

Debra83
August 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
mostly, I only mention it in passing if I am in a conversation about hair.

Me too, because I don't think the circles I hang out with are interested in it. I talk about ideas from here and give this site the credit, and I've posted on other sites recommending this site too. I also have, twice now, recommended it to people who I had just met who I thought would be interested in the info here about hair, but I don't think they joined. I don't get it. I can't imagine not having this site. When I'm off of my jobs, and have vacation, I log soooo much time here, and when I'm home I'm here. If there is a particularly interesting thread happening that I'm really into, I'll log in first thing in the morning, too, before I get ready for work....and, see, it is now 12:07 am, and I have to get up early tomorrow, but here I am!!! I'm addicted!!!

MissManda
August 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
My chosen family and a couple of friends know I'm a member here, but they don't really care and I really don't mind mentioning it in passing. ^^ I tried to get a couple of people to come here, but alas, it has not happened.

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I am pretty much out of the LHC closet. I talk about it with my friends and read posts aloud to them sometimes. I have talked some friends into signing up and discussed the site with complete strangers as a resource and support group.
I am proud to be an active :cheese:LHC member:cheese:, but I think it's cool that you can have something that's just for you.

Loreley
August 30th, 2010, 01:35 AM
My family and my friends know that I post here but they don't know that I measure my hair and take length shots. My mum always tells me that I'm too obsessed with my hair and spend too much time taking care of it. :rolleyes:

luxepiggy
August 30th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I definitely don't go out of my way to hide it . . .then again, I'm a member of another forum (about designer handbags/shoes/clothing) where I spend a *lot* of time, so my friends are pretty much accustomed to me doing crazy things like flying across the country for a forum meet-up (^(oo)^)v

BunnyBee
August 30th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Not a secret at all, but it probably should be. I get a lot of eye-rolls, tuts and a lot of "you need better interests than hair, it's not normal" LOL

It's annoying especially when I'm particularly pleased with my hair for whatever reason, someone always wants to p!$$ on my parade <_<

swanns
August 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I usually refer to it as ''this hair forum'' that I'm a member of. It never occurred to me people might find it strange there's a forum only about hair (although as we all know, LHC is about so much more than just hair, and that there is no such thing as JUST hair ;) ) until someone got really incredulous when I told them about it. Since then I've just tried to kind of off-handedly mention it when I've needed to, it's not a secret but I don't go out of my way to tell people about it either.

Night_Kitten
August 30th, 2010, 04:28 AM
My parents know I'm a member in a hair-forum, and my mom even helps me measure :crush:
My best friend also knows, but the rest of my friends don't know... They're not into long hair, and it's not an interesting subject for them...

bte
August 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I don't generally mention it to other people, because I don't know many people IRL who are as interested in hair as I am. Likewise, a few friends of mine have mentioned boards/groups they are involved with about subjects which don't interest me, and I bet there are many others who are closet crochet board members )or whatever) but never tell anyone who isn't as obsessed as they are.

humble_knight
August 30th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I talk about LHC with people on another hair forum I use :face:

Due to my excessive curiosity, I like to know what different nationalities think about haircare, but of course LHC is very multicultural, so I like to have a nose here sometimes :face:

Carolyn
August 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM
No I don't refer to LHC by name to anyone. If I do have a reason to say something about things I've learned here, I call LHC a "women's healthy and beauty forum". That has satisfied anyone who wondered. No one and I mean no one in my real life has long hair or an interest in growing it or having healthier hair. They don't want to hear me talk about hair so I don't. Hair bores them as much as my husband's talk of farming or a friends talk of her bicycle or another friend's interest in football bores me. Long hair is not a mainstream interest. People in my real life would see it as vain and self absorbed. I'd rather not have to explain why I spend time here and post a lot. I think it's best to quietly go about doing what I enjoy but at the same time not calling attention to it.

Phexlyn
August 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
None of my friends are really interested in long hair and haircare, so I don't talk about that much in general. I have given advice to some people or directed them to the forums, but I usually give the impression that I just use LHC for resource/info (and omit the fact that I'm a member). If someone asks, of course, I do not deny my membership, but apart from that... I don't tell ;)

alwayssmiling
August 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I talk a lot about the LHC to my friends and family. I'm always "advising" them on what I have learned here - they think its funny because I'm so hair obsessed. Certainly not a secret, but I sometimes am a bit embarrassed at my own vanity and obsessiveness. :o

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I don't talk about LHC IRL...my husband knows, that's about it. I have a knitting acquaintance that has hair issues, I tried to help her but I debated about sending her here. My past experience with some of the users here makes me leery to send anyone here.

Maddy25
August 30th, 2010, 07:20 AM
My fiance and mom know :) They are all I really talk to anyways.

Bianca
August 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hmm, I dont talk about it, but I dont hide it either. They all know i'm a hair nut. They try not to get me started, so they avoid talking or asking me about hair.

But no, it's not a secret, my familiy, my bf, and my closest friends all know i'm here...

LouLaLa
August 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Its no secret but I dont talk heaps about it either. Ive mentioned it to my mum when she has asked me why im putting oil and honey on my hair though :p

My dbf knows but he understands that im really into haircare and he supports me with it.

I think its not really beng in the closet but as others have said most people arent into hair care more fads, cuts etc. I also dont want to tell anyone to give up straighteners or comment on how dry some of my friends are making their hair so Im really only into my own hair and passing on tips to my mum who wants nicer hair but isnt as into it as I am.

LCH is more for me though, I like the subforums and wouldnt really chat about some of the topics as I want to respect peoples privacy if theyre going through a hard time etc. Funny articles, recipies etc however I would share.

XcaliburGirl
August 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I sometimes say "I read on that hair forum I go to [insert interesting tidbit]", but I try to keep it to a minimum. Is it a contradiction to pride oneself on not being vain? I'm not sure, but I do sometimes.

I talk about it a lot to my husband, but try not to bore him too much (he does the same for me when talking about his hobbies). I do tell my sister (with waist-length hair) about the latest "weird" thing I put in my hair: honey, oil, aloe, shampoo bars, vinegar, etc. She finds it amusing.

EtherealOde
August 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I talk about it to people who seem like they might be interested, and to my husband. I guess I just don't share a lot of personal stuff with people if there isn't a real need to give them that information. I don't feel it is in any way vain to be here though or to post and take a strong interest in learning how to take the best care of your hair possible, and to share that information with others who want the same for their own hair. With all the nutrition and care advice, it is almost more a healthy living forum, with an emphasis on healthy hair care.

I love it here.

cmnt831
August 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I sometimes say "I read on that hair forum I go to [insert interesting tidbit]", but I try to keep it to a minimum. Is it a contradiction to pride oneself on not being vain? I'm not sure, but I do sometimes.

I talk about it a lot to my husband, but try not to bore him too much (he does the same for me when talking about his hobbies). I do tell my sister (with waist-length hair) about the latest "weird" thing I put in my hair: honey, oil, aloe, shampoo bars, vinegar, etc. She finds it amusing.

This is what I do, too. Dh knows pretty much the full extent of my involvement here, but I also try not to bore him. Everyone else gets the, "I learned on a hair forum" bit. Sometimes I get weird looks, but that's mostly from those who don't know what a forum is in the first place. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, XcaliberGirl, pretty much summed it up for me. :)

UltraBella
August 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
My husband and daughter think my obsession with LHC is funny and most everyone I am close to has heard all about it. So no, no secrets here :) I even talked to a lady at the movies about LHC, her hair was mid-thigh length and just beautiful !

constantki
August 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM
My residency here is a secret, but I'm not hiding it intentionally. If my long hair ever came up in conversation I would probably mention it, but the fact that I frequent lhc is not something most people would be interested in. My friends aren't much into the whole hair care thing. Shampoo, maintain at shoulder length, and leave it alone is their philosophy.

TinaDenali
August 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
No secret for me, either. My DH knows, my parents know... anyone who I talk to probably knows :)

TrudieCat
August 30th, 2010, 09:05 AM
My membership here is not a secret, but I don't find reason to talk about it too much IRL. When I've brought it up to friends/family, they have all seemed to find it funny. BF knows how much I'm on here and I share all kinds of LHC tidbits with him. He humors me. :D

Wanderer09
August 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My family knows (and think it's weird as heck), and a couple of friends know (and have the same opinion). I don't bring it up in conversation with most people unless I'm giving hair advice, which doesn't happen often IRL.

lapushka
August 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Nope. I haven't told anyone, and that's how it's staying. I like the fact that there's a place like this where I can be anonymous, where everything else in my life momentarily doesn't matter, and where I can have wonderful social interaction with other women. I like the fact that there's no one looking over my shoulder. No pressure. No stress. Just some quality me-time.

teela1978
August 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My mom knows... mainly because of meets. I think its generally a good idea to mention to someone that you're going off to meet strangers and that if you're not back in a few hours they should check on things :) I also might have mentioned to a friend or two about my crazy hair forum when "what you spend your time doing online" comes up... but really I keep it on the down low. The less people that know how into my hair I really am the better :)

rags
August 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I don't keep it a secret, but I don't tell a whole lot of people either. I mainly tell my DH if there's something interesting/amusing on here, and my daughter. Anyone else might get told of "something I read on a women's forum on the internet" (sorry to all of our guys on here - it's just an easy way to explain without seeming obsessed with my hair!).

jeanniet
August 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I belong to a number of different lists and forums for various interests, and I don't really bring any of them up in my personal life except occasionally, but that's mostly because they're interests I don't share with anyone IRL. The beauty of the internet is that I can connect with people who share my interest in tortoises, for example. I might not ever meet them in person, but we've known each other for years and provide a lot of information and support that I just wouldn't be able to get elsewhere. Same thing goes for here, although I haven't been a member of this community for very long. :p

breezefaerie
August 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
The only person I have ever talked about LHC with is my SO. It's usually only in passing and I refer to LHC as "my community" when I do talk about it.

missjessiecakes
August 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
:lol: I was just going to blog about this. Yesterday this woman came into the taco johns where I work and she had some gorgeous what I think would be classic length hair and when I took her food out I told her all about it. She probably thinks I am crazy but :D all the best people are you know. But she said she would take a look So if she is lurking HI I am the crazy food worker lady that told you to come here for the updos.

Anyways df knows and understands. He's such a sweetie he'll walk by and see the familiar grey background and ask how y'all are. I tell everyone about you guys and this place so I would say its a widely known fact that I frequent a long hair forum because I want to have long beautiful hair.

slythwolf
August 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I talk about this place all the time. I probably won't mention it at my job interview on Wednesday, but you know.

But then, I don't actually live here--I'm a resident of the state of Michigan. ;)

Crackaleen
August 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I talk about LHC and a couple of other forums I frequent all the time with my husband and close family members, mostly because they find it amusing. I don't really say much about it with others, though I certainly don't hide it.

Kelli Kat
August 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
My kids know the full extent of my involvement since they help me measure and take pics. Other than that no one I hang with is really interested in hair, so I don't talk to them about it.

sneakybea
August 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I don't broadcast that I belong to this site, but I don't necessarily hide it. I've mentioned it a couple times to my mom and once or twice to my friends, one of whom teases me (but she'll do that anyway). Others just say "oh, that's how you learned to do that hairstyle/found those pretty hair ornaments, etc." Then again, I have a lot of long haired friends in real life, so maybe they're more likely to understand.

EdG
August 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Everyone knows that I'm a LHC member. I've even made good use of my membership here.

For years, my mom has been complaining that my hair is too long.

So now, whenever I visit my mom, I show her the pictures from LHC meets that I attend.

"See mom, my hair isn't too long." **
** When I'm standing in a line of LHC members. ;)

Initially, this plan was successful in getting my mom to stop complaining about my hair (at least for the duration of my visit). :D

Lately, she has changed her complaint to my hair would look so much better with a waist-length blunt-cut. :rolleyes:
Ed

GoddesJourney
August 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Nope people make fun of my for it. My husband calls it my "dorky site" which is "for dorks, about hair". He knows it works, though, as my hair is now more beautiful than ever, which he loves. I've also learned a lot of other things from here, so he's just talking because I make fun of the website from his soccer team. My brother calls it "the hair blog that you read, every day". He thinks it's a blog. He also thinks it's only about hair. My mom hasn't said anything since I started kicking down hair tips her way. I usually don't mention it to other people, but now and then I will if I meet someone that seems interested in hair related information.

ghost
August 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Nope! Most people I know know that hair is a point of obsession with me, and that I am on here.

My younger sister wants to grow her hair out now, and actually asked me for the link the other day :)

Anlbe
August 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I talk about conversations I have here or read. Hey people here are interesting! But I say 'the online community I'm part of' unless it's something actually to do with hair or if people ask me. It's not a secret, it's just that most people aren't interested in the details.

starlights
August 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah ive told a few friends im on a hair forum and they either laugh or look at me like im crazy. I guess they are just not into hair as much as i am :P

Feng-Shui
August 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM
No, no secret with me.

My friends know the member are with LHC.

I often recommends to LHC if people many questions has over my hair or problems with their hair.:)

Othala
August 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Nope. If LHC had a flag I'd be flying it on top of my roof.

DuckyDot
August 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
If My friends knew that I was a member of 2 hair forums they would just laugh at me..

I told my firend that I had Learnt to Frnch Braid by watching YouTube Videos and she said:

'Thats Sooo Sad! Haahahahhahahahahha'

That really annoyed me.

Merewen
August 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
No secret, but it isn't incredibly well known. My family knows, my husband knows, and my best friend knows. I've mentioned it to a few others in passing when it came up, but most people I'm around don't care so it doesn't come up.

HintOfMint
August 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I talk about it if the conversation ever rolls around to hair. For the mainstream, my routine is pretty unusual and I'm picky about hair products (no proteins, cones... etc.), yet, for someone with long hair I am unusually cheap (again, for the mainstream) with said products. So usually if I talk about my routine, I have a little explaining to do as to how I learned everything.

But the fact that I post here every time I have a question or hair related fear? Oh heck no.

virgo75
August 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't call it a secret, but I keep so many aspects of my life to myself that it's just another thing that I don't end up advertising. :shrug:

I don't really think to announce to people that I'm growing my hair out or what websites I frequent.

moominhapa
August 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty much in the closet. A couple of my friends know, but for the most part I think people would be pretty judge-y about it, so I don't mention it.

Quixii
August 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I try not to talk about it too much. My family knows, and I recently told my boyfriend (nervously). Everyone's been fine with it, thank goodness. :) I don't think I'll tell random friends/people, though.

Islandgrrl
August 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't say it's a secret, no. I don't really talk about it much, though. My DH, he's another story altogether....he's a blabbermouth about this place! Any time someone compliments my hair when we're in public, he's telling them about "her long hair website." :rolleyes:

Cracks me up, the man does!

nowxisxforever
August 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm out of the LHC closet, personally! I tell everyone I have 'hair forums' when they start me talking about hair. I leave it down sometimes so I get questions.

In fact I mention on my FB that I'm into my hair, and my direct supervisor found me on FB and was teasing me about it...haha :) but she knows I'm a hair dweeb and has let me trim her splits (she bleaches, waist-length) and comb/braid her hair, and put things in it to soften it up, so she already knows my obsession! :) I have most people at work that I talk to (and some I don't) on my FB as well and they get to see my "@LHC: Mid-thigh!!" posts and length update photos and all that. :)

I'm not ashamed! I love my hair, and I love long hair in general, and I am active on long hair forums since 2006. It is what it is, and it's a hobby of mine! Whatever! They can deal with it if they think it's special. :)

In fact, a lot of conversations on new ideas and random weird things at work and at home start with "So, someone on my hair forums..." ;)

fisher2
August 30th, 2010, 06:36 PM
only to people out of my house my gf knows but besides that noone really i mean im on the lhc group but i dont think anyone looks on my fb much

Kristin
August 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I talk about LHC constantly to DBF, family, and the occasional coworker. I think they just laugh it off because they know I'm obsessed with my hair and pretty much consider me to be crazy anyway.

SpinDance
August 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
My close family knows, since I talk about sthings I've learned here once in a while. They don't care, but they are kind enough to listen to me. :)

I've mentioned the site to several people who have seemed genuinely interested in growing hair, techniques or hair styles, but have no idea if any of them have actually come or joined.

I consider this site of my de-stressers from Real Life. My DH has been kind enough to help me measure and take a couple photos, but the one who helps me most is my youngest son. He's been kind enough to measure my hair most months, and last month about 3 different times, since I did 2 trimmings. :/ He's also taken photos for me. I'm hoping he will be kind and patient enough to help me measure for the September measure in, and maybe even help me get more pictures soon.

KittyLost
August 31st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Yes, my main reason is that I don't want people to know that I'm growing my hair out long due to the unsupport I would get, only one of my friends knows I am growing my hair because she is doing it too.

When they ask where I get some of my knowledge from I credit the site but I don't know if they have ever came on and looked around themselves.

Chrissy
August 31st, 2010, 04:44 AM
I don't really try to hide the fact that I post here but I don't talk about it with others because they are just not interested in hair. I know they would be bored out of their minds if I started talking about sulfates and oils and how many inches my hair grew so far this year..... If I had any friends who were interested in hair or were growing their hair out I would definatly want to talk about it. Once in a while I do give people tips if they ask. I recently got my aunt hooked on coconut oil and my mom and grandma now take biotin and are really liking it.

What she said!! My dh and both ds know of course!!! I have enlisted them all to measure. :) Sometimes I try and talk my youngest ds into brushing my hair. He will occasionally. I do know that said son was very upset with me when I did the big chop a while back. He is extremely happy I'm growing it out. He also tells me occasionally that I'd better not cut it again!!! Makes my heart happy. He's almost 16 btw.

Chrissy
August 31st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Everyone knows that I'm a LHC member. I've even made good use of my membership here.

For years, my mom has been complaining that my hair is too long.

So now, whenever I visit my mom, I show her the pictures from LHC meets that I attend.

"See mom, my hair isn't too long." **
** When I'm standing in a line of LHC members. ;)

Initially, this plan was successful in getting my mom to stop complaining about my hair (at least for the duration of my visit). :D

Lately, she has changed her complaint to my hair would look so much better with a waist-length blunt-cut. :rolleyes:
Ed

Dang those Mom's!! :) This is funny Ed.

EtherealOde
August 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
There are forums for just about any interest group these days, which is a good thing. It allows people with shared interests to find each other easier to exchange information and ideas. No different really than back in the days when schools had various social clubs...chess, debate, math, and so on.

I belong to many different forums, and I don't share them all with you here because I figure if you were interested in those other things you probably already belong to them too! For instance, a partial list of forums I belong to are:

1. Hermit crab forum (I have hermit crabs)
2. Home canning forum (I do home canning)
3. Homesteading forum (I am interested in gardening and animals and country life)
4. Long hair forum (because I am growing my hair!)
5. Green living forum (we all could be greener)
6. An online gaming forum (because I play dungeons and dragons online)

Just a short list, and btw the gaming forum regularly changes whenever I stop playing a game and go to a new one. And I find new ones in another forum about online games in development. None of those forums make me feel self-conscious in any way, and neither should one about hair. If I belonged to a forum devoted to physical fitness or running, for example, it doesn't make you appear vain for taking an interest in your health. I don't know why taking an interest in the health of one's hair is vain, but that is just how I think.

growing2shine
August 31st, 2010, 08:57 AM
My mom, little brother and best friend know that im a member but I really try to talk about it as little as possible. But sometimes when im really, really happy :joy: I can't help myself... But they are great and quite patient. But it's not at all a secret that im a hair fanatic, A proud hair fanatic that is!!!:cool:

LuXious
September 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
My parents know I'm a member in a hair-forum, and my mom even helps me measure :crush:

My mom is the only other person I know who I can go on and on about hair with comfortably. I get my hair obsession from her.

I'm excited to see so many replies! Thanks, everybody!

Whenever I talk to someone who has a particular hair problem from thinning or slow growth to looking for natural ways to color or condition, I tell them about this site and what a great resource of information and support it is.

I LOVE TLHC! :D

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It's not something I publicise, but my mother knows, and a few close friends, one of whom is a bit of a convert. :D I generally tend to avoid mentioning hair to people I don't know that well, since I don't want to be judged for things like oiling my hair, or washing it only when necessary - the kind of thing that is well known on LHC but IRL is less accepted.

squiggyflop
September 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
i suppose i hid it for a year or so.. im normally a very private person about my interests.. i mention it in passing that i belong to a hair care site.. but i never use the real name of the site.. i say things here i wouldnt say in real life.. like when i ask for advise about health related or personal issues.. i dont want my close friends to know about my excessive sweating or my only washing my hair 2-3 times a week.. and im more free here to discuss things and truly be myself.. i dont think the people close to me would like me the way i really am.. it could lead to uncomfortable situations.. like how i cant tell my friend that i think her dozen or so ICP tattoos are trashy and that the idea of her covering herself with tattoos of her favorite band is the most tasteless body modification ive ever seen in real life.. i dont tell her because i dont want to hurt her and she truly loves them and i want her to keep her fragile self esteem.. i can tell all of you these things without rejection

*Aoife*
September 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
My mam rolls her eyes whenever I do anything wacky to my hair, ie. oils, DCs, etc. and laughs at me for being on here. But in a good humoured way.

I've meantioned it to my friend in passing. She doesn't want to know more, the same way I know roughly what sites she is on but I don't know what she talks about there.

pennyroyal
September 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
My DH & my mom know. That's about it.

elliebean184
September 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
DH knows and thinks it's cool- a lot of it agrees with intuition. He first suggested skipping shampoo to me on a particularly bad hair day, ringing in the switch to CO. He regularly brings up things I learned here with my MIL and Aunt-in-law (?) and I get a little embarrassed by how confused they get, but I appreciate their curiousity. :)

Carrie Ingalls
September 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
My family all know about my being on the "long hair boards." I did get some puzzled looks from some people who insisted on knowing exactly what I was going to Boston for (LHC meet). But other than that I mention it frequently to people who ask or comment on my hair. When I do mention it to other people I stress that there are all different lengths here and that some people are just trying to figure out how best to take care of their hair, and not trying to grow to crazy long lengths.

Capybara
September 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yes and no. I haven't really told anyone that I'm a member here, simply because I don't think they'd be interested. But I do talk about LHC :) I suppose if someone asked me directly, or expressed interest in hair care, I would tell him/her.

LuXious
September 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
i suppose i hid it for a year or so.. im normally a very private person about my interests.. i mention it in passing that i belong to a hair care site.. but i never use the real name of the site.. i say things here i wouldnt say in real life.. like when i ask for advise about health related or personal issues.. i dont want my close friends to know about my excessive sweating or my only washing my hair 2-3 times a week.. and im more free here to discuss things and truly be myself.. i dont think the people close to me would like me the way i really am.. it could lead to uncomfortable situations.. like how i cant tell my friend that i think her dozen or so ICP tattoos are trashy and that the idea of her covering herself with tattoos of her favorite band is the most tasteless body modification ive ever seen in real life.. i dont tell her because i dont want to hurt her and she truly loves them and i want her to keep her fragile self esteem.. i can tell all of you these things without rejection

Good point, Squiggy. We can "let our hair down" here. :bow:

Also, I would like to add that you can love someone for who they are without necessarily liking everything about who they are, in regards to your tattooed friend.

jane53
September 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
People here keep asking me to post pictures and the only picture I've been able to post is my signature picture, which a friend took of me privately.

So when I wear my 36 inches of hair in a lazy French twist held all day by a single chop stick. people say they won't believe it if they don't see pictures. But I can't go around my workplace in the middle of the work day demanding that students or colleagues take pictures of my head.

So my residency isn't secret, but I can't impose it on my professional life in some ways. So (sniff) I guess some people will never believe that 3 of the last 4 days I've had my hair up in a French twist held with only one chop stick.

funnybunny668
September 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I don't really know anyone IRL who's into hair care, so the subject never really comes up.

beez1717
September 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM
lol! I have not told anyone i post here. :/ Maybe I should let my mom know about this so that she doesn't like get on my back when I say stuff like "no, washing my hair twice doesn't do it any good", and she just gets frustrated.

BritishBraider
September 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I understand where you're coming from, I dont exactly shout it from the rooftops, but still jolly happy to find a nice community with this interest :)

girlcat36
September 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
My presence here is somewhat of a secret. DH knows I come here, but I don't think he knows I take a lot of pictures of the back of my head. DD knows, but doesn't think I am terribly crazy for it.
But NO ONE else knows! People around here like to have their hair 'done'---cut, colored, blow-fried. And I hear a lot of people complain that other people's hair is too long, and 'badly needs to be cut'.
Also--my hair isn't great and people would wonder why I am bothering to have it long, so I don't mention my hair to people.
And secretly, I am afraid I will have a short terminal length and people will think I am silly for thinking I could seriously have long hair.

LuXious
September 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
And secretly, I am afraid I will have a short terminal length and people will think I am silly for thinking I could seriously have long hair.

Your sig pic is of long hair. My hair hasn't been that long since I was 6! It looks very healthy, too. Beautiful big spirals. I would kill for it. (Not literally, of course. With the news lately, I feel that needs to be said.)

PartyPickle
September 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just joined and I've been thinking about whether I'd mention it to other people. There is the whole being thought of as vain or frivolous thing to contend with. I don't think its vain or frivolous to enjoy and cultivate beauty and health in/on yourself and others. My husband knows and is very supportive.

Lemur_Catta
September 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
My boyfriend knows I am here, and sometimes he takes pictures of my hair. Actually, most of the pictures I posted here were taken by him :D
Sometimes I also show him hairstyles videos or pictures of henna and stuff, but he's not very interested in hair. He has wonderful, very thick and shiny hair (5inches pony!) without doing anything, so he doesn't really understand why I spend so much time taking care of my hair.
I don't talk to other people about LHC because I don't know anyone interested in hair as me, and I know few people who can speak English anyway. But sometimes I give my girlfriends advice about hair :D

arwenevenstar37
September 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I just joined a little ago and I wouldn't mind discussing LHC wiht other peopl eor letting them know but people I usually spend time with are not interested in growing out their hair and have it rather short for the most part...

girlcat36
September 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Your sig pic is of long hair. My hair hasn't been that long since I was 6! It looks very healthy, too. Beautiful big spirals. I would kill for it. (Not literally, of course. With the news lately, I feel that needs to be said.)

Thank you!
My hair is BSL, and my sig pic was taken at a flattering angle, so my hair looks much thicker(I struggle with very thin, fine hair). I don't consider myself a longhair until I reach waist!

Alun
September 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
No, I have a green card. What? You didn't mean that? You aren't from the Border Patrol?

I already got a penalty point for comments against a certain state, so I won't mention them.

Joking apart, DW and our kids know I frequent this board, but no-one else does.

akrasia
September 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The reason I love posting/reading here is that I don't get to talk with many people in real life about hair. I don't know anyone else with long hair.

My husband knows I hang out here, and he of course sees the various concoctions of oils and herbs I use in my hair. I've told him my hair is like a pet--something I can look after and watch grow.

Xandergrammy
September 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Nope. No secrets here. Everyone knows I have my "hairy" friends! :gabigrin:

girlcat36
September 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
No, I have a green card. What? You didn't mean that? You aren't from the Border Patrol?

I already got a penalty point for comments against a certain state, so I won't mention them.

HahaHaha! :D

I work with a lot of immigrants, so green cards were the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title!

LunarAurora
September 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
My boyfriend knows I am a member here, but he really doesn't care :D
I may also have one or two friends that know it, but I don't talk about it because... they don't care :D

In fact, I am all alone with my hair obsession... ^_^

JenniferNoel
September 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM
No secret, I'm a well-known haircare guru within the circle. :agree:
Everyone turns to me when their hair becomes a war-zone. I've even gotten referrals. (Thanks, LHC!)
I tell people to come here all the time, nobody ever seems to though. heh.

OtiggerificO
September 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Not really, ones of my friends turned me on to this site so we talk about it quite a bit, and my family and friends knows it as one of many forums I frequent.

kabelaced
September 8th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I've mentioned this place to a few friends in passing when giving them hair tips, and a few times in other chats/forums, but I don't tell them my name. C:

Speedbump
September 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I hid my involvement as well for a while, until my hair hit a "certain length" and I figured, "Well, I'm a freak in their eyes anyway, so what the hay!" ;):eyebrows:

squiggyflop
September 9th, 2010, 05:30 AM
People here keep asking me to post pictures and the only picture I've been able to post is my signature picture, which a friend took of me privately.

So when I wear my 36 inches of hair in a lazy French twist held all day by a single chop stick. people say they won't believe it if they don't see pictures. But I can't go around my workplace in the middle of the work day demanding that students or colleagues take pictures of my head.

So my residency isn't secret, but I can't impose it on my professional life in some ways. So (sniff) I guess some people will never believe that 3 of the last 4 days I've had my hair up in a French twist held with only one chop stick.
i take my own pictures.. i prop my cell phone up by cramming it in the center part of a roll of toilet paper and set the self timer, then i run in front of it and freeze..

PiroskaCicu
September 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM
My residency here is sort of a secret, but my boyfriend and some of my family know. :P I do get "teased" for it but I don't mind. It's all in good humour. :) (Except my mom who keeps lecturing me about how I shouldn't be obsessed with hair! lol!)

I don't tell people I'm not close with though.

SpinDance
September 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM
In fact, I am all alone with my hair obsession... ^_^

This made me giggle. If you're all alone, there are a lot of us here with you! :eyebrows:

dreamy10
September 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM
oh yes. real world people don't get it. lol

Finoriel
September 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
:laugh: Kind of.
I just do not happen to talk about hair a lot, since there's nobody near me interested in it, hence I never have the opportunity to mention the forum.
But this generally applies to all forums I am visiting. Most times that's why I joined them, because there are no interested people near me to share my hobby IRL.

My o/h knows I'm on a hair-forum, though I doubt he knows the url of it or that it's an English one and :ponder: thinking of it, I guess I never mentioned that I got modified. Oops :p

Delila
September 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've told a few people about the forum, but haven't really mentioned how much time I've spent here over the years. :o Somehow I think they wouldn't understand how much it means to me. Posting here helped me break the habit of getting haircuts, and helped me figure out what seems to work for me, haircare-wise. Considering how I struggled to figure this stuff out on my own and never made much progress, LHC was a huge help.

alittle722
September 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
i sort of do keep it a secret! ive always been told that with my hair type i could never have long hair! and after going through many short hair cuts i started growing it out (its now about shoulder length).. then i found this site and have been sort of obsessed. i started lurking about three weeks ago and finally took the plunge. now i cant back away! im obsessed with growing my hair! especially when i have such a supportive community to share thoughts and ideas with! :)

JamieLeigh
September 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Definitely not! I'm waaaaay out of the closet LOL. I post all about my hair on my facebook and admin a couple of long-hair groups. (I'm not as active in that as I used to be before my profile attracted some major drama...I am down to under 400 friends, from almost 2500 at one time, and most of those cut off were longhair fans - pun possibly intended LOL) :D I refer people to this site constantly. I don't speak of hair or LHC around people I know for a fact aren't interested, though, because I'd also appreciate the same consideration on topics I couldn't care less about. ;)

morecowbell
September 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Lol @ this thread! :laugh: Great idea, OP! :D
My DBF knows (he sees me lurking on here constantly) and teases me about it. About once a week I'll hear "So, do you know everything about hair yet?" :P
I've mentioned it a few times to other people when talking about hair, and directed a person or two to check it out... so I'm not ashamed... but I would hesitate to admit just how much I'm on here! :)

GeoJ
September 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I told my Mom about this site because she is growing her hair long and was asking me questions. My husband knows. I don't usually mention it to the small number of friends that I have, because none of them are into hair.

Babyfine
September 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
My presence here is somewhat of a secret. DH knows I come here, but I don't think he knows I take a lot of pictures of the back of my head. DD knows, but doesn't think I am terribly crazy for it.
But NO ONE else knows! People around here like to have their hair 'done'---cut, colored, blow-fried. And I hear a lot of people complain that other people's hair is too long, and 'badly needs to be cut'.
Also--my hair isn't great and people would wonder why I am bothering to have it long, so I don't mention my hair to people.
Girlcat,
I think your hair is beautiful- and it IS long!!
I also have very fine ,thin hair that I'm struggling to get past BSL.
It looks like more than it is because I have some wurls.(and frizz)
DH, and my two Ds' know I'm here and that's it. I don't think any of my friends would really understand, most of them are not into growing long hair.
Dh has taken the picture of the back of my head, I'm trying to get him to take another updated one- but my hairs not a lot longer than my avatar pic right now.
My two Ds see me on this site and other hair sites so that's why they know.
Hubby accepts that this is my hobby just like golf is his.
Whenever I share something I've learned here- I just say "health and beauty forum" like Carolyn says. And I've learned a whole lot more here than about hair, too.

jane53
September 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
i take my own pictures.. i prop my cell phone up by cramming it in the center part of a roll of toilet paper and set the self timer, then i run in front of it and freeze..

Wish I could! My cell phone doesn't have a self-timer, and even if it did, I have yet to get it aimed right.

Ludde
September 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Actually, several of those that know I am here have been very positive as I have so rarely cared for my appearence before and now at least have started to learn enough about haircare to participate in their conversation! :D

Wally
September 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't discuss it with DW since she is not interested, but she knows I am on hair sites. My son's girlfriend was visiting a few weeks ago and we got to talking about conditioners and techniques so I showed her a few pictures and suggested that she drop by. I have also talked to my daughter about it. I would mention it to anyone I was talking to about hair.