PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate question!

Chestershire
August 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hi!
I have a question, a quite stupid one I think, but I'm wondering about something now for quite a while, so I'd thought, I'll ask the experts!

In my conditioner ingredient list, I've seen a few sulfates, for exemple dipalmitoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate, and I was wondering wether they are bad too? Perhaps not as bad like SLS's, but still, bad? :eek:

This is what internet says:
This cationic emulsifier primarily works as an anti-static agent, and secondarily as a hair conditioning and detangling ingredient. It’s known for helping to soften and moisturize the hair, and can also work as a wetting agent in cosmetic products. As a plant derived ingredient, it’s generally regarded as environmentally safe and known to possess above average biodegradability capabilities. Thus, many cosmetic manufacturers are increasingly incorporating it into their products. While this ingredient can help enhance the lubricity and softening properties of o/w creams and lotions, it’s mostly used in hair products such as shampoo/conditioner, anti-dandruff treatment, detangler and after-sun product.

HintOfMint
August 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Depends on what you mean by "bad." If you have an allergy to sulfates in any form, then yes, the conditioner may be bad. If you find that sulfates are bad because, when in the form of shampoos, they dry your hair out or are too harsh, then no, the conditioner would not be bad. In such low levels, sulfates are often emulsifiers, meaning they help the ingredients stick together.

christine1989
August 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Anything that ends in "monium" or "sulfate" are ingredients that can be very drying for hair. This is not "bad" for all hair types but often times people avoid them because they increase shedding and dry out the hair and scalp making hair more prone to damage with prolonged use. Some people on the other hand have naturally oily hair and just can't get along without sulfates. It really depends on your hair type- just pay attention to how YOUR hair responds to different shampoos and adjust depending on what your hair's unique needs are.

Chestershire
August 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
okay, thanks :D