PDA

View Full Version : hair, why must you lie to me?

PeonyGarden
August 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM
When we first met, you told me you were curly. Now I can see that you've lied! To me! Your own head! :suspect:

Ok, seriously though, I just wanted to know if anyone else has been through this. I've almost always had short hair (above chin level) and I always believed that my hair was very curly, about 3b/3c or so.

My hair is growing out, and is deciding it might be wavy instead? I'm guessing this is just a product of the weight of the hair pulling out the curl, but the difference seems extreme (especially since I plop my hair to dry). I now have no more corkscrew curls; instead I have a serene wave, around a 2c. The strange thing is, there was no middle ground - I didn't go from 3b to a 3a and then a 2c... The curliest pieces are still 3b/3c, while the middle range is 2c!

I'm not really sure how to type my hair anymore.. the 2c type hair doesn't spiral but the waves are closer together than you would see in a typical 2c or braid-wave type hair.

The point is - did anyone else go through this, and did you have to change your routine to suit your new hair? Did your curl re-develop?

Come spill the beans about how you were betrayed by your own hair ;).

suffer-cait
August 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
yeah, it's deffinitly the weight. my mom's hair does this. when it's cut short, it springs up, but when it grows long it's waves. hers also makes the sudden jump, and her bangs stay quite curly at first. mostly she styles it like it's wavy.

Luckysock
August 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
ha, yes. My hair cheated on me ;) once at the hairdressers, my stylist got my hair to curl in a way I've never seen it curl before, just by scrunching it and drying it with a diffuser. I've tried and tried to get it to behave for me- but it would only do it for him :S

Juneii
August 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
At the hairdressers my hair got to be straight, soft, and shiny. But once I came home and washed it, the layers made itself to look like 1b hair. So I started to grow out my layers and now that it is longer it is definitely a 1a and much smoother and shinier.
My hair cheated on me so many times! ;)

cmnt831
August 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Yes, I did. Well, it's still doing it. When my hair is short (like chin length), it looks a little wavy. But as it gets to about bsl, it forms beautiful 3a spirals (see my album if you want). Now at waist, it is - I don't know - about 2b? Sometimes straighter. I assume it's the weight of the hair pulling on fine strands making it straighter.

Basically, my new routine is to never wear it down anymore because it just looks weird to me now. ( Heh, the hair betrayed me so I must bun it into submission :p). Maybe if it continues straightening as it gets longer, I'll be happier.

Speedbump
August 29th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have lost most of my true curl too. (I always take photos on wash day so I'll have the most possible.) I haven't had it for some time, so I barely remember what it's like! :p But yes, especially when it first starts happening, it can be kind of shocking and not necessarily in a good way. I used to have natural "big hair" and now it simply doesn't do that anymore. Braid waves are the most curl I get now except on wash day before braiding. I must admit though that although I miss my spirals, I'd rather have the length. :o

swivelhop
August 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
My hair does not lie! It makes up stories for the day (or a few hours), about how its curly, or wavy or straight. I have not even tried to use that hairtype pulldown in the profile.

triumphator!
August 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
When my hair is short its much wavier and flips out everywhere, and then from chin to shoulder, it's lame and not wavy and then when it gets some weight to it, it waves up again. NO IDEA WHY. Right now I am in the annoying lame wasteland.

PeonyGarden
August 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hair does seem to have a mind of it's own.

Maybe I can look forward to having my curlies back when my hair increases in length, like your hair triumphator!. It would be nice, but I think my curls might be gone for good :p.

Speedbump, I would also rather have length than curl, but I'm also going to miss the 'big hair' look, which I actually quite liked :laugh:

Now that I'm over the initial - what in the heck is my hair doing?! - phase, I'm starting to see this as an adventure with an entirely different hair type. I wonder what new hair styles I can pull off that I just couldn't before (read: intricate bun details lost in curly mess).

princessp
August 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Haha! Yes, my hair is insufferably curly when short, but as it grows the weight helps relax them quite a bit.

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
My hair was just the opposite; the curls didn't appear until my hair was at least APL. I can still have a lot of curl on wash day if I don't touch it while it dries, but by the 2nd or 3rd day it looks about 1C straight, even 1B.

jasper
August 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I thought mine was straight. Turns out it is wavy if I let it have its way.

Kibitzer
August 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I always had striaight frizzy hair till a stylist cut some layers in. Who knew there was so much curl in there.

ifyouforget
August 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
My hair was just the opposite; the curls didn't appear until my hair was at least APL. I can still have a lot of curl on wash day if I don't touch it while it dries, but by the 2nd or 3rd day it looks about 1C straight, even 1B.

Wait...someone else has wimpy, fall-out curls? I thought I was the only one!
Same thing- when my hair is longer it spirals when wet and when dried naturally (a bit of gel helps), but with in a day or two my hair is not even wavy.
So nice to not be alone!:cheese:

Djinmonet
August 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
When I bun it after moisturizing, it looks almost like straight hair, with bun waves. So much so, that I forget...

A few days ago I thought I'd like a bit of fringe around my face, with the shortest bits around mid ear. Cut it dry, and no sooner did a few hours pass, but my long fringe is poking me in the eye. Oops. hehe :rolleyes: