PDA

View Full Version : Make your mind up! Hair contradictions

chopandchange
August 29th, 2010, 08:20 AM
What are some of the nonsensical, contradictory things you've heard non-LHC people say about hair?

I know that we often hear BOTH of the following:

"You shouldn't have long hair, it makes you look like a little girl."

and ALSO

"You shouldn't wear your long hair up in a bun, it makes you look like an old lady."

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Any other contributions?

Arielle8960
August 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
This one is more for the curlies among us, but:

"Brush your hair, it looks so messy."

And then...

"Why is your hair so frizzy and poofy?"

bunzfan
August 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM

And then...

I second this one my Grandmother was always saying it.

My mums favorite one was "whats the point of having long hair if you always wear it up":eyebrows:

growingmyhair
August 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM

And then...

this is SO true. I often get it from my mom, 'did you brush your hair?' and if I say 'I did' (which is true) she replies 'well, doesn't look like that'. p.s. I don't brush my hair for years now

sarah061
August 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM

And then...

Lmao - this one is excellent!

XcaliburGirl
August 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I've seen infommercials for some sort of straightening/curling contraption with a spinning barrel against a brush. I can't remember the name of it. They show some one with straight hair and describe it as thin and flat. Then they show someone with thick curly hair and describe it as frizzy and out of control. Then they show the "after" pictures and the straight-haired woman now loves her "curly, voluminous" hair; the curly haired woman loves her new "smooth and sleek" hair. To me it looks like they just switched hairstyles.

The message seems to be, whatever your hair is like, it needs to be the exact opposite. I know it's just marketing, but I think a lot of people feel that way.

MandyBeth
August 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Why do you dye your hair black? Then, Ugh your hair is so bad bleached, let your hair be black! The color was natural.

Alexannee10
August 29th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've seen infommercials for some sort of straightening/curling contraption with a spinning barrel against a brush. I can't remember the name of it. They show some one with straight hair and describe it as thin and flat. Then they show someone with thick curly hair and describe it as frizzy and out of control. Then they show the "after" pictures and the straight-haired woman now loves her "curly, voluminous" hair; the curly haired woman loves her new "smooth and sleek" hair. To me it looks like they just switched hairstyles.

The message seems to be, whatever your hair is like, it needs to be the exact opposite. I know it's just marketing, but I think a lot of people feel that way.

Hahaha it's called the Hair Styler. My mom actually bought this .. And it doesn't work at all ! My mom has beautiful curly hair, and it just "flatten" her hair, it doesn't add volume at all ! A waste of money loll

MsBubbles
August 29th, 2010, 01:02 PM
How about 'she's just trying desperately to hold on to her youth by having long hair!'. And in the next sentence 'why doesnt she have it in a shorter, more youthful style...she'd look so much younger!'.

Stupid.

buzzlegum
August 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM

And then...

*sigh* THIS :(

swanns
August 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
My mums favorite one was "whats the point of having long hair if you always wear it up":eyebrows:

Yeah, because having short hair and wearing your long locks in a beautiful elaborate bun are the same thing :p

Heidi_234
August 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM
"Doesn't you need to spend more product on longer hair?"
but then -
"Women with long hair are unkempt."

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
How about 'she's just trying desperately to hold on to her youth by having long hair!'. And in the next sentence 'why doesnt she have it in a shorter, more youthful style...she'd look so much younger!'.

Stupid.

That's funny.

VitaR86
August 29th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Wash your hair every day!...... Don't use alot of conditioner, it'll make your hair greasy looking.

Those are the ones I hear the most.

madzoo
August 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
People with long hair are hiding themselves. People with long hair are seeking too much attention.

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
"You have fine hair but lots and lots of it, but your hair is still so thin!"
:rolleyes:

swanns
August 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
For people with thin hair: "Get some layers, your hair will look fuller!"
And for people with thick hair: "Get some layers so your hair won't look so thick!"

Apparently there's nothing layer's can't do :)

Bonkers57
August 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I was wondering if anybody here has tried the Hair Styler. Thanks for the tip! I think I have better things to waste my money on :laugh:

But, seriously - whatever we were born with is no good, whether it's hair, skin, body, etc. It can't possibly be any good until we buy oodles of products to "improve" ourselves :rolleyes:

Hahaha it's called the Hair Styler. My mom actually bought this .. And it doesn't work at all ! My mom has beautiful curly hair, and it just "flatten" her hair, it doesn't add volume at all ! A waste of money loll

Bonkers57
August 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I can tell you with the utmost certainty that this is...B S...with a capital B S... :mad:

For people with thin hair: "Get some layers, your hair will look fuller!"
And for people with thick hair: "Get some layers so your hair won't look so thick!"

Apparently there's nothing layer's can't do :)

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
"Your hair is too healthy, so you need to do XYZ chemical process(es) to damage it a little bit to make it look better."

:bigeyes:

chopandchange
August 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
"Long hair is disgusting!"

then, in the same sentence:

"I'm saving up for extensions."

Em, right. So it's gross for me to grow my own natural hair out of my head, and keep it clean and healthy, but it's not gross for you to stick a stranger's hair of dubious origin (possibly stolen from a corpse) onto your own head?

ImperfectBrat
August 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
"You should really do something to perk up your color" (said of my natural reddish brown hair)

and then

"Wow, you have really red hair ! What happened to your natural beautiful color" (post henna)

You just can't win it seems. :rolleyes:

Bonkers57
August 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM
AAAAAAARRRRGGHH!!! :steam

"You have fine hair but lots and lots of it, but your hair is still so thin!"
:rolleyes:

anthonyswife
August 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
"Your hair is too healthy, so you need to do XYZ chemical process(es) to damage it a little bit to make it look better."

WHAT??? :confused: Wow.

Although I did have a friend who routinely bleached her hair just to get more volume. Then she told me "Don't ever dye yours, it's too pretty. It would end up just like mine." lol

Quezie
August 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Em, right. So it's gross for me to grow my own natural hair out of my head, and keep it clean and healthy, but it's not gross for you to stick a stranger's hair of dubious origin (possibly stolen from a corpse) onto your own head?

This is the funniest thing.

And also, the thing about long hair looking unkempt. Healthy long hair is anything but unkempt.

I hear a lot that having hair below your waist makes you the weird, crazy cat lady type. :doh:

Nae
August 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
You have such nice thick hair, here, let's thin it out so it looks better..........

triumphator!
August 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
According to commercial shampoo companies, I can only achieve healthy, shiny, beautiful hair if I buy a shampoo according to how I want to "fix it"- there's shampoo for frizzy, fine, color treated, damaged or dry... what if I just want clean hair....?

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
"Henna isn't like chemical hair dye at all. It makes your hair so shiny and soft and strong, while normal dye only does this temporarily and causes lots of damage and breakage. Just make sure you don't henna your hair too much, or your hair will break off."

Fail.

MandyBeth
August 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
With a pixie, I got "Grow your hair so you can do something with it." At SL "Why do you wear the same styles, cut your hair."

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
"Hey, why don't you get some highlights in your hair. It will look like your color is more natural that way."

MandyBeth
August 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Cute one. I was helping a class of 4 yos. A little girl ran over to tell me my short inside out French braids were princess hair. Later a boy came over wanting to know why I had eww girly hair. That was fun. Dumb adults, not so much.

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
"Don't wear braids because they are only for little girls."

But...

"Lara Croft's French braid looks so practical and sophisticated while maintaining a feminine appearance."

christine1989
August 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I hear "short hair makes you look older" but I also hear "long hair ages you". If I actually cared about people's comments and criticism I would be insane by now. :)

mellie89
August 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I just read a hair article that told me to grow out my hair, since long hair is sexy, but not to let it get too "overgrown," because that will make me look disheveled.

Define "overgrown" please? :rolleyes:

sarah061
August 30th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I just love seeing what's "in style" - this past summer all the magazines I read talked about "extra long, sexy mermaid waves" (and I was excited, hehe) and now for fall everywhere I look is talking about the pixie cut.

I think its so funny how the must have hairstyles change.

Read in the Daily Mail the other day that "granny buns" are back in :rolleyes:

ArienEllariel
August 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I've heard that "long hair is for little girls," but also, "Long hair is sexy and sophisticated."

Funny, when my mom cut her hair to between chin and shoulder length everyone told her various forms of, "you look like a little girl!" as a compliment but I've heard so many people say that, "short hair ages you" as well.

If either way I'm going to look "young", I think I'll stick with long hair, thank you very much. :P

ScarlettAdelle
August 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
One thing that absolutely baffled me while in school for cosmetology was that the girls would spend all day playing with thier hair, their friends, clients and dolls hair, but the second it's cut & hits the floor it's suddenly gross. Is it not the exact same hair that was attatched not one minute ago? How does the introduction of a sharp object suddenly make it gross?

I also hear "Why don't you wear your hair down?" the next day, I wear my hair down "It's so poofy!" I wash, blowdry and flat iron it the next day "Your hair just hangs there. You should really get it cut."

Also, the woman who came to my school to teach extensions suggested I cut my hair (which was to the middle of my back at the time) and get extensions that were shorter than my current hair. I could not in any reality justify cutting my hair in order to sew someone elses into my hair.

I also love how people tell me my hair's too long and then go on to explain how they want to grow theirs out. So it's perfectly ok for them to grow theirs out, yet I should cut mine?

Tuntenut
August 30th, 2010, 01:24 AM
My mum, after telling her about the miracles jojoba does for my hair:
" You put oil in your hair? That'll just make it greasy. How did you come up with such a silly idea?"

Cut to three days later when she comes home from work and excitedly show me a little glass bottle:
"It's something called jojoba oil. I got it from a collegue, and she has the most beautiful long hair. I'm gonna go try it out right now!"

*sigh*

Oh, and my mum is also one of those people who will gush over long hair, but maintain that it "adds 20 years."

Konstifik
August 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Nobody mentioned the classical one yet?

"You have to cut it to make it grow!"

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2010, 02:18 AM
It's like how every makeover on a talk show ever requires a drastic shortening of hair and donating it to Locks of Love. The family brings in the "Slob" as a sort of intervention and they chop away all his or her hair and heavily product and chemical it up and pluck away her eyebrows and leave her with no idea how to reproduce the look on her own, and then the next day gushes over celebrity X's extensions and how nice it is that they can do so many hairstyles because of it.

I have gotten the "braids and pigtails look so weird on adult women, you should really just cut your hair" and then heard them comment on how cool it is to have such thick hair that one of my braids is even thicker than all of theirs. Okay, kids, now imagine all that volume in a short cut... I look like the Sphinx with a triangle of hair jutting out from my head. I'm never going down that road again.

Wow you have such gorgeous hair, you should come over and let me do some of my hair magic on you, said a friend over Facebook private message, how do you feel about dying/bleaching, cause it would look great with highlights and make you look more exotic. Same day, another friend on Facebook commented that I should never cut or dye my hair, because it looks so exotic and unique.

When my hair was shorter it was too thick to style. People would say how much they would love to play with all my hair, but it was too short to braid or anything, and then say I should cut it off because a person couldn't to anything with it.

When I was growing out my fringe, my mother kept wanting to trim it because it was "in my eyes" and she "couldn't see my face" but if I was going to grow out my hair, she decided that it was best to shave half my hair from the underside so I wouldn't have to deal with knots and tangles. Not really a contradiction, but still other people controlling my hair habits in an uncomfortable way.

She also says that dying hair a darker colour looks "trashy," went on to say that my hair is S*** brown and there was nothing I could do about it and bought bleach for my sister's hair.

Phexlyn
August 30th, 2010, 03:49 AM
"Hey, why don't you get some highlights in your hair. It will look like your color is more natural that way."
That is so odd... had that as well :rolleyes:

The most common one I get is:
"Why don't you wear it down more, it's always up!" - "Your hair just hangs there, why don't you do anything with it?" :rolleyes:

swanns
August 30th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Also, the woman who came to my school to teach extensions suggested I cut my hair (which was to the middle of my back at the time) and get extensions that were shorter than my current hair. I could not in any reality justify cutting my hair in order to sew someone elses into my hair.

I've read about a similar kind of an experience here on LHC before. Never ceases to puzzle the heck out of me :confused:

Night_Kitten
August 30th, 2010, 06:07 AM

:rollin: Those are too funny! Some people are just :crazyq:

When I had ear-lenght hairstyle - "Your face looks so rownd with your hair like that... You need to grow it out..."
Now (from the same person) - "Oh, I remember you looked soooo cute with that ear-length bob! You should cut your hair!" :disgust:

growingmyhair
August 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM
WHAT??? :confused: Wow.

Although I did have a friend who routinely bleached her hair just to get more volume. Then she told me "Don't ever dye yours, it's too pretty. It would end up just like mine." lol
a friend of mine colours her hair and PERMS it to make it dry because normally she has to wash it every day - it's pretty oily (and she's lazy)

Define "overgrown" please? :rolleyes:
where you don't need extensions anymore?;)

no, seriously, don't you get it? extensions are so IN, I mean, seriously, your natural hair is so OUT

Heidi_234
August 30th, 2010, 06:19 AM
One thing that absolutely baffled me while in school for cosmetology was that the girls would spend all day playing with thier hair, their friends, clients and dolls hair, but the second it's cut & hits the floor it's suddenly gross. Is it not the exact same hair that was attatched not one minute ago? How does the introduction of a sharp object suddenly make it gross?

Uh yeah, that always baffled me too. I just don't get it. :confused:

Nobody mentioned the classical one yet?

"You have to cut it to make it grow!"
There a grain of truth in there, because if hair is damaged enough, it breaks off and thins while growing, so it seems to "grow less". Trimming to a healthier point thus makes it feel like it suddenly grows faster.

Pumpkin
August 30th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I became so sick of hearing 'you should do this to your hair' i.e. cut your hair into this cut, you are too old for long hair, your natural color does not suit you, you should color your hair, etc. that I refuse to go to a salon, or even purchase beauty magazines anymore.

I also, became disgusted with feeling so bad about my appearance, "oh, there MUST be something wrong with me". So, I am just growing my old color out to my natural brown, and growing my hair to my waist. I am happy with myself.

luxepiggy
August 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Friend: I bet it takes forever to get your hair like that, huh?
Piggy: Actually, it grows out of my head this way . . . . :hmm:

2 weeks later:
Friend: what do you mean, you don't have a brush?? how did you do your hair then?
Piggy: I told you last time . . . it grows out of my head this way . . . !

note to self: purchase brush for use by overnight guests (^(oo)^)v

MissManda
August 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Friend: I bet it takes forever to get your hair like that, huh?
Piggy: Actually, it grows out of my head this way . . . . :hmm:

2 weeks later:
Friend: what do you mean, you don't have a brush?? how did you do your hair then?
Piggy: I told you last time . . . it grows out of my head this way . . . !

note to self: purchase brush for use by overnight guests (^(oo)^)v

LOL! This! Yes, I have had to explain to people that my hair is naturally straight so many times because they've asked what products I use or what flat iron I straightened with. ^.^

MsBubbles
August 30th, 2010, 07:00 PM
but not to let it get too "overgrown," because that will make me look disheveled.
:

Good grief, "disheveled" has been in since Brigitte Bardot (http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2009-08-20-RZ_PERSONALSTYLEBrigitteBardot.jpg)! Seems like all the magazines want us to look disheveled, like we just got out of bed. As a flat-haired, I notice this.:rolleyes:

This thread is hilarious!

A hair stylist once told me that (bleach blonde) highlights would better condition my hair! Huh?!

Another one that makes me snort - first heard it 30 years ago as a confused flat-haired 13 year old sent to the salon by my exasperated Mother.

Stylist: "dry your hair with a round brush ((Shudder!)), so you can train the ends to go under".

What? Train the ends? So like, my hopelessly straight hair is gonna actually remember to curl under?! I'm sorry but once it comes in to a few droplets of outdoor humidity, it's going to switch back to straight again. The only thing I'm training here is my hands to curl the brush the right way.

I've heard people say this about 'training their bangs' to go one side or the other. Do the roots remember which way to send the hair? Mine don't! Every time I wash my hair, it's back to square one. If I don't make a part and hook the hair behind my ears, my hair would hang straight over my face like Cousin It.

Train my bangs...

TrudieCat
August 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM

That is so odd... had that as well :rolleyes:

I've had people tell me this a lot! It's just bizarre. :confused:

ArienEllariel
August 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Good grief, "disheveled" has been in since Brigitte Bardot (http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2009-08-20-RZ_PERSONALSTYLEBrigitteBardot.jpg)! Seems like all the magazines want us to look disheveled, like we just got out of bed. As a flat-haired, I notice this.:rolleyes:

A hair stylist once told me that (bleach blonde) highlights would better condition my hair! Huh?!

Another one that makes me snort - first heard it 30 years ago as a confused flat-haired 13 year old sent to the salon by my exasperated Mother.

Stylist: "dry your hair with a round brush ((Shudder!)), so you can train the ends to go under".

What? Train the ends? So like, my hopelessly straight hair is gonna actually remember to curl under?! I'm sorry but once it comes in to a few droplets of outdoor humidity, it's going to switch back to straight again. The only thing I'm training here is my hands to curl the brush the right way.

I've heard people say this about 'training their bangs' to go one side or the other. Do the roots remember which way to send the hair? Mine don't! Every time I wash my hair, it's back to square one. If I don't make a part and hook the hair behind my ears, my hair would hang straight over my face like Cousin It.

Train my bangs...

Actually, my hair is so used to being parted to the left that my hair around my forehead has started growing that way. When I try to part it in the middle, even if it's damp first, my hair near my widow's peak gets all wonky and sticks straight up or tries to bend over in the direction I usually wear it. Maybe it's just me?

missjessiecakes
August 30th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Actually, my hair is so used to being parted to the left that my hair around my forehead has started growing that way. When I try to part it in the middle, even if it's damp first, my hair near my widow's peak gets all wonky and sticks straight up or tries to bend over in the direction I usually wear it. Maybe it's just me?

Nope mine does it too. My part is so ingrained that it naturally falls that way now rather than in the center part that I had from 3 to 10.

Konstifik
August 30th, 2010, 11:22 PM
There a grain of truth in there, because if hair is damaged enough, it breaks off and thins while growing, so it seems to "grow less". Trimming to a healthier point thus makes it feel like it suddenly grows faster.

Oh yes, I am well aware of that. But I mean those who actually say (and mean) cut, not trim. :)

growingmyhair
August 31st, 2010, 02:12 AM
Seems like all the magazines want us to look disheveled, like we just got out of bed.
no, wait, don't all the magazines want us to look flat-ironed?)))

LittleOrca
August 31st, 2010, 02:25 AM
"Long hair is too versatile. You need to cut it to do things with it."

Um, what?

ArienEllariel
August 31st, 2010, 02:25 AM
no, wait, don't all the magazines want us to look flat-ironed?)))

They shift back and forth. Perhapse we should do both? ;) *pictures half disheaveled bedhead look with half sleak flat-ironed hair* The amount of contradictions I see in magazines are rediculous. That's probably why I don't buy them anymore. That and I threw mainstream beauty out the window when I decided to grow my hair out. :D

Rebelkat
August 31st, 2010, 02:40 AM

Um, what?
My brain about completely shut down trying to figure that one out. DBF walked in, saw the look on my face, and told me to check my blood sugar. I explained that it wasn't my blood sugar, that it was something I read. I read that one to him and his response was, "They needed to check THEIR blood sugar.":rollin:

LittleOrca
August 31st, 2010, 02:43 AM
My brain about completely shut down trying to figure that one out. DBF walked in, saw the look on my face, and told me to check my blood sugar. I explained that it wasn't my blood sugar, that it was something I read. I read that one to him and his response was, "They needed to check THEIR blood sugar.":rollin:

lol. I have heard this from "Them" as well as my aunt in the past. Now I think she just ignores my hair, especially if I am wearing it up. It makes me think of that "People with long hair are hiding themselves" vs "People with long hair are craving attention." Sadly, some of the familial attention was negative and only when I started to "show off" my hair toys in different styles, did I become invisible and easily hidden in a crowd. :lol:

growingmyhair
August 31st, 2010, 03:00 AM
The amount of contradictions I see in magazines are rediculous.
I always perceived their advice as addressing different types of hair and style, they initially want to give advice to every woman, be really helpful, but they end up advising to severely damage one's hair on a daily basis

growingmyhair
August 31st, 2010, 03:04 AM
It makes me think of that "People with long hair are hiding themselves" vs "People with long hair are craving attention."
to be honest, this particular contradiction is not that much contradictory. people hide behind their hair because it feels protective, like a shield and people sometimes feel like they don't want others to figure out their feelings of stress, disappointment, grief or shame (I used to hide behind my hair when I blushed). but the same people may want to draw attention when they feel better about themselves and want to interact with people around. then they perceive their hair not as protective shield but a shining armour of a victorious warrior

LittleOrca
August 31st, 2010, 03:29 AM
to be honest, this particular contradiction is not that much contradictory. people hide behind their hair because it feels protective, like a shield and people sometimes feel like they don't want others to figure out their feelings of stress, disappointment, grief or shame (I used to hide behind my hair when I blushed). but the same people may want to draw attention when they feel better about themselves and want to interact with people around. then they perceive their hair not as protective shield but a shining armour of a victorious warrior

I never saw my hair as protective or something to hide behind, of course I never used it in a swooning-fan sort of way (girls who hide behind their fans when they blush and giggle) nor in an "I'm emo, leave me alone" or "Don't look at me, I'm shy" fashion. Nor is it an attention grabber. There have been times I want to show it off the same way another may want to show off their new outfit or something they are proud of so I have worn it down, but with so many "long hairs" in my area, waist to tail bone length hair is nothing out of the ordinary and therefore not a shimmering shield of a victorious warrior.

I understand your view, as I have read it many times in fashion magazines that wish to control women like puppets, but I do see a contradiction in the statements 1. "People with long hair are hiding themselves." and 2. "People with long hair are craving attention." being said by the same person or in the same printed material. Statement one wants women, in general, to cut off their hair to get the attention "they deserve" and to become more "free." Statement two wants women with long hair to cut it off to become more mainstream and blend into the crowd. Hello contradiction.

OtiggerificO
August 31st, 2010, 03:57 AM
I get the curly -brush it then poufyness- all the time. Thankfully not from my family, my Dad used to have long, curly hair too, if I had to deal with that at home, I'd have straightened it just for some peace and quiet.

The one I get a lot at the moment is 'Are you buying conditioner again? You're wasting your money buying that much' and 'You never use product, why don't you use x,y or z? It'll do wonders for you'

luxepiggy
August 31st, 2010, 04:19 AM
I always perceived their advice as addressing different types of hair and style, they initially want to give advice to every woman, be really helpful, but they end up advising to severely damage one's hair on a daily basis

that's why every few years they have to declare the pixie cut as the in look - so everyone can rid themselves of the damage en masse. it's like an industry-wide do-over ;)

growingmyhair
August 31st, 2010, 05:19 AM
Statement one wants women, in general, to cut off their hair to get the attention "they deserve" and to become more "free." Statement two wants women with long hair to cut it off to become more mainstream and blend into the crowd. Hello contradiction.
there is no contradiction - statement one wants women to blend in and follow fashion as well. women get attention because they simply change the way they look and they draw attention away as they become like everyone else and only a small close circle notices a woman changed her look (and they get used to the change within a day).
but it's still true that people hide behind their hair and boast with their hair. and it all can easily be true even for one and the same person

that's why every few years they have to declare the pixie cut as the in look - so everyone can rid themselves of the damage en masse. it's like an industry-wide do-over ;)
right)))

irishlady
August 31st, 2010, 05:28 AM
"You shouldn't have long hair, it makes your face look long."

"You should wear your hair longer, shorter hair wouldn't suit you."

From the same person. What do they want me to do, be bald?
I am not wearing my hair shoulder length like they want me to, it's an incredibly boring hairstyle for me.

MsBubbles
August 31st, 2010, 05:33 AM

Nope mine does it too. My part is so ingrained that it naturally falls that way now rather than in the center part that I had from 3 to 10.

Well good for both of y'all for having such well-behaved hair/roots! My hair is utterly hopeless. No matter how much I ever wanted any cowlick type thing or bangs direction, it always just grew dead straight downwards over my face. I'm amazed actually, ArienEllariel, that your hair/roots have actually started growing that way. Well you have a widow's peak so that may have something to do with it. I don't have anything but straight hair.

I had a center part for 30 years and went to a side part with no problems at all.

I guess my contradiction is a FAIL for others. But it's still a contradiction for me. I will never be able to train my hair into doing anything, unless it's beating it into submission with a perm.

Bonkers57
August 31st, 2010, 05:46 AM
My bangs (and the rest of my hair) are pretty stupid. They can't be trained ;)

Now the ends will turn under when I use a round brush and I can get my bangs to poof a bit, but it's only temporary until my hair gets wet again.

Train my bangs...

Bonkers57
August 31st, 2010, 05:53 AM
I think if you keep parting your hair in the middle (if that's what you want) then keep doing it. Eventually it will settle into that pattern, just as it set into the side part after you were 10 :) When I change my part, it actually makes my hair look fuller for a while, but soon settles into that position and is it's usual flat self :D

Bonkers57
August 31st, 2010, 06:00 AM
Too versatile? lol!!! Then they go on to say 'cut it so you can do things with it.' I think they should look 'versatile' up in the dictionary!

Um, what?

halo_tightens
August 31st, 2010, 06:38 AM

:hmm:.... That's it! That totally explains everything!! :agree:

Henrietta
August 31st, 2010, 06:49 AM
"There's no point in growing your hair. When you have babies you will have to cut it short anyways."

"Don't grow it long. Soon you will non be a teenager and you will look ridiculous with long hair."

Oh, really?

MissManda
August 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM
"There's no point in growing your hair. When you have babies you will have to cut it short anyways."

"Don't grow it long. Soon you will non be a teenager and you will look ridiculous with long hair."

Oh, really?

"But women with long hair look like teenagers!"

lol

XcaliburGirl
August 31st, 2010, 01:37 PM
They shift back and forth. Perhapse we should do both? ;) *pictures half disheaveled bedhead look with half sleak flat-ironed hair* The amount of contradictions I see in magazines are rediculous. That's probably why I don't buy them anymore. That and I threw mainstream beauty out the window when I decided to grow my hair out. :D
Ha, that makes me think of this ad for Newcastle brown ale. (scroll down, it's after the puffer fish)
http://www.behance.net/gallery/newcastle-brown-ale/191532

cmnt831
August 31st, 2010, 02:37 PM

Lol! My niece was sporting that look on Sunday. Sleek and straight in front and on the sides - big and frizzy in the back. She's 2, so it wasn't on purpose, but we couldn't figure out why her hair was doing that....

maria_asa
September 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM
From a hair dresser:
"This dye is actually good for the hair and will cause no damage"

Same hair dresser a few month later:
"You need to start deep conditioning your hair, it's so damaged from the dye"

Bonkers57
September 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
She won't make any money if you don't cut your hair and get extensions. That is the motive of the beauty industry, whether they're telling you to cut, color, straighten, or whatever.

Love the Newcastle Brown Ale ad - I think I've woken up with my hair like that a few times! :laugh:

Wanderer09
September 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
"Curly hair is so ugly and messy!"

And then for special occasions they get their hair curled at the salon. Huh?

frost pattern
September 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
I must admit - that was one of the reasons why I had highlights for more than 20 years. Due to the damage the hairstyling with a blow dryer works better. Really. I'm so happy I'm done with that short haircut!

Back to topic:
"If you put your hair up always there's no need to grow it" :rolleyes:.
"For wearing hair toys" is the answer that usually will stop the discussion :D. Well, that's true, but it's not the whole story ;).

charalito
September 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM

Hehehe, that's exactly right! And a year after pixie cuts are the in look, they pick long locks, so everybody has to go in for extensions... Crazy marketing world.

MissManda
September 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
From a hair dresser:
"This dye is actually good for the hair and will cause no damage"

Same hair dresser a few month later:
"You need to start deep conditioning your hair, it's so damaged from the dye"

Oh yes, I've gotten similar advice. My hairstylist told me the dye was good for my hair but I needed to buy some kind of moisturizing product. Uh-huh, right.

growingmyhair
September 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
"Curly hair is so ugly and messy!"

And then for special occasions they get their hair curled at the salon. Huh?
right! this always made me go 'what???' actually, the probably mean that naturally curly is terrible but straight and curled artificially is sophisticated.:(

LadyLongLocks
September 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM

Exactly! Well said! Made me smile and cringe at the same time, a contradiction in itself!