http://a.imageshack.us/img155/6489/dscf7698smallu.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img192/3793/dscf7696small.jpg

What do you make of that?

Bene
August 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Looks like you've started your own tribble farm :bigeyes:

smileycat
August 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Is that more than normal if you add up all the strands we lose per day? I am wondering if you notice an overall loss in thickness.

I have to admit, the first thing that popped into my mind is sending it off to a spinner to make some yarn! I used to knit, and I did come across a woman in my knitting days that would spin dog hair into yarn.

Pierre
August 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
It looks more than mine, but mine is in tight bundles which I used as rats a previous winter. I have three rats, one of which is still in the shower.

Addy
August 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
:agape: :agape: :agape: :agape:

Aredhel77
August 29th, 2010, 07:20 AM
And...er...oh my goodness...sorry... you have both kept your shed hair WHY...?:confused:

(written thusly for effect - but I am genuinely curious ;))

That is a LOT of hair!

I lose more than a small handful daily but fortunately my hair doesn't seem to be thinning overmuch. However, my vacuum cleaner is rather clogged... :cool: Pets...? who needs them...? I shed at least as much as an Old English Sheepdog! (My mum cheered when I finally left home - not because of my (then) newly-gained independence but because she now had less hoovering to do...) :thud:

Arianwen
August 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
No offense but EWWWWWWWW OMG!!!

I can't stand even the little bit of hair I lose everyday (in the shower) cause it sticks to my skin and yeccch. I have no idea why shed hair disgusts me.

bumblebums
August 29th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hmm, looks like what I pull out of my dog daily during her spring shed :)

Arianwen
August 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
^ LOL my dog sheds so much it made me wish I could spin fibre and make him a sweater of his own fur lol.

squiggyflop
August 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM
well i think i may actually shed more than you.. so i dont think you have to worry

and i do agree it looks like a tribble farm

Sammich
August 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Is that more than normal if you add up all the strands we lose per day? I am wondering if you notice an overall loss in thickness.

I have to admit, the first thing that popped into my mind is sending it off to a spinner to make some yarn! I used to knit, and I did come across a woman in my knitting days that would spin dog hair into yarn.

That is very cool. :D

Also, what you did was very cool. I wouldn't have the patience to really collect all of my hair like that, and I'd be icked by it unless I had something pretty to put it in and it was freshly washed hair I collected! :p

growingmyhair
August 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I join the question asked above - why did you keep it? I mean, it's cool to see you much you lost in a year but it's not like each of us has such a reference...
btw I shed much hair as well, today I'm trying to count how much I'm losing per day cause I know 50 hairs is normal and I've always suspected I might be losing more so I need to check this now. one hair lost so far.

clichepithet
August 29th, 2010, 09:13 AM
For those wondering, as Pierre said, you can use them as Rats, which are simply hair-pieces. You put them under your (attached) hair to give lift or a shape that hides perfectly... since it's your hair.

Also, if you dye or etc, etc you use them for strand testing.

You can also use them to freak people out.

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Shed hair tweaks me out, too; I'd never think of saving them. All I could think when I saw the picture was "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww; make it stop!"

cindy58
August 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
You really do know how to capture the attention around here!

Aredhel77
August 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
For those wondering, as Pierre said, you can use them as Rats, which are simply hair-pieces. You put them under your (attached) hair to give lift or a shape that hides perfectly... since it's your hair.

Also, if you dye or etc, etc you use them for strand testing.

You can also use them to freak people out.

Clearly!! :D Not heard of the rats thing before. Or Tribbles. I had to Google that one. Oh, you Trekkies!! :rolleyes: sighs... ;) lol.

bumblebums
August 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
^ LOL my dog sheds so much it made me wish I could spin fibre and make him a sweater of his own fur lol.

I actually know a family that had a collie, and their grandma made sweaters, socks, and so on out of the fur. They didn't look too comfortable to me, but it sure is thrifty!

On that same note, OP, maybe you could sell that hair to a monastery--I am sure they could use more material for all those cilices...

Arianwen
August 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
That *is* thrifty. Dang!

PLH
August 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Why did I keep it? Just to see how much it amounted to, I guess.

bumblebums
August 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Seriously, though, it's the kind of thing I can imagine myself doing, just out of curiosity. I actually had a hair ball in a ziploc baggie that contained 6 months' worth of shed. But I started worrying that one of my house guests might come upon it and freak out, and so I threw it out.

Bene
August 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Seriously, though, it's the kind of thing I can imagine myself doing, just out of curiosity. I actually had a hair ball in a ziploc baggie that contained 6 months' worth of shed. But I started worrying that one of my house guests might come upon it and freak out, and so I threw it out.

If I accidentally came across someone's baggie of hair, I'd look at them askance. I wouldn't say anything, but somewhere in the back of my head I'd wonder about what else they're collecting.

I just remembered I saw a site where this dude had collected his belly button lint in jars. Organized by color of the lint. When you think about it, it means that he examined every bit of fluff to determine the shade so he could store it properly. After seeing that, a shed hair collection doesn't seem quite so bad.

trillcat
August 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM
This is what I have pulled off my brush in around one year :cool:

I can make a broach, or a hat, or a pterodactyl...
What an incredibly odd and a bit yucky thing to do, saving your shed hair like that, I like you! Welcome to TLHC!

bumblebums
August 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM
If I accidentally came across someone's baggie of hair, I'd look at them askance. I wouldn't say anything, but somewhere in the back of my head I'd wonder about what else they're collecting.

I just remembered I saw a site where this dude had collected his belly button lint in jars. Organized by color of the lint. When you think about it, it means that he examined every bit of fluff to determine the shade so he could store it properly. After seeing that, a shed hair collection doesn't seem quite so bad.

Hahaha, thanks for that story! Now I feel comparatively normal :)

I don't spend too much time worrying about what people think about my weirdnesses, but the hairball might have just given someone a heart attack. Those things look like small dead animals. I wouldn't want to accidentally cause someone to die an untimely death with one of my hair experiments.

Bene
August 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I can make a broach, or a hat, or a pterodactyl...

................... and now I NEED to watch Airplane! Thanks.

Hahaha, thanks for that story! Now I feel comparatively normal

I don't spend too much time worrying about what people think about my weirdnesses, but the hairball might have just given someone a heart attack. Those things look like small dead animals. I wouldn't want to accidentally cause someone to die an untimely death with one of my hair experiments.

I was thinking more along the lines of Norman Bates/ taxidermy-ish tendencies :D

trillcat
August 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
................... and now I NEED to watch Airplane! Thanks.

I was thinking more along the lines of Norman Bates/ taxidermy-ish tendencies :D

I was thinking more Howard Hughes.
*goes off to protect bag of toenail clippings*
Its not weird, is it?

ETA:

Looking at the pics again, it looks like what would happen getting rid of dreds. It looks matted. How is that hair from a brush?
Is the new guy playing a prank on us?

Thinthondiel
August 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Looking at the pics again, it looks like what would happen getting rid of dreds. It looks matted. How is that hair from a brush?

When I remove hair from my round BBB, it's always matted. It doesn't look quite like the hair in the picture, though.

Bene
August 29th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I was thinking more Howard Hughes.
*goes off to protect bag of toenail clippings*
Its not weird, is it?

Only if the toenail clippings are stored on the same shelf as the dated and color-sorted pee jars. :D

trillcat
August 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Only if the toenail clippings are stored on the same shelf as the dated and color-sorted pee jars. :D

OOooo I hate it when my clippings get cross contaminated by the pee jars, it freaks out my earwax collection.

Aredhel77
August 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM
OOooo I hate it when my clippings get cross contaminated by the pee jars, it freaks out my earwax collection.

LOL @ trillcat - and just when I thought this thread couldn't get any weirder...:D

restourceful
August 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM

This is what I'm wondering, too, trillcat. And it looks like what comes off my vacuum cleaner beater bar about once a month around here between me and the two shedding dogs and shedding cat.

Purdy Bear
August 29th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I wonder if you can spin human hair! I know you can dogs hair over 2 inches in length. You have me thinking now - I wonder if it would knit up warm!

Debra83
August 29th, 2010, 02:19 PM
...hmmmmmmm.....pretty strange!

Toadstool
August 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I wonder if you can spin human hair! I know you can dogs hair over 2 inches in length. You have me thinking now - I wonder if it would knit up warm!

:eyebrows:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/03/25/human-hair-clothing/

chopandchange
August 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Oooooh, I'd love to have someone knit me a jumper out of my own hair! Can you imagine?

Right, maybe I'd better start saving hair...I wonder how much you'd need for a jumper? Years and years worth! LOL!

restourceful
August 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Umm...Toadstool, you might want to put a note in your previous post that your link is NSFW. :o

PrincessBob
August 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I would make a creepy wreath to hang on my door at yule.

triumphator!
August 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Umm...Toadstool, you might want to put a note in your previous post that your link is NSFW. :o

Definitely :rolleyes:

That and the OP's picture are making me feel icky. No offense to the OP, of course, I guess I am only not grossed out by my own clumps of hair...

christine1989
August 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
What I get out of my cat's brush in a week could top that eaisly ;).

trillcat
August 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I still call BS on this.
Nice try tough. A+ for the gross out factor.

wvgemini
August 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I have wondered what I could get out of my brushes but never actually done it.

But ... oh geez. I was laughing so hard at the comments that DBF thought I'd lost my mind! Tribbles!

SilvraShadows
August 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM

hmmm, :suspect:

urara12
August 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
This is what I have pulled off my brush in around one year :cool:

http://a.imageshack.us/img155/6489/dscf7698smallu.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img192/3793/dscf7696small.jpg

wow!!
all from only brush? not including from washing??
do you shed more by brushing? or washing?

make hat? baseball hat !like a felt finished.

MandyBeth
August 29th, 2010, 11:24 PM
For spinning hair, it'd depend on condition and texture. Pyr hair is a dream to spin, Golden is too silky to twist and spin well. Yes I've done that. Knitting is normal, it handles like any natural fiber.

sarah061
August 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Oh my gosh!! It looks like so much when you see it all at once like that. Makes me kind of surprised that the majority of my hair stays *in* instead of all coming out and having a head of tiny baby hairs.

evampr18
August 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Do you think there is anything living in that farm of hair? Haha I think I'll start my own collection, but if my mother comes across it she will smack me across the face with my pet dog.

P.S. That IS a pretty sweet collection.

Purdy Bear
August 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks Chop&Change and Mandybeth for the knitting information.

Marjolein
August 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Haha, why on earth would one be freaked out by hair? Why would shed hair be anymore disgusting than hair that's still attached to a head? I think I'll save my own hair and knit some warm undies. Then the carpet truly matches the drapes. :eyebrows:

(:tmi: Did I say that? Noooo, can't be.)

Phexlyn
August 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Looks like you've started your own tribble farm :bigeyes:
I think you should wash those, your tribbles are not all fluffy anymore as they're supposed to be... :p

Actually this looks more like wool than like hair, it is matted so much (no offense, of course this can happen depending on storage).

hmmm
August 30th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I didn't think human hair could look like that...