PDA

View Full Version : What lightened my hair?

chopandchange
August 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM
My hair was feeling kind of dry due to a recent shampooing, so I made some of my "Hair Fudge."

It's a bit like SMT. It had:

conditioner
aloe vera gel
olive oil
black treacle

I had it on for a few hours yesterday, and today I've noticed it's a few tones lighter. (My natural hair is brown with blonder patches.) All of the ingredients were things I've used in the past, and I've never noticed it lightening my hair before.

I'm wondering if it will go away, or if it's permanent, and what caused it. Hopefully it will go away, because I really like the deeper darker tones of the underneath part of my hair. :(

I'm thinking that either A. it's bleached it somehow, or B. it has stripped away some build-up that I didn't know was there, and consequently it looks lighter, or C. maybe it has left some build-up behind, that is making it look lighter. I suppose only time will tell.

What do you all think?

Bene
August 29th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I don't think any of the ingredients you used have any bleaching properties, so I'm guessing either options B or C.

bunnii
August 29th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I can;t see anything that would lighten. I know olive oil can, but I thought that was when combined with honey. Is your hair dyed, I think olive oil can pull dye out although i'm not sure.

I also think lighteneing is a permanent thing, i'm sure I read that here.

I really am no help, sorry :(

chopandchange
August 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. No, my hair's not dyed. I've been painstakingly growing out bleach highlights for years, and now it's all virgin save for a tiny bit of bleach left on the ends.

Edit: kind of ironic that I used to want my dark hair to be blonde, and used to bleach it. Now I've got my dark hair back and learned to love it and accept it, I'm upset that it's been lightened! LOL

Chiara
August 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I find my hair often looks lighter after a conventional SMT too. I thought that could be the honey... but it is really not on my hair for that long. I am also stumped!