PDA

View Full Version : My experience at the mall.

Eniratak
August 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
So today, my mother and I took a little trip to the mall to do a bit of shopping. As we're on the bottom floor going directly to one of my favorite stores, I was stopped by a man who instantly complimented my hair and asked me what I did to it. So I told him I mostly leave it down and sometimes put it up in hairsticks.

He nodded and smiled before he turned to his cart and said 'Well come over here and let me show you something that will make your hair soft and shiny.' I glanced around him to find a flat iron staring me down. I, of course, kindly told him I wasn't interested and happened to catch a glimpse of the poor girl on the other side who was getting her hair done.

Just thought it was interesting. Anyone else have any experiences such as this?

Gvnagitlvgei
August 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM
He certainly was trying to use you as free advertising lol! Imagine the women who would have come running to buy a flat iron if they could have hair as beautiful. Thing is, after those flat irons everyday, nobody would have soft and shiny hair anymore.

TinaDenali
August 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, I just hate those guys/gals in the mall at their little kiosks that yell to you to come over and try their crap. I'm sorry if any of you LHC'ers work at one of those kiosks, but I am just so socially inept that I just cannot handle them yelling to me like that.

I always just look away and walk faster... But if someone approached me and I wasn't aware they were from one of those kiosks I would have kindly told them about my hair. And as soon as they mentioned something about flat irons or crap products or pony tail extensions or WHATEVER I would turn and run the other way. Really, I would. In fact, I had someone approach me in a store once and ask me how I was doing and then push me to get their store 'credit card' and even after I politely said no to them a few times and they kept asking, I just turned on my heel and walked straight away from them. I hang up on telemarketers mid sentence, too. I just cannot handle the social part of telling people to BACK OFF!

So, that's what works for me :)

sarah061
August 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The people at those kiosks bother me too - I try and be friendly towards them, but I just really don't do well in situations where I have to say no to people. Especially with people who are so persistent.

I've never seen any of them selling hair straighteners though! It must have been a special kind or else I can't imagine them selling very many of them, not when you can just go to Target.

I bet that man would have loved to have your gorgeous to showcase his product - good for you for telling him no!

UltraBella
August 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I hate this kiosks as well !! One time a lady stopped me and asked me to try her fake hair ponytails that clip over your bun. First of all, my bun is huge !! No clip is going to fit over it. Second, my hair is at hip and very thick, why would I be interested in her fake clip on ponytail ??!!??!?

Eniratak
August 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
He certainly was trying to use you as free advertising lol! Imagine the women who would have come running to buy a flat iron if they could have hair as beautiful. Thing is, after those flat irons everyday, nobody would have soft and shiny hair anymore.

XD. As an ex-user of flat irons, I certainly agree.

Thank you for the compliment!

Oh, I just hate those guys/gals in the mall at their little kiosks that yell to you to come over and try their crap. I'm sorry if any of you LHC'ers work at one of those kiosks, but I am just so socially inept that I just cannot handle them yelling to me like that.

I always just look away and walk faster... But if someone approached me and I wasn't aware they were from one of those kiosks I would have kindly told them about my hair. And as soon as they mentioned something about flat irons or crap products or pony tail extensions or WHATEVER I would turn and run the other way. Really, I would. In fact, I had someone approach me in a store once and ask me how I was doing and then push me to get their store 'credit card' and even after I politely said no to them a few times and they kept asking, I just turned on my heel and walked straight away from them. I hang up on telemarketers mid sentence, too. I just cannot handle the social part of telling people to BACK OFF!

So, that's what works for me :)

If he would have kept asking, I probably would have turned around and walked away. Thankfully I didn't have to go through that ordeal.

Although, I do hang up on telemarketers quite frequently. XD.

The people at those kiosks bother me too - I try and be friendly towards them, but I just really don't do well in situations where I have to say no to people. Especially with people who are so persistent.

I've never seen any of them selling hair straighteners though! It must have been a special kind or else I can't imagine them selling very many of them, not when you can just go to Target.

I bet that man would have loved to have your gorgeous to showcase his product - good for you for telling him no!

They were a bit strange. They were multicolored, which I've never seen before, but then again I don't usually go around looking at flat irons. XD.

And thank you for the compliment. He did seem quite downhearted when I told him no.

I hate this kiosks as well !! One time a lady stopped me and asked me to try her fake hair ponytails that clip over your bun. First of all, my bun is huge !! No clip is going to fit over it. Second, my hair is at hip and very thick, why would I be interested in her fake clip on ponytail ??!!??!?

First they want to thin out thick hair and now they want to add to it. XD. I've never been asked about anything hair related before. Usually the people from those carts are asking if they can buff and polish my nails.

triumphator!
August 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I've seen those, they literally chase people down and use their "magic" on them for the rest of the mall patrons to see. I even once saw some guy tell a woman my age that he could "fix" her hair for her right on the spot, and she was so offended that he had implied that there was something wrong with it...

christine1989
August 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm lucky enough to live near a kiosk free mall so I can go about my shopping un bothered. Just think of it as an offbeat compliment- he wanted someone with beautiful hair seen buying his product. :)

LittleOrca
August 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I used to get pestered by kiosk people as well. I even once said to a woman who was trying to flat iron my hair, loudly so others around me could hear, "No thanks, I don't want to boil the moisture out of my hair." and walked off, much to the embarrassment of my sister. :)

Now it has come down to when I go to the mall I always bring a hair toy. Be it a ficcare or a stick, there is always one in my purse. Upon reaching what I call "Hair Death Row" where all the hair kiosks are (since they are relatively in the same location in the local mall) I put my hair up in a quick bun and I have noticed that I am not as easy a target then. The girls with their hair down are snatched up like pieces of chum at a shark party, but women with their hair up tend to get ignored. Part of me hopes that they are either kind enough to know that a woman with her hair up will not want to take it down OR that so many women with hair up refused to take down their styles that they just stopped asking.

JenniferNoel
August 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I always just buzz by the kiosk people and never, ever make eye contact. Ever. I usually walk fast and seem busy anyways so nobody ever bothers me.

LittleOrca
August 29th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Another thing that works with them is if you have your cell phone, pretend to be talking on it and it. :D Done that one before too, that one especially works with the cell phone or other kiosks.

aksown
August 29th, 2010, 12:16 AM
"No thanks, I don't want to boil the moisture out of my hair."
Yep, that's what I would do too. There aren't any big malls in the town where I live so I've never experienced this and I REALLY hope we never get one. I'm sorry y'all are harassed while you try to do your shopping. Now that I think about it, I'd probably scream in someone's face to stop harassing me and leave me alone. I don't know if it would work but I hate being cornered by pushy people.

ArienEllariel
August 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've seen those, they literally chase people down and use their "magic" on them for the rest of the mall patrons to see. I even once saw some guy tell a woman my age that he could "fix" her hair for her right on the spot, and she was so offended that he had implied that there was something wrong with it...

How awful! :rant: These people annoy me most of the time but seriously? Do they think offending people is going to get them to buy their product?

Joliebaby
August 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM
We have those too recently.. I just smile and say no thanks, or if I'm actually in a middle of a conversation with someone that they are interrupting, I smile and shake my head.

There are also people trying to get you to sign a gym membership, coming to ask "where do you work out?" as we are walking, pushing our babies in strollers. Yeah, it's clever, not "do you work out?", but WHERE. Like it's not even a question if one works out or not, I mean who wouldn't, you'd be a total loser right? It's supposed to make me feel bad and ashamed that I don't, and join their gym.

Cupofmilk
August 29th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I am sure they thought you had wonderful hair and thought it would be great advertising. Last year in the run up to Christmas, my husband and I and our 3 children went shopping. My hair was 40 inches long approx and braided. Well I was approached 4 times in less than half an hour to have my hair curled at this stand in the shopping centre/mall. This woman was practically begging me to have it done. She offered me money off the curling machine they were trying to sell. No thank you!

Chrissy
August 29th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Eeww!!! For some reason this creeps me out. Yuck!

Beatnik Guy
August 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Yeah, it's best not to get into conversation with mall merchants. :wink:

Your hair at his booth may have been good for business though. :thud:

noelgirl
August 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Luckily, the mall I work at doesn't have those kiosks, but outside on the street we have what I call the "can I ask you a question about your hair" guys. They work for a salon nearby and they're selling some intro package of services - well, I'm really not much of a "pampering" kinda gal, it's all a lot of poking and prodding to me. So I usually say I'm in a hurry (which is often true), but occasionally I bust out the "I don't really like talking about my hair" (said like "I don't really like talking about my flair").

One time I went to a different mall with my sister the day after Thanksgiving, and they had the kiosks there. I was on my way to go meet up with her in a store when a girl from one of the kiosks came up to me and grabbed my hands and asked if she could look at them. Um, I think you already are. She then gasped at the "signs of aging" on them and tried to drag me over to a microscope to show me what a damaged specimen I am. Bear in mind, I was all of 24 at the time, not a wrinkle to be found. I pulled myself free and said that I had to go. Again, truth.

I work in retail too, so I understand trying to make a sale, but that is NOT the way to do it. Walking into a store is one thing, because that usually indicates some interest in the product, but if you're walking past and deliberately not seeking out the product, I find it disrespectful to grab someone and push it on them.

Teakafrog
August 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Those things literally GROSS ME OUT! :tmi::brains::poop: How many nasty people's heads' full of lice and bedbugs and who knows what else have those flat irons been in, then they wanna stick them in MY HAIR?!?!?!?!shudder::run:

ScarlettAdelle
August 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I went to cosmetology school with a ton of short haired girls. One of the common practices was to find "swatches" which was hair that was cut, which they would then collect in order to use for color formulation class. I had my hair about waist length. The other girls always used to ask me for snips of my hair so that they wouldn't have to go find swatches (requests I always denied).

One day I made the mistake of trying to help a friend with her interview near the end of her term. I told her she could trim two inches off the end of my hair. She took 6, and told me it was no big deal and that it looked better now, anyway. After that point, she and I were no longer friends.

The teachers also used to love to seek me out and ask me if they could demonstrate cuts on me. The cuts they were asking to demonstrate were without fail chin length cuts with (in my opinion) stupid looking "tails" in the front.

At one point I had someone call me selfish and closed-minded because I wouldn't allow my classmates to experiment on the hair I had worked so long to obtain.

Whenever I'm at the mall, I constantly get approached by kiosk workers asking to do something to my hair, skin or nails. I've taken to wearing the my earphones whenever I go to the mall, usually not plugged in, just with the plug in my pocket, so that I can pretend I don't hear them.

I've also taken to wearing my hair up in a bun so that it looks like it's about shoulder length and people leave me alone.

I am, the Avoidant Ninja. *makes karate-chop motions at imaginary kiosk workers*

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I almost made one of those people cry once. A couple years ago my spouse worked at the mall. I never heat-style my hair, so I thought I would allow her to try her hair magic on me. It was a flat Iron that supposedly magically curled anybody's hair. I warned her that my hair never curled, but she assured me that I would never say that again. After three passes she began to look absolutely frantic and changed out the iron, saying that the first one was new, so it might be defective, and she pulled out her trusty well-used one to no avail. after using three irons she was stuttering and repeating..."but it works on everybody's hair... everybody's..." I could almost see the tears welling up in her eyes and could tell she really believed in her product, which I had just proven a complete failure.
I would feel sorry for her, but it was so darned funny.

lastnite
August 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM

I always just look away and walk faster... But if someone approached me and I wasn't aware they were from one of those kiosks I would have kindly told them about my hair. And as soon as they mentioned something about flat irons or crap products or pony tail extensions or WHATEVER I would turn and run the other way.

lol...I hate them too and try to walk faster and avoid contact..haha! I think I would feel bad though if someone said I have nice hair and then I find out they are just trying to sell something. :mad: anyway, sometimes you really do just have to run away, cause some of them won't take 'no thank you' for an answer.

Sundial
August 30th, 2010, 02:11 AM
!!!!!

I feel mad on your behalf! I'm proud of you for being strong enough not to cave in even with all that pressure being put on you!!

Years back when I had my hair longer, I accompanied a friend who wanted to get a cheap hair color done at a hair academy and the trainer wanted to demonstrate a cut on my hair. I was too young (I think I was only 16 or 17?) to take a firm stand and eventually let him cut my hair. He was cajoling me and telling me that he will only take 1-2 inches off, and the trainees were shooting me dirty looks for refusing to act as a hair model.

Big mistake. He put in tons of layers in my hair and gave me really short bangs. My shortest layer was probably about 2.5 inches. Now that I'm older (and hopefully wiser), I always try to stay firm when other people suggest I do things that I would not like done to my hair.

wvgemini
August 30th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Oh I hate those places:mad: I've gotten the "I can fix those curls for you" and one chick practically chasing me down the mall trying to get me to use her hand cream. Blech.

rags
August 30th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I hate the kiosk people! Luckily, there aren't any right now at our local mall, but if I go to the larger one about 1.5 hours away, they are everywhere!

I do the avoiding thing - do not look, do not look - at the flat iron guys and I have my hair up, so they don't usually bother me. The one that happened to me was for hair toys. She had some really pretty combs, and I stopped to look. She reached up and took my hairstick out! and then grabbed my hair and twisted it into a French twist before I could move. It's too bad - the combs were very pretty.

Carolyn
August 30th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I do the avoiding thing - do not look, do not look - at the flat iron guys and I have my hair up, so they don't usually bother me. The one that happened to me was for hair toys. She had some really pretty combs, and I stopped to look. She reached up and took my hairstick out! and then grabbed my hair and twisted it into a French twist before I could move. It's too bad - the combs were very pretty.I like looking at the hair toys in those particular kiosks but I don't want a demo every time. I wait until the salesperson is occupied with someone else and then do a little quick looking. I've bought a few things from those places. The flat iron people always bother me at the MOA. One time I had to say very loudly "just what does NO mean?" after having said no I'm not interested twice. Next time I might start yelling "SECURITY" if they persist after the first no :p

Jean Stuart
August 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
XD. As an ex-user of flat irons, I certainly agree.

Thank you for the compliment!

If he would have kept asking, I probably would have turned around and walked away. Thankfully I didn't have to go through that ordeal.

Although, I do hang up on telemarketers quite frequently. XD.

They were a bit strange. They were multicolored, which I've never seen before, but then again I don't usually go around looking at flat irons. XD.

And thank you for the compliment. He did seem quite downhearted when I told him no.

First they want to thin out thick hair and now they want to add to it. XD. I've never been asked about anything hair related before. Usually the people from those carts are asking if they can buff and polish my nails.

I hate those guys though i have to say the first time they approached me they just grabbed my hand and started polishing. realy hard(ouch) but i was impressed so i went to sallys and bought myself a nail buffer.

Viechen
August 30th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I personally only got ambushed by a hair kiosk person once and he was SUPER persistent and obnoxious. I kept telling him that I dont have time and money for flat irons and hair dryers and he kept pushing how fast and inexpensive his stuff was. The iron was $300!! I know thats really not a whole lot for some of those things but I really dont have that sort of money where I am in my third year of university and have another 5 to go... He didnt even back off then...
When he insisted on showing me how they worked I played along for a little bit to make him happy but then I told him to back off when I had enough... My poor hair had to get a trim after his agressive ironing :(

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 07:10 AM
The mauls around here are the open-air type so I don't have to deal with this baloney, but where I used to live, the local maul (near my college) was full of dang kiosks. I wore an iPod 99% of the time which works like a charm to keep obnoxious salespeople from annoying me. If that failed I simply would say "No" and walk away.

If any of them dared to touch my hair or my person without my person I would have gone ballistic though....I do not tolerate unwanted touchings of me.

wvgemini
August 30th, 2010, 07:17 AM
She had some really pretty combs, and I stopped to look. She reached up and took my hairstick out! and then grabbed my hair and twisted it into a French twist before I could move.

Chick might have lost an arm on that one. Or gotten reported for assault.

Ravenwaves 88
August 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
This concept of not being the only one who speed walks by looking busy for the kiosk strip is hilarious. Are most ppl like this? Aside from little orca no one else here decided to fight back....lol. I would have laughed histerically to see their faces when you said that :)

Miasen
August 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM
This is why I always have my headphones on when out walking in the city. There's always people wanting to sell me this kind of omega3 supplement thing, and they are so pushy! Headphones on, no eyecontact, walk briskly by-it's the only thing that'll work on them. :p

jeanniet
August 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hmmm, I haven't really been at a mall for a few years now--we live about 15 miles away from the nearest one, and malls were never my thing, anyway. Now I know I have a really good reason to stay away!

Bast
August 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM
The malls I used to go to, it was actually illegal for the kiosk owners to approach anybody, the customer had to go to them first. One time one of the kiosk workers hadn't gotten the memo and tried to approach me...I promptly reported them to the customer service people at the mall. I had a friend who worked in a store there who told me that a kiosk could actually get banned from the mall if they got too many complaints about approaching customers!

I get needing to sell your product and make money, but personally, getting approached like that pushes me into a near-panic attack.

aries
August 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
My 16 year old daughter who has gorgeous 3c hair got attacked by these people when I wasn't around. She was 14 at the time and was shopping with her brother while dad and I had a coffee in the food court. She wound up buying one and I couldn't get her to stop using it. 2 years later, her tailbone length hair is just at shoulder blade. She has slowed way down on the use of the darn thing but these people make me angry. I didn't know she even had it til we got home and the mall is an hour away.

These people try to approach me and I tell the directly to "BACK OFF and not try to even get near us with them"! They continue and I continue walking shaking my head the entire time I'm walking away.

Those people drive me insane.

Prettyeyes23
August 31st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Oh kiosk people! Before I had discovered the LHC and read the amazing information on this site, I was actually talked into letting a kiosker use a flat iron on my hair.

It was about two years ago in Edmonton, AB at the West Edmonton Mall, when a woman approached me and complimented on the size of my bun. She said that she would really like to see my hair down and show me how amazing this certain flat iron was. I thought I might as well let her, so I took out my bun and she started. She had finished about 1/4 of my hair, and I asked her to stop. Even though I love my hair straightened, I knew that my hair was being damaged because I suddenly had about 25 strands of hair hanging down in front of my face, which I had never noticed before she had ironed my hair. I immediately knew that stupid iron had damaged my hair!

growing2shine
August 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Im personally like LittleOrca but not as good at saying cool things like she is. I just put the :angry: face on. But I really think that it must be a very hard job being that kind of salesman. Im a quite happy person but im very sensitive, so it would just make me depressed in a few days.:hmm:

swanns
August 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm so socially inept I just try to walk by as quickly as possible. No one has ever even tried to approach me so I must be very good at sulking :D I'm not even THAT opposed to flat-irons, I even own one, but I can only be bothered to use it maybe once every three months - I'd just hate the social situation that it'd get me into, and I'd hate to tell them I'm not going to buy their product after all the hard work they'd done on my hair. Also if they ever did approach me I just might say something like I don't use heat on my hair, just to make the long hair brigade proud :D

Islandgrrl
August 31st, 2010, 10:18 AM
I avoid the kiosks if at all possible, but since I wear my hair up all the time I'm not a prime target. Occasionally one of them will realize that the huge bun conceals a LOT of hair and approach me, but it doesn't happen too often.

I did have a recent encounter with a couple of salon representatives, though. I had taken my hair down to re-do an uncomfortable bun just as we walked past a guy and a girl trying to entice people into a salon for haircuts. Little Orca's description of "chum at a shark party" is dead on! "Would you like a coupon for a free haircut? We could give you a great haircut!" My response...with a totally deadpan delivery and matching face as I whipped my hair back up into a bun: "Do I look like I need a haircut?" I thought my DH would die laughing.

ArienEllariel
August 31st, 2010, 10:45 AM
I avoid the kiosks if at all possible, but since I wear my hair up all the time I'm not a prime target. Occasionally one of them will realize that the huge bun conceals a LOT of hair and approach me, but it doesn't happen too often.

I did have a recent encounter with a couple of salon representatives, though. I had taken my hair down to re-do an uncomfortable bun just as we walked past a guy and a girl trying to entice people into a salon for haircuts. Little Orca's description of "chum at a shark party" is dead on! "Would you like a coupon for a free haircut? We could give you a great haircut!" My response...with a totally deadpan delivery and matching face as I whipped my hair back up into a bun: "Do I look like I need a haircut?" I thought my DH would die laughing.

:spitting:I would have loved to see this! :D

swanns
August 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM

Gotta love their logic - the more hair there is, the more likely it is that the person will want a haircut... oh wait.

RachelRain
August 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I've actually never had the hair people approach me, but I've had people selling skin stuff grab my hand and put stuff on it (I almost elbowed one, because I could tell by the smell that it was going to burn me if he put it on my hand.) and I've had the people selling phones literally YELL to get my attention while I'm standing in the doorway two stores down from their kiosk. That one blows my mind, and it always seems to be Sprint or T Mobile - both of which have bad service for our area, so I laugh and tell them that it's not bloody likely.

I'd probably just laugh and walk away if a hair kiosk person tried to sell me stuff.

young&reckless
August 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM
I work in a mall and I really can't stand these people. I say no and they just keep pushing their stupid stuff on me. Oh you have great skin you should switch to our stuff, why would I if my skin is great?

Most of all I can't stand when they step out in front of me when I'm walking, "can I ask you a question?"

One of them is gonna get body checked someday.

luthien_belewen
August 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM
These people drive me crazy! I once got sucked into trying mineral makeup at a kiosk. The lady put eyeshadow on me on just one eye! Then she just looked at me expectantly...I was like...ummm, do you have a cloth? I'm not going to walk around with eye shadow on one eye. She gave one to me and I wiped it off right in front of her. She then pushed me to buy it, and I just told her I'm supposed to meet somebody really soon and hightailed it out of there!

lastnite
August 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
The malls I used to go to, it was actually illegal for the kiosk owners to approach anybody, the customer had to go to them first. One time one of the kiosk workers hadn't gotten the memo and tried to approach me...I promptly reported them to the customer service people at the mall. I had a friend who worked in a store there who told me that a kiosk could actually get banned from the mall if they got too many complaints about approaching customers!

I get needing to sell your product and make money, but personally, getting approached like that pushes me into a near-panic attack.

it should be like that in all of the malls. it's silly people will avoid malls and the other stores in the mall will lose business because people are trying to avoid the kiosk people. no way should they be allowed to keep asking, insisting and following someone to try a product.

aimison
August 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Ugh, the kiosk people. They are one of the reasons I avoid my local mall like the plague..

I had one of the hand creme people literally dash out and SNATCH my hands up the one time. As a former college rugby player (and someone who hates being touched unexpectedly) the dude was lucky he got his hands back in one piece. I started screaming at him about what gave him the right to run up and touch some strange woman without her consent and on and on. People were staring...I don't think that was a good day for hand cream man..

kwaniesiam
August 31st, 2010, 07:06 PM
I've gotten attacked by the flat iron kiosk before, many times in fact. Two of them were particularly funny events. Once, I had dreadlocks tucked up under a hat. I was asked about my hair. I pulled the hat off and the guy had a look of shock and backed away saying "Sorry, never mind!"

The other time I was wearing a wig right after I shaved my head. A girl wanted to show me her magical flat iron, I pulled off my wig and told her no thanks, I already had one and that it was very easy to style :twisted:

little_cherry
August 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Once I had the guy working at the health food store try to sell me a product that was loaded with mineral oils and was over priced...he said it would make my hair beautiful...after one of my "looks", he quickly added "not that your hair isn't beautiful already..."
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

Next time someone pesters you with a flat iron, nicely explain that you'd rather not have anything that is hot enough to cook breakfast on anywhere near your hair. ;)

Hylia
August 31st, 2010, 07:29 PM
I really hate those people at the kiosks. Like I understand most of them are just trying to do their job, but when someone says no kindly, they should stop at that. Once I said no, and one of the guys who worked there sprayed perfume on me. So rude, I wish I had a chance to talk to their manager.

LittleOrca
August 31st, 2010, 07:30 PM
This concept of not being the only one who speed walks by looking busy for the kiosk strip is hilarious. Are most ppl like this? Aside from little orca no one else here decided to fight back....lol. I would have laughed histerically to see their faces when you said that :)

Im personally like LittleOrca but not as good at saying cool things like she is.

Little Orca's description of "chum at a shark party" is dead on!

I didn't think I was a fighter back. :) I was just tired of hearing them constantly tell me (different people on different visits):
"X will make you better."
"Y will make your hair like _____."
"Z will fix your hair (even though she just said it was lovely) and make you feel so much better about yourself."

I just finally got tired of it. I only spoke out against that one woman who wanted me in her chair to test the flat iron "that caused no damage" as I could see someone else with SMOKE (ok, more like steam but it's still traumatic for an LHCer ;) ) coming from the flat iron as it boiled her hair.

Glad I'm a tiny role model, or something, in that aspect, lol. :lol:

According to my sister who used to work at the mall, it is illegal for them to approach you and hound you to do this or that, but they all do it anyways. Maybe if they think if they all break the rules the mall wont want to do anything about it since they are paying rent to be at that kiosk location.

estherbeth
August 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Eegh. I'm glad our local mall doesn't have many kiosks, and the few that are there don't pester passers-by. I realise that they're just trying to pull in more commissions, or whatever, but does harrassment really bring that many more people in? I would think it drove more away!

luckyduck
August 31st, 2010, 08:32 PM
This week I had the grandkids at the mall. We were heading for the door, and this woman grabs my hand and starts talking about my cuticles! The kids are 2 and 4 and I had them going in the right direction for once, and it was all I could do to not say " you have got to be kidding me!"

eternallyverdan
September 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM
God they're annoying. I was at the mall a couple weeks ago and a woman came up to me and told me that my eyebrows were scraggly and that she wanted to thread them.

Admittedly, she had a point-- I hadn't done anything with them in a while and was going to do it later that week-- but the whole concept of trying to sell a product by pointing out all of your customer's flaws seems a bit daft to me.

Alvrodul
September 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've actually never had the hair people approach me, but I've had people selling skin stuff grab my hand and put stuff on it (I almost elbowed one, because I could tell by the smell that it was going to burn me if he put it on my hand.) and I've had the people selling phones literally YELL to get my attention while I'm standing in the doorway two stores down from their kiosk. That one blows my mind, and it always seems to be Sprint or T Mobile - both of which have bad service for our area, so I laugh and tell them that it's not bloody likely.

I'd probably just laugh and walk away if a hair kiosk person tried to sell me stuff.
Whaaat? This complete stranger walks ups to you and starts rubbing some mystery product containing Freya-knows-what all over you? That is edging real close to assault, and if anybody ever had the temerity to do something like that to me, you can be sure I would put a stop to it - by getting physical with the salesperson if that is needed to get away, and then setting security on them. I have allergies, and though I have not (so far) had reactions to cosmetic products, I tend to be careful about what I use.
And nobody get into my personal space uninvited! Certainly not for something like that!:steam

wvgemini
September 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Oddly enough, DBF and I went to our local mall the other night. Most of the kiosk people left us alone, until I got to the cell phone cover booth. I like funky cases for my blackberry (expecially since it is a government phone :p ) and the one I have now is wearing out. Anyway, I start looking and this ensues:

Kiosk dude: "Do you need help?"
Me: "No thanks, just looking."
Kiosk dude: "What kind of phone do you have?"
Me: "I said I'm just looking."
Kiosk dude *comes out of booth to stand by where I was looking. Keep in mind I am bending over to look so he is entering dangerous nose-to-crotch distance* "Can I help you?"
Me: "NO. I am JUST LOOKING"
Kiosk dude: "What case do you want. I can show you what you want."
Me: "Back the eff off!" At this point, DBF and I left. And I was going to buy one too. But not from that guy!

Eniratak
September 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
XD. These replies are so awesome and funny.

I usually do wear my hair up when I go to the mall, but I've found it's hard to try on shirts and things with a hairstick in the way.

I now want to go the mall and try out some of these statements on the people.

julliams
September 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
I think those guys get just about anyone they can, nice hair or not. In their defense they are probably totally bored (what a job!!!). I just try to avoid eye contact. Having wavy hair makes me a total target for them. I actually own a straightener so I just tell them I already have one - what can you say to that?

With the hand creams (ugh - that bothers me too) I just smile and say no thanks and keep walking. They must get that alot.

I also dislike the charity people who hang about on corners and aren't happy when I pull out $5 to give them - they want you to commit to a year of ongoing donations each month - are you kidding me???? Like I would sign a contract like that with someone on the street just because they are wearing a shirt and carry a badge.

jasper
September 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I had the offer to try out the straightener at the mall kiosk (not with the preliminary compliment, though). After having read the heat styling addicts lamentation threads here, I figured the mall kiosks are the dope pushers of the hair world

fisher2
September 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
when me and my gf are walking in the mall and they even take a step twards us and start i word i say no lol hey're relentless lol we've stopped and said no alot but now i dont give them the time of day lol they asked us 4 times in 2 hours once and i stopped and told them that no ment no and if they kept pushing their product and keep pestering il press charges for harrassment ..guess who hasnt gotten bothered in a month?

RachelRain
September 3rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
I had the offer to try out the straightener at the mall kiosk (not with the preliminary compliment, though). After having read the heat styling addicts lamentation threads here, I figured the mall kiosks are the dope pushers of the hair world

That made me laugh. Nice comparison :)

when me and my gf are walking in the mall and they even take a step twards us and start i word i say no lol hey're relentless lol we've stopped and said no alot but now i dont give them the time of day lol they asked us 4 times in 2 hours once and i stopped and told them that no ment no and if they kept pushing their product and keep pestering il press charges for harrassment ..guess who hasnt gotten bothered in a month?

My boyfriend said the next person who approaches me with skin stuff, he's just gonna yell 'stranger danger' at the top of his lungs. Which I'm totally for - one, it'll be hilarious, and two, he gets to feel like the big man on campus for scaring off the freaky dudes. lol.

loralie
September 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
I work in a mall. I've been in customer service for 6 years. Here's my 2 cents.

These people don't NEED to do this job. Seriously. If they can even string a sentence, they could get another job in customer service that doesn't require them to pester the living bejeebus out of every single person that passes by. They could easily do something else.

So no, they aren't just "doing their job". They choose to do that job, they chose that job, and they choose to stay at that job. Choice. No matter what, at that level of retail, there is always a choice to work for another company that only wants you to fold clothes, or do stock, or simply smile, greet people, ring them through, take their order, etc. Personally, I could never degrade or demean myself like that.

So, I'm rude. Yeah. I know. Sometimes I do feel bad, but seriously? I'm not going to buy anything from you if you try to physically block my path or use those kind of tactics to get me interested in your products. I'm an extremely blunt person when it comes to being annoyed. I've come near swearing at them, yes. I usually just tell the guy "I don't use that crap" or "it's a wig". Usually my stony gaze and glare stop them right away but there are the cocky ones who are just itching to mess with you, even though your body language is clearly telling them to screw off.

Ugh. I would rather panhandle than lower myself to that level.

Sunsailing
September 4th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Those kiosk people have always been a pet peeve of mine. I have been approached many times by that hair iron kiosk, no matter what type of expresson I try to have on my face. That kiosk happens to be in front of the only store I go to the mall for....Eddie Bauer. I've complained about the kiosk people to the manage of Eddie Bauer many times. The manage has begged me to make a call to mall management, because Eddie Bauer has many customers each day complaining about the kiosk.
The Eddie Bauer manager said the that mall rules state that the kiosks workers cannot be more than 6 feet away from their kiosk.

My wife thinks I'm just being rude when I refuse to look at them or answer them. But she's gradually coming around to my way of thinking, because she has really been bothered by them. My wife has beautiful curly hair and she gets her feelings hurt every time because she thinks that these people think her hair looks bad since they want to straighten it for her. I've tried to convince her that they are only desperately trying to sell their product....it has nothing to do with their opinion of your hair! Besides, who cares what these people (many of whom can't speak English very well) think of your hair?

When I have to go the mall, I walk as close to the outside wall as possible (so I'm as far away from certain kiosks as possible.

I feel that as a mall customer, I should not be treated like I was walking through the straw market on Nassau.

squiggyflop
September 4th, 2010, 06:47 AM
yes the flat iron people always try to get me when i walk through the mall.. and the nail shine people too.. it always feels like an ambush

noelgirl
September 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Next time someone pesters you with a flat iron, nicely explain that you'd rather not have anything that is hot enough to cook breakfast on anywhere near your hair. ;)

This gave me another comeback idea - "My hair's on a raw diet, I don't heat it over 110 degrees." ;)

TiaKitty
September 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I like to ask if I can try it out on them first... They nearly never agree to let someone else near their head with a hot, hot weapon like that!

My other pat reply, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but feel free to let me have it if I do...
"It's a wig."

Kateelizabee
September 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I was approached in the street and was told I'd be 'perfect' for a makeover. I turned her down and felt really depressed afterwards; I'm the 'before' b!#ch!

smileycat
September 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I just don't go to the mall, period.

ArienEllariel
September 4th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I was approached in the street and was told I'd be 'perfect' for a makeover. I turned her down and felt really depressed afterwards; I'm the 'before' b!#ch!

How horrible! People like that make me so mad.

I remember walking through Macy's once and having two sales associates start talking behind my back about how I "needed" makeup. Granted, this was somewhat near the makeup counters and I was perhapse not looking my best that day, but I was really hurt and left the store. I don't think I've bought anything there since and I'm actually quite afraid to venture back into the store if I'm to be treated in such a fashion again.

OrangeStripe
September 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Last week I actually got stopped be a kiosk lady in Glasgow. It wasn't for straighteners, but for a curling iron. She asked if I wanted to try something cool and new with my hair and I said "no thanks, I like my hair the way it is" and walked away, but then she saw my tailbone length hair and made such a fuss over it, I couldn't help but give in :) So I got all my hair curled for free. I was pretty insulted when she said that I could do so much more with my hair than just put it in a bobble, because I'd spent ages putting it in a fishtail braid that morning. :(

RachelRain
September 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
How horrible! People like that make me so mad.

I remember walking through Macy's once and having two sales associates start talking behind my back about how I "needed" makeup. Granted, this was somewhat near the makeup counters and I was perhapse not looking my best that day, but I was really hurt and left the store. I don't think I've bought anything there since and I'm actually quite afraid to venture back into the store if I'm to be treated in such a fashion again.

I actually had that happen somewhere, but I can't remember the name of the store. I'm allergic to a lot of things, and makeup ALWAYS makes me break out. So I immediately whipped around and told them off for that reason, but also because hello, did it occur to you people that talking behind someone's back is rude as hell? Ugh.

The manager got involved on that one and I embarrassed every single person who was with me that day, but it was totally worth it. Not only did they get chewed out by me, but the manager told them flat out that I was right - you can't always assume that everyone can use their product so don't talk smack like that.

So next time just turn around, smile and say 'Your products make my face break out, so no thank you, and my SO loves the way I look, so if you don't, feel free to look at someone else.' (You don't hafta say the last part if you don't want to, but I wouldn't be able to resist.)

Kateelizabee
September 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I'm so sorry this thread is full of people with similar run-ins! It amazes me to think there are those who think the best way to sell things is to openly insult their customers.

triumphator!
September 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
So next time just turn around, smile and say 'Your products make my face break out, so no thank you, and my SO loves the way I look, so if you don't, feel free to look at someone else.' (You don't hafta say the last part if you don't want to, but I wouldn't be able to resist.)

Now see, that's a lot more polite than what I would do. I'd just whip around and say the good old "F you." :D

DecafJane
September 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I tend to get excited when the hand cream people approach me, because I have contact allergies to certain products. I get REALLY excited when they try to tell me that their products are "all natural" because they clearly have no idea about allergies if they think that people won't react to their "natural" products. As if people never have hayfever in spring. As if some things in nature aren't extremely dangerous poisons.

I walked past a girl who was getting her hair straightened by a man at one of these booths yesterday. Her hair actually looked burnt. It was already straight, but he kept running the iron over it. It looked fried. I actually don't mind using irons on occasion, but only a quick straighten (so it only looks flatter and not ultra-straight) and NEVER to this extent.

Fog
September 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I work at a department store in the mall. Every day I walk past the "Invest in GOLD!" kiosk. It tests my good humor.

30isthenewblack
September 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
These kiosks are so intrusive. I'll do anything not to cross their path. I put the blame on the centre management of the shopping centres who hire out space to these vultures.

Eniratak
September 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I just had the best experience at the mall today. I went with a couple of friends to the same mall that I encountered the people from last time. So about an hour in, our group decided to split up, so my boyfriend and I ended up crossing the path of the cart from last time.
Get this: SAME guy.
So, I see him and I see the cart and I literally sped up and rushed past him. He took a step toward me when I did so and then was like, "What is wrong with her?"

To which my boyfriend replied, "She doesn't like you people."

Priceless. XDD.

Cinnamoon
September 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Just tell them that you don't speak English. In Latin.
"Lingua Brittannae non dico."

Literally, I do not speak the British language. I'm sure there's a word for English, but I can't bring it to mind right now. Shouldn't matter, though - they'll still have no idea what you're saying, and even if they know other languages they won't get it.

ArienEllariel
September 4th, 2010, 09:54 PM

Literally, I do not speak the British language. I'm sure there's a word for English, but I can't bring it to mind right now. Shouldn't matter, though - they'll still have no idea what you're saying, and even if they know other languages they won't get it.

That would be extremely amusing to do. :p If I can remember this, I'll say it to the next pushy kiosk person I see. tehe!

sunrain
September 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM

BAHAHAHA, I love this! Yay for Latin! I have a friend who I took Latin with in high school, and we're such nerds that I can actually see us saying this to someone. (Or rather, my friend might say it because her Latin is better. And she has long, pretty, straight hair.) It's not like we haven't contemplated rattling off classical Latin insults. :P

Johanna
September 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I always put my fiance between myself and the flat-burn people. They're less likely to try speak to me then as I'm less accesible. If I'm alone I usually make an obvious effort to walk past the side of the kiosk that is already busy.
I'm getting better at turning street vendors down flat out. I walk past them quikly, the second they try talk to me I smile and say 'Lunch break' and keep on walking. Typically no-ne will hastle you when you say you're on your lunch break. :D

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM

I agree! :)

Vanille_
February 24th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Before I found this site, I got suckered by a kiosk guy wanting to use his flatiron on me. I fell for it :( Never again!

Dragon Faery
February 25th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Wow. I'm glad we don't have any of these where I live!

The family I grew up in was literally scared of salespeople. Whenever anyone came to the door, we would hide out of sight in other rooms and make no noise until they went away. We always told salespeople "No thank you, I'm just looking." If that didn't work we left. By college I had perfected the walking-fast-looking-at-my-watch-getting-out-my-phone-to-see-who-just-texted-me thing.

Horror of horrors, I married a man who isn't scared of salespeople at all! When someone approaches him, he stops and chats, lets them talk about their product, gets them off topic onto something else, tells them to look him up on facebook ... And still gets away without buying anything or being demonstrated on. I don't understand how he does it, but when I'm not nervous or in a hurry it's fascinating. Of course, we've never encountered anyone that pushy, but maybe they're all intimidated by him, as he's HUGE...think Hulk with a Santa belly. (No, he wouldn't mind me saying that.)

Loving the funny responses!

HappyHair87
February 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I have always simply looked them dead in the eye and said "no thank you" with a straight face and went on about my merry way. I have worked retail for yrs and all you have to do is be firm about saying no...dont even smile. Works everytime:agree:

Tisiloves
February 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I once told a sales bloke that he clearly had the observational skills of a concussed lemming if he thought I needed straighteners.

blondecat
February 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Zombie thread from 2010.

molly_grue
February 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Is it really a zombie thread if 5 people have commented on it today?
I thought everyone was complaining that LHC was too dead...

PixieKitten
February 25th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Ugh. In my shopping centre(Not a mall.. I'm in England :P) Every few months there's a kiosk for lovefilm DVD rentals, and it's always the same three guys. And every. Single. Time. I walk up the stairs from the bus station to get to wherever I'm going, they all zone in and lunge for me! I understand reaching out to the most likely market and stuff, but for god's sake! Once I told them I was in a hurry, and once I was feeling a bit mischevious and messed with them for about ten minutes, telling them I didn't have an email and if they could explain the Internet for me so I could take advantage of their amazing offer. The best time was the last time they caught me, it went a little something like this:

Guy: Hey, 'scuse me! Do you like movies?
Me: I guess, yeah?
Guy: My name's kevin, what's yours?
Me: Tasha..
Kevin: Hi Tasha! So where do you get your movies from?
Me: Internet.
Kevin: *obviously taken aback* ...Really?
Me: Yup.
Kevin: All of them?
Me: Oh yeah. I rarely watch a movie more than once unless I really love it, then I'll buy a copy or wait till it's on sky and record it. Though that doesn't happen often, so I'm not going to waste what little income I have on an hour and a half of crap. I get like £100 a month, and it pretty much all gets spent on vet bills, pet supplies, and replacing everything the animals break. So even if I was interested in renting films, which I'm not, I can't exactly afford it.
Kevin: ...Fair enough. I'd do that too. You have a nice day now!
Me: You too! *walks off happily*

I also once had a lady in Turkey grab me roughly and start laying crappily made bracelets on my wrists. I ended up buying one just to make her stop. It broke the first time I wore it. ¬_¬

miissmonmon
February 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM
One of those people came up to me at the shops and asked me what I do to my hair, I had a hairpiece in so I thought it would be hilarious to tell the truth and said "it's fake!" and walked off with my friend....she had the most dumbstruck look on her face and had no idea how to respond :P

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I once told a sales bloke that he clearly had the observational skills of a concussed lemming if he thought I needed straighteners.

That's brilliant.

I used to be a target. Now it's usually whoever I'm with that gets approached. I make sure I stand up straight look exactly where I'm going and walk with purpose, no speeding up or slowing down. If I do slow down, it's to look at something in the window of an actual store. I'm also usually prepared with a no room for funny business "leave me alone" style comment if someone is dim enough to approach me. The turning point for me was when I was shopping with my best friend and she was very rude to one of the kiosk people who tried approaching me. After that, it's kind of been ok to me to be a little mean.

I have had my hair curled with a straightener at one of those kiosks, a few years ago. I honestly like the look and this was before I had decided to grow my hair out, so any damage would be gone quickly, and before I knew I could have all the curls I wanted if I would just stop brushing and scrunch instead. Blessings to the hairstylist who made that observation and did a diffuse and scrunch on my hair even if it took a few months for that to sink in.

I still have a flat iron for my bangs, that I didn't buy from that booth, but it's on the lowest setting. It never gets near the length of my hair and if I decide to stop wearing bangs, I'll stop the flat iron a few months before I start growing the bangs, so any damage can grow out first.

I don't really have funny stories. When I was a target I could pretty much get suckered into anything. Now I get left alone.

jasper
February 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Those flat iron kiosks in the mall! After reading so many threads here about people trying to stop using heat and get over their flat iron addiction, I always think of those sales people as drug pushers. :lol:

They don't usually approach me, but some will. I tend to swerve away.

A. Correira
February 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM
My mother had this happen to her when I was with her. He asked her how long it took for her to straighten her hair, because the straightener he was offering could, apparantly, do it faster. And she looked at him and said "I don't ever straighten my hair, so I don't know" and we kept walking. She prefers to curl her hair than straighten. haha

QMacrocarpa
February 25th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I was amazed the first time I had this sort of experience at the nearest mall, which I guess I hadn't been to in years. I felt like the kiosk folks gave the place a sort of panhandling vibe, and I couldn't imagine why the management of this mall with swanky aspirations was allowing its tone to be lowered so much.

PixxieStix
February 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Oh my goodness, the MOA people are the worst! They have tried to sell me flat irons, dead sea salt scrubs (and the jar would last for 2 years, NOT!) and I did once upon a time get suckered into the nail buffing stuff, stupidly expensive. Granted, I had never seen a nail buff before, and found out later I could have purchased one for a few dollars from Sally Beauty supply instead of thirty bucks for the buff and some crap hand lotion, mineral oil and nail file.

One product I purchased from a kiosk once upon a time that I did adore was the Vivo Per Lei Face Peel, it works great for at home! I was again lied to though about how long it lasts with twice a week use, but again with the price, found out I could have gotten it way cheaper online, with free shipping and no tax! The lady told me they usually sell it for $150, but she would give me a "special" price, the price she paid, of only $45! This was years ago and I was a lot more naive than I am now. I just re-purchased another jar to be sent to my house with free shipping, no harassment and no tax though for $22. Won't be buying that at the mall again! What really bugged me though was that she was talking to me about how horrible my acne and roseaca (don't know how to spell?) were and how much more amazing my skin would be with their products, yada yada.

I do the speed walking buy thing now, or if I encounter a ridiculously persistent individual I just tell them I am allergic to their products, or, tell them I own everything already so they don't need to try and sell me on it, since they "Already did! Don't you remember?" :p

Amber_Maiden
February 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM
They have tried to sell me flat irons, dead sea salt scrubs (and the jar would last for 2 years, NOT!) and I did once upon a time get suckered into the nail buffing stuff, stupidly expensive. Granted, I had never seen a nail buff before, and found out later I could have purchased one for a few dollars from Sally Beauty supply instead of thirty bucks for the buff and some crap hand lotion, mineral oil and nail file.

haha! I got sucked into that one as well!!!- the Dead Sea scrub stuff/nail buffer!

I ignore the hair straighter people... Always have. I actually had one woman not take no for an answer and walk after me with her straightener, grabbing at my hair... :(

heidi w.
February 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Sometimes people are eager to get their hands on super long hair. One has to be careful.

heidi w.

maborosi
February 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
When I'm at the mall, I've found out from someone who works there that if you walk onthe outer tiles of the floor, kiosk people are not allowed to approach you because it could be seen as interfering with other businesses. If I'm in a bad mood and it's crowded, I scowl and walk on the edge tiles.

I do not get bothered by kiosk people. I am just too grumpy looking.

I will say, though, I love those kiosks with the glittery, sparkly hairtoys...I had a really good experience with this really sweet lady who worked at one of those kiosks. She was so nice and helpful, and so unlike anyone I'd ever come across working in one of them. Since then, I've alwayd had such a positive view of the hairtoy places. They tend to not be very pushy like the hair straightener people.

~maborosi~

PrairieRose
February 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
When I'm at the mall, I've found out from someone who works there that if you walk onthe outer tiles of the floor, kiosk people are not allowed to approach you because it could be seen as interfering with other businesses. If I'm in a bad mood and it's crowded, I scowl and walk on the edge tiles.

I do not get bothered by kiosk people. I am just too grumpy looking.

I will say, though, I love those kiosks with the glittery, sparkly hairtoys...I had a really good experience with this really sweet lady who worked at one of those kiosks. She was so nice and helpful, and so unlike anyone I'd ever come across working in one of them. Since then, I've alwayd had such a positive view of the hairtoy places. They tend to not be very pushy like the hair straightener people.

~maborosi~
Thanks for the tip...that does make sense!:)

heidi w.
February 25th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I was once, a number of years back, at a hair show where they had all kinds of platforms for hair demos. I was frequenting the area of long hair platform shows. And I had my hair down, and this dude from the platform, one of the presenters, eyed me from afar, and I could feel the drool from the corner of his mouth. Watching him work with hair, I had already determined he knew zip about long hair. And I wouldn't let him touch my hair, even if he had caught up with me and offered, with a ten foot pole!!

heidi w.

LittleOrca
February 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM

~maborosi~

The ladies at the sparkley hair toy kiosks were so rude to me. They were like used-car salesmen and trying to sell me a hundred different clips each marked up way over their actual value. I wanted to just brows the pretties but when she started trying to get her hands on my hair to put the toys in to make me want to buy them, I had to leave. Waaay too pushy.

Covet
February 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
My hair is curly and I usually get accosted by people with hair straighteners in shopping centres. I know they're only trying to do their jobs but I wish they would leave my hair alone. It might not be their intention but when I get told that I should straighten my hair or whatever, it's like that person is seeing my curls as a downfall in my appearance. It took me years to come to terms with them but now that I've accepted them and come to love them, I wish others would too.

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM
They aren't seeing your curls as something negative. If you had straight hair, they'd be offering to use that straightener to curl your hair. There's an assumption that people want to change what they have, which is why things like straighteners were invented in the first place.

What's way more annoying, to me, is when you sit in a stylist's chair and they curl your curly hair with a flat iron. I mean really, if I wanted curls, I'd scrunch and air dry, it's easier and less damaging. If I'm sitting in a chair and say do something different, curling my hair isn't probably what someone should do first. That was the last time I'm letting anyone who isn't a fellow longhair style my hair.

HylianGirl
February 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Ugh, those people annoy me too! I remember once I was in a store at a mall (not a kiosk) that sold earings, necklaces, hair toys and stuff. Once I got in there a saleswoman came to me to see if I was looking for something, to each I replied the usual "no thanks, I'm just looking" and she politelly walked away. I kept looking at the stuff they sold there when I noticed the manager called that saleswoman and started talking to her (but they didn't notice I was listening), it went kinda like this:

Manager: If a client says they don't need your help, you have to show them things they might be interested, don't just walk away! Show this hat and these bracelets, you can't just leave clients on their own!
Saleswoman: I'm sorry.

That conversation called my attention, I left the store for a while, but then I just felt like I needed to go back there, and so I did. I went there and called the manager, and then said that the saleswoman who offered help to me acted right, and I really liked her service, then proceeded to tell her that when people say they are just looking and the salespeople keep bothering them, they'll be annoyed and leave the store. To which the manager answered me that she understood my point of view, but I was an exception among clients, and that most people don't know what they are looking for and need to have a salesperson shoing everything. After a while I realised she didn't even hear me. It was a shame, the salespeople shoudn't be trained like that!

Annibelle
February 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM
My hair is curly and I usually get accosted by people with hair straighteners in shopping centres. I know they're only trying to do their jobs but I wish they would leave my hair alone. It might not be their intention but when I get told that I should straighten my hair or whatever, it's like that person is seeing my curls as a downfall in my appearance. It took me years to come to terms with them but now that I've accepted them and come to love them, I wish others would too.

I completely understand what you mean, but I'd try not to take it that way if I were you. When my hair was almost completely straight, they asked me to try their straighteners. :confused: And friends would say, "Your hair would look soooo good if you straightened it!" Ummm... my hair is straight! :rolleyes: Now it's wavy, but they'll try to get ANYONE to use a straightener.

Your hair is awesome, BTW! :blossom:

Annibelle
February 26th, 2012, 07:58 PM
My negative experience with kiosks isn't about hair... but it's those darn Dead Sea people that've already been mentioned! :p I try to be polite and say no instead of just ignoring them, but once as I was saying no, the woman grabbed my hand and slathered lotion on it. I told her I was allergic to most products and she was like, "Oh, this doesn't cause allergies! It's very good!" Yeah, tell that to my inflamed skin and sinus headache I had for the rest of the day... :taz:

Annibelle
February 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Those cell phone guys are awful, too... last time, I was walking along in the mall and a man said hello. I said hi back, thinking it was just a friendly fellow. Then he asked how my day was. Seemed strange for a stranger to ask, but okay. Apparently he worked for a cell phone kiosk and said, "Do you want to look at my phones?" I said no and he said, under his breath, "B*tch!" I guess he thought I was being friendly because I wanted a phone. I just thought he was a regular person! :p

SoulOfTheSea
February 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Heh, as soon as I see any one of those booths, I look far away from the face of the salesman and pretend I'm talking to the person with me. Also, if I'm with DBF, I will cling tightly to his arm and pull him the other way. :D

I know first hand how damaging those flat irons are, I used them everyday for almost four years. Never using one ever again, unless if it is on my bangs.

lillikins
February 27th, 2012, 06:08 AM
That's happened to me before. My hair is WL and naturally straight, and people always assume that I straighten it. >_<

One time, though, one of those girls came up to me and was actually really cool. She asked me who did my hair, and I said I did it myself. She said how much she liked it and asked if she could try some products on it just for fun. I think she just wanted to play with my hair. xD

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM
My hair isn't real long but its sort of thick so people look at my hair and ask what I put in it. I don't tell my secret out of fear they will run away from me. I have people who watch me like a hawk in the hair care aisle. I guess people envy my hair.

Jeno86
February 28th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I've only ever been stopped once. I can't remember what he said to get me to stop but when I did he tried to get me to come to the booth. I told him "no thanks, I don't use those" and walked on. I haven't been stopped since. Don't know if it's because of how I dress (Victorian Goth) or what but it's been peaceful haha.

Kinkycurlygurl
February 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I let one of those hair straightener people straigten a tiny section of my hair on the back of my head. It turned into an event that drew a crowd. At the time I wore my hair big, loose and curly to the max.

One of the other black women in the crowd actually said "If that flat iron straightens that stuff out I'll take two."

I made the kiosk lady stop after two or three little sections because I didn't like the burnt smell my hair was developing.:cool:

Melisande
February 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I always walk past the hair straightener kiosk and the plastic nail kiosk and all the others with a very forbidding face. They usually don't speak to me, I'm an older woman and invisible anyway :-D But sometimes an unexperienced youngster will try to convince me to straighten my hair. I usually stare at him and ask: don't you think my hair is straight enough? I won't let you toast it! and laugh and continue my way.

I always shake my head at the girls sitting there and letting some sales person put their paws into their hair, and those horrible flat irons.

Brrrr.

ennuideluxe
February 28th, 2012, 03:47 PM
It's funny. Those straightener kiosk folks here are almost too timid to talk to people. I think synthetic extensions are very common here, and I imagine that any pushy ones will meet a VERY displeased (and likely vocal) demo-customer within the first few minutes of their shift.

Those lotion or perfume ones though? They have to go. I once threatened to sue in the middle of having a wheezing, gasping allergic reaction to perfume that was sprayed on me without my consent. Poor guy looked like he didn't know whether to call an ambulance or a lawyer.

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
@ennuideluxe oh, I have already had those perfume guys that randomly spray perfume on people at me &#242;.&#243; and I don't use perfume (I don't like the strong smell, a nice bath and deodorant is enough for me), they also make me sneeze and give me a headache x.x