PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to have hair like this....

Meagan
August 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
My hair looks and feels thick...but on top my hair is thin I dont have alot of hair on my scalp, im a flipper and I notice that I have to be careful because it makes my scalp very noticable, especially in my crown area....I look like im balding. I feel like my hair is really thinning out and it parts funny, like patches of hair that stick together. I thought maybe it was oil bulid up or something but it's not because I wash my hair probably 3 times a week or less. It's been like this for three years, I've even had people comment about it but I never took it seriously but now I notice now that my hair is shedding like crazy. When I do hot oil treatments I make sure to not put any oils on my scalp because it makes me shed even more, so it's not the oils that are making me shed.

Anyways is it normal to have thin hair on top even though your hair looks and feels thick? Do I even make sense?

cmnt831
August 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I think I know what you mean. My hair looks quite thick, but it has a part down the middle that branches off into two parts as it goes back and the top layer of my hair just feels sparser than the underlayer. Which is funny because apparently my top layer is made of medium thickness hair, while my underlayer is made of fine hair. When I pull my hair back, I have to arrange the hair on top of my head so that it doesn't look like I have balding patches.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but it's annoying and I'm trying to figure out what might help it. I have a friend that has a very similar problem, too.

smileycat
August 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
My hair at the top of my head and along my hairline in the front in particular is DEFINITELY less dense than the back and sides. I think this is normal. My mom and sister are the same way, so maybe it is genetic.

RavennaNight
August 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
It's normal to have thinner hair at the temples and crown. The bulk of my hair is growing from the middle to back of my head. But if you can see your scalp and are shedding maybe a trip to the doctor is in order. It could be any number of things! Thyroid, anemia, hormonal issues, diet, medication, alpoecia... Best to get to a doc and find out.

You say you've had the spots a while and it is more apparent when you flip your hair. Could it be cowlicks? I have a friend who has many cowlicks. An eggregious amount of them, all over her head. If she parts it wrong it looks like a bald spot bur they're just hereditary swirls in the growth pattern of hair that makes for strange parting.

Meagan
August 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It cant be cowlicks because it's all over my scalp. It's weird...its like chuncks of my hair are glued together and I have lines everywhere. Im pretty sure there's something funky going on in my body.That sucks because I was starting to be happy with my hair finally got it at a nice length, it's pretty healthy could be better tho.

McFearless
August 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Im sorry to hear:( I think you should go to the doctor. Get a second and maybe third opinion aswell.

What is your diet like? You say you've noticed this over the last three years. What has changed in your lifestyle during this time?

Carena
August 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I met a girl who's scalp was very visible. She said this is genetic in her case.

There is this very popular oil in Russia and its especially for the scalp. Its supposed to help your hair grow faster, make them stronger, stop balding etc. I believe its called Burdock oil in English.

Here's a Wikipedia with some information about this oil- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctium

Anyone tried it? I've started using it not too long ago to speed up my hair growth.

mira-chan
August 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
It cant be cowlicks because it's all over my scalp. It's weird...its like chuncks of my hair are glued together and I have lines everywhere. Im pretty sure there's something funky going on in my body.That sucks because I was starting to be happy with my hair finally got it at a nice length, it's pretty healthy could be better tho.
If the chunks can separate out and act just like oily hair clumping then it's likely cowlicks. If you can't split the bundles easily then do see a doctor. You should see a doctor anyway about the shedding. Ask them to test your vitamin levels, iron level and thyroid.

I met a girl who's scalp was very visible. She said this is genetic in her case.

There is this very popular oil in Russia and its especially for the scalp. Its supposed to help your hair grow faster, make them stronger, stop balding etc. I believe its called Burdock oil in English.

Here's a Wikipedia with some information about this oil- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctium

Anyone tried it? I've started using it not too long ago to speed up my hair growth.
I've used it. I have coarse hair so it didn't agree with it much, other oils did (coconut and sesame). I've given it to other LHCers who have loved it, all of them had fine or medium hair. It's not going to speed up growth past your genetic limit but it does prevent breakage when used as an after wash leave in of a couple of drops in the length. It does stop many scalp issues too such as dandruff. :flower: