PDA

View Full Version : PICS Modern Regency-esque Pony

eezepeeze
August 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, guys! I think I've come up with a new twist on the Regency/Victorian updo that you can comfortably wear in the modern world. It's a pony with the tail braided into a bunch of mini braids, and then turned around your hand once and bobby pinned underneath the pony near the base. I took one of the little braids to hide the elastic. It's really cute if I do say so myself. Please disregard the fuzziness, it's the end of the day.

Here's pics!
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0072.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0069.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0074.jpg

naples
August 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
thats cool. im gonna try get my girlfriend to put braids like that in my ponytail though i may not fold it over.

Gumball
August 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
That looks awesome, eezepeeze! Good call for using one of the braids to hide the elastic.

Cleopatra18
August 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
It's very cute! thanks for sharing :)

squiggyflop
August 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
my hands and wrists hurt just looking at all those braids
very pretty though

triumphator!
August 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Oooo the size of your braids is so consistent! Wonderful job :)

CourtneyBee
August 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM
This is super cute, and I LOVE your earrings! How long did this take, I would love to see your "after" hair

eezepeeze
August 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your sweet comments. To answer a couple questions...

It only took me about 10 minutes to do since it's just a bunch of english braids put into a regular ponytail tail. Nothing complicated.

If you don't tuck it, it gives a very funky, rastafarian, skateboarder look which is also very cool. It would be a fun look for the beach.

By the way, I didn't bother to secure each individual braid since I was tucking, but you probably would want to if you didn't tuck.

It is a bit of a workout for the arms at the beginning, but then it gets easier as you move down the tail because you can put your arms down. To make it more authentically regency, you could put some ringlets or accent braids in the front, if you wanted.

I'll have to post a pic of the "after" hair. I predict it won't be much frizzier than my normal hair :-)

If anybody tries this, I'd love to see your pics!! Also, if you think of any variations on the theme, I'd love to hear about it!

Happy braiding! :-)

eezepeeze
August 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Here's the after hair. ETA: this is what happens when you pull curls apart to braid them...no braid waves, just frizz...this is definitely a 2-3 day hair hairdo.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/curlygurl_album/101_0075.jpg

lpsqt60
August 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Looks great, I'll have to try it out, thanks for sharing.

AstrayStar
August 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
That is so lovely! I totally want to try that too :)

Sagi1982
August 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thats beautiful, eezepeeze!
Thank you for sharing!:D

clichepithet
August 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
This is very pretty! Wonder if this would look as impressive on my finer, lesser hair? Hmmm...

When you finished your braiding and before you wrapped the bunch; did you band all the braids together at the bottom?

lillylonghair
August 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Neat! That might be cool with rope braids or rope and english braids mixed.

MissManda
August 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I really like this and I'll have to try it sometime. I absolutely love styles that involve a "fan" of mini-braids! Thank you very much for sharing!

eezepeeze
September 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
This is very pretty! Wonder if this would look as impressive on my finer, lesser hair? Hmmm...

When you finished your braiding and before you wrapped the bunch; did you band all the braids together at the bottom?

No, I didn't band them together before pinning them. I just took 2 or 3 of the minibraids at a time and pinned them in place near the base. I did them in sections because I really wanted them to fan out. I don't know that they would if I banded them. Try it out and let me know how it works :)

ravenreed
September 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I am going to try this since it looks absolutely adorable, but I think I will band them all at the end before tucking. I have so many layers that I am not sure I could stand trying to pin it all in place on braid at a time. I will let you know how it works out.

eezepeeze
September 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I am going to try this since it looks absolutely adorable, but I think I will band them all at the end before tucking. I have so many layers that I am not sure I could stand trying to pin it all in place on braid at a time. I will let you know how it works out.

MMM...yeah...if I had a lot of layers, I would probably band them all, too. Something that would be pretty with your layers would be to curl little wispies around your face (you can pincurl if you don't use heat). Ringlets are very period, but some Taylor Swift type of wispies would be pretty. Or Taylor Swift/Miley Cyrus inspired accent braids would be pretty, too. i think the next time I do this, I will do a lace accent braid in the front, and then use that to wrap around the ponytail holder. Just to add some interest to the front and give a hint to what is hiding in the back.

Post pics when you try it out!!! I wanna seeeee :)

clichepithet
September 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Ok! I made my attempt this evening. I thought about just linking pics from Photobuskit or what-have-you, but decided against it. Once the albums here are back in working order, you shall have your reward. Anyway, I though I would give you a run-down-review-of-how-it-went-and-what-I-thought.

Because I know how important that is. :wink:

I modified the... technique? as what I ended up with was just... not enough to do what you did with yours. At count I managed 9 weenie rope-braids, as mini-english and I don't get along. I also chose to do a topsy-tail first and re-thread my braids through that, fluffed 'em out and brought the ends-left-over back up and pinned those. Topped off with a flower clip.

It did not look that nice. Don't think I would have left the house in it, and it was a bit too much trouble (for me) to want to try again unless I had some fancy-gig. I would give it another go in that event, as it had to potential to be prettier, if I were more competent.

Though I must say, with every new braid-start I thought of you, Gumball. In part because of the giant jug 'o neon gumballs staring me in the face every time I turned around. And I was braiding. So. Yes.

Tra la la. If you still want pictures, I'll post later. If you don't, I'm still posting them.

It is a very pretty 'do, eezepeeze, but I think your iii gave you a leg up. ;)

Sundial
September 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
That is so pretty! I really want to try this out when I have the time ... I'm so slow with braids that this style will probably take me 1-2 hours and it doesn't help that I have alot of layers in my hair.

And I was just thinking, there are so many ways to vary this too! Imagine a similar style with variation on the sizes of braids? That would definitely add some texture

eezepeeze
September 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Ok! I made my attempt this evening. I thought about just linking pics from Photobuskit or what-have-you, but decided against it. Once the albums here are back in working order, you shall have your reward. Anyway, I though I would give you a run-down-review-of-how-it-went-and-what-I-thought.

Because I know how important that is. :wink:

I modified the... technique? as what I ended up with was just... not enough to do what you did with yours. At count I managed 9 weenie rope-braids, as mini-english and I don't get along. I also chose to do a topsy-tail first and re-thread my braids through that, fluffed 'em out and brought the ends-left-over back up and pinned those. Topped off with a flower clip.

It did not look that nice. Don't think I would have left the house in it, and it was a bit too much trouble (for me) to want to try again unless I had some fancy-gig. I would give it another go in that event, as it had to potential to be prettier, if I were more competent.

Though I must say, with every new braid-start I thought of you, Gumball. In part because of the giant jug 'o neon gumballs staring me in the face every time I turned around. And I was braiding. So. Yes.

Tra la la. If you still want pictures, I'll post later. If you don't, I'm still posting them.

It is a very pretty 'do, eezepeeze, but I think your iii gave
you a leg up. ;)

Hmm...yeah, I don't really think about the thickness since I'm used to it, but I can see your point. Lots of the cooler looking buns on here won't work on me b/c my hair is TOO thick.

I like your idea of topsy tailing it first. I bet that looked pretty. I might try reverse topsy tailing it so it looks like the braids are just springing from the twists. Hmmm...sounds like I'll be forced to play with my hair tonight...oh, bother :p

And, yes, show us your pics!!! This hairstyle actually sprang from a major fail at a bun of little braided rosettes. Hmm, NOT happening, unless I plan to wear it for Halloween. But, I had all those little braids so did this instead. It's funny, because in the pics you can see the braids get thicker and thicker as I got more and more tired of braiding ;) You're right, the different size braids definitely add texture ;) Although,I have to say, I've spent most of my hairstyling life trying to get the texture OUT of my hair :D

That is so pretty! I really want to try this out when I have the time ... I'm so slow with braids that this style will probably take me 1-2 hours and it doesn't help that I have alot of layers in my hair.

And I was just thinking, there are so many ways to vary this too! Imagine a similar style with variation on the sizes of braids? That would definitely add some texture

If you have too many layers to do the full pony, maybe you could do it half up. Or you could try mini rope braids. Those seem to hold layers in better for me, not sure why.

Let us all know how it turns out :)

Peggy E.
September 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
My, but you are a busy girl! I do something like this, but instead of pinning it under the pony, I use the topsy tool to weave it through, around and make it disappear.

My hair is nowhere near as thick, lush and lovely as is yours, though, so it looks nowhere near this nice. :o(

clichepithet
September 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
And now you're back! From outer space! I just walked in to see that sad 'do upon your head!
.......................:disco:
Oh yeah. Everybody gotta know this one.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I)
Go on now go!

Since the albums are working again, this is what I ended up with earlier this month.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6140&pictureid=84217

eezepeeze
September 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
And now you're back! From outer space! I just walked in to see that sad 'do upon your head!
.......................:disco:
Oh yeah. Everybody gotta know this one.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I)
Go on now go!

Since the albums are working again, this is what I ended up with earlier this month.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6140&pictureid=84217

Sooooooo cute with the rope braids. I'll think I'll try it with rope braids next. I like your flower, too.

christine1989
September 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Lovely! I really want to give this one a try when my hair gets a bit longer.