PDA

View Full Version : What do, LHC?

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
To sum up:

my ex-husband brought me back a couple of wooden hair forks (I do not know what type of wood they are made out of, he got them at a kind of outdoor flea market) from Rio de Janeiro, Brasil when he went down there to visit relatives etc, buncha years back. I never use them as I thought they were too ginormous...I did a crappy cinna-bun and put one of these forks in it to show you guys:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Ariansnow/IMG_5244.jpg

Does it look too huge to you? It feels very comfortable, which is weird. Should I hang on to these monsters and use them when my hairs hits terminal length?

Presto
August 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Is that the sort of fork that would go vertically in a french twist and stick up from the top like a feather?

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Beats the heck out of me...I realized the whole thing is not much different than the length of one of my hair sticks which is interesting.

Cupofmilk
August 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I would be tempted to hang onto them.

And I love your username!

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks...I have no $ to buy hair toys currently, so I'm examining my somewhat pitiful stash to see what I can do with it...my username is the name I used when I was in the SCA (I was never into it hardcore, I liked to play dress-up...)

RadiantNeedle
August 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'd be very tempted to put something on the flat top part, like... Iunno, something really pretty!

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Decorate it, you mean? That did not even enter into my head....I guess I'm a purist when it comes to wood, I get upset when people paint wooden furniture.

Anje
August 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
It does look a little huge, but my tastes run toward small, unobtrusive accessories. (I'd actually be tempted to whack off about an inch from the top of the fork, if it's not finished, and sand it smooth.)

You'll grow into it, and I think you'll find styles other than a cinnamon bun that won't be as dwarfed by the thing. Try a lazy wrap or nautilus bun, for example. If it's comfy, definitely keep it.

leslissocool
August 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
it actually looks comfortable in the picture...

i think it looks lovely!

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks...I have another of the same length with a pointer top. They are perfectly smooth, too, no snags.

RadiantNeedle
August 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'd make the end shorter as Anje suggests, or I'd decorate the top somehow. Engraving? Or is that too blasphemous?! I looove wood, so I think I understand the purist urge! It's just that the length of the top part suggests, to me, a canvas, or an unfinished work.

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I am not in the least bit artistic...too bad...it would end up looking like a kid decorated it. I don't much mind the plain wood it's just such a...behemoth.

missjessiecakes
August 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I think it looks comfy but if you really dont like them after a bit you can always sell or trade them on the swap board and that way you can get something you love.

MandyBeth
August 28th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Comfy toys get kept. I'd cut the top down, but if that's not for you, it's for at home at least.

christine1989
August 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I agree- they are a little big for that bun but I can see them working well with a different type of bun and you should definatly hold on to them for when your hair gets longer because they will look less overwhelming then.

cindy58
August 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think trimming the top is a good idea too, especially if it's comfortable.