PDA

View Full Version : Why am I shedding???!!

LadyJennifer
August 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I started shedding about two weeks ago and cannot figure out why. I am breastfeeding my 13.5 month-old, and have already had a postpartum shed months and months ago. After I came to LHC in Jan. I started CO and was only shedding like 15-20 hairs each shower (I counted). Now it's like over 100 and maybe 200! (I'm scared to count but the hairball in the shower is huge!!). I have not done anything differently. I eat the same, I exercise the same. I wash my hair the same (same products and frequency). I have used monistat a couple of months ago, but never noticed an increase in shedding after stopping, and it's been a while since. I took MSM for a few months, ran out, and now am taking it again (for a few weeks now), so I don't think that's it.
I'm not pregnant, and don't have my periods yet after DS. Anyone have any idea why I'm shedding like this?

Anje
August 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
It might just be seasonal. I've been shedding a bit the last two weeks or so, which annoys me, but isn't at the level where I'm worried about it yet. Lots of folks have spring and/or fall sheds, it seems.

LadyJennifer
August 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I really hope that's all it is!

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I don't count my shed hairs but I notice sometimes I shed more than other times...I refer to it as "blowing out my coat" kinda like what my dog does, lol.

akuamoonmaui
August 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
It might be hormonally related still. I didn't feel I was back to my pre-pregnancy self until about 2 years after my daughter was born. About ten years later, I also went through a phase of seemingly excessive shedding at one point, too, I don't know what it was about, I didn't feel like I was stressed and I hadn't changed me diet, products or anything else. It was a mystery. Maybe just the aging process (ack!)

bunzfan
August 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I started shedding about two weeks ago and cannot figure out why. I am breastfeeding my 13.5 month-old, and have already had a postpartum shed months and months ago. After I came to LHC in Jan. I started CO and was only shedding like 15-20 hairs each shower (I counted). Now it's like over 100 and maybe 200! (I'm scared to count but the hairball in the shower is huge!!). I have not done anything differently. I eat the same, I exercise the same. I wash my hair the same (same products and frequency). I have used monistat a couple of months ago, but never noticed an increase in shedding after stopping, and it's been a while since. I took MSM for a few months, ran out, and now am taking it again (for a few weeks now), so I don't think that's it.
I'm not pregnant, and don't have my periods yet after DS. Anyone have any idea why I'm shedding like this?

I had thicker hair when pregnant and my hair didn't go back to normal until i stopped breastfeeding 7 months a go if that helps at all, i was told that you can lose a fair bit of hair while your body is adjusting.

LadyJennifer
August 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I had thicker hair when pregnant and my hair didn't go back to normal until i stopped breastfeeding 7 months a go if that helps at all, i was told that you can lose a fair bit of hair while your body is adjusting.

I breastfed my DD for 2 years before I had my son, and never noticed anything like this. It probably is just hormones - they seem to be to blame for everything! lol

girlcat36
August 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
You could get your thyroid checked. When I am hypothyroid, I go from losing 30-40 hairs per shower to 100-300 per shower.
Sometimes pregnancy can do wacky things to your thyroid.
It would be important to check your free T3 level, specifically.

Gvnagitlvgei
August 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Is it me or has anyone else noticed how many people are shedding more than they've ever shed before? I thought it was just my bad combing (hehe) or perhaps the wrong conditioner etc., but I've come across so many people in diff. parts of the world online who are shedding. Maybe it's just that I noticed because I had the problem...but excessive shedding seems to be everywhere!

JenniferNoel
August 29th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Is it me or has anyone else noticed how many people are shedding more than they've ever shed before? I thought it was just my bad combing (hehe) or perhaps the wrong conditioner etc., but I've come across so many people in diff. parts of the world online who are shedding. Maybe it's just that I noticed because I had the problem...but excessive shedding seems to be everywhere!

2012 is coming!
Heh, nah, just kidding, but I always shed a little more in late August/early September. Absolutely seasonal for me, it's like clockwork. End of summer stress for some people maybe? It's weird.

IcarusBride
August 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I've also been excessively shedding lately :( I've no advice for you but I offer my condolences. I know how it feels!

urara12
August 29th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I've also been excessively shedding lately :( I've no advice for you but I offer my condolences. I know how it feels!

same....:( also lot shedding again here.

Juneii
August 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM
seasonal is my explanation. Just about a month ago i had my seasonal shed, it freaked me out a bit until one day it just stopped raining hair from my head.

Othala
August 29th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I think it is probably seasonal shedding too. My hair is falling a lot, like autumn leaves, but I can see that the leaves on our trees and plants are starting to do the same. We are part of nature, so I see this as my body doing it's normal thing.

If your shed continues longer than a month then I suggest you look for other causes, but I don;t think you should worry right now.

LadyJennifer
August 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I am hoping it's just seasonal, and I'm going to try and not worry about it for now. It makes me wonder though, because my two kids were both born in July, and I would have a shed around now that I thought was bad post partum shed, maybe it was seasonal and post partum and that's why it was so bad.

Gvnagitlvgei
September 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I wonder why we would shed before winter though, we're supposed to get hairier lol.

aries
September 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I have been shedding like crazy for several years now due to hypothyroidism. Still don't have my meds right and it's taking forever. The only thing I can tell you is to watch your shed amounts and if it continues heavily for about a month, as someone previously stated, check with a doc and have some blood work done. I also had hair loss after having each of my children but it grew back in time.

My thyroid has caused me to lose over half of my thickness and given me dry/brittle hair as well. I am doing CO and keeping my hair as moisturized as possible while trying to keep it in my head.

It's terrifying to go through but there are people out there that can support you no matter what the problem, if there even is one.

Look at your diet and stress levels as well. They can play a major factor in hair loss.

Eniratak
September 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
My boyfriend and I have been shedding like crazy.
Of course, my hairs are a little more noticeable, but he's been complaining about his hair. He's afraid he's balding early.

As for me, I thought it might be my new birth control, but I'm not sure if that's it or if it actually is seasonal shedding.