PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded bike helmet

smileycat
August 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone else here an avid bike rider?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on managing the mane/bike helmet thing. I currently ponytail and thread through the back of my helmet. The problem is that wearing my hair up causes my hair to break off at the hairline, and additionally I suspect my helmet rubbing on my hairline is also causing breakage.

Any suggestions? I thought about trying a stretchy headband under my helmet to cover my hairline.

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I do a low half-up/sport bun or a "Dianyla" english braid...you could try wearing a Buff to cover up your scalp etc hair?

My nearly bald husband wears a Buff under his cycling helmet (he's on a 50 miler today) to keep the sun off his scalp and to keep the sweat out of his face etc.

Igor
August 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
What about having a silk scarf under? It will keep the friction down and cover your hair from sun fading

MandyBeth
August 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Buff under works. Tho that's an area that I go for safety over hair.

swanns
August 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I cycled to work almost every day this summer, and finally bought a helmet after ten years of cycling without one! Most of the time I just braid my hair into a normal English braid, I've found this to be the only way for me to manage it. Sometimes I also managed to do a low enough bun to still fit the helmet on my head.

torrilin
August 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
English braids, French braids, either single or pigtails. Low ponytails, so at the nape of my neck not up high. Low buns, ditto. A French twist should work in theory, but my hair is too slippery for one in practice. Gibson tuck, ditto.

I have to be really mean to my hair to have much breakage, so I'd worry that yours is badly damaged. Healthy fine and straight hair is usually incredibly slippery, which means a lot of things that would usually cause breakage just cause it to slip and slide...

Anje
August 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
English braid + Buff for me, too. I've taken to doubling the braid back up to make a loop, which helps keep it from swinging at the top tube of the bike, which annoys me.

becker
August 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I bike a ton and just do a low ponytail plus helmet, will change this to a braid and helmet once my hair is finally long enough. The buff idea sounds promising. Could you try a very thin beanie?

teela1978
August 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Depending on the helmet a very low bun can work. Usually I just go with an english braid though.

smileycat
August 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
[quote=torrilin;1232596

I have to be really mean to my hair to have much breakage, so I'd worry that yours is badly damaged. Healthy fine and straight hair is usually incredibly slippery, which means a lot of things that would usually cause breakage just cause it to slip and slide...[/quote]

I only experience the breakage along my hairline in the front (temple to temple, pretty much) where my hair is baby-fine. Otherwise my hair is the super slippery healthy variety. My stylist complains that my hair is her hardest cut and tries to urge me to "damage it up" with color!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I already ordered a buff after reading the suggestion a couple of times. I guess I never thought that a plain old helmet liner would also work, but then I equate a helmet liner with winter! I definitely will try braiding. Thanks again!

HikerTrash
August 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I loosen up the helmet and wear a hat underneath. I put my hair in a braid. Ponytails seem to break it around the elastic.

eternallyverdan
August 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Do you part your hair before you style it? If not, that may be contributing to the breakage at the hairline. I find that parting your hair evens out the weight of an updo instead of having the majority of your bun or braid pulling from the hairline.

Hiriel
August 29th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Another vote for English braid + buff :)

PLH
August 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I wear a helmet for many hours each week and just tie my hair back in a ratty pony tail. It works itself loose and every so often I take the helmet off and re-tie my hair.

smileycat
August 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I knew I would find good suggestions here! Better than the biking forums. I must admit, this issue is the main reason I forged ahead and joined LHC! Thank you all!

Riding is a must, and so is the helmet.