PDA

View Full Version : split ends!!

baaaad_kitty
August 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hello all! I've been really worried about my split ends. I've been S&D-ing a lot lately and I noticed that the more I look for them, the more I see. Not so happy with that. I have previously chemically dyed hair, and the ends of those hairs have a lot of splits. Now I don't feel like having my hair trimmed, as some of the dyed parts are in the shorter layers of my hair, and trimming just the ends will not solve the many split problem.

What do I do?? Do I just keep on S&D-ing? Should I cut my hair until the shortest layer?? But that's like chin length and the thought just makes me cry. Help!

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
How about keep S&D, grow a bit, tiny trim, grow some more, tiny trim etc, I guess they call it dusting? I don't think it's necessary to le chop it all off...

spidermom
August 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I think you'll need to get regular small trims - perhaps 1/2 inch off every 3 months. Plus S&D when you feel like it.

haibane
August 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Are you using sharp hair scissors? S&Ding with blunt scissors can cause splits to form again really fast.

twilight_faerie
August 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think you'll need to get regular small trims - perhaps 1/2 inch off every 3 months. Plus S&D when you feel like it.

This. I've also got old layers with plenty of splits, and this is what I do. No matter how much S&Ding I do, I always find more splits, but at least there are fewer and fewer every time.

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Are you using sharp hair scissors? S&Ding with blunt scissors can cause splits to form again really fast.

Good advice - I forgot about that (I use embroidery shaaarp scissors, myself.)

Anje
August 28th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Keeping up the S&D will help you keep the most length, for course. You might also want to find a trusted stylist who can take a small amount off the ends of the layers, rather than cutting it all the way back and blunt. Even if you're growing them out, if you take more off the length than the layers, you'll be making progress.

buzzlegum
August 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
You should get special hairdresser's scissors and use them for hair ONLY. But if that doesn't help, just baby your ends and have small trims regularly. And tell yourself that you'll be looking for splits every month or twice a month or so and don't do it on other days. You'll just make yourself more upset that way.

IStand4u
August 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I have the same problem, so I will be sticking around this thread to find some more advice :) Your not alone, hang in there! We will get through it together:)

heynormy
August 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I had the same problem, plus white dots from previous heat damage! I just got my hair trimmed 1/2 inch today, and I must say my ends (and hair overall) feel great!! I would S&D for hours, but I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, so for me the answer was a small trim! :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Some of us have hair that just need trims.. no matter what I do to mine it will split and if I don't trim, it will break. I'm growing out layers and bleach but I still chemically dye my roots. What I do is I try to oil really heavily once a week (twice a month at least), wear my hair up as often as I can, and S&D when I think of it.. if your hair has been color treated you might also be needing moisture and protein treatments.

Since it sounds like you're wanting to keep your length (like me) what I would suggest is S&D and go for regular trims.. you won't have to go every 8 weeks or anything like that but a few times a year. Last year I was able to go every 6mos while this year I have had to go a little more often. You can still keep your length and grow out damage, I am proof of that! :)

missfortune9335
August 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I would go to the salon and see a trusted stylist. Tell them about your goals and ask then to do a dry trim, as small an amount as possible. If you do that every three months and S&D in between you should be able to keep up with the damage and still grow. Good luck to you!

buzzlegum
August 28th, 2010, 09:18 PM
It's great that trims are working for you guys, but my hair didn't exactly look better when I still had regular trims. The onyl difference was really the length. :( And now I don't even have bluntly cut hair anymore, so it's even trickier.

McFearless
August 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I think you should get a small trim. Do that every 3 months or so. S&D in between trims. At first you will see so many splits, but after S&Ding for a while they will start to disappear.

baaaad_kitty
August 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
hi guys. thanks for the help! i think i'll try and have a tiny trim done. but first, I have to find a really nice salon where they will cut only .5 inch. Some salons I've been to that say they'll give me a 1 inch trim end up giving me about 2 or 3 inches off.

baaaad_kitty
August 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
oh and about the S&D, yes I do use hair scissors only that haven't cut anything but hair :)
I think another problem when I S&D is that I mistake the normal ends for splits :|

Kateelizabee
August 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I asked about trimming in my introduction post, and got this link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146

I haven't been brave enough to try it, maybe if you had a trusted friend?

Antipodienne
August 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but make sure that the scissors you are using are SHARP. If they are too dull, they crush the ends of your hair, which aggravates your hair if it's already fragile and even causes more splits. This could be why you're seeing more of them. :)

baaaad_kitty
August 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but make sure that the scissors you are using are SHARP. If they are too dull, they crush the ends of your hair, which aggravates your hair if it's already fragile and even causes more splits. This could be why you're seeing more of them. :)

yup, ok! How do I know if the scissors are sharp enough?

Antipodienne
September 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Just buy a pair for use ONLY on hair, and if you have a knife sharpener, you can give them a pass every once in a while so they keep their edge. If you buy a really nice pair, have them professionally sharpened once per year or so.

christine1989
September 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
It sounds like you should just do some serious S&D until the short, dyed layers are long enough for a proper trim.