PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton's Long Hair

Yozhik
August 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hello all,

I saw this article in the Washington Post that I thought you all might find interesting -- about how Hillary Clinton is sporting longer hair than the "age-appropriate" rule.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/27/AR2010082702109.html?wpisrc=nl_cuzhead

Good for her, I say :)

Some questions for discussion:

Do you think that by focusing media attention on Hillary's hair we're just giving too much scrutiny to public figures?

Or will this perhaps make more people realize that they, too, can buck the trends?

Also, please check out the photo gallery (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/08/26/GA2010082604093.html?sid=ST2010082702181) that is attached to the article. It features other political figures and actresses who are older and have (relatively) long hair, too :)

I hope you all enjoy, and I'm eager to hear everyone's reactions :drama:

kwaniesiam
August 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Her hair is hardly shoulder length, to me that isn't really that long at all. I always thought the "age rule" was hair above the shoulders after a certain age.

squiggyflop
August 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
none of the women in the album have long hair.. im so confused..
i dont see any long hair at all.. whats going on?

Juneii
August 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I'm perplexed as well, their hair is "long" yes, but it's not even that long compared to the general public (much less LHC). Oh, well, long hair is in the eye of the beholder I guess :)

Yozhik
August 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I guess I was a bit perplexed about the article's definition of "long" hair, too, but hey, progress is progress, right? I mean, most of the women who are my mom's age and older all have hairdos that don't even touch their shoulders -- like bobs to pixie length. So perhaps going to shoulder length is a big leap for these women? After all, by non-LHC standards, longer than shoulder-length hair tends to be lumped into the category of "long hair" . . .

My mother, actually, recently cut her APL hair to ear-length :( She likes it because it's cooler, but she was a bit perplexed by one of her co-workers saying that she looks younger and more professional. I mean -- she hasn't changed, nor has her professionalism, the way she dresses, and the way she manages her job. :confused:

May
August 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I guess I was a bit perplexed about the article's definition of "long" hair, too, but hey, progress is progress, right? I mean, most of the women who are my mom's age and older all have hairdos that don't even touch their shoulders -- like bobs to pixie length. So perhaps going to shoulder length is a big leap for these women? After all, by non-LHC standards, longer than shoulder-length hair tends to be lumped into the category of "long hair" . . .

My mother, actually, recently cut her APL hair to ear-length :( She likes it because it's cooler, but she was a bit perplexed by one of her co-workers saying that she looks younger and more professional. I mean -- she hasn't changed, nor has her professionalism, the way she dresses, and the way she manages her job. :confused:

Well *she* hasn't changed but a haircut or style can and does change the way someone looks and the image they project...It's why people get makeovers...hey and sometimes a change can actually make someone feel different and thus act different. I love makeover shows :D

sarah061
August 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I think it's so bizarre that they're calling that length of hair long - even for a woman of that age, I think that hardly counts as long.

I really hope though, that seeing this encourages more women to keep their hair long. I know my mom, for one, chopped her hair off into a pixie cut after I was born and has had it ever since because she thinks she'd "look ridiculous" with it any longer.

This quote made me sad:
long locks are a sign of vibrancy and sexiness, it's a social contradiction to see such styles on women who have wrinkles and crow's-feet.

How offensive! Women with wrinkles can still be sexy. I really hope that mainstream society changes its views about this :(

Ivy~Rose
August 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
That's cool, I'm happy for her. It seems funny to me to read "She got a longer hairdo," though (in the photo gallery, not the article) - almost makes it sound like she got extensions, rather than *gasp* let her hair grow another inch or two. It almost sounds they want to say she got a new haircut, but didn't know how to make that work.

She used to have long hair back in the day (yep, found proof (http://gabbonesso.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hillaryclinton1960s.jpg)).

Themyst
August 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Holy cow, NECK LENGTH is longer than usual for a woman her age? Give me a break.

If anything, the article makes a real freak out of women like me then.

ETA: I didn't read the article. Apparently, it is pro-long hair.

virgo75
August 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I find it kind of sad that a woman of a "certain age" is considered a "rebel" if she has hair to her neck. :shake:

I mean, once you reach "the cut off"(whatever age that is), are you just supposed to shave your head??? Is there a 4 inch maximum rule somewhere?

I can't remember the last time I saw something more lovely than a long, silver braid.
It's ridiculous that women are supposed to be naked and have acceptably long hair(BSL) when they're under 30-35(40? Not sure the age, I threw my rule book away), then wear pantsuits and get a crew cut after that.

Women should be able to define their femininity how they see fit.

Sorry for the rant.

Peggy E.
August 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The media has always had a problem with Hillary's hair. I recall when Bill was running for his first term and Hillary had a shoulder-length style she always wore back with a headband to keep it neat.

I must have been about the only person in the world who thought she looked so much nicer with her hair in this longer, freer and far more complimentary style than she did in the hacked short, tons of spray, helmet "adult" style with which she'd caved and replaced it.

And, yes, that business about long hair being sexy and, accordingly, "ludicrous" on older women is a vicious and undeserving attack upon millions of women who are, indeed, confident, beautiful, sexy creatures.

What a jerk!....

SilvraShadows
August 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Her hair is hardly long at all, but read the article. It's a good one.

"Conventional wisdom advises that after a certain age -- 50ish -- women should cut their hair. It's impossible to trace this bit of advice to the first tyrant who uttered it..." The author is clearly a long-hair advocate...;) She goes on to say, "This belief remains stubbornly unchanged..."

"Clinton's hair, now creeping toward below-the-shoulders territory, is practically radical for Washington's seasoned female power elite. Good for her." So the author acknowledges Clinton's hair is not long yet, but getting there.

I found the article to be a good one with a sense of humor. She brings up the point that some argue age and long hair is not a good idea... with a bit of satire.

"Another popular argument.... a face that is showing the effects of gravity... should steer clear of anything that might make it look even longer in the tooth." "Throw into the conversation the attitude that long locks are tools of flirtation. They are a handy excuse for a toss of the head; a strand might have to be girlishly flicked out of one's eyes or coyly tucked behind the ear. May a 60-year-old woman flirt? Or does her age imply that she must be beyond that sort of giddiness?" She mentions that today, women are in much better shape and being 40, 50, 60 is not old anymore. We live in an era "when many 40-year-olds have more toned and fit physiques than a lot of teenagers" ...and she goes on to say... "What determines whether something is age-appropriate? If a pair of thighs look good in a miniskirt or skinny jeans, what does age have to do with the decision?" I agree.

Taken out of context, these comments can be misunderstood, but I would encourage one to read the whole article. It's witty and funny. I enjoyed it!

"What resonates more broadly is the length... ...a hairstyle became a silent reminder that cultural assumptions do more damage to women as they age than any poorly chosen frock ever could."

Thank you for sharing this article!

Yozhik
August 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Silvrashadows, I enjoyed the article, too, and I found the author very sympathetic to long hair, as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Ivy~Rose, I love your proof of her longer hair!

SilvraShadows
August 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Silvrashadows, I enjoyed the article, too, and I found the author very sympathetic to long hair, as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Ivy~Rose, I love your proof of her longer hair!

Oh don't look at mine, it's a poor example, but I don't live for other people... and my journey isn't over yet! But thank you...

bte
August 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Washington Post must have too little real news to report.

It's certainly a change from the very short style she had had recently. If she grows it back to the length it was in the 1960s that would indeed be significant.

AlleyKitten
August 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
The thing that gets me is that so much more attention is paid to the appearance of female politicians and public figures than to that of men. Nobody cares what Barack Obama's wearing, but when Michelle Obama wears something sleeveless, it hits the news. We never read about Bill Clinton's hair, but somehow Hillary Clinton's is newsworthy.

I don't like this focus on the personal lives of public figures at all, but I like the double standard even less.

swivelhop
August 28th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Slow day in the news. Time to find a photo and write an article for it.
I'd gamble any objection to a political figures hair is about thier "position" and the sense in the New World that they should have nothing visibly frivolous or luxurious. Does anyone even know how long Yulia Tymoshenko's hair is? How about the British queens? What it really takes to rule a Nation is a ton of hair and a really long neck.

As for 'age appropriate' hair. All the older ladies I knew growing up had... 'old lady buns' so they must of had long hair.

Speedbump
August 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I don't consider any of the women in the photo gallery to have long hair. Has it really gotten to the point that it's "defiant" to not have your hair as short as most men once you are past 30? :confused:

curls2grow
August 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think Hillary's "longer" hair looks great. I didn't like her shorter cuts.

Prettyeyes23
August 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I know very little about Hilary Clinton, but she must have a lot of people interested in her life in the USA if they do an article on this!

slz
August 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
The thing that gets me is that so much more attention is paid to the appearance of female politicians and public figures than to that of men. Nobody cares what Barack Obama's wearing, but when Michelle Obama wears something sleeveless, it hits the news. We never read about Bill Clinton's hair, but somehow Hillary Clinton's is newsworthy.

I don't like this focus on the personal lives of public figures at all, but I like the double standard even less.
THIS. I was going to say something like "how sad is it, that all they have to say about female politicians is talk about their hair?".
Makes me sad. And angry.

princessp
August 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Wow, that was a very interesting and well written article. As for the her hair, hooray Hilary! I am glad she is doing what she wants. It's horrible that women in politics are scrutinized like this. It really is disrespectful to these smart and accomplished women that the national conversation strays to areas other than their policies. I guess the same thing does happens to men, just in a different way.

Nobody cares what Barack Obama's wearing, but when Michelle Obama wears something sleeveless, it hits the news. It does happen, remember when all that fuss was made about the President wearing "mom jeans". But I get your point and I think for the most part this is true. I really don't care what anyone does with/in their personal lives (unless they are actively promoting something contrary to what they believe/are e.g. Ken Mehlman).

jane53
August 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
If that's long hair, I'm a giant grizzly bear. (Full disclosure: I am not a bear of any sort.)

That said, she should be able to wear her hair any length.

missfortune9335
August 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The article (and photo gallery) are saying that her hair is longer than what is generally accepted in Washington, which is true. I say good for her, everyone likes a little change now and then :)

going gray
August 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Enjoyed the article & hair photos, thanks for sharing them.

Nae
August 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hey! This is great! That means my measly 20 inches counts as long hair now!!!! YAY!:happydance: Okay, I am turning the sarcasm off now lol.

Really, Hillary can wear her hair however she likes and it seems pretty idiotic to me that serious news organizations are wasting ink on a couple of inches of hair. Ah well, I guess there was absolutely nothing else happening anywhere in the ENTIRE world. :rolleyes:

Oh brother, there is the sarcasm again. I think I must be up past my bedtime, I am feeling grouchy lol.

prosperina
August 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I don't consider any of the women in the photo gallery to have long hair. Has it really gotten to the point that it's "defiant" to not have your hair as short as most men once you are past 30? :confused:

Yeah. That was my first impression as well.

That being said, in the context of Washington I think her hair is long. :shrug: And the longer style looks much better on her. Although I have always thought she was attractive.

I agree with those that say it must be a slow news day and that women shouldn't be scrutinized in these ways (after all men are not), but what I find interesting about these articles and observations and stupid fashion rules is that we (as a culture) still seemed to be negotiating what is feminine, what is serious and what is professional and admissible for women. Now if only people could stop pitting these three things against each other. I think some people (the ones who say longish hair is unprofessional or not becoming to older women) must really think that femininity and sexual appeal are incompatible with seriousness and maturity.

As someone said above, sometimes it seems like younger women are expected to have the requiste BSL hair and revealing clothing and older women the short bob or helmet hair and no s*x appeal. Obviously I'm painting with some broad strokes here, but I do think we're still ambivalent about women in power and women's sexuality. :two cents:

EDIT: Oops. I realize I kind of echoed the article. Didn't mean to do that. It was a really great article though.

GoddesJourney
August 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Strange this idea that women in politics have to have men's haircuts. I think it just feeds the notion that these are "masculine" jobs since the women who are permitted to work them must comform to the style of men. I'm glad at least women are able to show that hair grows out of their heads now in certain offices. They work with men, but they shouldn't have to look like men with makeup just to be accepted. Maybe if this continues and is accepted, one day men will be allowed to have longer hair as professionals as well. I thought it was the brain located somewhere under all that hair that is supposed to aid in working. I guess not everyone sees it that way.

noelgirl
August 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
The thing that gets me is, how much progress have we made if women aren't taken seriously unless we come in this particular package? That it's only when we neutralize our gender that we're anything other than eye candy? If it's progress at the cost of our individuality, with our differences swept under the rug, that isn't progress at all in my opinion.

jaine
August 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Male politicians are scrutinized for their appearance too...remember the $400 haircut?

Ravenwaves 88
August 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
That was an excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

Caldonia Sun
April 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
"Bump"

Hillary really is looking good with the longer hair. It softens her face so much.

Anyone notice lately?

Scarlet_Heart
April 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Oh come on guys, "that's not long!" is just us being used to seeing each other on LHC. Of course that's not long to us, but for a female politician it is very long. It's a symptom of the problem, in my eyes, in which we make women think that if we are to perceive them as strong or viable, they must look and behave like men! Short hair, suit, masculine. I applaud Hilary Clinton for pushing the envelope a bit and sporting decidedly feminine hair. :cheer: (and I'm a Republican!) :blueeek:

Aud200
April 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Oh come on guys, "that's not long!" is just us being used to seeing each other on LHC. Of course that's not long to us, but for a female politician it is very long. It's a symptom of the problem, in my eyes, in which we make women think that if we are to perceive them as strong or viable, they must look and behave like men! Short hair, suit, masculine. I applaud Hilary Clinton for pushing the envelope a bit and sporting decidedly feminine hair. :cheer:

Very true. And in the particular picture I think her hair is even pushed up and softened so that it actually looks shorter than it really is! I swear I have seen her on TV recently with longer hair.

"Bump"

Hillary really is looking good with the longer hair. It softens her face so much.

Anyone notice lately?

Agreed..her features are definitely complemented by the softer look that drapes more around her face!

ElvenArchess
April 4th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm proud of her, it looks good on her. Regardless of anything political I think she's doing something wonderful, and it's so simple. More women above forty should have longer hair. It shouldn't be reserved only for youth.

I can't wait to have long, shiny grey hair, I simply can't! I've wanted grey hair, crow's feet, and laugh lines since I was a little girl. To me it's the perfect definition of beauty in age; showing you're wise and have had long, meaningful laughs and experiences.. It's lovely.

GlennaGirl
April 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
You're kidding me -- that's long and rebellious??? Even by a politician's terms that's a very "normal" woman's length hair.

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
She's the Secretary of State for god's sake, and people are talking about her hair. Yet another example of how women's bodies are public property and up for scrutiny while men in similar positions of power and/or wealth get to be appreciated for their minds (Donald Trump's horrific combover not withstanding).

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM
"Bump"

Anyone notice lately?

Is it longer than in that article now? (I am from the UK)

Yozhik
April 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Firefox, here's a link to a photo (http://dailyqi.com/?p=32055) of her from March 23, 2011. It does look a bit longer -- she must definitely be growing it! I wonder how long she wants it? :hmm:

squee
April 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
yeah that is not long hair, some of those "long hairs" had shorter hair then her.

humans are odd

mrsbob
April 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey! This is great! That means my measly 20 inches counts as long hair now!!!! YAY!:happydance: Okay, I am turning the sarcasm off now lol.

Really, Hillary can wear her hair however she likes and it seems pretty idiotic to me that serious news organizations are wasting ink on a couple of inches of hair. Ah well, I guess there was absolutely nothing else happening anywhere in the ENTIRE world. :rolleyes:

Oh brother, there is the sarcasm again. I think I must be up past my bedtime, I am feeling grouchy lol.

You crack me up. And...my measly 20" must be considered long as well! :eyebrows:

I loved the article...it was very interesting. And I just love Hilary's new softer do! I was also one of the few that liked the cute bangs and headband she wore way back when. Sarah Palin, also has great hair!
Oh...and I don't remember now who mentioned it...but I had to laugh TOTALLY outloud at the reminder of the prez' Mom Jeans!!! Oh those were baaaad!

Hey, if you're in the public eye, you are going to get scrutinized.

I am 53 and will not conform to short hair. The way I always look at this is ... I didn't look good with short hair when I was young, why in the world would I look good in it now??? Long hair that is well maintained and cared for is great...it's softening and you can hide under it! LOL!

Great article, thanks for sharing!!!

mrsbob
April 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm proud of her, it looks good on her. Regardless of anything political I think she's doing something wonderful, and it's so simple. More women above forty should have longer hair. It shouldn't be reserved only for youth.

I can't wait to have long, shiny grey hair, I simply can't! I've wanted grey hair, crow's feet, and laugh lines since I was a little girl. To me it's the perfect definition of beauty in age; showing you're wise and have had long, meaningful laughs and experiences.. It's lovely.

Love this. And agree 100%!!!

GlennaGirl
April 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Firefox, here's a link to a photo (http://dailyqi.com/?p=32055) of her from March 23, 2011. It does look a bit longer -- she must definitely be growing it! I wonder how long she wants it? :hmm:

I like it. :)

NouvelleNymphe2
April 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM

What a great point AlleyKitten!

Artisticat
June 3rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hilary Clinton rocking a ponytail and looking quite FAB as she dines with Norweigian Royals!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/hillary-clinton-norway_n_1563374.html?ref=style#s=1047558

spidermom
June 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Good for her!

jessica77
June 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
That is definitely not long.. even for her age

Tabihito
June 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
While it's not long for a member of the general public perhaps, her hair is rather long for a female political figure of her age. My mom and I noticed during the State of the Union coverage that her hair was getting longer, we thought it looked nice.

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
none of the women in the album have long hair.. im so confused..

It's media's assessment of what defines "long"... that's all. It's a media event. If I were her, I'd consider asking media to stop talking about my hair and assist instead in applying more pressure to Syria and stop the genocide of their own people, and especially the children. But what do I know...I can't even get a yob (job).

heidi w.

Carolyn
June 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Good for her! I think her hair looks great. I remember when her hair was even longer and she got a lot of pressure to cut it.

I know this is a few years old but I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/Susie_Queue/Girlfriends.jpg

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't see why the public has to focus on someone's hair. What's so wrong with her wearing her hair long?

henné
June 3rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former Ukrainian Prime Minister:

http://www.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/YuliaTymoshenko_AP_24April.jpg

Now, that's 'long' ...

:D

I think people should seriously get over these old musty stereotypes ...

Jessibear2854
June 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Yet another reason I ♥ Hillary!

catamonica
June 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
I saw a recent picture of Hillary. I think her hair is a little past the shoulders. She looks better. I think she does not care what other people think, about her hair. Shes going to wear it how she wants to wear it.

Jing
June 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
"Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton serves as further proof that women do not have to kowtow to expectations, rules of thumb or other quietly bullying cultural assumptions."

"Conventional wisdom advises that after a certain age -- 50ish -- women should cut their hair. It's impossible to trace this bit of advice to the first tyrant who uttered it."

"She finally found a style that was a keeper, and even loosed her own wry humor over the outsize media interest in a woman's right to play with her hair."

Why is anyone complaining about this article? It's saying exactly the same things we are. And I don't know how many threads I've seen here mentioning how women over 40 all get pixie cuts, so how is below chin length not comparatively long for someone her age?

ratgirldjh
June 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM

Funny - when I cut my almost waist length hair to chin length last summer I had several people tell me the same! It seemed cooler at first but when it grew like 1/2" it felt hot again and it was too short to put up! I had to resort to several little pony tails!!! LOL I prefer longer hair since I can put it up when it bothers me! But already I've had several people ask me if I'm going to cut my hair short again - seems they miss it! :confused: I don't.

Also I think Hilary's hair looks nicer than any of these other women.

jillosity
June 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have 3 words for this article: Slow News Day

Artisticat
June 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Love this of the two of them! Never saw this pic of Bill with "long" hair before. :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Srbr7Wvfnes/TCjS9_9yGSI/AAAAAAAAPpA/Ek5wEwTi0o4/s1600/bill-hillary-clinton.jpg

Nedertane
June 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
I don't know If this was pointed out, but I don't think that's a recent picture of her. I remember seeing a camera focus on hee during one of Obama's last speeches, and I could SWEAR her hair was more like APL. In that case it's definitely longer than your typical American female politician of that age. I think she looks nice, and hopefully it does help people get over this long hair "stigma". :D

AnqeIicDemise
June 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Oh don't look at mine, it's a poor example, but I don't live for other people... and my journey isn't over yet! But thank you...

Well, I simply adore the color of your hair. I found two silvers yesterday-- not whites, not grays, SILVERS. I'm excited that I was blessed with grandma's genes but irritated that it'll take me a lifetime to get the full head of hair. :P

That I'm not even 30 yet, so I'm kind of torn about having them sneaking up on me now.

But I digress; I fully intend on rocking out hip-long hair in my 60s and beyond. Woo!

PS: the article doesn't work for me, so I'm a little sad.

elbow chic
June 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Oh my god I love that picture. I saw it on Cracked the other day, with a photo of Jeff Bridges from "The Big Lebowski" for comparison. Soooo funny.

Yozhik
June 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'm glad this thread got revived. :)

To those who are reading it more recently -- it's from two years ago, so that's why maybe the link doesn't work/her hair is much shorter than it is now.

I think it's even more admirable now that she's sticking with growing it out and it's gotten quite long. Good for her, being comfortable or confident enough to break the mold of the "political woman" haircut. Now that I think of it, I think it's mostly only the younger female politicians who have close to APL length hair, but even then, it's very controlled and styled in place, whereas hers is more low-maintenance with a simple ponytail.

Sivan
June 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I find it kind of sad that a woman of a "certain age" is considered a "rebel" if she has hair to her neck. :shake:

I mean, once you reach "the cut off"(whatever age that is), are you just supposed to shave your head??? Is there a 4 inch maximum rule somewhere?

I can't remember the last time I saw something more lovely than a long, silver braid.
It's ridiculous that women are supposed to be naked and have acceptably long hair(BSL) when they're under 30-35(40? Not sure the age, I threw my rule book away), then wear pantsuits and get a crew cut after that.

Women should be able to define their femininity how they see fit.

Sorry for the rant.

Completely agree with all this!!
I also hate the societal pressure to get "mom hair". Like you've properly graduated to parenthood/adulthood. Please!

Nedertane
June 4th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Hold up, y'all, this photo is from her at the State of the Union speech: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/sgarbIsn9kB/Obama+Address+National+Prayer+Breakfast/WmrBDiTNGLN/Hillary+Clinton

If it wasn't styled the way it is, wouldn't it be a couple inches past shoulders, i.e. "long for her age"?

GlennaGirl
June 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Oh my god I love that picture. I saw it on Cracked the other day, with a photo of Jeff Bridges from "The Big Lebowski" for comparison. Soooo funny.

Ah ha ha ha ha, that is all kinds of awesome.

Artisticat
June 4th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'm hoping somehow she will read this thread (or an aide will pass it along to her) so that she knows we support her "letting her hair down"!:cheer:

Love this pic of her dancing in Columbia back in April! :bottomsup:

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/theticket/clinton-dancing-afp.jpg

constructamane
June 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have been following Hilary since she started to grow her hair...I am her age, and I wouldn't say that she totally inspired me to take the plunge, but it is reassuring to me to know that a woman of power and prestige has the guts, like me, to do WHAT SHE WANTS WITH HER HAIR!I say Bravo Hilary!
FYI...this is an OLD picture of her (and a not very flattering one at that....? on purpose).Her hair now is approaching APL. I have seen it beyond her shoulders, sometimes pulled back.
and sarah061......yes it is offensive, sexist, and age discriminatory....... A women's hair is part of her self identity.
Yozhik....maybe the Washington Post needs to check out us Renegrays!!!

shutterpillar
June 5th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I always always see an older woman with long, gray hair out in public and think how beautiful she looks. I have always felt that way, even before I was actively trying to grow my hair. It is a shame that most of the public (at least in the United States... not sure about other countries) thinks that the older you get, the shorter your hair must get.

Even if the women in this article do not have long hair by our LHC standards, I think it is good that at least some publicity is getting out there that it is perfectly fine for women older than 40 to have long hair.

mendy
June 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Oooh, watching Hillary (and her hair) now on PBS! It's very blonde (highlights), wavy and past her shoulders, very flowy and loose...love! She's wearing pink also -- she looks very feminine indeed!

Dragon Faery
June 20th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I haven't read all the comments yet, but I did just finish reading the article. While I wouldn't call her hair "long" by LHC standards at all, I thought that the general tone of the article was great. Well-written and well-reasoned, it pointed out how ridiculous our societal standards of what is "acceptable" can be, and how pointless the media's bickering over hair is. And for that, I applaud it wholeheartedly. Thank you to the OP for posting! :) :flower:

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 11:59 PM
One reason I love this forum is that I see so many of you lovely silver haired ladies with beautiful looooong hair!! My mom's hair has been cut short (like Demi Moore's in Ghost) since I was born, and she refuses to grow it back out, even though she compliments the length and shine of my hair. She and my aunt both told me I'll look ridiculous with long hair when I get older, but I think that's more a cultural idea taken root in their heads than any sort of truth. I'll always have long hair, and I applaud Hilary for deciding it's okay to grow hers out!!

ariesfairies
June 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Ridiculous, "long length". I want my hair as long as can be when I reach my elder years. The reason why it's not accepted is that it's harder for older women to reach the back of their head I suppose. I'll hire someone to brush it :P

I doubt it will change people to go against the grain and try different styles/lengths... it probably will just get in fashion and then everyone will follow it..

Theobroma
June 21st, 2012, 04:52 AM
I haven't read all eight pages of this thread, so I apologise if someone else has beaten me to this, but I was quite pleased to note that the article used the word "bullying" in connection with the pressure on older women to cut their hair. Because bullying is exactly what it is!

(And sexist bullying, too. I don't see male politicians incessantly coming under fire for their appearance the way women do.)

sibiryachka
June 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM
The most recent pix I've seen of Hillary with her longer hair pulled back have caused a realization to crystallize in my brain: I actually prefer the look of longer hair, pulled back or confined, as opposed to shorter hair worn loose. On me, anyway - and on women "of a certain age":rolleyes: When I pause to think about it, I've been enamored of updos all my life.
To my eye it looks more polished, more dignified, classic and therefore classy.
Not that I think everyone should be required to look that way, but there is a gravitas about an updo that just appeals to me, and looks appropriate on a woman in a position of power.

Elithia
June 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Ticks me off how much the media focuses on female politicians' clothes and hair.

On long hair for older women: My grandmother (hardly old-fashioned herself) said when my mom turned THIRTY, "You're going to cut your hair short now that you're 30, right?"

My mother -- who grows her hair out to her hips and then chops it about every two and a half years (it grows an inch a month, much to my jealousy) -- was so indignant. She's now a mostly-silver 44-year-old and growing it out from a bob for the umpteenth time. Not like it's a statement, but I'm proud of her anyway. :)

But my grandma is always asking me when I'm going to cut my hair off, and I'm only 20. Possibly she just likes it that way.

faellen
June 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'm gonna just throw my opinion out here and say I think she looked better with the shorter hair. Lol. Not that older women should feel pressured into getting their hair cut - I just think it suited her more when it was short.

Love Hillary btw. :D

dulce
June 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
I like her hair "longer',I feel it's a softer less harsh look and I like her streaks which show more with the extra length.Outside of LHF this is considered "long" by the general society especially for older women.

dulce
June 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
Last time I saw her on tv[a few days ago] she actually has grown her hair longer,it looked like it was to the bottom of her collarbone,now past the neck length pic of the link.

Artisticat
July 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Her hair looks pretty here (June 30, 2012) :)
http://still4hill.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/06-30-12-25.jpg?w=500

Found it on this blog:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://still4hill.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/06-30-12-25.jpg%3Fw%3D500&imgrefurl=http://still4hill.com/&usg=__Y5yAee3kiqEl1yni88uqhhKl5UU=&h=610&w=406&sz=42&hl=en&start=24&zoom=1&tbnid=USTlrEju21UmMM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=91&ei=qbP0T_G-MqTe2QXNwOHVBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhillary%2Bclinton%2Blong%2Bhair%26sta rt%3D21%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls %3Den%26tbs%3Dqdr:w%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divnso&itbs=1

autumnsdaughter
July 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
The most recent pix I've seen of Hillary with her longer hair pulled back have caused a realization to crystallize in my brain: I actually prefer the look of longer hair, pulled back or confined, as opposed to shorter hair worn loose. On me, anyway - and on women "of a certain age":rolleyes: When I pause to think about it, I've been enamored of updos all my life.
To my eye it looks more polished, more dignified, classic and therefore classy.
Not that I think everyone should be required to look that way, but there is a gravitas about an updo that just appeals to me, and looks appropriate on a woman in a position of power.

I agree! Look at how regal she looks here:
http://img.timeinc.net/time/2012/t100poll/t100poll_clinton_hillary.jpg

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Are they being seriously serious, seriously? :/

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM

This made me giggle :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yozhik
July 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I agree! Look at how regal she looks here:
http://img.timeinc.net/time/2012/t100poll/t100poll_clinton_hillary.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing this pic! She looks great here, and I definitely agree with you and Sibiryachka about updos looking elegant. :)

mrs_coffee
July 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I really like Hillary's longer hair. It looks great on her.

Artisticat
July 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hilary and her embellished scrunchie! :applause

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/685657/thumbs/o-HILLARY-CLINTON-SCRUNCHIE-570.jpg?2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/13/hillary-clinton-scrunchie_n_1671388.html?utm_hp_ref=style

duchesswannabe
July 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I'm gonna just throw my opinion out here and say I think she looked better with the shorter hair. Lol. Not that older women should feel pressured into getting their hair cut - I just think it suited her more when it was short.

Love Hillary btw. :D

I agree. I liked the shorter look. However, the updo she wears in the photo that someone provided here is flattering.

hafattack
July 14th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I go to a church where many women do not cut their hair, thus age = longer hair. These women are respected and adored as powerful women, and I love it. Most women have TBL or longer and many past their butts. It is a happy long hair place.

Amber_Maiden
July 14th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I think it's funny that they call it "long".

anniebelle
July 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Well, I am in my early 40's and have long hair for the first time since I was a child. My hair is naturally curly and thick. I was always led to believe that I could not grow long hair because it was hard to control and would frizz out. :mad: So I always got it cut around shoulder length with layers-to "thin it out".

Then I read the "Curly Girl" book and learned better ways of caring for my hair. When I stopped brushing it , it stopped looking so yukky.

Anyway I finally have long hair. It is close to waist length now and I have not intentions of chopping it off again. If someone think I am too old to have long hair, too bad.:D

Silken
July 14th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I just love how society never fails to remind women how they're "too old" for X, Y or Z... Because holy jeez, we wouldn't want women to be too comfortable with themselves, would we? Self empowered women who look the way they want??? Oh no, we can't have that... What's next? Women who DO[/i[ what they want? Who live how they want? Sleep with whomever they want, IF they want??
That is absolutely unacceptable, we have to remind these irreverent, fallen, shameful women how vulnerable and ephemerous they are, we have to remind them that they only exist as far as society tolerates and approves of them, we have to make sure they know their place and keep it, so when they are past the age of naïveté where they are easily awed, impressionable and easy to intimidate, we MUST shove them in their rightful place of meekness, submission and shame, HA!
The Salem Witch Trials may be over, be we can still find a way to quell these insolent females!

Hillary was right: A woman's place [i]IS in the house, and the senate, and... Everywhere she freaking wants to be. When she wants to be. Looking the way she wants to look. So there.

Artisticat
July 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I just love how society never fails to remind women how they're "too old" for X, Y or Z... Because holy jeez, we wouldn't want women to be too comfortable with themselves, would we? Self empowered women who look the way they want??? Oh no, we can't have that... What's next? Women who DO[/i[ what they want? Who live how they want? Sleep with whomever they want, IF they want??
That is absolutely unacceptable, we have to remind these irreverent, fallen, shameful women how vulnerable and ephemerous they are, we have to remind them that they only exist as far as society tolerates and approves of them, we have to make sure they know their place and keep it, so when they are past the age of naïveté where they are easily awed, impressionable and easy to intimidate, we MUST shove them in their rightful place of meekness, submission and shame, HA!
The Salem Witch Trials may be over, be we can still find a way to quell these insolent females!

Hillary was right: A woman's place [i]IS in the house, and the senate, and... Everywhere she freaking wants to be. When she wants to be. Looking the way she wants to look. So there.

Great post Silken! :thumbsup:

I go to a church where many women do not cut their hair, thus age = longer hair. These women are respected and adored as powerful women, and I love it. Most women have TBL or longer and many past their butts. It is a happy long hair place.

Hafattack - sounds like a wonderful place to live....especially the respect the respect and adoration part!

Micayla47
July 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
to answer the OP, yes the media is out of control scrutinizing public figures (don't get me started), but since the pictures are already out there, i will say that all the ladies in the photos look fantastic!

Yozhik
July 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I just love how society never fails to remind women how they're "too old" for X, Y or Z... Because holy jeez, we wouldn't want women to be too comfortable with themselves, would we? Self empowered women who look the way they want??? Oh no, we can't have that... What's next? Women who DO what they want? Who live how they want? Sleep with whomever they want, IF they want??

Hillary was right: A woman's place IS in the house, and the senate, and... Everywhere she freaking wants to be. When she wants to be. Looking the way she wants to look. So there.

:thumbsup: Right on!

I especially agree with your last paragraph.
To reference another recent debate -- women shouldn't have to be expected to "do it all," but they can do whatever they want to do. :)

to answer the OP, yes the media is out of control scrutinizing public figures (don't get me started), but since the pictures are already out there, i will say that all the ladies in the photos look fantastic!
Micayla -- I do agree; it's really imbedded in our culture to scrutinize public figures, especially if they're female, but I also agree that I'm glad for Hillary growing out her hair. :)

As for those who say APL isn't long -- maybe not by LHC standards, but IRL in general, especially for older women in the public eye, I'd definitely say it qualifies. Especially with Hillary's accessories for updos. :)

JuliaDancer
July 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
It's hilarious that her hair really isn't "long" at all! Just "longer". It just barely shoulder length! I love seeing older women with long hair. I saw a motorcycle "chick" (probably in her late 50s) with butt-length long flowing blonde/white hair when I was upstate at Lake George this past weekend, and it was awesome. She was wearing skinny jeans and a tank top and she was super fit. She had wrinkles and crows feet and she was sexy as all hell. I can't imagine her having the same appeal with a pixie... With the wrinkles and fit body, she would look more manly. More older women should embrace long hair if they want it!

Artisticat
July 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I see Hilary as a role model for powerful and professional women over 50 to wear long(er) hair. In my lifetime, I don't believe I've seen a "mature" female political figure with hair longer than a bob.

Movie stars and celebrities aside - Hilary's breaking new ground here and other "regular" women are sure to be inspired and follow. Kudos to her!

You don't have to be a "helmet head" anymore to be taken seriously or kick butt! :eyebrows: :D

anniebelle
July 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I was just thinking that Hillary must enjoy and take some pride in her hair. I remember when she was first lady she wore headbands quite a bit and the media, of course, commented on that and sort of made fun of it.:rolleyes:

dulce
July 15th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I would love to see Hilary go silver and to her waist and wear a french braid but somehow don't think that will happen..

merseaone
July 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM
That's cool, I'm happy for her. It seems funny to me to read "She got a longer hairdo," though (in the photo gallery, not the article) - almost makes it sound like she got extensions, rather than *gasp* let her hair grow another inch or two. It almost sounds they want to say she got a new haircut, but didn't know how to make that work.

She used to have long hair back in the day (yep, found proof (http://gabbonesso.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hillaryclinton1960s.jpg)).

Those are some butt ugly pants!

merseaone
July 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Holy cow, NECK LENGTH is longer than usual for a woman her age? Give me a break.

If anything, the article makes a real freak out of women like me then.

ETA: I didn't read the article. Apparently, it is pro-long hair.

I wonder what they would say about me? Here is a picture of me when I was 54 - two years ago:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4254&pictureid=109867

merseaone
July 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hilary Clinton rocking a ponytail and looking quite FAB as she dines with Norweigian Royals!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/hillary-clinton-norway_n_1563374.html?ref=style#s=1047558

I personally am not a fan of ponytails except for when running or it is a fancy do. This comes from a tramatic event in my youth. I love braids! and when I was in high school my BFF and I use to pull the sides of our hair up to make ponytails and leave the back down. I loved it and have wondered what would happen if I ever wore my hair like that when my hair actually gets long again?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Nevatyotgq4/TXFi74skmwI/AAAAAAAABXE/I2kbTcK_-Gg/s1600/More%2BMoods%2B009.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LQbSW9dhB30/TsUxaNoWPQI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/E5CNGtWr-LU/s1600/Hair+Update+and+other+things+023.JPG

dulce
July 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Merseaone,I'm 60 with hip length silver streaked hair,you're right, a lot of the general population does see us older ladies with long hair as oddities.Where I live it's shoulder layered length for younger folks and very short hair for ladies/men over 50.It's such a treat to see long hair[to waist] here as it's fairly rare.Knee and very long lengths are never seen where I live.Hopefully some day that will change.

dulce
July 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Once your hair gets longer try a french braid,it's so elegant for any age!

merseaone
July 15th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Once your hair gets longer try a french braid,it's so elegant for any age!

I've worn the french braid in the past and loved it. I love my hair long but this growing out process from 0 to.... is aggravating and hot especially with the temps flying up to the 100's lately! I told my husband just last night that I was thinking of cutting my hair short - always love the look when I say that! Deer in headlight look with red and yellow nose. No kidding, his nose turns shades of red and yellow when I say things like that or weird things begin to happen (like Thursday when our garage door decided to give up the ghost and between the two of us we tore it up so bad we had to get someone to come out that night to fix it!)

dulce
July 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The growing out sucks!But it is so worth it! I put a pic on my mirror of someone who had my goal length hair[waist at the time]and looked at it daily ,it helped me on those frustrating days that I just wanted to chuck it all but knew I would regret it if I did cut.It helped me grow from a pixie to waist plus,such a great day when I could take that pic down as I got to my goal.

merseaone
July 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
My ex use to say that my ministry in life was to cut my hair then grow it out because I was always doing so! The longest I have ever had my hair was just before chemo. I literally have started from ground zero and it is at that stage where you can bearly pull it back to get it off your neck and shoulders - killer especially with the extra hot weather we have had lately.