PDA

View Full Version : Wet hair options and sleep braid question

WaitingSoLong
August 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Question #1: I put my hair in a sleep braid (as many do). Is there anyway to put my hair up for sleeping that keeps the ends protected?

Question #2: Are there any up-do's I can do while my hair is wet and leave it all day? (Is it bad for hair to remain wet all day in a bun?). I have been washing my hair at night and putting it in a braid while wet to sleep. It is still mostly wet in the braided part in morning and then I have to leave it down til it dries. I am too impatient.

Suggestions?

Anyone have a favorite WET long hair do?

sarah061
August 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I put my hair into a bun on the top of my head when I sleep so that my ends stay protected but it doesn't get in the way when I sleep!

I don't think it's bad putting wet hair into a bun... as long as you don't have to manipulate the hair too much in order to do the style because that could be damaging... But I know on the ficcare website they say it's fine to use on wet hair, so you could always do an updo with that.

Rivanariko
August 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM
1) You could try a sleep cap. I know there are a few members who use them. You just stuff all of your hair up inside of it at night and everything is protected. I've been thinking about trying it (in conjunction with a braid, probably, because my hair will tangle inside the cap.) because my ends have been looking kind of sad lately.

2) no idea, I'll be glad to hear any suggestions. I try to wash my hair early enough in the evening that it can dry before I braid it for bed.

OR Cowgirl
August 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
1) I tried sleep caps and just couldn't stand them so I made a satin "sleeping bag" for my braid or banded ponytail. Right side to the inside so it doesn't snag. I'm no seamstress so it's nothing fancy, I keep it on with a scrunchie! :o

2) My very favorite wet hair style is Lady Godiva's Log Roll! Works great with not much twisting. I secure it with Ficcare. (Instructions are in the Articles section.)

metrykat
August 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't like sleeping caps either, the elastic around the front bothers me.
My solution is so simple, I took a pair of old pajama pants, the kind made of t-shirt material, and cut the leg off. The part at the cuff of the pant let goes around my head and stays without felling like there is anything attached, then the bottom, where it will be wider than the cuff, I tuck my hair inside and tie the end in a knot or with a cord so my hair stays completely covered root to tip.
I can't tell you how comfortable this is. The soft material lets your scalp breath but totally protects you hair.
This is also great for when you are going to be in enviroment where you hair may get dusty or covered in paint..lol.
if the front feels too loose, just use a soft headband.

Cleopatra18
August 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have been wet-bunning most of the summer.After I get out of the shower i just apply some leave in on my ends and then do a lazy wrap bun and just leave it till next day or whenever i want to readajust it.I must say though that i dont think my hair ever completetly dried with this method even after several days.I dont think it's a bad thing though because wet bunning supposely increases moisture level in your hair.

missfortune9335
August 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I french braid my hair for bed, and then I just oil the ends liberally. Most of the oil is soaked in by morning, and I'm going to be putting it up anyway. I know there are quite a few members here who bun their hair while wet and haven't had any problems, however I personally would be wary of having my hair wet all night and then putting it up and having it wet all day (my hair would not dry compleatly during the day if it were up) since hair is most fragile while wet, I just wouldn't want it in that state for *that* long. I don't know if this is an option for you, but on wash days I wash my hair at night after my workout and then I let it air dry while DH and I eat dinner and watch TV etc. It's mostly dry by the time I go to bed, then I braid it and it's dry by morning. But that's just my two cents...

Gvnagitlvgei
August 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You can get a netted hair cap that allows your head to breathe while protecting it from tangling. You can twist up your hair and put it into a soft bun at the base of your head then put on the cap. No pins, no rubberbands and it's airy. I sometimes get them at Sally but most are either black or brown.

http://www.totallyfashiontrendy.com/Snoods_Rayon_Crochet_Hair_Snoods_Hair_Net_p/snr-000.htm

WaitingSoLong
August 29th, 2010, 05:58 AM
You are all awesome! The only option I had heard of before was a tail-bag (for horses). I looked into these quite a bit and the way they stay on creates too much bulk at the base of the braid.

My sleep braid actually gives me a headache. Again, it is the way I sleep (flat on back) with my neck supported by my pillow, I cannot have anything at the base of my neck. My braid is too thick at the base I guess.

I LOVE the pajama pants idea, I could eaily pick up a pair to destroy at Goodwill or something. I am just amazed they stay on??

I cannot do sleep caps. I tried those, they just do not stay on and I didn't like the ring around the head (elastic).

I actually went to sleeping loose, but it really causes issues.

Last night I tried a pony-tail on top of my head. I will never do that again! MAJOR tangles and a headache and the pony tail holder was half way down the length by morning.

I think I will try the top of the head bun, too.

I can put on leave-in, but I have decided, after months, that my hair does not like oil. I just don't know i I can break the habit, though! I REALLY wanted to hear that I can leave my hair wet in a careful way for extended times and this is OK. FREEDOM! lol

THANK YOU EVERYONE