PDA

View Full Version : Strange texture from jojoba oil

christine1989
August 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I recently decided to try out jojoba oil since I hear rave reviews about in here on LHC. After using it for a few days I noticed that it gives my hair the feel (and look) of synthetic hair. It looks really nice and shiny but it feels like it is made out of acrylic fiber especially on the ends. I'm not sure if it is drying out my hair or if the strange texture is due to the fact that is is a liquid wax (not a true oil). Has anyone else's hair had strange reactions to jojoba oil? Should I stop using it? Could it possibly be causing damage? :confused:

little_cherry
August 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Is it pure jojoba oil? If yes, then I guess it is building up very quickly on your hair. Do you use cones?

Condition soak-wash with shampoo-condition usually helps to remove the build up.

christine1989
August 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I don't use cones but I agree that it might be building up in the ends. I shampooed my ends really well twice and that seemed to get rid of the strange texture. Funny though, I can load my hair up with any other kind of oil and get no buildup at all. I wonder what makes jojoba so different?

crazy_margaret
August 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I had the same troubles with jojoba. I switched to no cones and clarified and it still gave me the same results. I swtiched to coconut oil and am sooo happy with it!

Phexlyn
August 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Jojoba oil is actually a wax and not an oil. Maybe that's why it doesn't work for you?

I don't think it can cause damage, but if you don't like what it does to your hair, better stop using it. You can try it on your skin if you like, and see if that goes better.

My hair doesn't like jojoba oil as well, but I'm not sure if that's because it's not pure or if it's just the jojoba itself.