PDA

View Full Version : I caused my first strange reaction to long hair!

RavennaNight
August 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM
So, I was sitting on the 1 train, on my way up to the King Tut exhibit. I was minding my business, reading an ebook, with my sunglasses still on. My almost-TB length hair was down. I was almost at my stop so I lifted my head and started putting my ebook away and get ready to get up. As I looked up, I noticed a blonde lady, maybe in her 50's, looking at me. As in eyeballing me up and down. The I realized she was looking at my hair, curling her nose at it! As if it was too long and icky! I had my sunglasses on so she couldn't see I was looking at her too. I know she wasn't looking at my clothes or something else, because a plain black tanktop and jeans is not too interesting.

So I tested the situation. I pulled some of my hair foreward, and started smoothing it and finger combing it. I have never seen someone get so freaked out, making faces at it. She realized I saw her and she looked at me. I smiled at her broadly, and got up to go to the doors and flung my hair as I walked. I saw the stunned look on her face as she realized I had seen her, and her oddly exaggerated negative reaction to my hair.

People are an interesting species.

DuckyDot
August 27th, 2010, 05:08 AM
What's Wrong with People? You Didn't Ask them For their Opinion!
Anyway you have Lovely Hair :)

Silly People.

swanns
August 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I just can't even begin to comprehend what's so supposedly disgusting about long hair. :confused: I mean, I do get it that a lot of people don't particularly like it, but to actually be disgusted by it?

bumblebums
August 27th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I don't like the 1 train. It stops every three blocks. Seriously, who needs that 18th street stop? :)

And what a strange story. There is an interesting philosophy book called "The Anatomy of Disgust"--and it discusses hair at length. Quite enlightening.

Marjolein
August 27th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Ha, I LOVE your response. You totally owned the situation. Good for you!!

wvgemini
August 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
How bizarre! And way to handle the looks of disgust :)

RachelRain
August 27th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I like the way you handled it :)

I've never had that kind of situation. My boyfriend's best friend has a weird phobia type thing going with long hair, but we deal with it by me and my boyfriend sitting on a different couch so my hair doesn't touch her. I can't imagine someone actually acting so ridiculous for no reason at all.

CrisDee
August 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Wow. Boggles my mind. And yes, you truly did own that situation, you rock! :cheese:

I've seen several people now who have posted about getting "creeped out" reactions to their very long hair, and I've tried to ponder what in the world is making people react that way to something as natural as hair. The only thing I've been able to come up with (and it may be complete bovine defocation) is that with modern culture's edict that hair is to be cut, cut, cut, people are starting to perceive long head hair in the same way they perceive womens' underarm hair - something icky, unhygienic, I-shouldn't-have-to-look-at-that. A very sad state of human affairs...

RachelRain
August 27th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Wow. Boggles my mind. And yes, you truly did own that situation, you rock! :cheese:

I've seen several people now who have posted about getting "creeped out" reactions to their very long hair, and I've tried to ponder what in the world is making people react that way to something as natural as hair. The only thing I've been able to come up with (and it may be complete bovine defocation) is that with modern culture's edict that hair is to be cut, cut, cut, people are starting to perceive long head hair in the same way they perceive womens' underarm hair - something icky, unhygienic, I-shouldn't-have-to-look-at-that. A very sad state of human affairs...

Quite possible. I assume some of it's also due to the weird spider-crawling-on-you feeling it can cause.

Carolyn
August 27th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I think you handled that very well. You didn't let her evil looks get you down. You threw her rudeness back in her face without saying a word. You rock. I seem to find myself smiling at people with long hair.

LouLaLa
August 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM
She was clearly just jealous. You have beautiful hair and I wouldnt just say that if it wasnt true, so its her issue.

Even if it were bad, which it clearly isnt, that can always fix hair with an SMT or a trim, she cant fix her horrid attitude.

People can be so darn rude! I think you handled it really well and henn you swished it I bet she was green with envy!

Keep rocking your lovely locks, here they are appreciated!

missjessiecakes
August 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Aww I wanna go see the king Tut Exhibit.

:lol: About the rest.

Some peoples children. Thats all I gotta say

Phexlyn
August 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
What a strange situation. I'll never understand what people find so disgusting about long hair (if it is well kept, as yours obviously is :) ).
Good reaction on your part, though!

Angela_Rose
August 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
You handled that situation with aplomb! Well done, and truly an inspiration.

I agree with JessieCakes- some peoples' kids.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I really don't think that people like this are jealous at all. I just think some people have an issue with long hair, they think it's dead and similar to growing really long fingernails and are grossed out by it. It doesn't happen often and it doesn't bother me when it does. I would prefer someone make a face over my hair than the people who love it and feel the need to touch it randomly. That is what weirds me out ! I don't need a stranger's hands all over my hair.

Jasperine
August 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Haha! I love your reaction :cheese:

xoxophelia
August 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Weird lady. I looove your hair! :)

I'll keep your reaction in mind for when (or if?) I get to TB.

PiroskaCicu
August 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Simply love the way you handled the situation! :) I don't understand why long hair is considered disgusting by some, and also, why someone feels the need to exaggerate and physically express their feelings like that to a stranger... so weird and rude!

Your hair is so beautiful ! :)

Juneii
August 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
LOL! It's funny how some people can be so fascinated by long hair and then there are people like her who freak out at the sight of it!
Why would people openly make faces at things they don't like towards others? What if that woman made a face towards someone who gets a violent reaction? That can't possibly end well.
I think you handled it well Ravenna :) your hair looks beautiful!

twilight_faerie
August 27th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I think that some people are grossed out by long hair simply because it's old. That's what my hairdresser's opinion is, anyway. When I told her that I want to grow my hair out really long, she looked grossed out and said something like, "You can't let your hair get too long, you have to get the old hair cut off every now and then." It's like they think hair somehow becomes unsanitary when it gets old.

Angeletti
August 27th, 2010, 09:22 AM
What a strange thing considering she has the same stuff on her head (only shorter and probably not as pretty as yours). I would love to see her reaction if she came across an LHC meet with multiple long haired individuals : )

skay
August 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Wow, sounds like she was a little strange or had some issues.

Heaven help her if she ever goes to a place like Hawaii where many women have long hair. ;) LOL. :D

Anyway, sounds like you handled it great!

MissCoco
August 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
My personal opinion is that these women have issues with what is natural. They'd rather see fake hair, fake eye colors, etc. as long as it's not "too natural" or "too old". They don't have the taste for classy, timeless things like long hair that take great care and patience to have. They'd rather conform to the "fresh" and "sexy" stuff that society in general promotes quite strongly.

Anyway, I'll keep in mind the way you handled that woman. I think I would've done the exact same thing. These people make my blood boil! :mad:

MissCoco
August 27th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Heaven help her if she ever goes to a place like Hawaii where many women have long hair. ;) LOL. :D

Ahh, how I would love to join in and see feminine, long-haired women there! Not only that, I love Hawaiian music too! :D

Xi
August 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Great response to the crazy lady, RavennaNight! :laugh: I'm confused -- long hair has been considered a key element of a woman's beauty in so many cultures, for so many thousands of years... And suddenly it is disgusting? Do these strange people imagine fairytale heroines with short hair? Do they think Queen Guenever and Helen of Troy had short hair? Do they imagine short-haired elves? :ponder::crazyq:

ravenreed
August 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I had an acquaintance tell me I shouldn't grow my hair too much longer or it would be 'freakishly long." :rollin: Maybe nowadays very long hair is like excessive tattoos or less mainstream piercings? Those of us, and our admirers, who are into it are very into it and those who aren't think we are nuts? Eh, doesn't bug me a bit.

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I know it's bad to be mean and it won't change anything but I hope she felt silly when she noticed that you saw her.
How long hair can be irritating for someone? I cannot understand such way of thinking. It takes too much place or what?:D I have no idea.

Igor
August 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hilarious! I’ll remember this if I’ll ever get in that situation :wink:

I know most people on this board will refuse to acknowledge it, but most people in this world have long hair because they don’t care for it. The healthy, pampered strands people have here on LHC are in the absolute minority around people with long hair. Chances are that the old woman has never, ever encountered someone with tailbone length healthy hair and responded with what she knows from previous encounters: That long hair is disgusting and she was weirded out by it

It’s a stereotype and it tends to be annoying. There are only two ways to deal with it: Either educate people or have some fun with their disgust :eyebrows:

paperwhite
August 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Well done in dealing with a rude stranger! It's one thing to not like what you see on someone else, but no one was forcing her to look, either.

JenniferNoel
August 27th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Remember folks. Smile. It confuses people.

People are so weird, the most interesting and irrelevant things are constantly flowing through the minds of the unaware.

I've never gotten any bad reactions to my hair, just weird ones. Back when it was just about your length. People used to ask me where I got my extensions and how long my hair really was.

Nevada Rose
August 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I like to live by the rule of, "Live and Let Live." It works for me.

MissCoco
August 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Remember folks. Smile. It confuses people.

Hah! If I catch someone randomly looking at me with a face of disapproval or worse, I give a smile full of appreciation! Works every time! :D

Themyst
August 27th, 2010, 02:04 PM
The woman probably had some kind of weird hang up about hair. I don't like 'bobs', but I don't go around wrinkling my nose in disgust at them. :hmm:

Yozhik
August 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I love it how you pushed the envelope with her :)
That's why I always think that sunglasses are sneaky . . . you never know where people are looking ;)

Arianwen
August 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Yo be real careful about having your hair down on public transportation, not the least of which it could get caught on a bolt/seat/on someone's bag/backpack etc not to mention there are sick freaks out there that cut people's hair on public transportation. *shudder*

I like how you handled her rude looks at you, plus how was the exhibit???

Othala
August 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hmmm....you could be describing my mother and her normal reaction to long hair. Well done for dealing with it brilliantly.

Charlotte:)
August 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Whoa! I have never in my life heard of someone getting grossed out by long hair. Perhaps she had some sort of traumatic hair experience as a child?

Hylia
August 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Thats interesting, I`ve never heard of anyone being grossed out by hair, especially on a female! I have however, seen people act negatively towards my boyfriend with long hair, but when my hair was close to waist, I`ve never got that kind of reaction before. But even so, why would she stare? Has she never seen long hair before.

princessp
August 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I really don't think that people like this are jealous at all. I just think some people have an issue with long hair, they think it's dead and similar to growing really long fingernails and are grossed out by it. It doesn't happen often and it doesn't bother me when it does. I would prefer someone make a face over my hair than the people who love it and feel the need to touch it randomly. That is what weirds me out ! I don't need a stranger's hands all over my hair.

I agree with you here, some people just don't like it. To each their own.

Anyway, I happen to adore your hair.

Beatnik Guy
August 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Good job! :rockerdud
:D

CherrySilver
August 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Um, gee, I'd have been really tempted to start making funny faces at her!

RachelRain
August 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Thats interesting, I`ve never heard of anyone being grossed out by hair, especially on a female! I have however, seen people act negatively towards my boyfriend with long hair, but when my hair was close to waist, I`ve never got that kind of reaction before. But even so, why would she stare? Has she never seen long hair before.

My boyfriend's best friend is grossed out by hair, but we think it has to do with recreational drugs (like they gave her supersensitive skin or something) more than anything else.

And I've noticed from college when I used to take the T everyday... people stare at things they don't like even more than they do at things they *do* like. I'm not sure why, or why they think people won't eventually realize they're being stared at.

aksown
August 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
A friend of mine was really grossed out whenever he would find a long shed hair anywhere. He pulled one from the door pocket of someone else's van, looked at the owner (van and hair) and had a fit about it. A year later he married a woman with waistlength, 3a-b, M, iii hair. He got over his horror after her first pregnancy, when she clogged the drain ever week.
I think it was divine justice! :D

RavennaNight
August 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Wow this thread grew!:o Sorry I haven't been back to respond! Thanks for all the positive feedback about my reaction:)

As far as the jealousy issue, I am positive it wasn't that. The frankness of her reactions don't allow me to believe that for a second.

The exhibit was awesome. I am always amazed at what feats and rituals humans have achieved on their quest for the unknown and for meaning. The heiroglyphs, the gold, and Tut himself! I saw it all once when I was a kid. Now, seeing it as a grown adult it really enhances the experience. Tut was originally in a tomb, within another tomb, within yet another tomb, and in there was a sarcophagus in a sarcophagus and finally inside, Tut mummified with a death mask. And let's not forget the canopic jars...

triumphator!
August 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Wonderful reaction! That woman seemed to have no idea how rude and appalling she was acting. But you showed her, didn't you? :)

MissManda
September 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I laughed so hard while reading this! :rollin: You had such a great response and if that ever happens to me, I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing! :)

breezefaerie
September 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM
You handled that pefectly! And, your hair is gorgeous!

Anisaa
September 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
First of all you have LOVELY hair, she was just probably marveled by it!

tanya222
September 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
Um, gee, I'd have been really tempted to start making funny faces at her!

Just what I was thinking when I read the story!

I mean, Ravenna, the way you handled it was superb, but me, I'm liable to have stared at her hair and pulled a face or two LOL :o :eek: