PDA

View Full Version : I will be so much happier when my hair is x length!

Cupofmilk
August 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I am going through another phase of the dreaded "I will be so much happier when my hair is back to near classic length" .

It is so silly really. I shouldn't have cut that much off it. I don't know why I allowed my mother to bully me into it. She caught me at a very vulnerable time.
I now come on here and think but my hair would easily be classic now. (and I kept some of the strands and stick them on the end of my hair and think oh dear!) And then realise I am a short hair (for me) again every time I look in the mirror.

I have no idea how long it takes to grow back 18 inches as right now it seems like I am getting no growth at all.

I wish I could move on. I have to don't I. I have short hair (by my standards) now and I just have to accept it. Oddly I have only done S&D for the last 8 months and my hair is soft and silky and doesn't need a trim. LOng may that last.

I will measure in next week to see if I can get an idea of growth. The trouble is I permanently have some sort of braid wave ... now I tend to wear in lots of smaller and tighter braids rather than one long loose one.... I think they are curlier waves (ie take more length off my hair) ... Can anyone confirm that. I should let it dry naturally and see where I get to.

Arianwen
August 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I'm sorry your mother did that to you, all I can say is what my mother once said to me "It will grow back." Let it be a lesson to you not to let anyone you do not trust 100% near your hair.

Gabriel
August 27th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I'm sorry you were pressured into getting a cut you didn't really want. You still have very long hair though! I realize not by your standards and that it's not really a comfort...

Hair on average grows about half an inch a month. So you're probably looking at about three years for 18 inches to grow back. This does vary on your own hair's personal growth of course. That's just an average.

Try to stop looking at it and obsessing. The only thing that will help it grow is time and if you stress about it you're only going to cause yourself unnecessary anguish. Put away those locks of hair you saved from the cut for at least a year then compare them.

Try to start tracking your growth so you know about how long your monthly average grow times are.
You'll need to measure over a period of time and usually get an average of what your growth is if your hair has any wave to it, that's what I do.

Then stop measuring for a while. Learn some new up dos and hide your hair. Try some of the up do challenge threads. That way you aren't always looking at your hair feeling it's lost length.

Treat it kindly so your ends don't need a trim for as long as possible so you can gain the maximum growth in between trims.

If you've never done a hair typing picture you should try it out. Use a clarifying shampoo and let it dry without conditioner or manipulation. (you can rewet and add conditioner/style as needed afterwards)

Good luck and many hugs!

Cupofmilk
August 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Some good ideas there.I think I may give here a miss for a bit (after a measure in of course).
I did have one look at those cut off strands - they would take me to classic...oh well. Oddly I thought actually I am not sure that classic isn't too long for me.
I did have doubts about my hair when I cut it mostly beacuse I hadnt' found LHC and didn't know about how best to look after it and buns and updos!

joiekimochi
August 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
It will grow back!

I had TBL hair which I had to cut off to BSL late last year, because modeling and aggressive styling ruined the bottom half. Now it's almost back to waist and amazingly soft and silky thanks to LHC care. I thought it would never grow back to its former length, and progress was so painfully slow, and for the first few months of cutting it I would gripe and moan and measure obsessively. However, I finally decided that I shouldn't waste my emotions on my hair and went on with life and stopped caring about the length of my hair. I even found happiness in other things in life, unrelated to my hair. Fast-forward 6+ months of no measuring and no caring and my hair is grazing waist!

In short, take care of your hair's condition now, and before you realize it, you will have classic-length, amazingly perfect shiny hair!

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I had such cut once too. I didn't want it but... Hairdressed caught me in very vulnerable time too, "It's the most fashionable hairstyle..." and I lost about 10 inches.

We cannot undo it. Don't look in the mirror thinking of your hair before the cut. Don't think "It was classic length", think "It will be classic length"! And you know your hair grows in every second, right? You are closer and closer to your goal. Enjoy the journey. Don't torment yourself, it won't undo the cut. Just enjoy the journey. Growing is as fun as having long hair;)