PDA

View Full Version : Question about dry hair/weather

April1
May 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone here experiences dryer than normal looking hair when the weather is damp/wet. My hair has done this for years and years now, and I cant understand why it would do this????????? On a nice sunny day my hair looks ok, but as soon as it starts raining, my hair, especially the sides, looks terribly dry. And no amount of oil, or conditioner or whatever seems to help in any way. Its almost as if the damp air is sucking out any moisture that my hair has in it. Some people have said in the past 'your hair is so dry' and all i feel like saying is well wait untill its not raining and it will look better.

Does anyone else have a similar problem, or know why this is happenng??

Thanks...........April.

Katurday
May 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Actually, I think a case of the frizzies is very common for many people.
Many girls in my school go frantic whenever it rains because their hair will turn into a giant ball of dry fluff.
I'm gonna suggest...Updos.
I wish I could say more, but my hair only looks good in moist weather and looks terrible in dry weather.
Living in Canada was a bad plan to say the least.

April1
May 21st, 2008, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the reply. And yes, updos is the only way around this. Im still curious as to WHY/HOW this happens though. What actually MAKES it do it????

Anyone????:)

n3m3sis42
May 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
I don't really know the answer, but I'm wondering if it's sort of related to the way your lips get chapped and dry if you lick them a lot. Maybe having all that moisture (from the damp air) on your hair leaves it dry when it evaporates? Myabe the moisture in the air somehow "attracts" the moisture in your hair and pulls it away? Magical pixie dust? I don't know. :)

Silver & Gold
May 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
My guess is that you are confusing dry with less shiny. Hair looks shiny when it is lying relatively smooth and straight. But when your hair sucks up moisture it curls up and the cuticle probably fluffs up a bit with the added moisture as well. This would make your hair absorb light rather than reflect it and so it doesn't look shiny. And since it doesn't look shiny, it looks dry to you. Make sense?

April1
May 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, that really does make sense. Thanks:)

rhubarbarin
May 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Yes, my hair gets dry-looking and puffy in humidity/rain as well. No idea why!

However it used to be just awful when I used cones. Now that I am cone free I get a little bit of frizz, and my hair is a little bigger, but not the dread 'expanding cloud'.

Updos keep it safe.