PDA

View Full Version : Which side of the family did you get your hair from?

TealDolphin
August 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
My dad's side of the family is basically all straight hair, and my mom's side is wavy/curly hair. I got my curly/wavy hair from her, but the color of my hair from my dad's side.

Soraine
August 26th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've got a mixture of both actually. My dad has curly hair, which he cuts short so it looks straight instead of curly, and my mom has straight hair. I guess I inherited both traits since my hair, although predominantly straight, has corkscrew curls in them which is kind of weird.

buzzlegum
August 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Same here: my Dad and his parents have straight hair but my Mom and her parents have curly/wavy hair. I got the curls and colour from my mother, but she insists that I did get something from Dad as well because my hair is a lot thicker than hers!

Antipodienne
August 26th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hmm, good question. Most of my dad's family was deceased before I was born, but from photos they all seem to have darker hair. I'd bet that I got it from my mom, but mine is a bit more coarse than hers.

HuggyBear
August 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I got my hair from my mom's side: blonde, straight & fine. My dad's side of the family has dark, thick, curly hair. My brother got the thick hair and the pretty, long eyelashes....so not fair.

Yozhik
August 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I got my hair from my father's side, which I was unbelievably bitter about for a long time -- I wanted my mom's coarse, black, stick-straight hair! Strangely, when I was younger, I did have something very like it, but as I grew older, it got browner and wavier :shrug:

I like it now, though :)
Also, it's not quite as curly as my dad's side, so maybe I have a mixture of both parents? :hmm:

little_cherry
August 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I got a mixture of dad's thick course hair and mum's fine strands (and hereditary early silvers.) I have fine, medium and course strands on my head. I used to have a hard time balancing my hair care routine to cater to all the hair types, but now I know what to do.

LoversLullaby
August 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I got my curl from my dad's side and my color and thickness from my mom's side. It's a mesh of the two. :)

Soraine
August 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I got my hair from my mom's side: blonde, straight & fine. My dad's side of the family has dark, thick, curly hair. My brother got the thick hair and the pretty, long eyelashes....so not fair.

Do you girls ever notice that guys tend to get the nicest, longest, curliest lashes? I'm so envious! How come they get the good stuff!

christine1989
August 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I'm adopted so that's anyone's guess! :)

Qwerty Uiop
August 26th, 2010, 11:03 PM
My Mom and her sister both have curly red hair . My dad has straight brown hair that was curly and blond as a toddler, so I think I get my hair from him--mine was straight before LHC and now it's wavy.

My son's hair is EXACTLY like my late sister's.

-j-
August 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Both my mum and dad had black and wavy-curlyish hair, only mum´s hair is really coarse and dad´s softer.
I guess I´m somewhere in between. I only have lighter colour, it is brown and not black.

MandyBeth
August 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I got color and density from Dad. Also seem to have the growth pattern of that side. I got shade and crazy long lashes from my Gpa on Mom's side and the ultra fine hair and early white from Gma. Mom is a 1a, Dad is a 3b, I'm a 1b.

renarok
August 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I have my dad's hair exactly. His hair is thick, white, and he keeps it in a flat top because it grows straight up! He didn't go grey completely until he was about 75. He is 80 now.

Naamah
August 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Both. My mom has wavy hair, and my dad's family has wavy hair. I think my hair is most similar to my Aunt's, though. My dad's sister. She has waist length 2a/2b / M / iii reddish hair. It's beautiful and it's my inspiration. My hair is slightly less wavy and thinner than hers, and also slightly longer than hers. But I love her hair!

Roseate
August 26th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Mother's side, all the way. My dad is bald, and all the women in his family have relatively fine, thin hair.

My mom's hair is just as thick as mine, but about one degree curlier; she's more like a 3a/M/iii. Her mother was a solid 3b so we all have tons of hair but seem to be losing curl with each generation!

ETA: and the color is... neither. Everyone on both sides of the family has dark brown or black hair, no idea where I got this from!

UltraBella
August 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I got my natural color from my dad. My mom was curly and my dad straight, so I ended up wavy. Both my parents had thick heads of hair so I have enough for a couple people :)

bridgetsgirl
August 27th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Both-my mom's dark brown and my dad's semi-coarse, thick, wurly hair. My sister got our mom's fine, straight texture, and it's looking like her hair will be as dark as mine in a few years.

Loreley
August 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Fortunately I have my dad's hair. :D His family has very thick, dark and wavy hair. My mum has very thin and fine brown hair. She wears it short but I'm sure it must be i or i/ii. Her hair is sraight.
My sister has a mixture of these. Her below waist-length hair is pretty thick (ii/iii maybe?), F/M, and I think it's 2a or 2b. It's dark blond.

Vampire
August 27th, 2010, 01:19 AM
luckily i got my dads hair, wavy and thick, my mums is so thin and straight

Themyst
August 27th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I got my mom's side - she's of Eastern European descent with golden brown/straight hair, that's what I have.

I envy my dad though - his family is from north Wales and even though he's in his 70's, his jet black hair is still black. He's hardly graying at all!

Arianwen
August 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I got my mom's hair, wurly, kind of bananas and the colour is courtesy of both sides. My mom has gone a really nice gray, it makes her look kind of light blonde...I hope when I totally gray it's the same colour.

DuckyDot
August 27th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Both, A mix of My Mum's Tight Curls and Dad's Loose Waves made me 2c/3a. A mix of my Dad's Light Brown and My Mum's Black/VERRRYYYYY Dark Brown Hair. I have Dark/Medium Hair. I have my Dad's Super long Eyelashes and One of his Eye Colours (Two Toned Eyes). Neither of My Parents are Greying Much. Especially My Dad, He has about 2 Grey Hairs and he's in his 50's :D :D .

melikai
August 27th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I think I get my hair from my mother's side, more specifically from my mother, as her hair used to be blonde, straightish, and fine. Now she bleaches the hell out of it, and it went curlier once she had kids.

My father has reddish-blonde-brown hair, that is quite wavy, and other family members have black hair!

Captain Nikki
August 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I got mums fine, brown hair. Dad's got (or had) thick, black hair.

Flossy
August 27th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I was just wondering this today.

I must be a throwback to a distant relative. I have the same colour as my mum (as well as her long lashes) but the texture is totaly different. My dad had fine hair, and mum's is thick and straight (and grows like a weed), and mine is kind of in the middle.

I'm hoping that my hair will grey as well as mum's, and my nan's. Nan is 92 and has salt and pepper hair, with more dark than grey, even now. I haven't found a grey on my head yet!

kitschy
August 27th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Definitely from my dad. My mom has thin, fine, straight and dark hair ( which is permed in this picture. My dad was a very curly blond.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs066.ash2/36683_1350215283962_1488766783_30887650_1384355_n. jpg

eamane
August 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I got my fathers hairtype and my mothers coloring I think, but I'm going grey like my fathers mother :rolleyes: A little bit from everyone ;)

smileycat
August 27th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Both of my parents have fine, straight, sort of thin hair, with my mother's hair a light brown and my father's hair a medium brown. I have dark blonde, fine, straight hair with medium to thick volume. I have no complaints! Both have very little gray in their sixties.

RadiantNeedle
August 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I got my colouring from my mother's side; pale skin, medium brown hair with the tendency to go blonde with sun exposure, blue eyes. Actually, I call myself a tortoiseshell because, while my hair is predominantly brown, I could pick out golden blonde, black, and flame red hair when it was waist length virgin hair. Crazy!
I'm not sure where my straight-when-young-and-wavey-as-I-get-older hair is coming from, but I think my mum's hair has been going curly as she gets older, so probably from her.
My father's side are all daaark dark hair.

Do you girls ever notice that guys tend to get the nicest, longest, curliest lashes? I'm so envious! How come they get the good stuff!

I know! Grr! That irks me! *flaily arms*

Anlbe
August 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
both my genetic parents have very thin, fine, dark, straight hair. I have my maternal grandfathers hair; wavy, a bit brittle, blonde to brown hair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I go white like him at 35.

swanns
August 27th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Definitely from my dad's side. My mum has very traditionally Finnish hair, very fine, straight and light brown. My dad had very thick and almost black hair, don't know if it was particularly curly though, it was never long enough to find out :D All of his siblings have very thick hair too.

both my genetic parents have very thin, fine, dark, straight hair. I have my maternal grandfathers hair; wavy, a bit brittle, blonde to brown hair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I go white like him at 35.

My grandmother, who I pretty much got my hair from, was white by the age of 30. I too hope I go the same route :)

Miasen
August 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
My grandmother (mom's mom) and her sisters all say that I am the spitting image of their mother, especially when it comes to the hair. ;) My father's side has thin, straight hair for the most part, so yeah, definitely mother's side of the family!

RedheadMistress
August 27th, 2010, 05:48 AM
- My father has black hair, corkscrews and my mother has naturally dark brown slightly wavy hair, like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4931965074_e89318bc3b_z.jpg

I got my dads corkscrews and my mothers colour . . but I dye my hair and don't have my natural hair colour and I've killed most of my corkscrews with straightening and bleaching my hair, which is why it's not much less curly than it naturally is . . but I dont think corkscrews look good on me >___< they can look great on Miranda July, but not me .

chicken
August 27th, 2010, 05:55 AM
My hair is very thick, wavy and dark. I think my mother gave me the color. And her hair is very greasy, like mine. But the thickness and the waves? Don't know, perhaps the postman? :p
There's nobody with hair like mine in our family...

Angela_Rose
August 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I managed to get a pretty good mix of both sides, but my parents’ and their families actually have very similar hair types anyway. Mom & Dad both have thick, coarse hair. Dad’s was really thick and almost wiry (Dad had leukemia & went through chemo, which changed his hair altogether- pre-chemo, it was thick, coarse, black as sin, and wild. Post-chemo, it grew in wispy, fine, pin-straight, and sort of a charcoal color) and Mom’s is thick and would be wurly if she let it grow long again (she had hip-length hair as I was growing up; now it’s shoulder-length) and this lovely rich auburn color, with a really neat greying pattern- she’s greying at the temples in these awesome skunk stripes.
Dad’s brothers and sisters (all 8 of them!) have very thick, coarse hair with minimal greying, and Mom’s two brothers, in their 50’s, still have full heads of thick hair that’s now more salt than pepper. Mom’s mother is still a bright redhead, and hasn’t ever colored it!

So what I got is curly-when-short and wurly-when-long, thick, coarse, strong, very dark brown with natural red highlights color and am starting to see the same greying pattern that Mom has! Score! I loooooooove my hair… I think I won the genetic lottery with it!

And then I have two brothers and a sister. Billy (24) is a blond… no idea where that came from… with coarse hair, but he’s already got a widow’s peak! Nick (20) has hair the same color as mine, but it’s straight as a pin and the texture is… well, we call Nick “brillo-head” because his hair is literally like wires. It’s amazing and it grows straight up off his head into a white-boy ‘fro. The boy blunts clipper blades. Both of my brothers keep their hair in wiffle cuts- that’s the Gurrisi Male Haircut! My horrible sister, Carolyn (22) has dark red hair that’s shoulder-length and fairly curly. She got the same texture I did, but she absolutely butchers her hair- heat styling and ‘cone washes + heavily chemical-laden products EVERY day. Tsk, tsk.

PiroskaCicu
August 27th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I got my mom's side of the family... light brown, with a slight wave. My dad's side is super curly and dark brunette!

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
My mum's side. Ok, I have totally the same hair as my mum and her sister had. I remember my mum dyed her hair... She was a mad scientist. Literally, she was a chemists, but she experimented with hair a lot too.

My dad's family has thinner, but black hair. I wished I had it darker but now I don't. My hair reminds me my mum and thanks to LHC I enjoy what I have instead of wishing on anything else;)

MissCoco
August 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
This is such an interesting thread!

My father's side is a dominant of thick, dark hair with a slight wave and from my mom's side, even though I can't confirm all of it, it's very thick, coarse, nearly black hair with waves/wurls/curls. My maternal grandmother never had a full head of white hair even after turning 80 years old! On the contrary, my paternal grandmother had white hair by the time she was in her late 20's, early 30's. I have no idea which side I'll take when it comes to "whitening", but I do know most of my family members had/have thick dark hair. I mostly took from my mom's wild hair, though. :D

Othala
August 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Either I'm adopted or I am the milkman's daughter, because I don't have hair like anyone in my family.

Jeni
August 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have my mother's hair. Hers is very fine, thin (i, maybe i/ii) and pin straight and light brown. Mine is very fine though slightly thicker (ii) and pin straight. Also my hair is more dark blond.

My dad's is curly/wavy, more m then f and while not thick is thicker then my hair for sure.

Qwackie
August 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
My dad's, his is black and thick (prematurly grey, though... .__.) and grows fast.

PLH
August 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I don't know about the structural side of things - thickness and shape, etc. (no one I know of in my family has long hair) - but the colour is a bit of a mystery. My hair is gingerish (though not fully red like some) and no one among my siblings, parents, aunties/uncles, grandparents or cousins have hair like it. They're all black or blonde, for the most part.

naples
August 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Pretty much just mom. In fact now that its long It looks just like hers from behind. I don though so not gonna get mistaken

ritza
August 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Thickness & color dad side (Natural red/brown),everything else moms...

Happy Hair Growing!

BrightEyes
August 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I got my dad's hair. He has (or had, he's mostly bald now:D) fine, slightly wavy blonde hair.

My mom, on the other hand, has thick dark brown hair with loose soft curls. She usually has it down to her waist. It's gorgeous. And whose hair did my brother inherit? Yep, my mom's.

It's just not fair.:mad:

CurlAhead
August 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hmm.. I think I got the color from my dad, but I don't know about the frizzy curls. Both my parents have curly hair, but my mom said she had she same hair when she was young that I have now, and my dad says I have grandma's curls.. :D

eezepeeze
September 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I got my curly hair from both sides, actually. But the color and thickness is from my mom's side. I have my great grandmother's (paternal) hairline though. In fact, if I want to know what I'll look like when I'm 84, all I have to do is look at pictures of her. Family tells me I'm a lot like her personality-wise, too. Pretty cool, actually :-)

VanillaTresses
September 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I got the color from my mother's side and the texture from my father's side.

kwaniesiam
September 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately I got my dad's fine, thin hair. My mum's hair is much thicker than mine and has some wave to it. I think I got the color from my mum's side though, my dad's hair was naturally black and now mostly grey.

1nuitblanche
September 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm another mix here. Everyone on my dad's side has stick straight hair. Everyone on my mom's side has wurls or curls. I've got mostly straight hair but it isn't anything close to a pin. The colour and thickness and density are about the same on both sides though, so in that respect, it's anyone's guess.

sunrain
September 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hmm, I think the hair on both sides of my family is pretty similar. My dad's sisters have straighter hair, but they do style it a little so I'm not completely sure what it looks like natural. I have my mom's wave, but mine is more pronounced. I used to be bothered that my waves made my hair look kind of frizzy, haha. I believe mom's side of the family has more wave than dad's. Strand thickness seems to be coarse on both sides. Now we kind of have to wonder why my sister has nearly pin straight hair, and why my cousin has incredibly fine strands. :D

RitaPG
September 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM
From my dad, definitely.
My dad had blonde hair as a kid, then it turned darker, now it's black (with greys) always straight.

I have had the same blonde locks as a kid, but then it got darker, not black though. I have no idea what my real color is because the thin strands are brighter, while the thick ones are lighter.. it's a gold-ish reddish brown. All I know is that it's straight lol.
Oh and I have grey strands too. Who goes gray at 22? :no:

My mom had long dark curly hair. I used to wish I had it too, but have come to love mine this way better =]

triumphator!
September 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have my dad's hair, but instead of being brown/black like the hair on his head, it's the color of his beard.

JenniferNoel
September 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Mix. My father has pretty straight (maybe a 1c ish) hair and my mother has curlier hair, like, 2c/3a if I remember right. She styles it a lot.
Color wise my mother has a little more red naturally but I can't remember so once again I'm right in the middle.

Stagecoach
September 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
It's hard to tell. My parents have similar hair types, and from pictorial evidence, so have my ancestors on both sides.

There's even really long hair on both sides!

jasper
September 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
i got it from the thin and wimpy haired side of the family. :cheese:

AspenSong
September 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I feel like I got the majority of my hair genes from my Dad's side...Except for color (Lots of nearly black hair and blue eyes - I got the blue eyes, just not the black hair!) and how fast it grows. That side of the family, just had incredibly FAST growing hair. Everyone. Me? Nope, I got THAT from my mother. lol. Hair that grows at a snails pace.
Otherwise, both sides have the pin straight hair I have. And the prone to oiliness.

estherbeth
September 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I honestly have no clue. Both sides have lots of red hair and both sides have stick-straight hair. :shrug:

kitmarlow
September 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
definitely my dad. his mother and most of his aunts and a sister all went into the beauty industry (and did it LHC style, most of them had hip-length hair that they rarely washed and put up into glorious hairstyles changing with the times, but looking pretty classic). we get hair cuts as a family. my mother keeps her hair very short and permed like mad to look like she belongs with the rest of us thickheads. my father is in his 50s and still has thick thick thick hair: no receding hairline in sight, no gray, no thinning whatsoever. my brother has hair like my mom, though. it's thinning, but not receding or balding.

ArienEllariel
September 5th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I have some variation between my mom and dad's hair. The slight wave from my dad's side but the fine hair from my mom's side. Too bad I didn't get the thick hair that a lot of the ladies on my dad's side have.. :/

Aevra
September 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I got my colour from my mom, but I got the texture and thickness from my dad.

MissManda
September 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I got my dad's color and my mom's straightness. I don't know where my thickness came from because I can't think of any relative whose hair has ever been thick.

Kathie
September 5th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I get my texture and thickness from my Mum.... we both have lots of fine hair so it appears thick.
I'm not sure about the color though... both my mum and dad have dark hair, I have a more medium color.

Krentje
September 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
My dad is bold and my mum has long blonde curly hair -sigh-.

I got the colour from my mum and the structure.. i hope i got it from some straight head from my mother's side!

XcaliburGirl
September 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Pretty much all from my mom's side of the family. My dad and relatives all seem to have lighter color and not as thick.

Capybara
September 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM
To be honest, I don't know. My parents both have huge differences in hair colour, texture, and thickness within their relatives. My hair is more similar to my mother's in colour and thickness, and my dad's in sheen and texture. I'm a mix :)

freezerpop
September 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I got the same color as my mom's sisters - dark ashy brown with some slightly red strands mixed in. I got my mom's early grays. My texture is somewhere between both my parents. My dad has fine but thick, curly hair, and my mom has stick-straight fine, thin hair. Mine is medium thickness, fine, and wavy.

Yasmine91
September 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have my grandmothers hair on my mum's side (moroccan).

So it's a mix of being soft, straight, curly/wavy business going on in there lol.

Garnet66
September 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I got my hair from my mom. She has thick, coarse and wavy hair. Although my hair isn't coarse as hers I did get the thickness and wavyness from her.

In2wishin
September 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I got my color and waves from my mom's side but my thickness from my dad's. My mom has mentioned a number of times how my dad's family all had nice thick hair and no balding :cheer: My eldest brother got his hair from my mom's father: when Grandpa passed away at 96 he was only partially gray but he had a large bald spot on the top of his head which my brother now is developing :p

Gatubela
September 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
My mom I guess. She always had a lot of hair and the color was similar to mine. She wasn't allowed to have long hair though.

Aquamarine
September 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Definitely from my mom's side! :inlove: Almost every woman in mom's family has/had long hair. My great grandmother's hair was past her knees. My grandma(mom's mom) had knee length hair wavy hair and is by far the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen in real life and my mom has thigh length hair. My girl cousins and some of my aunts have hair around waist. As for me, I just reached classic!:D

I guess long hair runs in my family.:p

virgo75
September 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Mine falls right in the middle.

My dad had tightly curly hair and my mom has very fine, straight hair.
My hair is wavy & curly - exactly in the middle of the two.

Thankfully, my mom and my dad's mom both have grown hair to classic and beyond. :D
Which(hopefully) means I can do the same.

NorthernDancer
September 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have no idea where I get my hair from.
Both my parents have thick curly dark brown hair, but me I have ash-blond stick straight hair! My mom apparently had ashy-brown hair for a period of time in her early teens, but it quickly went back to a more golden brown. As a toddler I was platinum blond, then by 10 or so I started going more ashy.

I've often wondered if there was a mix-up at the hospital when I was born, because no one in my entire family has straight ash-blond hair (or any part of that). From parents that have thick (iii at least!) curly brown hair and brown eyes came this blue eyed, stick straight thin blond haired kid? Where does that make sense?
Now blue eyes do run in my family. My grandpa and 1 uncle have blue eyes, so that I can kinda get. But blond straight hair? Not in my entire family tree.

Weird hu?

Tabihito
September 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
My mom's. My hair is exactly like my mom's, only finer. Same thickness, same wurliness, even the same color.

Wish I'd gotten it from my dad's side, though. He's half Cherokee, and his sister has this gorgeous thick, long, mostly-straight dark dark brown hair. My dad's is also very thick, though his is black, and too short for us to tell how straight it would be, but from old photos probably pretty straight. I'm a quarter Cherokee but you could never tell it from looking at me. Though I guess better off than my brother, who is very, very blonde. My little sister got my dad's family's hair though, I'm quite jealous.

Cinnamon Hair
September 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
My mother's side for sure. A lot of the people in her family have my exact shade of warm brown with blonde mixed in.
My father's family mostly have coarse black hair. (Wouldn't have minded that either.)

Alix
September 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Mmm, I got my waves from my mom. I got my thickness from both of them.

I'm not sure where my fine light brown hair came from though. They both have textured very dark brown hair.

RachelRain
September 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hmm.

Thickness from mom, fineness from dad, and the weird color from my mom's mother, who was a redhead. Not sure where the brown came from - we have brunettes in the family (lots of them) but every single one of them started out as a blonde. I was brunette from the getgo. I think the wavy bits also come from my grandmother, but I'm unsure.

lastnite
September 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
both my mom and dad have darkish blonde/light brown hair, but I think I have more of my mom's texture. then again when my dad was young (teens) he had really long hair down to his waist so maybe that rubbed off on me.

one thing we never figured out is where my waves and curls came from. when I was younger it was so curly and my mom didn't know what to do with it, lol. even now if I get it cut to around my shoulders it curls and poofs up. neither of my parents have curls, they have stick straight hair. my grandparents had stick straight hair too (the grandmother I was close with always got perms!). none of my aunts or cousins have curls or waves either, all stick straight. so who knows?

boomtownrat
September 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM
No one in my family has gone silver/grey/white as young as I have, as far as I know. My hair used to be auburn like my dad's and I'd say the amount of wave is probably more similar to his, while the texture before it went silver was fine like my mom's. My mom's side of the family has more blonds - she had naturally platinum blond hair that turned grey and white in her late 50s from what I remember. She's always gotten it permed but I think it's naturally pretty wavy.

EtherealOde
September 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure where I got my hair, to be honest. My mother and her sisters had white blonde hair when young that gradually darkened to a very light brown/dark blonde as adults. Their hair was also curly. My dad's side of the family all had dark hair, some with black hair and the rest were dark brown. Some had curls, some just waves. My mom's side of the family all have thin, fine hair. My dad's side had thick, medium to coarse texture hair.

My sisters have light hair, one is blonde and the other a strawberry blonde. I had red hair when young that darkened up to a brown with red highlights. My sisters have straight hair, my hair is somewhat curly. My sisters have the thin, fine hair of my mother's side, while my hair is a bit thicker, it is nowhere near as thick as my dad's side of the family. And it isn't by any stretch of the imagination coarse in texture.

So I would say, that while I have traits from both sides, I am more like a homogenous mix of the two rather than taking after one side or the other. My sisters are more easily categorized as taking after my mother's side of the family 'hair' tree.